Penn Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
HeavenWood

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby HeavenWood » Wed May 23, 2012 10:06 am

PennBull wrote:Penn 2L (!!!) taking questions. First week on the job at my internship, nobody was really prepared to give me work, so I'm doing nothing for about a week. But, getting paid! (Yes, many people get paid 1L summer jobs from Penn. I was surprised as anyone)

Ask me anything.

Same goes for me, only I'm working for a judge and not getting paid. :p

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Wed May 23, 2012 12:12 pm

How many apps did you guys send out? Did you have any other options besides the jobs you eventually ended up with?

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Wed May 23, 2012 12:39 pm

Blumpbeef wrote:How many apps did you guys send out? Did you have any other options besides the jobs you eventually ended up with?

For my 1L summer I sent out about 10. First offer I got was an exploding offer at a place I really wanted to work so I withdrew my remaining apps.

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Wed May 23, 2012 12:48 pm

Blumpbeef wrote:How many apps did you guys send out? Did you have any other options besides the jobs you eventually ended up with?

I prepared about 40 judicial internship mailings, but never sent them. A 2L recommended an internship for an organization that really appealed to me. I wanted to try to get that job before I sent out judicial apps, because if a judge offers you, he usually requires a quick response and you can't renege once you say yes to a judge.

In the middle of waiting for a response from the organization, I participated in Penn's 1L Spring OCI (I was super surprised they had this--they had about 15 firms/private sector jobs come in and interview 1Ls exclusively for summer jobs. There's also a public service OCI type of event for 1Ls as well). I received 3 interviews, and I received an offer to my great surprise (I didn't think I would get anything--I was just doing it for interview practice while I waited on the prior organization). Because the prior organization could not give me a yes/no answer by the time I had to respond to my other offer, I took the "one in the hand is better than two in the bush" approach and accepted the first offer. It helped that the internship I accepted is an amazing opportunity that pays well (also surprising to me).

Basically, there are tons of methods to getting summer jobs at Penn. You're not limited to sending out a hundred apps to different things and hope something sticks--although that is still a method that works (someone else could shed more light on who/what/how to send). We have some spring opportunities that are cool, and the career office was e-mailiing us with new opportunities pretty much until finals started.

I was also shocked as to how many students received paying jobs this summer--I thought 1L summer paid jobs were a complete myth. It wasn't just diversity candidates or people with super connections either.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Wed May 23, 2012 12:51 pm

Truth, getting a paid 1L gig is actually pretty doable.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Wed May 23, 2012 12:57 pm

I took the "safe" route and blanketed two federal districts in my home state (minus obvious ideological outliers) plus some judges in my home circuit court of appeals. I just accepted the first offer I got (judges usually don't give you much time to deliberate) and that was that.

dabomb75

Postby dabomb75 » Wed May 23, 2012 8:42 pm

no idea. Probably between 100-150. I mass-mailed all the firms in 2 different cities since I applied late into the firm application cycle. Ended up getting a firm job, but it didn't come through my mass mailing. I had 1 or 2 other places I was considering but neither was paid, so as much as I thought they would be interesting experiences, it's hard to turn down a firm job, especially when I want to end up at a firm.

westphillybandr

Postby westphillybandr » Wed May 23, 2012 9:09 pm

HeavenWood wrote:

I took the "safe" route and blanketed two federal districts in my home state (minus obvious ideological outliers) plus some judges in my home circuit court of appeals. I just accepted the first offer I got (judges usually don't give you much time to deliberate) and that was that.

What are your main responsibilities as a judicial intern?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed May 23, 2012 10:03 pm

I sent out about 20-30 biglaw firm applications on my own before fall finals were over. End up going on 5 callbacks, 2 offers, all from the e-mailings.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed May 23, 2012 10:05 pm

Veyron wrote:Truth, getting a paid 1L gig is actually pretty doable.

A lot of people are getting paid this summer.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Thu May 24, 2012 12:06 am

westphillybandr wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:

I just started working, but thus far, I've been watching trials/hearings and drafting squibs of upcoming cases for the judge to get acquainted with. Soon I'll be doing full research projects.

T10er13

Postby T10er13 » Thu May 24, 2012 1:57 am

Hi everyone!

I hate to bring up this topic again, but does anyone know around what percentage of the class an A- average would be for a 1L? All of my close family and my boyfriend live in MA, so I'm thinking of trying to transfer to Harvard. But if I don't have good chance, I don't want to go through with the work or make my professors write rec's.

I love it here, but as this stage of my life, I think I want to be closer to home... thanks for the help, guys!

westphillybandr

Postby westphillybandr » Thu May 24, 2012 11:58 am

HeavenWood wrote:
westphillybandr wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:

I just started working, but thus far, I've been watching trials/hearings and drafting squibs of upcoming cases for the judge to get acquainted with. Soon I'll be doing full research projects.

Sounds interesting. Are you enjoying the work?

JDizzle2015

Postby JDizzle2015 » Thu May 24, 2012 3:07 pm

Are there any current students here taking advantage of the university dining plan? (Don't know if it's faux pas for grad students to partake.) Is the food at the buffets any good? I'm considering it because the plans look dirt cheap. Only about ~$5/meal if you order specific packages.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Thu May 24, 2012 3:33 pm

When you guys say paid summer work, what do you mean? I'm assuming it's like ten dollars an hour instead of a summer associateship type situation, but I'm curious.

