Penn Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
r6_philly

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby r6_philly » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:31 am

mvpforme wrote:
Yikes. What can 2Ls get? Legal Writing? Torts?

Torts and legal writing are 1L classes. You can get substantive classes as 2Ls. I am sure some people land seminars, but just know that the popular ones are given to 3Ls first.

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:49 am

r6_philly wrote:
PennBull wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
mvpforme wrote:Sorry if this has been addressed, but how difficult is it for rising 2Ls to enroll in a clinic during the fall of their second year?

preferences are given to 3Ls, so it's not very likely.

Yeah, I'm not even wasting a bid on it. I'd rather put the seminars I want really high.

Preferences are given to 3Ls on seminars too.

I know, but clinics (in general) are more popular.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:25 pm

Can anyone tell me what the least bad professional responsibility class to take is? Priorities include maximum grade and credit for minimum work.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:35 pm

Veyron wrote:Can anyone tell me what the least bad professional responsibility class to take is? Priorities include maximum grade and credit for minimum work.

That's the Veyron I know and love.

poi

Postby poi » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:28 pm

I signed for an apartment pretty much across the street from the law school on Sansom. Would it be possible to just bum off of Penn's wireless instead of getting my own ISP? Do you guys know if the signal is strong/reliable enough for that? Thanks.

Georgiana

Postby Georgiana » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:58 pm

Veyron wrote:Can anyone tell me what the least bad professional responsibility class to take is? Priorities include maximum grade and credit for minimum work.

Reich maybe... (http://www.foxrothschild.com/attorneys/ ... reich.html)

He was definitely NOT my favorite person, but its an MC PR exam and its pretty easy... and you dont really need to go to class. He is terribly annoying re: speaking in class if he ever calls on you though (will make some people stand and say "May it please the class" before you answer... horrible).

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:37 pm

poi wrote:I signed for an apartment pretty much across the street from the law school on Sansom. Would it be possible to just bum off of Penn's wireless instead of getting my own ISP? Do you guys know if the signal is strong/reliable enough for that? Thanks.

I am pretty sure you can because outdoor space is covered too between school buildings. I couldn't get any signal in the food court behind the apartments, but you should probably pick up signal from the apartment because there is no building in between.

anthonyc7599

Postby anthonyc7599 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:31 pm

darkarmour wrote:
PennBull wrote:
krlf wrote:I see a lot of discussion about living within biking distance, but I'm curious... with winter weather and snow and such, how much of the school year is actually bikeable?

I bike year-round. Philly was unusually mild (only one significant snowfall, and then it was 50 the next day and melted it all), but it still is very bikeable.

One thing that is a huge plus is that there are bike lanes everywhere, and cars respect it and look out for it (in my one-year experience). I'm from Buffalo and I know how to bike in snow/awful weather, but if you're not comfortable with that then leave 15 minutes earlier and walk it. You won't have too many days like that though--if it's just a light snow, it's very easy to bike. Just be wary of your brakes and ride a little slower.

I recommend sport sunglasses, warm riding gloves, and perhaps a scarf. Make sure you have something on your bike to keep the slush from getting all over you.

Back in the days of 2009-2010, Philadelphia saw the fiercest snow storm it had seen in decades. Those were fun times.

*nostalgia*

Civ Pro in the Snow!

clee33

Postby clee33 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:58 pm

How much time will there be between getting our course books list and the start of classes? Would prefer to order them cheaper off amazon if at all possible.

and any idea what's the deal with this one torts section being 4 days a week (including Friday GASP :!: ) typo?

https://courses.law.upenn.edu/

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:07 pm

clee33 wrote:How much time will there be between getting our course books list and the start of classes? Would prefer to order them cheaper off amazon if at all possible.

and any idea what's the deal with this one torts section being 4 days a week (including Friday GASP :!: ) typo?

Either it's a typo, or it's meant to indicate that many classes will be canceled and moved to Fridays. My guess is the latter. One prof did that last year and let the students know ahead of time which classes were moved. You won't have class regularly 4 times a week.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:17 pm

PennBull wrote:
clee33 wrote:How much time will there be between getting our course books list and the start of classes? Would prefer to order them cheaper off amazon if at all possible.

Either it's a typo, or it's meant to indicate that many classes will be canceled and moved to Fridays. My guess is the latter. One prof did that last year and let the students know ahead of time which classes were moved. You won't have class regularly 4 times a week.

