Penn Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
iusedtolurk

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby iusedtolurk » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:02 pm

When have students gotten their section assignments in the past? Like the weekend before, the first day of orientation....? Thanks!

Georgiana

Postby Georgiana » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:35 pm

iusedtolurk wrote:When have students gotten their section assignments in the past? Like the weekend before, the first day of orientation....? Thanks!

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=52226&p=1889410&hilit=section+orientation#p1889410

(I posted the link not bc I was trying to be all "zomg you should have searched" but bc I didn't know the days anymore and searching was easier for me)

MC Southstar

Postby MC Southstar » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:58 pm

marija wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
underachiever wrote:

Nothing is 'necessary' but I would go to as many things as I could, the events really are great for bonding and making early 1L friends.

Did you guys find out your section and cohort assignments before the official orientation? There are social events the weekend before, and it would be great to get to know the people you will be having class together.

Yes, and that will be the first or second question you ask every single person you meet at those social events.

Meeting other people before classes start might be the best way to break out of your section later on. I know people who felt a bit trapped in their section, but that's their own fault.

cesmoc

Postby cesmoc » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:09 pm

I just got my section and class schedule today! Does anyone have any advice for the following profs:
Civ pro- Wax
Torts- Allen
Contracts- Bagchi
Property- Balganesh
LRW- Kringel

Thanks a lot guys, this thread has been way helpful.

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:07 pm

cesmoc wrote:I just got my section and class schedule today! Does anyone have any advice for the following profs:
Civ pro- Wax
Torts- Allen
Contracts- Bagchi
Property- Balganesh
LRW- Kringel

I had Wax for Remedies. Seemed like a pretty standard Socratic class with a standard issue-spotter final. I heard she likes to beat up on 1Ls to scare them, though.

cherry17

Postby cherry17 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:28 pm

Hey guys, I just have a question about operating systems. The technology site says to avoid Home, Home Premium, and some other editions of windows because they don't work with network printing. My laptop has Windows 7 Home (or Home Premium, I'm not sure, but either way the site says to avoid it), and I was wondering whether or not you think I need to get one of the ones that work with network printing? Wouldn't I be able to just put the things I need to print onto a flashdrive and print from one of the Penn computers, or is this really inconvenient? Any input would be appreciated, since I really don't have the money to buy a whole new windows package. Thanks!

TLSNYC

Postby TLSNYC » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:59 am

johnnyutah wrote:
cesmoc wrote:I just got my section and class schedule today! Does anyone have any advice for the following profs:
Civ pro- Wax
Torts- Allen
Contracts- Bagchi
Property- Balganesh
LRW- Kringel

I had Wax for Remedies. Seemed like a pretty standard Socratic class with a standard issue-spotter final. I heard she likes to beat up on 1Ls to scare them, though.

Just another question - how exactly do we know what supplements to get for these professors and classes? Is it based on the books they assign or do we ask their former students?

anthonyc7599

Postby anthonyc7599 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:06 am

TLSNYC wrote:
johnnyutah wrote:
Civ pro- Wax
Torts- Allen
Contracts- Bagchi
Property- Balganesh
LRW- Kringel

Just another question - how exactly do we know what supplements to get for these professors and classes? Is it based on the books they assign or do we ask their former students?

Some professors will list the recommended supplements on the course portal page. Others you can just ask on the first day of class. If they don't answer just ask someone that has taken that professor before.

anthonyc7599

Postby anthonyc7599 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:13 am

cherry17 wrote:Hey guys, I just have a question about operating systems. The technology site says to avoid Home, Home Premium, and some other editions of windows because they don't work with network printing. My laptop has Windows 7 Home (or Home Premium, I'm not sure, but either way the site says to avoid it), and I was wondering whether or not you think I need to get one of the ones that work with network printing? Wouldn't I be able to just put the things I need to print onto a flashdrive and print from one of the Penn computers, or is this really inconvenient? Any input would be appreciated, since I really don't have the money to buy a whole new windows package. Thanks!

