Penn Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
LAguy

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby LAguy » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:03 am

johnnyutah wrote:
r6_philly wrote:What's the general impression on this year's OCI? How's the job marketing looking?

Anecdotal evidence suggests that rising 2Ls have been getting wayyyyyyyy more interviews and callbacks than my year did, at least.

It seems to be going well even for those at/below median. That said, there are still some people who are having a tough time, but I have no idea what their grades are. The kind of talk I read on last year's Penn forum about needing to be on LR, have work experience, or have top 1/3 grades does not seem to apply to this year's OCI. There are people doing really well without any of these things. Those in LR who can interview and are going to NY seem to have more callbacks than they know what to do with.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:45 pm

LAguy wrote:
johnnyutah wrote:
r6_philly wrote:What's the general impression on this year's OCI? How's the job marketing looking?

Anecdotal evidence suggests that rising 2Ls have been getting wayyyyyyyy more interviews and callbacks than my year did, at least.

It seems to be going well even for those at/below median. That said, there are still some people who are having a tough time, but I have no idea what their grades are. The kind of talk I read on last year's Penn forum about needing to be on LR, have work experience, or have top 1/3 grades does not seem to apply to this year's OCI. There are people doing really well without any of these things. Those in LR who can interview and are going to NY seem to have more callbacks than they know what to do with.

Yah, seems to be going really well *Knocks wood*. HYS CP, lol.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:28 pm

Wholigan wrote:

This is my own impression, but I got the sense that many got more screeners and callbacks than would have been expected for someone similarly situated in the past couple of years. Are you looking at Philly?

Good to hear! The mood of the class from my angle seems pretty good. Just want to get some other opinions.

I am probably going to be looking at either Philly or West Coast. No NYC for me. I would love to hear how the Philly market is doing.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:54 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Wholigan wrote:

This is my own impression, but I got the sense that many got more screeners and callbacks than would have been expected for someone similarly situated in the past couple of years. Are you looking at Philly?

Good to hear! The mood of the class from my angle seems pretty good. Just want to get some other opinions.

I am probably going to be looking at either Philly or West Coast. No NYC for me. I would love to hear how the Philly market is doing.

Philly seems to have recovered a somewhat from the depths of ITE. I.e., it ain't dead no more.

If you want west coast, be top 1/3. I can tell you that CA is the market where I had the least luck. Also LA firms are looking for pretty strong ties, which surprised me.

iusedtolurk

Postby iusedtolurk » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:33 pm

Where do people go to get their textbooks chopped up and bound into smaller sections? Thanks!

dabomb75

Postby dabomb75 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:29 am

tipler4213 wrote:Any thoughts on Parchomovsky (Property), Klick (Torts), Struve (Civ Pro), Safane (LW), Glickman (LW-yearlong), or Kraus (Contracts)?

I have this as well except I have Wolff for Civ Pro instead of Struve.

I'm mostly curious about Klick since he seems very heavily econ-based. Does he still do the standard issue-spotters, or does he throw in some policy where it would be wise to make arguments backed up by some economic theory? His class seems way different than any of the other law school classes

MC Southstar

Postby MC Southstar » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:41 am

dabomb75 wrote:
tipler4213 wrote:Any thoughts on Parchomovsky (Property), Klick (Torts), Struve (Civ Pro), Safane (LW), Glickman (LW-yearlong), or Kraus (Contracts)?

I'm mostly curious about Klick since he seems very heavily econ-based. Does he still do the standard issue-spotters, or does he throw in some policy where it would be wise to make arguments backed up by some economic theory? His class seems way different than any of the other law school classes

I completely clicked with all my professors with econ backgrounds or who are econ minded. It's not that uncommon. You should look at past exams and ask the professor directly. However, most professors don't like to talk about the exam until exam preparations generally begin.

dabomb75

Postby dabomb75 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:45 pm

MC Southstar wrote:
dabomb75 wrote:

I completely clicked with all my professors with econ backgrounds or who are econ minded. It's not that uncommon. You should look at past exams and ask the professor directly. However, most professors don't like to talk about the exam until exam preparations generally begin.

I actually really like the econ-mindedness myself. I like the way he approaches torts in a very empirical sort of way. I was just curious if he'd have a completely different style of test as well. I guess I'll try and get a couple of past exams and see

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:09 pm

[quote="dabomb75"I have this as well except I have Wolff for Civ Pro instead of Struve.[/quote]

Rudolph

Postby Rudolph » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:28 am

Sorry if this question has already been answered, but from my understanding, many law schools allow students to apply a small number of credits worth of non-law graduate coursework toward their JD. Is this the case at Penn? (ie. would it be possible for a law student to take a class or two at Wharton without being accepted into their MBA program?)

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:34 am

Rudolph wrote:Sorry if this question has already been answered, but from my understanding, many law schools allow students to apply a small number of credits worth of non-law graduate coursework toward their JD. Is this the case at Penn? (ie. would it be possible for a law student to take a class or two at Wharton without being accepted into their MBA program?)

