Penn Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
thelawyler

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby thelawyler » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:21 am

I know that Penn is relatively stingy with merit aid until you get to a certain level, but how is the need-based aid / grants at Penn? My economic situation is pretty poor, but I know some law schools just don't care. Does anybody here get any need-based aid? Do you know any friends who do? And if you do, what are their stats?

I have a 3.4/173 and I am wondering if I can even expect a 20k need-based grant or something if I ED.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:19 am

thelawyler wrote:I know that Penn is relatively stingy with merit aid until you get to a certain level, but how is the need-based aid / grants at Penn? My economic situation is pretty poor, but I know some law schools just don't care. Does anybody here get any need-based aid? Do you know any friends who do? And if you do, what are their stats?

I have a 3.4/173 and I am wondering if I can even expect a 20k need-based grant or something if I ED.

Real need based aid does not exist outside of HYS. Sorry bro. You might get 10k a year or something with those numbers, but probably not if you ED.

Georgiana

Postby Georgiana » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:51 am

Veyron wrote:
thelawyler wrote:I know that Penn is relatively stingy with merit aid until you get to a certain level, but how is the need-based aid / grants at Penn? My economic situation is pretty poor, but I know some law schools just don't care. Does anybody here get any need-based aid? Do you know any friends who do? And if you do, what are their stats?

Real need based aid does not exist outside of HYS. Sorry bro. You might get 10k a year or something with those numbers, but probably not if you ED.

I got need based aid (maybe it was fake?) which took almost a year off my cost. even woth that i feel like im swimming in debt. I cant imagine having full sticker in loans. In theory you would still get need based with ED but unless youre willing to risk sticker i wouldnt do it.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:55 am

Georgiana wrote:
Veyron wrote:

I got need based aid (maybe it was fake?) which took almost a year off my cost. even woth that i feel like im swimming in debt. I cant imagine having full sticker in loans. In theory you would still get need based with ED but unless youre willing to risk sticker i wouldnt do it.

My level of envy is extreme. I was basically told to screw myself on the need based front and I made shit before law school. I got some other aid so I guess its alright.

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:44 pm

Veyron wrote:
Georgiana wrote:
Veyron wrote:

My level of envy is extreme. I was basically told to screw myself on the need based front and I made shit before law school. I got some other aid so I guess its alright.

I also got a bunch of need-based aid. The problem is that they take in to account your parents' income, from what I understand, so even if you're broke, you won't get anything if your parents have some money.

riccardo426

Postby riccardo426 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:50 pm

I also got a years worth of need-based aid, but I imagine my parent's income is in the bottom 2% of accepted students. All in all Penn will cost me about $130k so I'm pretty happy.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:59 pm

*Shakes head*

One fucked up system. All right, ignore my comments about Penn aid then.

thelawyler

Postby thelawyler » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:20 pm

Thanks for the fast responses everyone.

riccardo426 wrote:I also got a years worth of need-based aid, but I imagine my parent's income is in the bottom 2% of accepted students. All in all Penn will cost me about $130k so I'm pretty happy.

Hmm that's positive to hear as I know in undergrad I was told I was told my parents made in the bottom 5% in the school and I got a lot of aid. It sounds like you got some merit aid as well. I guess I have this suspicion that the grants are only given to people who also get merit aid... Do you mind sharing your numbers (even through PM).

Gosh I know this isn't the thread or section to ask these questions but given that this info was not available en-mass at LSN, I thought I'd come here for some anecdotal data. But it looks like ED data is impossible to come by...

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:40 pm

johnnyutah wrote:
Veyron wrote:
Georgiana wrote:
Veyron wrote:Real need based aid does not exist outside of HYS. Sorry bro. You might get 10k a year or something with those numbers, but probably not if you ED.

I also got a bunch of need-based aid. The problem is that they take in to account your parents' income, from what I understand, so even if you're broke, you won't get anything if your parents have some money.

Even if you're no longer a dependent? That's some fucked up shit right there.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:54 pm

HeavenWood wrote:Even if you're no longer a dependent? That's some fucked up shit right there.

Yeah but no one going to law school is a dependent, and almost no one going to law school has any money.

Also tagging this thread. Thanks to all the students who have posted info over the years.

Georgiana

Postby Georgiana » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:42 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:Even if you're no longer a dependent? That's some fucked up shit right there.

Yeah but no one going to law school is a dependent, and almost no one going to law school has any money.

Also tagging this thread. Thanks to all the students who have posted info over the years.

Bolded is really what Penn is probably thinking. A lot of parents will step in if their child is unemployed and can't pay their rent much less their student loans... but if your parents don't have the money to help in any way, you don't have any sort of safety net. Obviously there are parents who won't do that even if they have the ability, but its hard to figure out who would and wouldn't so they try their best to consider fairly objective criteria. It'll never be a perfect system, but there are definitely people going to law school coming from lower/lower-middle class backgrounds, especially with single parents.

