Penn Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
justicefishy
Posts: 497
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:02 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby justicefishy » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:24 pm

swoozie wrote:
PennBull wrote:
swoozie wrote:Sorry about that! It's by one of the S. 47th St. stops. I can PM the exact address if needed.


Yeah, the trolley going down Baltimore is pretty solid. Just gotta stand on the corner and wave it down. Also, you can get tokens that cost less than $2 a piece if you buy a bunch at a time.

Public transpo in Philly I found to be very good.

Thanks!!
the PennPass for SEPTA looks decent, too.


I've had horrible experiences with regional rail (trains coming an hour + late, trains just never showing up, so on) but that's only an issue if you're coming in or going to the 'burbs.

clee33
Posts: 63
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:29 am

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby clee33 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:03 pm

which trains? between the chestnut hills, norristown, fox chase, trenton i have ridden 100s of times and never had an issue that bad. did that happen to you recently? I know they have made a lot of upgrades in the last few years, currently phasing in a bunch of new cars.

personally i think the regional rail is awesome. I'm a fan of the East/West trolleys and subway too. North/South still needs work (I guess that isn't surprising though). Hopefully in a few years we will make the switch from tokens/tickets to swipe cards (already in the works), I always lose those things.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby r6_philly » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:41 am

2012prospective wrote:I'm also wondering about the ease of commuting to Penn Law from off campus. I'm thinking of living around 22nd and Cherry, and it seems like there is a 24/7 trolley that goes from 22nd and Market basically to Penn Law. Is the trolley safe/ convenient to take from Penn Law to Center City late at night (like after midnight)?


Yes and yes. You can also get a bike.

Also, is there a refrigerator/freezer and microwave at Penn Law that 1Ls can use? I'm wondering for purposes of storing lunch and maybe heating up frozen dinners if I stay at the law school late.


Yes, 1 fridge and 2 microwaves in the same spot. Pretty easy if you want to bring lunch/dinner.

One last question: do students living off campus generally go home at dinner and not return? Or is there a sizable group that goes home for dinner and returns to study in the library?


Most people who live off campus try to stay away from campus.
Last edited by r6_philly on Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby r6_philly » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:42 am

PennBull wrote:
swoozie wrote:Sorry about that! It's by one of the S. 47th St. stops. I can PM the exact address if needed.


Yeah, the trolley going down Baltimore is pretty solid. Just gotta stand on the corner and wave it down. Also, you can get tokens that cost less than $2 a piece if you buy a bunch at a time.

Public transpo in Philly I found to be very good.


There are several token machines around campus. $1.55 each but you have to buy 5 at a time. They took away the machine in 34st station I think because students will just pay the $2 cash fee. You can also buy tokens at all the other stations that you get on/off to go home.

justicefishy
Posts: 497
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:02 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby justicefishy » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:41 am

clee33 wrote:which trains? between the chestnut hills, norristown, fox chase, trenton i have ridden 100s of times and never had an issue that bad. did that happen to you recently? I know they have made a lot of upgrades in the last few years, currently phasing in a bunch of new cars.

personally i think the regional rail is awesome. I'm a fan of the East/West trolleys and subway too. North/South still needs work (I guess that isn't surprising though). Hopefully in a few years we will make the switch from tokens/tickets to swipe cards (already in the works), I always lose those things.


A few years back, on the the R3 heading to Media/Elwyn. Never any problems getting *to* work, it only got delayed when I wanted to go home though :evil:

User avatar
PennBull
Posts: 15440
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:59 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby PennBull » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:03 am

Were we supposed to apply for the Wharton certificate by now or something? Did I miss a deadline?

User avatar
PennBull
Posts: 15440
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:59 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby PennBull » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:05 am

r6_philly wrote:
2012prospective wrote:One last question: do students living off campus generally go home at dinner and not return? Or is there a sizable group that goes home for dinner and returns to study in the library?


Most people who live off campus try to stay away from campus.


I stayed at the school for lunch/dinner and left at night, but that's because I am terrible at working at home. once people go home, they're home for good. But, there's a decent amount of us that stay at the school through dinner.

User avatar
absolutazn87
Posts: 715
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:16 am

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby absolutazn87 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:13 am

PennBull wrote:Were we supposed to apply for the Wharton certificate by now or something? Did I miss a deadline?