Honestly, having classes on Friday may seem to suck, but reading for 3 (or even 4) doctrinal classes in a night does not make for a fun time. Last fall, my torts class had a ton of Friday-rescheduled lectures, and I personally came to enjoy the mid-week respite.

clee33

Postby clee33 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:25 pm

yeah i was just being melodramatic. it's less than ideal but hardly the end of the world. thanks guys!

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:28 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
PennBull wrote:

Honestly, having classes on Friday may seem to suck, but reading for 3 (or even 4) doctrinal classes in a night does not make for a fun time. Last fall, my torts class had a ton of Friday-rescheduled lectures, and I personally came to enjoy the mid-week respite.

Eh, I just used the "get ahead and stay ahead" approach to avoid that crap.

Or I just didn't read. :P

chippa

Postby chippa » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:29 pm

Do you bring your kids on campus? And if so, did they visit the statue?

yikes0117

Postby yikes0117 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:00 am

Yeah, do we get our book list at orientation with our class schedules? That seems pretty last minute.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:05 am

yikes0117 wrote:

Yeah, do we get our book list at orientation with our class schedules? That seems pretty last minute.

Once your section is revealed, you can get the book list through PennInTouch. I don't remember when the section assignment was done. But all of my professors provided the first week's reading in PDF's.

Also if you do Amazon Prime, second day air is free. And renting text book is better.
Last edited by r6_philly on Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:05 am

yikes0117 wrote:

You'll be fine. Doesn't take that long to shop around for a deal if you want one, and there's plenty of time before classes start to order them. Even if you're slower in getting stuff done, not having a book the first week is not a big deal at all. Just go to the library or ask a friend.

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:06 am

r6_philly wrote:Also if you do Amazon Prime, second day air is free.

And with your new Penn Law e-mail alias, you can sign up for another year free!

poi

Postby poi » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:50 pm

Does anyone know if Penn has a special Microsoft Office discount? My undergrad had a license that allowed students to download the suite for $20, but unfortunately I can't access that anymore. The only place I've seen Office at Penn is at the computer store for about $100 (or the same price I would get if I bought it at any commercial retailer w/ edu discount).

westphillybandr

Postby westphillybandr » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:35 am

poi wrote:Does anyone know if Penn has a special Microsoft Office discount? My undergrad had a license that allowed students to download the suite for $20, but unfortunately I can't access that anymore. The only place I've seen Office at Penn is at the computer store for about $100 (or the same price I would get if I bought it at any commercial retailer w/ edu discount).

I have a Mac. Would I be ok with pages or should I buy the Microsoft suite?

lawschoolapp1

Postby lawschoolapp1 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:21 pm

Does anyone have any insight into whether a person going corporate should take Evidence at Penn? Also wondering if Tax is necessary/ a good idea if I'm interested in corporate, but don't want to do tax work.

riccardo426

Postby riccardo426 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:27 pm

Evidence is necessary because it's on the bar exam. Tax will come up in whatever practice you do, so I would highly recommend it. Plus it is on a few state bar exams.

lawschoolapp1

Postby lawschoolapp1 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:06 pm

right but of course presence on bar exam doesn't make a class necessary. Bar review course will teach you what you need to know presumably.

Georgiana

Postby Georgiana » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:13 pm

lawschoolapp1 wrote:Does anyone have any insight into whether a person going corporate should take Evidence at Penn? Also wondering if Tax is necessary/ a good idea if I'm interested in corporate, but don't want to do tax work.

I took Evidence with Rudovsky and regret taking it. I'm corporate and took it because people kept telling me it was good to be exposed to it before the bar, but it sucked. I didn't mesh with his teaching method and didn't find it interesting or thought provoking, just stupid. I also did poorly which makes me regret it even more. I wish I had just let barbri teach it to me and taken something I would have been interested in. (I'll note that it wasn't just the litigation focus that made me disinterested, I very much enjoyed Crim Pro even though it has no use in my career. Evidence is just so... blah.)

I also took fed income tax with Sanchirico, it was mildly amusing but he's definitely not good at dumbing it down and very into the math of it all. His exam was probably the worst I've ever taken, but the curve was REALLY lenient. It isn't useful at all in corporate practice, but I'm sure corporate tax would be helpful.

No13baby

Postby No13baby » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:12 pm

Where's the best place to get cheap textbooks? Amazon? Some other website? The EJF store, wherever and whenever it is?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”