Penn Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Georgiana

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby Georgiana » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:09 am

r6_philly wrote:So what's better to have - consistent grades or mixture of good and not so good? Does it help a lot to have an A, or does it hurt a lot to have an B-? I know it's too general of a question, but I just want some opinions/viewpoints.

Depends on who your audience is.

Firms: You can probably explain one B or B- in 1L and they'll share an anecdote about their crappy grade in x class as a law student and they'll remember you for being a real person (note: does not apply at all law firms). After 1L, law firms don't really care as long as you graduate without looking like a fool.

Judges: Current clerks have good grades and compare you to themselves, not just to the other applicants. If their grades were better than yours they'll laugh that you applied. If you're aiming for a competitive court you should be seeing A-, A, A+ a majority of the time. If you're more relaxed about where you want to clerk, you'll be fine with a good mix of grades.

Registrar: You should be consistently above the curve. One B- won't kill you, but getting a bunch of A-'s and B+'s isnt going to get you latins and if you aren't certain the A+ exists (bc you haven't gotten one) you probably wont be getting magna and you definitely aren't getting summa.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:14 am

Does latin even matter?

I guess I won't be clerking. :D

Georgiana

Postby Georgiana » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:39 am

r6_philly wrote:Does latin even matter?

They matter to some people...

Me: No latins, making 160k at a V10
Fiance: Summa, making 160k at a V10

I say meh to latins and don't regret my lack of efforts :)

run26.2

Postby run26.2 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:38 am

Georgiana wrote:
r6_philly wrote:So what's better to have - consistent grades or mixture of good and not so good? Does it help a lot to have an A, or does it hurt a lot to have an B-? I know it's too general of a question, but I just want some opinions/viewpoints.

Depends on who your audience is.

Firms: You can probably explain one B or B- in 1L and they'll share an anecdote about their crappy grade in x class as a law student and they'll remember you for being a real person (note: does not apply at all law firms). After 1L, law firms don't really care as long as you graduate without looking like a fool.

Judges: Current clerks have good grades and compare you to themselves, not just to the other applicants. If their grades were better than yours they'll laugh that you applied. If you're aiming for a competitive court you should be seeing A-, A, A+ a majority of the time. If you're more relaxed about where you want to clerk, you'll be fine with a good mix of grades.

Registrar: You should be consistently above the curve. One B- won't kill you, but getting a bunch of A-'s and B+'s isnt going to get you latins and if you aren't certain the A+ exists (bc you haven't gotten one) you probably wont be getting magna and you definitely aren't getting summa.

I would say having A- and B+s in equal proportion with As would probably get you cum laude.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:03 am

Wholigan wrote:

For OCI and clerkships, my understanding is they are taking out a calculator and figuring out what your GPA is, as if they were calculated like other law schools do. So it probably doesn't matter what the distribution is for those purposes, outside of the extent some employers or judges might like higher grades in certain classes. As I recall, one employer at OCI even posted in their bid area that they want a certain GPA, notwithstanding the fact that the school does not have GPAs.

Lots of employers do this but they don't always follow their own cutoffs. In fact, I would say that the often don't.

Also, you people obsessing over latin honors are fucked in the head. If you don't already have a job/clerkship lined up before you find out you should have spent less time studying and more time finding a job.

Georgiana

Postby Georgiana » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:35 am

Veyron wrote:
Wholigan wrote:

For OCI and clerkships, my understanding is they are taking out a calculator and figuring out what your GPA is, as if they were calculated like other law schools do. So it probably doesn't matter what the distribution is for those purposes, outside of the extent some employers or judges might like higher grades in certain classes. As I recall, one employer at OCI even posted in their bid area that they want a certain GPA, notwithstanding the fact that the school does not have GPAs.

Lots of employers do this but they don't always follow their own cutoffs. In fact, I would say that the often don't.

Also, you people obsessing over latin honors are fucked in the head. If you don't already have a job/clerkship lined up before you find out you should have spent less time studying and more time finding a job.

Bolded is true. Though if you're hoping to work for a few years then go clerk, latins can be helpful, but at that point connections are even more helpful.

Don't stress over your grades at this point. If you have a good mix of A-/B+/B you'll be fine for a firm job. If you have all B/B-, step up your game. If you have all A/A-, pat yourself on the back and do it again this semester. You're all smart people, that's why you're at Penn, don't let your grades dictate your self worth.

run26.2

Postby run26.2 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:08 pm

Georgiana wrote:You're all smart people, that's why you're at Penn, don't let your grades dictate your self worth.

This.

The legal profession is obsessed with rankings. No need to get caught up in it.

No13baby

Postby No13baby » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:59 am

Does anyone have any experience looking for West Coast jobs from Penn? I saw references earlier in the thread to CA regional interviews in LA, but I'm more interested in the Bay Area and (especially) the Pacific Northwest. I am definitely considering Penn, but I'm not sure if their east coast-y placement is due to self-selection or if it's difficult to get a west coast job due to lack of recruiting or other factors. I have zero interest in working in New York.

Georgiana

Postby Georgiana » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:12 am

No13baby wrote:Does anyone have any experience looking for West Coast jobs from Penn? I saw references earlier in the thread to CA regional interviews in LA, but I'm more interested in the Bay Area and (especially) the Pacific Northwest. I am definitely considering Penn, but I'm not sure if their east coast-y placement is due to self-selection or if it's difficult to get a west coast job due to lack of recruiting or other factors. I have zero interest in working in New York.

They have regional interviews throughout CA, not just in LA. If you have ties to CA it shouldn't be too hard to find a job, but the bay area legal market isn't the most robust right now and I know a lot of people my year (aka OCI summer 2009) who struggled immensely to get into CA. I'm guessing it has improved, but someone who has done OCI more recently can weigh in.