Just emailed Mariel and got a reply. She said we can apply for it anytime before November 15 and there's more info at https://goat.law.upenn.edu/registrar/We ... ation.aspx

Oh and hi new admits! I'm a rising 2L too working in NYC this summer. Been a pretty chill week so I'm back here happy to answer any questions!

User avatar
absolutazn87
Posts: 715
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:16 am

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby absolutazn87 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:14 am

PennBull wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
2012prospective wrote:One last question: do students living off campus generally go home at dinner and not return? Or is there a sizable group that goes home for dinner and returns to study in the library?


Most people who live off campus try to stay away from campus.


I stayed at the school for lunch/dinner and left at night, but that's because I am terrible at working at home. once people go home, they're home for good. But, there's a decent amount of us that stay at the school through dinner.

Yeah agreed. I can't work at home either. So I either stay at school through dinner or I go home and don't do anything til it's midnight and I realize I haven't read anything and scramble to skim somewhat. But yeah, if I go home, I don't go back to the law school after.

User avatar
PennBull
Posts: 15440
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:59 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby PennBull » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:17 am

absolutazn87 wrote:
PennBull wrote:Were we supposed to apply for the Wharton certificate by now or something? Did I miss a deadline?

Just emailed Mariel and got a reply. She said we can apply for it anytime before November 15 and there's more info at https://goat.law.upenn.edu/registrar/We ... ation.aspx


Thanks broski. I totally forgot that we can put that on our resume now even though we're not in it (yet).

absolutazn87 wrote:Oh and hi new admits! I'm a rising 2L too working in NYC this summer. Been a pretty chill week so I'm back here happy to answer any questions!


+1, it's Friday and I do not feel like doing any actual work. I'd rather answer questions about how awesome Penn is.

clee33
Posts: 63
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:29 am

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby clee33 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:01 pm

Is there any supplemental books that you for especially helpful? More with certain profs than other maybe? (sure I'm not the first to ask this, but hey, you offered!)

Also, do you guys have any expierience with the penn bus/shuttle? Is it reliable? I'm living in cc and it would be nice to not have to pay for the subway/walk all the time.

User avatar
PennBull
Posts: 15440
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:59 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby PennBull » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:27 pm

clee33 wrote:Is there any supplemental books that you for especially helpful? More with certain profs than other maybe? (sure I'm not the first to ask this, but hey, you offered!)


The only one that is universally adored by law students is Glannon's E&E for CivPro. Other than that, it's entirely personal/professor based and you need to sift through the heaps of information on TLS, as well as ask upperclassmen who had your specific professors before you do anything. Nobody can answer this question any more specifically until you know your professors.

Also, do you guys have any expierience with the penn bus/shuttle? Is it reliable? I'm living in cc and it would be nice to not have to pay for the subway/walk all the time.


I took it a few times going home. I never looked up the schedule, but occasionally it would be there and I would hop on. I hate waiting for buses when I could just walk 15 minutes, so I never really cared too much. But they exist and I always see them driving around.

You might wanna give it a try for a week to get a sample size on how accurate they are.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby r6_philly » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:55 pm

PennBull wrote:
I took it a few times going home. I never looked up the schedule, but occasionally it would be there and I would hop on. I hate waiting for buses when I could just walk 15 minutes, so I never really cared too much. But they exist and I always see them driving around.

You might wanna give it a try for a week to get a sample size on how accurate they are.


You can get on the mobile site and it shows where each bus is at all times (GPS). So you don't have to stand around waiting for the bus. It runs every 30 minutes.

User avatar
Shooter
Posts: 474
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:39 am

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby Shooter » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:14 am

Hi, everyone. I saw some posts earlier about 1L summer positions. What factors determine whether or not a person gets a good 1L summer gig? Tips?

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby r6_philly » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:25 am

Shooter wrote:Hi, everyone. I saw some posts earlier about 1L summer positions. What factors determine whether or not a person gets a good 1L summer gig? Tips?


Previous work experience, undergrad degree, personality/charisma, luck, connections. Good grades of course helps, but most likely you need one of the other things while good grades is not necessary.

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby Veyron » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:26 am

r6_philly wrote:
Shooter wrote:Hi, everyone. I saw some posts earlier about 1L summer positions. What factors determine whether or not a person gets a good 1L summer gig? Tips?


Previous work experience, undergrad degree, personality/charisma, luck, connections.


Almost everyone gets a good 1L summer gig. Be more specific?

User avatar
Shooter
Posts: 474
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:39 am

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby Shooter » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:38 am

Yeah, "good" was pretty vague. I'm talking about jobs at law firms/jobs that pay well/jobs that would improve your performance during OCI.

