Penn Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby Veyron » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:55 pm

ACROOS170 wrote:I've skimmed through about 20 pgs or so and didn't find anything particularly relevant to my question. However, if it has been answered, I apologize in advance...

Right now, I'm leaning toward Penn and its prestige over UTexas (close to home and feeds into markets I'm interested in) and Wash U (huge scholarship). Aside from the lure of attending an Ivy League law school, my preference for Penn primarily derives from their employment statistics. It seems that the top 2/3s of the class can feel pretty comfortable about their job prospects and salaries. But what about the bottom third?

Obviously, I don't expect the entire class to receive market salaries. However, if I am going to take out nearly $200k in debt, I need to be pretty convinced that I won't graduate with a sub 120k salary... much less a 65k salary...

I don't plan on finishing in the bottom third of my class but I doubt that anybody does... So, I am concerned. But how concerned should I be?

THANKS in advance!

__________________________________

*I guess I'm looking for specific answers (i.e. if you are in the bottom 20% or so, expect to scramble for employment up until graduation when you settle for midlaw or less in a market that wasn't in your top three choices...)



This is way too general. Depends on the markets that you are targeting. In my market, you probably won't find a firm where first years make above 120k. However, the cost of living is obscenely cheap. I will tell you that I have been offered at least 1 post-graduation job without my grades being requested at all. My summer associate firm (which pays associates in the low six figs) requested them, couldn't figure out what the hell them meant, and they were never mentioned again. Now if you want traditional NYC biglaw, it helps to be in the top 2/3 but I know kids in the bottom 1/3 who also got it. I wouldn't expect it though if your grades are that bad.

The bottom line is that you are very unlikely to graduate from Penn unemployed. It seems like its a minority of the class that can't get 6 figures if they want it.

clee33
Posts: 63
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:29 am

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby clee33 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:54 pm

hey guys,

i was reading through this thread and saw someone reference --LinkRemoved--

It's not up anymore, is there a different essay bank now? do you need a penn id to access it?

Also, is there a website with professor reviews by students?

thanks! it's awesome of you guys to answer questions, as an 0L I really appreciate it.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby r6_philly » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:34 pm

clee33 wrote:hey guys,

i was reading through this thread and saw someone reference --LinkRemoved--

It's not up anymore, is there a different essay bank now? do you need a penn id to access it?

Also, is there a website with professor reviews by students?

thanks! it's awesome of you guys to answer questions, as an 0L I really appreciate it.


You will have access to outlines from a variety of sources once you are a 1L from within school. Don't worry, we are really that collegial. They won't do you much good now since you don't know who you will have.

Although, maybe I should revive the site.

ahnhub
Posts: 578
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:14 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby ahnhub » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:00 pm

So I just got an email from Financial Aid saying I do not qualify for need-based financial aid. Is there going to be a separate notification for merit-based, or is Penn saying they're offering nothing?

iamrobk
Posts: 485
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:31 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby iamrobk » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:14 pm

ahnhub wrote:So I just got an email from Financial Aid saying I do not qualify for need-based financial aid. Is there going to be a separate notification for merit-based, or is Penn saying they're offering nothing?

I'm going to take the fact that I haven't gotten an email yet as news that... I'm still not getting any aid. :lol:

poi
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:56 am

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby poi » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:18 pm

ahnhub wrote:So I just got an email from Financial Aid saying I do not qualify for need-based financial aid. Is there going to be a separate notification for merit-based, or is Penn saying they're offering nothing?


I got this email too. I believe other than the few named merit scholarships, they only offer dean's scholarships in various amounts. I remember reading that the named scholarships have already gone out. Looks like we're getting nothing. :(

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby Veyron » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:39 pm

poi wrote:
ahnhub wrote:So I just got an email from Financial Aid saying I do not qualify for need-based financial aid. Is there going to be a separate notification for merit-based, or is Penn saying they're offering nothing?


I got this email too. I believe other than the few named merit scholarships, they only offer dean's scholarships in various amounts. I remember reading that the named scholarships have already gone out. Looks like we're getting nothing. :(


Dean's scholarships are the most common anyway.

User avatar
PennBull
Posts: 15373
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:59 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby PennBull » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:40 am

ahnhub wrote:So I just got an email from Financial Aid saying I do not qualify for need-based financial aid. Is there going to be a separate notification for merit-based, or is Penn saying they're offering nothing?


Last year, they did both at the same time (besides the named scholarships). Just e-mail Anthony Henry/FinAid and ask. They're very quick and helpful.

iamrobk
Posts: 485
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:31 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby iamrobk » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:08 am

Also got the email and don't qualify for aid, not that I was expecting any.

User avatar
jrthor10
Posts: 364
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:33 am

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby jrthor10 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:40 pm

Two quick questions:

1. Have ED students gotten $$ this year/been known to get $$ in previous years?

2. How does penn do with placement in Chicago and other major markets outside NY?

Thanks!

westphillybandr
Posts: 150
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:52 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby westphillybandr » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:57 pm

How realistic is the Room and Board Budget that Penn Law cites 8,822 for room and 4,570 for board. That comes out to 1488/month. I currently live in NYC and that wouldn't far. How much can I spend on rent in Philly with this budget?

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby r6_philly » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:10 pm

westphillybandr wrote:How realistic is the Room and Board Budget that Penn Law cites 8,822 for room and 4,570 for board. That comes out to 1488/month. I currently live in NYC and that wouldn't far. How much can I spend on rent in Philly with this budget?


700-2000+ a month depends on what you want.

westphillybandr
Posts: 150
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:52 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby westphillybandr » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:29 am

r6_philly wrote:
westphillybandr wrote:How realistic is the Room and Board Budget that Penn Law cites 8,822 for room and 4,570 for board. That comes out to 1488/month. I currently live in NYC and that wouldn't far. How much can I spend on rent in Philly with this budget?


700-2000+ a month depends on what you want.

I can spend 2000 on a 1488/month budget? I'm wondering how much of the 1488 can I spend and still have enough money for groceries, utilities, entertainment, transportation etc.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby r6_philly » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:37 am

westphillybandr wrote:I can spend 2000 on a 1488/month budget? I'm wondering how much of the 1488 can I spend and still have enough money for groceries, utilities, entertainment, transportation etc.


Sorry, misread your question. I say 800-900 a month on rent, and 600-700 a month on food is reasonable. You can get 3000 more added to your 1L budget if you apply to buy a new computer (which you don't have to buy).

User avatar
Georgiana
Posts: 647
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:42 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby Georgiana » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:00 am

r6_philly wrote:
westphillybandr wrote:I can spend 2000 on a 1488/month budget? I'm wondering how much of the 1488 can I spend and still have enough money for groceries, utilities, entertainment, transportation etc.


Sorry, misread your question. I say 800-900 a month on rent, and 600-700 a month on food is reasonable. You can get 3000 more added to your 1L budget if you apply to buy a new computer (which you don't have to buy).

You can do a lot to up your budget:
1) Give them copies of all of the things you'll be paying for on a monthly basis (rent, utilities, phone, internet etc) and do the math for that it will cost and then multiply that out to get your "real" budget. Also, calculate the cost of new books and print out a copy of the shopping cart, they'll increase your budget if that's more than the quoted book allotment.
2) You can ask for up to $1000 to fund interviewing things (I learned this when I did the regional interviews in LA, this can include flights and interview clothing, among other things).
3) The 3k for a new computer already mentioned (you can build a crazy one on apple or sony so that it costs close to 3k, print the invoice, and never actually buy it).

Edited for egregious typo showing I wasn't paying attention when I typed this up...
Last edited by Georgiana on Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

clee33
Posts: 63
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:29 am

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby clee33 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:27 pm

Can any student get this laptop deal? Or do you have to be on a certain level of aid?

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby r6_philly » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:38 pm

clee33 wrote:Can any student get this laptop deal? Or do you have to be on a certain level of aid?


Anyone can. You just have to fill out a budget increase form and include an "invoice" as mentioned above.

clee33
Posts: 63
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:29 am

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby clee33 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:47 pm

Wait sorry im just a little unclear still. Is this a loan or are you telling me that I can get a "free" laptop?

westphillybandr
Posts: 150
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:52 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby westphillybandr » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:04 pm

Georgiana wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
westphillybandr wrote:I can spend 2000 on a 1488/month budget? I'm wondering how much of the 1488 can I spend and still have enough money for groceries, utilities, entertainment, transportation etc.


Sorry, misread your question. I say 800-900 a month on rent, and 600-700 a month on food is reasonable. You can get 3000 more added to your 1L budget if you apply to buy a new computer (which you don't have to buy).

You can do a lot to up your budget:
1) Give them copies of all of the things you'll be paying for on a monthly basis (rent, utilities, phone, internet etc) and do the math for that it will cost and then multiply that out to get your "real" budget. Also, calculate the cost of new books and print out a copy of the shopping cart, they'll increase your budget if that's more than the quoted book your actual lease and they'll adjust the amount based on that.
2) You can ask for up to $1000 to fund interviewing things (I learned this when I did the regional interviews in LA, this can include flights and interview clothing, among other things).
3) The 3k for a new computer already mentioned (you can build a crazy one on apple or sony so that it costs close to 3k, print the invoice, and never actually buy it).



Ahhh ok thank you that is very helpful. I'm looking for places now and was completely lost as to what my price range should be. I'll look for the cheapest I can find within reason but hopefully find something under 800

iamrobk
Posts: 485
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:31 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby iamrobk » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:23 pm

westphillybandr wrote:
Georgiana wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
westphillybandr wrote:I can spend 2000 on a 1488/month budget? I'm wondering how much of the 1488 can I spend and still have enough money for groceries, utilities, entertainment, transportation etc.


Sorry, misread your question. I say 800-900 a month on rent, and 600-700 a month on food is reasonable. You can get 3000 more added to your 1L budget if you apply to buy a new computer (which you don't have to buy).

You can do a lot to up your budget:
1) Give them copies of all of the things you'll be paying for on a monthly basis (rent, utilities, phone, internet etc) and do the math for that it will cost and then multiply that out to get your "real" budget. Also, calculate the cost of new books and print out a copy of the shopping cart, they'll increase your budget if that's more than the quoted book your actual lease and they'll adjust the amount based on that.
2) You can ask for up to $1000 to fund interviewing things (I learned this when I did the regional interviews in LA, this can include flights and interview clothing, among other things).
3) The 3k for a new computer already mentioned (you can build a crazy one on apple or sony so that it costs close to 3k, print the invoice, and never actually buy it).



Ahhh ok thank you that is very helpful. I'm looking for places now and was completely lost as to what my price range should be. I'll look for the cheapest I can find within reason but hopefully find something under 800

You can definitely find stuff for 700-900 within walking distance of the law school. I just signed a lease paying just over $700 a month for a studio. Small, and the location ain't quite Domus or Sansom, but it's cheap and a nice walk. You can PM me if you want any advice.

User avatar
Georgiana
Posts: 647
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:42 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby Georgiana » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:40 pm

clee33 wrote:Wait sorry im just a little unclear still. Is this a loan or are you telling me that I can get a "free" laptop?

Its part of your loans, they'll increase your student budget so you can get more $$ in loans.

Copacetic1
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:15 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby Copacetic1 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:26 am

What grocery stores are there by Left Bank and Domus? I realize that there is a Trader Joe's by 2400 and the other Center City apartment, but was just wondering what people did for food at Left Bank and Domus. Also, there arent many restaurants by Left Bank. Where do people generally eat around that area?

justicefishy
Posts: 497
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:02 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby justicefishy » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:11 am

Copacetic1 wrote:What grocery stores are there by Left Bank and Domus? I realize that there is a Trader Joe's by 2400 and the other Center City apartment, but was just wondering what people did for food at Left Bank and Domus. Also, there arent many restaurants by Left Bank. Where do people generally eat around that area?


For Left Bank, there's two in-building restaurants and a small convenience store (the wine bar was especially good). There's also a few restaurants several blocks away (law school area, plus Sang Kee which I've already scoped out as my Chinese food place of choice). Having made the walk though, Left Bank to TJ's isn't bad, about 15 minutes, and there's always Philly Car Share which is cheap and easy to use. Not sure what other grocery stores there are though as I'm a 0L that's put way too much thought into this :D

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby r6_philly » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:39 am

There is a fresh grocer at 40th and Walnut, and a cheaper grocery store at 43th and Walnut.

User avatar
Georgiana
Posts: 647
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:42 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby Georgiana » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:38 pm

And there's always ordering groceries and having them delivered (my chosen method until I lived with my fiance who would go with me so we could actually carry enough to make trips to the real store worth it). You can also take a cab from the store, I had a few friends who would do that and just load the groceries into the back.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: SweetTort and 4 guests