Penn Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
iamrobk
Posts: 485
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:31 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby iamrobk » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:23 pm

JDizzle2015 wrote:

Tight. Thanks!

Yeah, I'm loving that. How long until it's CNP instead of CCN? :P

run26.2
Posts: 896
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:35 am

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby run26.2 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:36 pm

iamrobk wrote:
JDizzle2015 wrote:

Tight. Thanks!

Yeah, I'm loving that. How long until it's CNP instead of CCN? :P

I don't see it ever being CNP unless Columbia were seen to be in a tier of itself. Possibly CCP although more likely CCNP.

Although I think NYU and Penn are peer schools in many ways, though each has distinguishing factors, I think the most people will continue to see NYU as a better school than Penn, relying on ingrained traditional views.

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby Veyron » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:35 pm

Texas is probably the easiest market to target if you have ties.

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby 20130312 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:41 pm

XxMVPxX wrote:How do the new renovations look. The only thing I've been able to see is this rendering.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KifZt5MW ... r_embedded


Oh, hey, this is where I took the LSAT and will be taking it again come June. And hopefully spending a lot of time here come fall of 2013.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby r6_philly » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:42 pm

Veyron wrote:Texas is probably the easiest market to target if you have ties.


Do you know if they like hipster skinny ones down there?

User avatar
No13baby
Posts: 440
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:42 am

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby No13baby » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:19 pm

Did any of the current students ITT defer? Does anyone know how strict Penn is with granting deferrals?

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby r6_philly » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:39 pm

No13baby wrote:Did any of the current students ITT defer? Does anyone know how strict Penn is with granting deferrals?


Liberally.

User avatar
No13baby
Posts: 440
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:42 am

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby No13baby » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:14 pm

r6_philly wrote:
No13baby wrote:Did any of the current students ITT defer? Does anyone know how strict Penn is with granting deferrals?


Liberally.

SWEET.

User avatar
Sherwood2014
Posts: 54
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:21 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby Sherwood2014 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:00 pm

4th to 1st . . . good as it gets!

The data below compares this year's ranking to last year, while the link below provides more data.

Image

http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNLJ.jsp?interactive=true&id=1202543436520&slreturn=1

User avatar
XxMVPxX
Posts: 91
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:10 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby XxMVPxX » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:42 pm

Have any of you Penn attendees lived in or do you know anyone who has lived in Sansom Place? if so how did you/they like it?

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby Veyron » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:02 am

r6_philly wrote:
Veyron wrote:Texas is probably the easiest market to target if you have ties.


Do you know if they like hipster skinny ones down there?


No, I'm pretty sure its Bolo only.

User avatar
sn20
Posts: 157
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:36 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby sn20 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:45 am

Veyron wrote:Texas is probably the easiest market to target if you have ties.


Would you mind elaborating on this?

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby Veyron » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:47 am

sn20 wrote:
Veyron wrote:Texas is probably the easiest market to target if you have ties.


Would you mind elaborating on this?


What do you want to know. 1Ls from Texas have been known to land 1L SAs at BIGTEX with average grades and no particularly relevant work experience. Actually, I feel like everyone I knew from Texas got a 1L SA and certainly a 2L SA if they went for Texas. And if you have anything resembling an oil or gas background you'll have more offers than you know what to do with, grades be dammed.

The Texas economy never really experienced the full force of the recession and legal hiring never slowed down as much as it did in a lot of other places.

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby HeavenWood » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:55 pm

XxMVPxX wrote:Have any of you Penn attendees lived in or do you know anyone who has lived in Sansom Place? if so how did you/they like it?

It's horrifically overpriced given the Soviet-style quality. Seek elsewhere. You have been warned.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby r6_philly » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:18 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
XxMVPxX wrote:Have any of you Penn attendees lived in or do you know anyone who has lived in Sansom Place? if so how did you/they like it?

It's horrifically overpriced given the Soviet-style quality. Seek elsewhere. You have been warned.


You should apply to be an RA next door to the school. That place looks nice.

User avatar
Georgiana
Posts: 647
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:42 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby Georgiana » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:34 pm

XxMVPxX wrote: :shock:

Sounds like you have a pretty nice setup lol, did you guys meet at Penn?