I'm just a 0L, so I didn't even know that employers saw grades before 2L OCI.

User avatar
Pate
Posts: 128
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:29 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby Pate » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:57 am

r6_philly wrote:Good grades of course helps, but most likely you need one of the other things while good grades is not necessary.

Run that by me again, about good grades not necessary. Has the job market improved that much? Aren't there some rising 3Ls still unemployed?

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby r6_philly » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:03 am

Pate wrote:
r6_philly wrote:Good grades of course helps, but most likely you need one of the other things while good grades is not necessary.

Run that by me again, about good grades not necessary. Has the job market improved that much? Aren't there some rising 3Ls still unemployed?


The question/answer was for 1L jobs.

User avatar
Pate
Posts: 128
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:29 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby Pate » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:09 am

r6_philly wrote:
Pate wrote:
r6_philly wrote:Good grades of course helps, but most likely you need one of the other things while good grades is not necessary.

Run that by me again, about good grades not necessary. Has the job market improved that much? Aren't there some rising 3Ls still unemployed?


The question/answer was for 1L jobs.

Got it, thx. Any take on the job market? I ask knowing that there are some rising 3Ls still unemployed (ditto 2Ls

Edit: Definition on “some”. . .more than a few.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby r6_philly » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:16 am

Pate wrote:Got it, thx. Any take on the job market? I ask knowing that there are some rising 3Ls still unemployed (ditto 2Ls).


Job market is not great, but seems to be improving year over year (the NALP report notwithstanding, I did say seem). It's still very competitive, but it isn't impossible. If you can have some of the attributes I mentioned above, it looks decent. I believe the vast majority of students are worried about getting the job they want, not simply getting a job.

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby Veyron » Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:52 am

Shooter wrote:Yeah, "good" was pretty vague. I'm talking about jobs at law firms/jobs that pay well/jobs that would improve your performance during OCI.

I'm just a 0L, so I didn't even know that employers saw grades before 2L OCI.


All 1L jobs are pretty much equal when it comes to OCI. Everyone gets a 1L job. You do the math.

yikes0117
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:06 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby yikes0117 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:01 am

Is living west of campus dangerous/a bad idea? I just don't really have the budget for CC or even on-campus housing and I've found some cheap places around UC that seem to be decent from googlemaps street-view. Lol. Does anyone know if I'm being mislead?

User avatar
PennBull
Posts: 15440
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:59 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby PennBull » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:43 am

yikes0117 wrote:Is living west of campus dangerous/a bad idea? I just don't really have the budget for CC or even on-campus housing and I've found some cheap places around UC that seem to be decent from googlemaps street-view. Lol. Does anyone know if I'm being mislead?


Everything is beautiful and nice all the way out to 48thish, and even past there it's fine. The people who say living in West Philly is dangerous don't know what they're talking about.

The area is all nice families and Penn/Drexel students. I love it.

User avatar
PennBull
Posts: 15440
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:59 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby PennBull » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:58 am

Shooter wrote:Yeah, "good" was pretty vague. I'm talking about jobs at law firms/jobs that pay well/jobs that would improve your performance during OCI.


First of all, no 1L summer gig really HELPS your OCI performance, save for if you worked for the firm that you are interviewing with in OCI. Sure, you are supposed to have a unique/quality experience to talk about in interviews, but no job is a de facto automatic bump. Also, nothing is really a negative unless you're working in traffic court.

But, getting paid is awesome, so about that:

Again, as you saw in my previous post, I got my in house job through 1L OCI. The company did not choose their two selections based on grades alone. r6_philly is right, getting a paid job your first summer is much more about being opportunistic and being creative. I feel like I fell ass backwards into the job I have now thanks to the 1L OCI, but, for the most part, the people getting paid jobs this summer worked their magic here or there and got something.

I think they value grades more than r6 insinuated, but I will agree that grades might not even be the most important factor in getting a paid 1L summer position (whereas it is the most important thing for your 2L summer position).

I was shocked as to how doable getting a paid 1L summer job is at Penn. That said, the number is still REALLY low. Don't bank on it. I used to think they were like mythical unicorns and didn't exist, but now I see they're just kinda rare.

If you really want one, see what kind of networking things you can do and get in firms' ears now, and maybe talk to career services or something. Everybody who has paid jobs got them in totally different ways, so there's no "right way" to do it.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest