Penn Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
JO 14

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby JO 14 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:16 am

Who makes the best pizza in Philly?

(If they do not deliver, who makes the best delivery pizza?)

OutCold

Postby OutCold » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:59 pm

The best pizza I've had is Joe's at 122 South 16th Street.

Dato

Postby Dato » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:56 pm

Live in Grad Hospital. It's just as cheap if not cheaper than West Philly, it's just as convenient to the law school, it has a lot of charm, and it's way more accessible to Center City.

ksllaw

Postby ksllaw » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:14 am

Hello,

What was your cost of living like at UP law? Thanks very much!

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:36 pm

ksllaw wrote:Hello,

Much cheaper than NYC or DC. If you live in University City or Grad Hospital you can find a modest place for 500-600 dollars a month. Center city gets a little more expensive, usually getting into the 4-figure range if you live by yourself. A roommate or two drastically cheapens a living situation.

Food is aight. Milk is like a ridiculous 5 dollars a gallon, but everything else is reasonably priced.

Nightlife is very affordable. You can get beers for $3-$5 a pop and cocktails just a little more, unless you have extremely fancy tastes...and if you do have extremely fancy tastes, the city of Philadelphia probably isn't for you.

ksllaw

Postby ksllaw » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:16 am

PennBull wrote:

Much cheaper than NYC or DC. If you live in University City or Grad Hospital you can find a modest place for 500-600 dollars a month. Center city gets a little more expensive, usually getting into the 4-figure range if you live by yourself. A roommate or two drastically cheapens a living situation.

Food is aight. Milk is like a ridiculous 5 dollars a gallon, but everything else is reasonably priced.

Nightlife is very affordable. You can get beers for $3-$5 a pop and cocktails just a little more, unless you have extremely fancy tastes...and if you do have extremely fancy tastes, the city of Philadelphia probably isn't for you.

$5/gallon of milk = :x

But thanks for the info.! Also, I love that you have Tim Duncan in your profile pic. But why place a Wolves jersey next to him, haha! :P

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:02 pm

ksllaw wrote:
PennBull wrote:

$5/gallon of milk = :x

But thanks for the info.! Also, I love that you have Tim Duncan in your profile pic. But why place a Wolves jersey next to him, haha! :P

The whole state of Pennsylvania has a dairy subsidy I'm pretty sure, so the price of milk isn't really a cost of living thing, just a Pennsylvania thing. Kinda like the weird liquor laws.

Nickg415

Postby Nickg415 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:23 pm

Just scheduled a phone interview with Dean Post for tomorrow which lead to incessantly daydreaming about attending UPenn. I ended up on this page and loved the information. If I get in I'm sure I'll have a bunch of questions.

hume85

Postby hume85 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:42 pm

Just got accepted into Penn ED, and I am proud as hell to be a part of the Penn Law community. When's the best time to visit next spring? I was hoping to visit in February and find housing then. Would it smart to try to find housing when I visit in the spring? What's the best cheesesteak shop? TYIA

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:51 pm

hume85 wrote:Just got accepted into Penn ED, and I am proud as hell to be a part of the Penn Law community. When's the best time to visit next spring? I was hoping to visit in February and find housing then. Would it smart to try to find housing when I visit in the spring? What's the best cheesesteak shop? TYIA

Congratulations! Looking forward to having you join us.

Why not come for Accepted Students Weekend in March? It's a great time.

hume85

Postby hume85 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:53 pm

PennBull wrote:
hume85 wrote:Just got accepted into Penn ED, and I am proud as hell to be a part of the Penn Law community. When's the best time to visit next spring? I was hoping to visit in February and find housing then. Would it smart to try to find housing when I visit in the spring? What's the best cheesesteak shop? TYIA

Congratulations! Looking forward to having you join us.

Why not come for Accepted Students Weekend in March? It's a great time.

Thanks! I will definitely be there for ASW in March, I can't wait to visit.

sopranorleone

Postby sopranorleone » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:55 pm

You may be a little early to the housing game, especially if you want to live in University City. Many of the places I looked at in UC only rented 2 months in advance. I didn't get my apartment until early May.

And congrats! Welcome to Penn Law!