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Thu May 24, 2012 3:46 pm

Nobody wrote:When you guys say paid summer work, what do you mean? I'm assuming it's like ten dollars an hour instead of a summer associateship type situation, but I'm curious.

We are talking about summer-associate type positions. Many students are at firms and in-house positions for corporations. Again, surprising.

edit: it's still quite rare, but it's noticeably higher than the 0% I assumed going in.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Thu May 24, 2012 4:00 pm

PennBull wrote:
Nobody wrote:When you guys say paid summer work, what do you mean? I'm assuming it's like ten dollars an hour instead of a summer associateship type situation, but I'm curious.

We are talking about summer-associate type positions. Many students are at firms and in-house positions for corporations. Again, surprising.

edit: it's still quite rare, but it's noticeably higher than the 0% I assumed going in.

There is paid pi work as well. That usually comes in the form of a stipend from the organization.

justicefishy

Postby justicefishy » Thu May 24, 2012 9:49 pm

JDizzle2015 wrote:Are there any current students here taking advantage of the university dining plan? (Don't know if it's faux pas for grad students to partake.) Is the food at the buffets any good? I'm considering it because the plans look dirt cheap. Only about ~$5/meal if you order specific packages.

The guy who I stayed with during ASW had the meal plan. I felt that upon trying it, that it was, at best, mediocre.

Edit: May have just been a bad night or my tastes, but the cafeteria was full of undergrads and even as a 0L prospective, I felt kind of weird eating there.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu May 24, 2012 11:22 pm

I am a summer associate on a first year associate salary. There are quite a few summer associates.

hoocran1

Postby hoocran1 » Tue May 29, 2012 9:56 am

I am currently facing the choice between USC (with $75k scholarship) or Penn at full price. It is quite likely (though not guaranteed) that I will start practicing in Los Angeles upon graduation.

If my goal is Big Law, which school offers better career prospects? Would a degree from Penn outweigh the savings made from going to USC or does the vaunt Trojan network in southern California trump the promises of an Ivy League diploma?

How do the issues of networking, maintaining contacts, and securing a great job in California compare when considering Penn over USC?

Any other thoughts or considerations to help make my decision would be appreciated. Thank you.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Tue May 29, 2012 12:03 pm

USC will be better for networking. However, for bogle placement at OCI matters a lot more believe it or not. There are kids from SoCal at Penn who turned down full rides at USC to be in the class. Getting only 25k a year makes this an easy call.

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Tue May 29, 2012 12:13 pm

hoocran1 wrote:I am currently facing the choice between USC (with $75k scholarship) or Penn at full price. It is quite likely (though not guaranteed) that I will start practicing in Los Angeles upon graduation.

If my goal is Big Law, which school offers better career prospects? Would a degree from Penn outweigh the savings made from going to USC or does the vaunt Trojan network in southern California trump the promises of an Ivy League diploma?

How do the issues of networking, maintaining contacts, and securing a great job in California compare when considering Penn over USC?

Any other thoughts or considerations to help make my decision would be appreciated. Thank you.

Interesting note of the rising 2L class. The most represented undergrads, in order:

1.) Penn
2.) Penn State
3.) Duke
4/5.): UCLA/Berkeley (can't remember the order).

There are lots of Cali kids here who made the same choice you did, and chose Penn. They are very confident (for good reason) that they can get back to CA immediately after graduation, and Penn does have a good regional interviewing program for CA.

Even if you "have" to take BigLaw in NYC/etc. instead of LA/SF to start, it's only a couple years out of your life before you can find a way to get back to CA.

With the legal market the way it is now, you want a biglaw job first, location second. A good chunk of USC grads are not making biglaw, period, let alone in LA. Penn has done quite well recently in biglaw placement. Penn self-selects into NYC a lot of the time, but it definitely is a national school insofar that it doesn't have a market it's essentially designated for (think UChicago for Chicago).

USC isn't giving you a lot of money. Join us at Penn if you want biglaw and you can feel confident that you can get back to LA immediately; if this does not work out, you have a strong chance of getting biglaw in NYC/etc. That is a better outcome than most students have right now, i.e. not getting a biglaw job at all.

whuntington3

Postby whuntington3 » Tue May 29, 2012 11:56 pm

How well do you guys think Penn places in areas where it does not have regional interviews (namely, Seattle)?

banjo

Postby banjo » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:09 pm

Thanks for taking questions, Penn students. Quick question: is the Philly market closed off to Penn students who didn't grow up in the region? Can working in Philly for 1-2 years or summering in Philly after 1L help establish ties to the city?

No13baby

Postby No13baby » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:55 pm

whuntington3 wrote:How well do you guys think Penn places in areas where it does not have regional interviews (namely, Seattle)?

I'm a fellow Pacific Northwesterner and I am headed to Penn this fall. The admissions office set me up with a (now graduated) 3L from Portland to talk about experiences looking for jobs in the region, as being able to return home to work is very important to me. The 3L I spoke with gave me the impression that he'd had very little trouble getting Portland firms to notice him. He said that he'd gotten several of the bigger firms in Portland to give him interviews just through mailings, and they all seemed quite impressed by the Penn name. I don't think a ton of Penn graduates come out to WA or OR, so you'll probably be a pretty unique commodity if you have ties to the area and want to return home. I know this isn't a firsthand answer, but it was something I was very concerned about when choosing a school so I figured I'd pass it along.

NB: I have no idea what this person's grades were.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”