Anyway... yay to a brand new cycle and good luck to all new applicants! I don't start work until the 17th so I'll be around until then, but I have a feeling life/wedding planning/life planning will take over my time after that :)

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:52 pm

Georgiana wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:

Bolded is really what Penn is probably thinking. A lot of parents will step in if their child is unemployed and can't pay their rent much less their student loans... but if your parents don't have the money to help in any way, you don't have any sort of safety net. Obviously there are parents who won't do that even if they have the ability, but its hard to figure out who would and wouldn't so they try their best to consider fairly objective criteria. It'll never be a perfect system, but there are definitely people going to law school coming from lower/lower-middle class backgrounds, especially with single parents.

Anyway... yay to a brand new cycle and good luck to all new applicants! I don't start work until the 17th so I'll be around until then, but I have a feeling life/wedding planning/life planning will take over my time after that :)

Getting married? Congrats!

Georgiana

Postby Georgiana » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:02 pm

Veyron wrote:Getting married? Congrats!

Yes! Thank you!!

We'll have cute little Penn Law legacy babies... eventually (who will hopefully go to medical school haha).

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:09 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:

You can be a dependent up to age 24 if you're a full-time student. This includes a lot of people straight out of undergrad. My point is that it's silly to assume parents are going to pay (or even chip in for) their children's education. But it saves Penn money, and I guess that's what matters.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:54 pm

Georgiana wrote:
Veyron wrote:Getting married? Congrats!

Yes! Thank you!!

We'll have cute little Penn Law legacy babies... eventually (who will hopefully go to medical school haha).

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:37 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:

That is a faulty assumption. Very much so.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:39 am

HeavenWood wrote:You can be a dependent up to age 24 if you're a full-time student. This includes a lot of people straight out of undergrad. My point is that it's silly to assume parents are going to pay (or even chip in for) their children's education. But it saves Penn money, and I guess that's what matters.

To be fair for Penn, a lot of them are paying.

iusedtolurk

Postby iusedtolurk » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:52 pm

I know this is really early, but how likely is it to get into your top choice 1L elective? Do people ever have to take their alternate courses?

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:42 pm

iusedtolurk wrote:I know this is really early, but how likely is it to get into your top choice 1L elective? Do people ever have to take their alternate courses?

It is fairly likely, but people do often have to take alternates. Depends on how popular your choice is.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:56 am

johnnyutah wrote:
iusedtolurk wrote:I know this is really early, but how likely is it to get into your top choice 1L elective? Do people ever have to take their alternate courses?

It is fairly likely, but people do often have to take alternates. Depends on how popular your choice is.

What are the most popular ones?

thebigspoon

Postby thebigspoon » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:34 am

just had a real quick questioin. is the detkin IP and tech center open yet or is it still being planned?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:12 pm

thebigspoon wrote:just had a real quick questioin. is the detkin IP and tech center open yet or is it still being planned?

Not yet. I think the clinic is supposed to be active next year just in time for us. 8)

Schang1

Postby Schang1 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:06 am

This question probably has been answered... But could i ask one last time? I currently have 2 addendas for gpa and lsat but would love to submit a diversity statement and the 5 year essay too. That gives me 4 in total and i dont know if that would overwhelm them... Any help would be great.. I have everything ready to send in as ED but i just dont know which documents i should really submit :-( my numbers are low 3.4/169 but im willing to give a shot because penn is the only school i want to really attend.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:21 am

Schang1 wrote:This question probably has been answered... But could i ask one last time? I currently have 2 addendas for gpa and lsat but would love to submit a diversity statement and the 5 year essay too. That gives me 4 in total and i dont know if that would overwhelm them... Any help would be great.. I have everything ready to send in as ED but i just dont know which documents i should really submit :-( my numbers are low 3.4/169 but im willing to give a shot because penn is the only school i want to really attend.

Are you at least a semi-URM? Not to dash your hopes and dreams, but barring minority status or amazing softs, you're better off ED'ing elsewhere. Perhaps Michigan?

Then again, if you're amenable to a retake, you'd have an infinitely better shot if you literally scored one point higher on the LSAT.

Schang1

Postby Schang1 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:07 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
Schang1 wrote:This question probably has been answered... But could i ask one last time? I currently have 2 addendas for gpa and lsat but would love to submit a diversity statement and the 5 year essay too. That gives me 4 in total and i dont know if that would overwhelm them... Any help would be great.. I have everything ready to send in as ED but i just dont know which documents i should really submit :-( my numbers are low 3.4/169 but im willing to give a shot because penn is the only school i want to really attend.

Are you at least a semi-URM? Not to dash your hopes and dreams, but barring minority status or amazing softs, you're better off ED'ing elsewhere. Perhaps Michigan?

Then again, if you're amenable to a retake, you'd have an infinitely better shot if you literally scored one point higher on the LSAT.

What is a semi-URM? I'm an Asian female...

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”