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:59 pm

Also, I don't know where you're coming from, but finding housing when you're here is probably a good idea. Research a ton of places and then make appointments to see them while you're here. There's a lot of information and opinions in this thread on where to live, so go ahead and peruse through that.

I think some of the standard apartment buildings you don't have to meet anyone before signing a lease, but places like houses or smaller apartment buildings usually require appointments. I admittedly don't know much about housing hunts in general, because a roommate found my current place in West Philly, and I'm moving to center city next year with a guy who already has an apartment.

hume85

Postby hume85 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:06 pm

sopranorleone wrote:

You may be a little early to the housing game, especially if you want to live in University City. Many of the places I looked at in UC only rented 2 months in advance. I didn't get my apartment until early May.

And congrats! Welcome to Penn Law!

Thanks! I guess I'll just research housing now, and I'll check everything out when I visit in the spring.
Last edited by hume85 on Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hume85

Postby hume85 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:09 pm

PennBull wrote:Also, I don't know where you're coming from, but finding housing when you're here is probably a good idea. Research a ton of places and then make appointments to see them while you're here. There's a lot of information and opinions in this thread on where to live, so go ahead and peruse through that.

I think some of the standard apartment buildings you don't have to meet anyone before signing a lease, but places like houses or smaller apartment buildings usually require appointments. I admittedly don't know much about housing hunts in general, because a roommate found my current place in West Philly, and I'm moving to center city next year with a guy who already has an apartment.

I am coming from San Francisco, so I can only visit once or twice in the spring. I want to live in University City, because I hear it is an all around good option. I'll make sure to do a ton of research before I visit, and hopefully I can find something when I am there.

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:16 pm

Univ City is an excellent place to start out. Really nice area. Cheaper, too. As a 2L I just kinda got bored of it since there's more to do in Center City and I have a lot more time now haha

SaintsTheMetal

Postby SaintsTheMetal » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:02 am

So what price and distance should I be looking for for a 1 bed? University City/Center City/West Philly seems like the main possibilities right? Reasonable to shoot for a 1 bed under 600?

How is parking near school, as in would it be advisable to plan on having to walk/bike? I'm from SF East Bay so I'm used to big cities, just not sure what to expect from Philly in terms of how urban it is.

Finally when should one seriously start trying to get their apartment to get the best deals?

Thanks, and very excited to be heading to Penn in the fall!

SportsFan

Postby SportsFan » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:39 pm

I pay ~700 plus utilities for a studio apartment about a mile (so 15-20 minute walk) from the law school, in university city. If you're willing to live farther away into west Philly, things start getting a lot cheaper (but also less safe). Or if you live with roommates and share a house or whatever, you could get your own bedroom for the price you're aiming for. Wouldn't recommend looking at center city unless you're willing to pay like $750+ a month (though maybe there are deals to be had and I'm just not aware of them).

If you were planning on driving to school every day, I'm recommend against that. You can usually find parking in university city without TOO much hassle, but IMO it's too much of risk (I know some people who drive, but AFAIK its not every day, just rarely). If you're going to live that far away that you'd have to drive, I'd just take SEPTA. The subway stops 2 blocks away, and the trolley lines that go into west Philly all stop on the block the law school is located on.

As far as when to look, if you're looking at University City, if you start around March you'll be fine.

And on another note, I've been to SF before, and while I'm not too familiar with the east bay, I think you'll be fine in Philly. SF surprised me with this gritty urban-ness that I didn't really expect from a city outside the northeast.

SaintsTheMetal

Postby SaintsTheMetal » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:39 pm

SportsFan wrote:I pay ~700 plus utilities for a studio apartment about a mile (so 15-20 minute walk) from the law school, in university city. If you're willing to live farther away into west Philly, things start getting a lot cheaper (but also less safe). Or if you live with roommates and share a house or whatever, you could get your own bedroom for the price you're aiming for. Wouldn't recommend looking at center city unless you're willing to pay like $750+ a month (though maybe there are deals to be had and I'm just not aware of them).

If you were planning on driving to school every day, I'm recommend against that. You can usually find parking in university city without TOO much hassle, but IMO it's too much of risk (I know some people who drive, but AFAIK its not every day, just rarely). If you're going to live that far away that you'd have to drive, I'd just take SEPTA. The subway stops 2 blocks away, and the trolley lines that go into west Philly all stop on the block the law school is located on.

As far as when to look, if you're looking at University City, if you start around March you'll be fine.

And on another note, I've been to SF before, and while I'm not too familiar with the east bay, I think you'll be fine in Philly. SF surprised me with this gritty urban-ness that I didn't really expect from a city outside the northeast.

Thanks for all that. Yea I'm not too worried about it being too rough, by urban I meant more just how "big city" it feels. i.e. in San Francisco there is absolutely zero chance of parking, but in Oakland (or most midwestern 'big cities' I've been to) you can probably find parking. But yea walking definitely would be my preference.

So are there any apartments/areas that law students especially congregate? Or are all the law students pretty much just spread out all over the place?

SaintsTheMetal

Postby SaintsTheMetal » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:32 pm

SaintsTheMetal wrote:So are there any apartments/areas that law students especially congregate? Or are all the law students pretty much just spread out all over the place?

Also, as a following to that, do many law students live in the Grad Hospital area? Just based on geography it looks ideal to me... close to city center as well as ~10-15 minute bike ride to school (according to Google,) and looks like there are some deals quite a bit cheaper than living in CC. Found some 2beds for like $650 in Grey's Ferry area, only 15 minute ride from the school...is this like an law students avoid?

also, how is parking in UC/CC/Grad Hospital? I love my truck, but would probably be unwilling to pay $200/month just to park it. Does this rule out living in CC? What about Grad Hospital? I think I saw that at least in UC you can find street parking for which you can get a permit for $35/year.

hume85

Postby hume85 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:18 am

Good luck to all the Penn students taking finals this week. Thank you for answering our questions.

Dato

Postby Dato » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:04 pm

DO NOT live in Greys Ferry. It's a really rough area. If you're west of Broad, you probably don't want to live any further south than Federal. Between Washington and Federal it's edgy, but reasonably so.

I live technically in Point Breeze (near Federal and 21st), and I'm the only one I know of in this neighborhood. That said, I'm like two blocks south of where Grad Hospital Starts (Washington Ave) and I know of a few students there.

The vast vast vast majority of students live between 16th and 48th E-W and between South and Fairmount N-S. The Schuylkill divides W. Philly from Center City at around 25th (depending on your latitude), and students seem split half and half on each side. West Philly has a very "college town" feel; Center City has an urban feel, and the other neighborhoods within that scope (Grad Hospital and Fairmount) have more of a old Brooklyn feel (row houses and narrow streets).

If you're a big runner/bicyclist I recommend living close to the Schuylkill because the River Trail is amazing and goes on forever.

Northern Liberties and Fishtown are outside this scope, but worth considering because they are on the metro line and because they have a lot of cool stuff going on.

IMO, Grad Hospital gets you the best of all scenarios because there are coffee shops and bars, because you're 10 minutes walking time from Rittenhouse Square/Center City and 5-10 minutes biking from the law school, because you're not surrounded by undergrads, because you're near the River Trail, and because you get more bang for your buck. Also Grad Hospital has a bus that runs along Locust/South that will take you a block away from the Law School. There is no direct transit from Fairmount (you have to make a transfer).

bobbyflayed

Postby bobbyflayed » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:03 am

Two Questions:

1.) Is there a finite set of teachers that cover first year courses or does penn bring in new lecturers/rotate professors for each course?

2.) Anyone have any insight on The Hub on Chestnut as a place to live?

http://thehubonchestnut.com/

SportsFan

Postby SportsFan » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:47 pm

bobbyflayed wrote:Two Questions:

1.) Is there a finite set of teachers that cover first year courses or does penn bring in new lecturers/rotate professors for each course?

2.) Anyone have any insight on The Hub on Chestnut as a place to live?

http://thehubonchestnut.com/

They don't have some sort of forced rotation system, if thats what you mean. My doctrinal professors this semester have all been here for 10+ years each teaching 1L classes (but teaching an upper level class or 2 each year as well). But obviously they'll bring in new professors because some will leave or be guest lecturers somewhere else.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:52 pm

Never heard any complaints about the hub but I'd probably buy a bike if I was going to live there.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”