Penn Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Sherwood2014

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby Sherwood2014 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:17 am

Networks often call on college law professors to clarify a legal issue. I have not seen a Upenn LP on network TV. Perhaps camera shy?

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:39 pm

Sherwood2014 wrote:Networks often call on college law professors to clarify a legal issue. I have not seen a Upenn LP on network TV. Perhaps camera shy?

Define "often."

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:41 am

Sherwood2014 wrote:Networks often call on college law professors to clarify a legal issue. I have not seen a Upenn LP on network TV. Perhaps camera shy?

I have seen our professors comment on TV many times. Randy Barnett, Amy Wax, Anita Allen, Arlen Specter. Perhaps we watch different networks?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:04 am

Veyron wrote:

I have seen our professors comment on TV many times. Randy Barnett, Amy Wax, Anita Allen, Arlen Specter. Perhaps we watch different networks?

Barnett is not our professor. Yes, I had him, but he's back at Gtown.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:18 am

r6_philly wrote:
Veyron wrote:

Barnett is not our professor. Yes, I had him, but he's back at Gtown.

The fuck. He was at Penn last semester. :(

Excuse me, I need to be alone with my pain for a moment.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:26 am

Veyron wrote:
Excuse me, I need to be alone with my pain for a moment.

I share the sentiment, but it seems that he didn't want to be here permanently, for whatever reasons. So he only visited one semester and taught one class. Count myself lucky.

Sherwood2014

Postby Sherwood2014 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:56 am

Veyron wrote:

Cool. 8)

Guess I need to limit my time on the cartoon network.

supergr8me18

Postby supergr8me18 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:22 pm

Anybody living at 2400 chestnut- what do you pay in utilities/month?

clee33

Postby clee33 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:56 pm

Hi all,

Does anyone know when we get access to the goat? The admitted students password doesn't work anymore.

JDizzle2015

Postby JDizzle2015 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:12 pm

clee33 wrote:Hi all,

Does anyone know when we get access to the goat? The admitted students password doesn't work anymore.

I read that we get our pennkeys in the mail sometime in June to set up our email addresses so I would guess that's when we'd have access to the system. I am still able to log into the admitted students website with the credentials they gave us.

clee33

Postby clee33 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:42 pm

Thanks. Yeah I couldn't log in using Crome. Just tried it in Firefox and it works fine. Go figure.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:38 am

So the studios in the Embassy Apartments look awesome. Do they go super fast, to the point where it would be worth trying to start a lease in say, July, instead of August?

Also, more generally, I'm kind of lazily apartment hunting right now, but I live in Texas and am not going to be able to visit Philadelphia before heading up. Is it safe to assume that buildings like the Embassy or the Drake are safe to sign a lease sight-unseen with? Barring that, my other thought is to get a month sublet in August and then apartment hunt in person before school starts. I've done that in other cities in the past, but is there any reason that would be a bad idea in this case?

Georgiana

Postby Georgiana » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:03 am

Nobody wrote:So the studios in the Embassy Apartments look awesome. Do they go super fast, to the point where it would be worth trying to start a lease in say, July, instead of August?

Also, more generally, I'm kind of lazily apartment hunting right now, but I live in Texas and am not going to be able to visit Philadelphia before heading up. Is it safe to assume that buildings like the Embassy or the Drake are safe to sign a lease sight-unseen with? Barring that, my other thought is to get a month sublet in August and then apartment hunt in person before school starts. I've done that in other cities in the past, but is there any reason that would be a bad idea in this case?

Phila Mgmt has a bad rep as a management company so look into reviews on them before signing.

The Drake is a block from my last apartment in Philly and I loved the area. Also near there is the Versailles (lived there, nice spacious apartments but there are definitely mice) and the Touraine.

You can generally get better deals by looking at brownstones/walk ups but you really need to be in the area for that. I dont think there's any reason (other than stress) that subletting and apartment searching is a bad idea, assuming you do it quickly... and starting to look in August may be a bit late since Philly is full of students.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:47 pm

That's my worry. I have been assuming that Philadelphia is a big enough city that there won't be a huge crunch in August, but would it be the sort of situation where most of the affordable housing is taken up by then? Is it a situation where I'd be completely shut out or just have fewer options? I've been planning on working through July, but obviously that stops being worth it if I end up paying $500/month more because of it.

iamrobk

Postby iamrobk » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:01 pm

Nobody wrote:That's my worry. I have been assuming that Philadelphia is a big enough city that there won't be a huge crunch in August, but would it be the sort of situation where most of the affordable housing is taken up by then? Is it a situation where I'd be completely shut out or just have fewer options? I've been planning on working through July, but obviously that stops being worth it if I end up paying $500/month more because of it.

Just because of all the students in the area (Penn and Drexel mostly, but a decent amount of Temple students live in Center City), I'd suggest to make sure you sign a lease sooner rather than later if you're looking for a building with a good value.

Dato

Postby Dato » Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:25 pm

Last edited by Dato on Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iamrobk

Postby iamrobk » Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:49 pm

Dato wrote:What are the most fun areas of Philly (cool dive and dance bars, funky restaurants, speakeasies, cafes, shops etc.)?

Center City, University City, Manayunk, and Northern Liberties. Chestnut Hill and Fairmount come to mind a bit too.

westphillybandr

Postby westphillybandr » Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:00 pm

iamrobk wrote:
Dato wrote:What are the most fun areas of Philly (cool dive and dance bars, funky restaurants, speakeasies, cafes, shops etc.)?

Center City, University City, Manayunk, and Northern Liberties. Chestnut Hill and Fairmount come to mind a bit too.

:) can't wait

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:05 am

iamrobk wrote:

Center City,University City, Manayunk, and Northern Liberties. Chestnut Hill and Fairmount come to mind a bit too.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:52 pm

iamrobk wrote:

Washington Square as well.

EHowell

Postby EHowell » Fri May 04, 2012 5:18 am

Had a question about housing, specifically about the University City Housing company. I am interested in a "Branden" appt (40th and Chestnut) but wanted to make sure there aren't any horror stories about the complex or the company. Any info?

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Fri May 04, 2012 6:15 am

WhiteGuy5 wrote:Tagging myself. Carry on.

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Fri May 04, 2012 12:04 pm

Nelson wrote:
iamrobk wrote:

Center City,University City, Manayunk, and Northern Liberties. Chestnut Hill and Fairmount come to mind a bit too.

Northern Liberties sucks. Baltimore Ave. from 43rd through about 52nd is where it's at. Also the Art Museum area if you're feeling low key.

Dato

Postby Dato » Sun May 06, 2012 11:32 am

Thanks for the feedback re: spots to go out. I noticed an earlier poster was worried about coming to find housing in august. You all validated that concern. Would you also say that early-mid july is too late to look for an apt?

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Wed May 23, 2012 9:41 am

Penn 2L (!!!) taking questions. First week on the job at my internship, nobody was really prepared to give me work, so I'm doing nothing for about a week. But, getting paid! (Yes, many people get paid 1L summer jobs from Penn. I was surprised as anyone)

Ask me anything.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”