Smumps

Postby Smumps » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:29 pm

This thread is awesome.

I've read through most of it regarding housing information, but am a bit overwhelmed. I will explore during ASW in March, but would like a bit of direction before I randomly walk around the city.

Want
1. Studio
2. Be within 20 minutes of Penn via PubTran (I have a car, not sure if I'll bring it--how is parking?)
3. Pay $1000 or less a month
4. Not get killed on the way home
5. A building/area that's not falling apart.

I do not care too much if it's noisy, if it's near bars, etc.

Also -- how early can do places come available for a July/August move in? Would obviously LOVE to have something locked down in March, if that's possible.

Thanks in advance. I'll buy anyone that helps coffee! Or a beer! Woo. Go Penn.

Georgiana

Postby Georgiana » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:25 pm

Smumps wrote:This thread is awesome.

I've read through most of it regarding housing information, but am a bit overwhelmed. I will explore during ASW in March, but would like a bit of direction before I randomly walk around the city.

Want
1. Studio
2. Be within 20 minutes of Penn via PubTran (I have a car, not sure if I'll bring it--how is parking?)

Also -- how early can do places come available for a July/August move in? Would obviously LOVE to have something locked down in March, if that's possible.

My studio at the Wellington (19th and Walnut) cost me $1000/month inclusive of utilities. They don't have a good website but you can call and set up an appointment, the prices may have gone up a little bit but she's usually willing to knock off a bit if you sign a 2 year lease and/or are a student.

violaboy

Postby violaboy » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:21 pm

Smumps wrote:This thread is awesome.

Want
1. Studio

I live in West Philly and love it. If you're in certain parts, you'll be completely safe. Studios this way tend to be about $600-700 or less, some including utilities. And you can park on the streets with a permit sticker for $35/yr (or something like that). If you want more specific areas/advice, feel free to PM.

schween

Postby schween » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:52 am

I'm told things got pretty wild today in one of the 1L constitutional law classes? From what I gather, a student got up while the prof was talking and started drawing female genitalia on the board...??? Was anyone present for this?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:40 am

Seriously? No way.

I was on an interview, missed it if it actually happened.

dabomb75

Postby dabomb75 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:39 pm

schween wrote:I'm told things got pretty wild today in one of the 1L constitutional law classes? From what I gather, a student got up while the prof was talking and started drawing female genitalia on the board...??? Was anyone present for this?

lol awesome. Sadly not my section since we didn't have con law yesterday

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:14 am

dabomb75 wrote:
schween wrote:I'm told things got pretty wild today in one of the 1L constitutional law classes? From what I gather, a student got up while the prof was talking and started drawing female genitalia on the board...??? Was anyone present for this?

lol awesome. Sadly not my section since we didn't have con law yesterday

People do stupid shit. It happens.

XxMVPxX

Postby XxMVPxX » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:19 am

Georgiana wrote:
r6_philly wrote:Does latin even matter?

They matter to some people...

Me: No latins, making 160k at a V10
Fiance: Summa, making 160k at a V10

I say meh to latins and don't regret my lack of efforts :)

:shock:

Sounds like you have a pretty nice setup lol, did you guys meet at Penn?

Sherwood2014

Postby Sherwood2014 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:46 am

JDizzle2015

Postby JDizzle2015 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:22 pm

Tight. Thanks!

XxMVPxX

Postby XxMVPxX » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:51 pm

How do the new renovations look. The only thing I've been able to see is this rendering.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KifZt5MW ... r_embedded

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:55 pm

XxMVPxX wrote:How do the new renovations look. The only thing I've been able to see is this rendering.

http://www.law.upenn.edu/blogs/news/arc ... a_law.html

XxMVPxX

Postby XxMVPxX » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:07 pm

absolutazn87

Postby absolutazn87 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:52 pm

r6_philly wrote:
XxMVPxX wrote:How do the new renovations look. The only thing I've been able to see is this rendering.

http://www.law.upenn.edu/blogs/news/arc ... a_law.html

wow...so much wide-angle lens!!

ACROOS170

Postby ACROOS170 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:32 am

This question has probably been answered but I cannot find it. I was recently admitted to Penn and I assume that I won't receive any scholly offers. I'm deciding between Penn, Texas w/ In-State + 10k/yr, & Wash U @ Full. Right now, I am leaning toward Penn but the loans scare the hell outta me. I've run the numbers over 10 years and, as long as I landed a $150k+ job, it doesn't seem impossible.

I don't plan on placing in the bottom third but I don't think anybody does. How do people who score in the bottom third place in jobs? Is BigLaw out of the question? How do Penn grads do in Texas (assuming any actually want to come down here :roll: )?

Thanks in advance!!!!

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:05 am

ACROOS170 wrote:This question has probably been answered but I cannot find it. I was recently admitted to Penn and I assume that I won't receive any scholly offers. I'm deciding between Penn, Texas w/ In-State + 10k/yr, & Wash U @ Full. Right now, I am leaning toward Penn but the loans scare the hell outta me. I've run the numbers over 10 years and, as long as I landed a $150k+ job, it doesn't seem impossible.

I don't plan on placing in the bottom third but I don't think anybody does. How do people who score in the bottom third place in jobs? Is BigLaw out of the question? How do Penn grads do in Texas (assuming any actually want to come down here :roll: )?

Thanks in advance!!!!

1/3 of the class do miss out on biglaw, but it's not strictly class rank based. There are a lot of factors that go into getting a biglaw job, having the grades only get you a good starting point, and having bad grades won't automatically sink you. So that said, I think going somewhere where you have the most chance of landing a biglaw job regardless of grades is the most prudent.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”