Yep, met on journal, great life choice :)

User avatar
XxMVPxX
Posts: 91
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:10 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby XxMVPxX » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:02 pm

Georgiana wrote:
XxMVPxX wrote: :shock:

Sounds like you have a pretty nice setup lol, did you guys meet at Penn?

Yep, met on journal, great life choice :)


Sorry I'm still an undergrad and not quite familiar with the lexicon, what exactly is "journal" lol?

User avatar
PARTY
Posts: 420
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:54 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby PARTY » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:02 pm

XxMVPxX wrote:
Georgiana wrote:
XxMVPxX wrote: :shock:

Sounds like you have a pretty nice setup lol, did you guys meet at Penn?

Yep, met on journal, great life choice :)


Sorry I'm still an undergrad and not quite familiar with the lexicon, what exactly is "journal" lol?


boooo

User avatar
XxMVPxX
Posts: 91
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:10 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby XxMVPxX » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:09 pm

PARTY wrote:boooo


Image

User avatar
Georgiana
Posts: 647
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:42 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby Georgiana » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:15 pm

XxMVPxX wrote:Sorry I'm still an undergrad and not quite familiar with the lexicon, what exactly is "journal" lol?

Basic overview of law reviews/journals: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_review

User avatar
PARTY
Posts: 420
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:54 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby PARTY » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:16 pm

XxMVPxX wrote:
PARTY wrote:boooo


Image


jean-luc was better.

User avatar
XxMVPxX
Posts: 91
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:10 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby XxMVPxX » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:59 pm

Georgiana wrote:
XxMVPxX wrote:Sorry I'm still an undergrad and not quite familiar with the lexicon, what exactly is "journal" lol?

Basic overview of law reviews/journals: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_review


Thanks!

PARTY wrote:jean-luc was better.


Yeah but it didn't really make any sense or apply to the situation at all.

johnkim1982
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:14 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby johnkim1982 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:37 am

Hi everyone:

Can anyone comment on how rigorous the 1L curriculum is by semester? I'm wondering whether having two electives in the second semester makes things a bit easier (in addition to the familiarity you'd have because of the first semester).

I ask because I might be doing a joint degree at Penn, and the other department's curriculum consists of four courses per semester, meaning that if I substitute one of my 1L electives to take a seminar over there, I'm concerned that I won't be able to devote as much time to that course due to the 1L load.

Thanks!

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby Veyron » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:29 am

johnkim1982 wrote:Hi everyone:

Can anyone comment on how rigorous the 1L curriculum is by semester? I'm wondering whether having two electives in the second semester makes things a bit easier (in addition to the familiarity you'd have because of the first semester).

I ask because I might be doing a joint degree at Penn, and the other department's curriculum consists of four courses per semester, meaning that if I substitute one of my 1L electives to take a seminar over there, I'm concerned that I won't be able to devote as much time to that course due to the 1L load.

Thanks!


Since pretty-much any course is less rigorous than a 1L course, that would actually free up your schedule. But you might want to check and see if Penn Law will even allow you to substitute the course at another school for one of the electives, I don't necessarily think they would even if you are working on a joint degree.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby r6_philly » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:40 am

Veyron wrote:
johnkim1982 wrote:Hi everyone:

Can anyone comment on how rigorous the 1L curriculum is by semester? I'm wondering whether having two electives in the second semester makes things a bit easier (in addition to the familiarity you'd have because of the first semester).

I ask because I might be doing a joint degree at Penn, and the other department's curriculum consists of four courses per semester, meaning that if I substitute one of my 1L electives to take a seminar over there, I'm concerned that I won't be able to devote as much time to that course due to the 1L load.

Thanks!


Since pretty-much any course is less rigorous than a 1L course, that would actually free up your schedule. But you might want to check and see if Penn Law will even allow you to substitute the course at another school for one of the electives, I don't necessarily think they would even if you are working on a joint degree.


The 2 electives in the Spring only meet twice a week (one less meeting per class per week from the Fall). The classes also require a lot less reading. So Spring is a bit easier. But since they are dropping Property, your first semester might be a little less vigorous than we all had.


As for substituting a non-law class, I remember reading about it somewhere in the policies but you have to petition it. Maybe they will let you sub the perspective class, I don't think they would let you not take a regulatory one.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests