Penn Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
r6_philly

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby r6_philly » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:44 am

WhirledWorld wrote:
2012prospective wrote:I'm curious about this, too. Can any current students speak to the percentage of c/o 2013 students with SAs (and perhaps more specifically with SAs at V10/ V100/ NLJ 250 firms)? Does it seem like the majority of the people who want to summer at a firm are able to get something at OCI?

I'd guess around 20%, up a bit from last year. Getting a 1L SA is pretty doable if 1) you can make a case for why you're a good diversity hire, 2) have decent grades, 3) have connections to a secondary market or 4) a combination of the three.

I would guess most people who get a 1L SA wind up with something at OCI (assuming they do OCI; some just stick with their 1L firm), but that's probably more a product of their grades and interview skills.

I was going to answer similarly, but I think they are referring to 2L summer SAs. (they asked class of 2013 - rising 3Ls).

But just to respond to your 1L comment, I believe grades is the least important of the three. Having good ones helps, but not having it is not a bar. I believe diversity, right fit, and ties may overcome mediocre grades. I would replace your #2 with fit/WE/added values.

SaintsTheMetal

Postby SaintsTheMetal » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:04 pm

Can anyone speak to the general timeframe of ED decisions at Penn? Penn is my #1 choice, but will I have time to ED other places (N/M/V) if Penn doesn't work out?

My priority is basically P>N>M>V. 3.2, 172, somewhat NA, pretty good softs

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:12 pm

SaintsTheMetal wrote:Can anyone speak to the general timeframe of ED decisions at Penn? Penn is my #1 choice, but will I have time to ED other places (N/M/V) if Penn doesn't work out?

My priority is basically P>N>M>V. 3.2, 172, somewhat NA, pretty good softs

Usually about the second week of Dec. A week or so before first round of RD.

TLSNYC

Postby TLSNYC » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:16 am

Does anyone know if, or how, we can check grade distributions for upper level courses online, before registering?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:34 am

TLSNYC wrote:Does anyone know if, or how, we can check grade distributions for upper level courses online, before registering?

No only in the books and you can't copy them or write them down.

drd

Postby drd » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:34 pm

Any advice on what classes to take for someone who's interested in corporate? obviously corporations, but it seems like there are only a couple others. prefer classes with grades based 100% on exam. seems like the corporate-leaning seminars mostly have corporations as a prerequisite too.

or maybe just advice for some easy exam-based classes?

krlf

Postby krlf » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:24 pm

I see a lot of discussion about living within biking distance, but I'm curious... with winter weather and snow and such, how much of the school year is actually bikeable?

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:44 am

krlf wrote:I see a lot of discussion about living within biking distance, but I'm curious... with winter weather and snow and such, how much of the school year is actually bikeable?

I bike year-round. Philly was unusually mild (only one significant snowfall, and then it was 50 the next day and melted it all), but it still is very bikeable.

One thing that is a huge plus is that there are bike lanes everywhere, and cars respect it and look out for it (in my one-year experience). I'm from Buffalo and I know how to bike in snow/awful weather, but if you're not comfortable with that then leave 15 minutes earlier and walk it. You won't have too many days like that though--if it's just a light snow, it's very easy to bike. Just be wary of your brakes and ride a little slower.

I recommend sport sunglasses, warm riding gloves, and perhaps a scarf. Make sure you have something on your bike to keep the slush from getting all over you.

krlf

Postby krlf » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:18 pm

Awesome. Thanks for the info.

Is there a place you'd recommend to look for a used bike?

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:38 pm

krlf wrote:Awesome. Thanks for the info.

Is there a place you'd recommend to look for a used bike?

Craigslist is really the only experience I've had. I don't know if that's any good though, and I bought my bike at home and brought it down to Philly.

SaintsTheMetal

Postby SaintsTheMetal » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:31 pm

I'm looking at --LinkRemoved--

Specifically, the optional essays.. I've heard that there is no actual "Why Penn" but there are several other prompts you can choose to answer. This site seems to imply that basically a diversity statement is one of these prompts. Is this right that if one wishes to submit a personal statement and a diversity statement, this is all the essays they can submit? Or could one answer the '5 year plan from Penn' question alongside a diversity statement?

darkarmour

Postby darkarmour » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:44 am

PennBull wrote:
krlf wrote:I see a lot of discussion about living within biking distance, but I'm curious... with winter weather and snow and such, how much of the school year is actually bikeable?

I bike year-round. Philly was unusually mild (only one significant snowfall, and then it was 50 the next day and melted it all), but it still is very bikeable.

One thing that is a huge plus is that there are bike lanes everywhere, and cars respect it and look out for it (in my one-year experience). I'm from Buffalo and I know how to bike in snow/awful weather, but if you're not comfortable with that then leave 15 minutes earlier and walk it. You won't have too many days like that though--if it's just a light snow, it's very easy to bike. Just be wary of your brakes and ride a little slower.

I recommend sport sunglasses, warm riding gloves, and perhaps a scarf. Make sure you have something on your bike to keep the slush from getting all over you.

Back in the days of 2009-2010, Philadelphia saw the fiercest snow storm it had seen in decades. Those were fun times.

*nostalgia*

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:48 am

SaintsTheMetal wrote:I'm looking at --LinkRemoved--

Specifically, the optional essays.. I've heard that there is no actual "Why Penn" but there are several other prompts you can choose to answer. This site seems to imply that basically a diversity statement is one of these prompts. Is this right that if one wishes to submit a personal statement and a diversity statement, this is all the essays they can submit? Or could one answer the '5 year plan from Penn' question alongside a diversity statement?

The website you linked us to actually has a "Why Penn" as a choice. I think they changed the 5-year plan to that one this year.

Either way, I think you can only write one. I'd call the admissions office and ask, though.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:01 am

darkarmour wrote:
PennBull wrote:

Back in the days of 2009-2010, Philadelphia saw the fiercest snow storm it had seen in decades. Those were fun times.

*nostalgia*

Like law firm starting salaries, Philadelphia's annual snowfall totals are bi-modally distributed.

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:03 am

HeavenWood wrote:
darkarmour wrote:Back in the days of 2009-2010, Philadelphia saw the fiercest snow storm it had seen in decades. Those were fun times.

*nostalgia*

Like law firm starting salaries, Philadelphia's annual snowfall totals are bi-modally distributed.

Ba-dum...chhhhhh

Wasn't that the year they canceled an Eagles game and they played on Tuesday?

JDizzle2015

Postby JDizzle2015 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:21 am

PennBull wrote:
SaintsTheMetal wrote:I'm looking at --LinkRemoved--

The website you linked us to actually has a "Why Penn" as a choice. I think they changed the 5-year plan to that one this year.

Either way, I think you can only write one. I'd call the admissions office and ask, though.

I submitted a diversity statement and the five year plan. I'm pretty sure the prompt says you can submit two optional statements + your personal statement.

Asst. Principal Bone

Postby Asst. Principal Bone » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:28 am

Georgiana wrote:Hi all!

I'm trying to procrastinate (aren't we all) so I figured I would make a thread to keep me busy.

Random info about me:
3L
~ top 25-30% (after 1L... probably have fallen below that by now... oops)
Involved in the Penn IP Group (as a 2L... not anymore)
Applied to way too many schools so I know a lot about admissions
Worked as an RA 1L summer, Worked at a V10 2L summer (DC)
Secondary Journal (Made board for 2010-2011)
I do awesomely awesome pro bono work

Questions can be about anything, not just Penn.

Edit: You can also feel free to PM me if you have a question you don't want everyone reading :)

UPDATE: I'm done with law school :) Will still be around over the summer but not sure I'll stick around after that (maybe one of those super cool "First Year Biglaw Associate Taking Questions" threads will be mine!) but hopefully some current students will take over for me here :)

I went to PENN back in the day, are the women still UGLY???? Yoodolaheewhoooo...

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:29 am

Last edited by HeavenWood on Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

bobbyflayed

Postby bobbyflayed » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:54 pm

How difficult is it to get 1L SA gigs in LA from Penn?

-originally from LA.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:23 pm

bobbyflayed wrote:How difficult is it to get 1L SA gigs in LA from Penn?

-originally from LA.

Depends on what you have to offer. People get offers from CA firms, but it depends on the person. It won't hurt you at all being from Penn, if that's what you are asking.

mvpforme

Postby mvpforme » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:19 am

Sorry if this has been addressed, but how difficult is it for rising 2Ls to enroll in a clinic during the fall of their second year?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:21 am

mvpforme wrote:Sorry if this has been addressed, but how difficult is it for rising 2Ls to enroll in a clinic during the fall of their second year?

preferences are given to 3Ls, so it's not very likely.

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:22 am

r6_philly wrote:
mvpforme wrote:Sorry if this has been addressed, but how difficult is it for rising 2Ls to enroll in a clinic during the fall of their second year?

Yeah, I'm not even wasting a bid on it. I'd rather put the seminars I want really high.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:26 am

PennBull wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

Yeah, I'm not even wasting a bid on it. I'd rather put the seminars I want really high.

Preferences are given to 3Ls on seminars too.

mvpforme

Postby mvpforme » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:29 am

r6_philly wrote:
PennBull wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

Preferences are given to 3Ls on seminars too.

Yikes. What can 2Ls get? Legal Writing? Torts?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”