Can take up to 4 classes outside of law school for credit (as long as they are in some way related to your legal education). If you do all 4 in certain Wharton classes, you can get the certificate in business and public policy.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:52 pm

Veyron wrote:
Rudolph wrote:Sorry if this question has already been answered, but from my understanding, many law schools allow students to apply a small number of credits worth of non-law graduate coursework toward their JD. Is this the case at Penn? (ie. would it be possible for a law student to take a class or two at Wharton without being accepted into their MBA program?)

Can take up to 4 classes outside of law school for credit (as long as they are in some way related to your legal education). If you do all 4 in certain Wharton classes, you can get the certificate in business and public policy.

I thought Wharton cert only takes 3 BPUB classes. They will liberally count 4 classes. And many other school (most) at Penn will liberally take 4 law classes. You can also take more than 4, on your own expense, and won't be able to transfer in more than 4.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:11 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Veyron wrote:

I thought Wharton cert only takes 3 BPUB classes. They will liberally count 4 classes. And many other school (most) at Penn will liberally take 4 law classes. You can also take more than 4, on your own expense, and won't be able to transfer in more than 4.

1 straight up law class counts towards the Wharton cert if thats what you mean. I guess I should have made that more clear.

kweehunt

Postby kweehunt » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:38 pm

I know this question has probably been asked a million times before, but I hope you don't mind answering it again. Penn has been at the top of my target law schools for a very long time. I am an undergrad junior right now, getting ready to take the December LSAT. Is there anything I can do (other than a great LSAT Score) to improve my chances for admission (in 2013)?

Thanks

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:10 am

kweehunt wrote:I know this question has probably been asked a million times before, but I hope you don't mind answering it again. Penn has been at the top of my target law schools for a very long time. I am an undergrad junior right now, getting ready to take the December LSAT. Is there anything I can do (other than a great LSAT Score) to improve my chances for admission (in 2013)?

Thanks

Great GPA. Great work experience.

RonnyDworkin

Postby RonnyDworkin » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:53 pm

Can any Penn students comment on different social events/activities at Penn?

Does Penn has bar reviews? Auctions (like Michigan's SFF auctions)? Barrister's Balls?

What are some well known social events/traditions at the law school?

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:02 pm

RonnyDworkin wrote:Can any Penn students comment on different social events/activities at Penn?

Does Penn has bar reviews? Yes Auctions (like Michigan's SFF auctions) Yes (EJF)? Barrister's Balls Yes?

What are some well known social events/traditions at the law school? Barrister's Ball, Fling (especially for those who were Penn UGs or know Penn UGs

Georgiana

Postby Georgiana » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:13 pm

Veyron wrote:
RonnyDworkin wrote:Can any Penn students comment on different social events/activities at Penn?

Does Penn has bar reviews? Yes Auctions (like Michigan's SFF auctions) Yes (EJF)? Barrister's Balls Yes?

What are some well known social events/traditions at the law school? Barrister's Ball, Fling (especially for those who were Penn UGs or know Penn UGs

There's also the % parties and the tradition of going to lunch with professors as 1Ls... or at least first semester when it seems like the thing you're supposed to do :)

And there's prom... no idea what it's like... but people who like things like proms seemed to have a good time.

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:47 pm

Does Penn has bar reviews? Auctions (like Michigan's SFF auctions)? Barrister's Balls?

Thursday nights at the bar on 45th & Locust they have live old-style country plus the best bourbon list in the city of Philadelphia.

Not remotely a law school tradition, but probably should be.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:21 pm

johnnyutah wrote:

Thursday nights at the bar on 45th & Locust they have live old-style country plus the best bourbon list in the city of Philadelphia.

How in the hell did I not know this?

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:58 pm

Veyron wrote:
johnnyutah wrote:

The bar doesn't have a sign. It's called "Fiume," and it's a tiny one room joint upstairs from the Ethiopian restaurant. The bar can be annoyingly hipsterish sometimes, but you can't be mad at the bourbon list, the live music, or the cheap ass specials.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:38 pm

johnnyutah wrote:
Veyron wrote:
johnnyutah wrote:

The bar doesn't have a sign. It's called "Fiume," and it's a tiny one room joint upstairs from the Ethiopian restaurant. The bar can be annoyingly hipsterish sometimes, but you can't be mad at the bourbon list, the live music, or the cheap ass specials.

Ok, I feel better now.

violaboy

Postby violaboy » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:53 pm

johnnyutah wrote:
Veyron wrote:
johnnyutah wrote:

Wow, I live a block away and didn't realize that anything was even there.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:38 am

violaboy wrote:
Wow, I live a block away and didn't realize that anything was even there.

Not hip enough. :)

RonnyDworkin

Postby RonnyDworkin » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:14 am

Thanks for all the suggestions guys!!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”