Yes you can just email things to yourself and print or use a thumbdrive and print and you will be just fine. There are plenty of computers throughout the school to print from. I use Vista and have to reinstall the network printer everytime, this may not be an issue with 7. The only concern that you should have is to make sure the exam software works on your computer, but you have a long time before this is a real concern.

MC Southstar

Postby MC Southstar » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:46 am

cherry17 wrote:Hey guys, I just have a question about operating systems. The technology site says to avoid Home, Home Premium, and some other editions of windows because they don't work with network printing. My laptop has Windows 7 Home (or Home Premium, I'm not sure, but either way the site says to avoid it), and I was wondering whether or not you think I need to get one of the ones that work with network printing? Wouldn't I be able to just put the things I need to print onto a flashdrive and print from one of the Penn computers, or is this really inconvenient? Any input would be appreciated, since I really don't have the money to buy a whole new windows package. Thanks!

I've never had an issue, I used windows 7 home premium.

marija

Postby marija » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:27 am

Civ pro- Wax
Torts- Allen
Contracts- Bagchi
Property- Balganesh
LRW- Kringel

Had Wax and Balganesh last year. People will tell you horror story after horror story about Wax, and while she is the most intimidating professor I've ever had, she was also my favorite 1L prof. Be prepared for class, and be prepared for her to scare you. Otherwise, just enjoy it.

Balganesh is an Oxford/Yale-educated guy, absolutely brilliant, very straight-laced, but he also has a very quirky, surprising sense of humor. He cold-calls people once per semester, for one case, and he grills you for about 30-45 minutes about the minutiae of that case (assuming he hasn't changed since last year). Get yours out of the way early and you're golden. Otherwise you spend all semester stressing about that class (although presumably you're more comfortable with the material that way).

Balganesh's cold-calls were actually a little scarier than Wax's, but there's only one, so once you get it out of the way it's gravy. They're both fantastic professors, and you will learn a lot from them.

marija

Postby marija » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:30 am

One more thing about Wax: try and get your hands on the Wax verbatim. It's an online from an overaggressive student a few years back that essentially wrote down every single word Wax said over the course of the semester. It's a great way to keep track of what's going on (she moves at a fast pace sometime) and can help you through cold-calls where you're absolutely flustered. It's slightly out of date because it hasn't been updated since the original, but it's still worth getting.

CCA

Postby CCA » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:14 am

Wax was the best of my professors so far. She moves fast and you will learn a lot in her class. The cold calling is fine - she is very respectful as long as you come prepared and pay attention.

I didn't care for Bagchi - she tended to be philosophical and spoke too quickly. I didn't have her for contracts.

It doesn't really matter who your legal writing professor is. Most meetings are with the 3L instructor and the lectures are very basic.

cesmoc

Postby cesmoc » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:21 am

Thanks for all the replies guys! I really appreciate it!

Would any of you be willing to sell me any supplements you thought helped you in these classes?

marija

Postby marija » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:53 am

cesmoc wrote:Thanks for all the replies guys! I really appreciate it!

Would any of you be willing to sell me any supplements you thought helped you in these classes?

I've got the Glannon Civ Pro supp (which is excellent). Also think I have the fed courts primer she wants you to buy. Don't have anything for Property. Send me a PM.

tipler4213

Postby tipler4213 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:13 pm

Any thoughts on Parchomovsky (Property), Klick (Torts), Struve (Civ Pro), Safane (LW), Glickman (LW-yearlong), or Kraus (Contracts)?

MC Southstar

Postby MC Southstar » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:28 pm

tipler4213 wrote:Any thoughts on Parchomovsky (Property), Klick (Torts), Struve (Civ Pro), Safane (LW), Glickman (LW-yearlong), or Kraus (Contracts)?

PARCHO IS THE SHIT.

Struve is the sweetest, as is Glickman.

anthonyc7599

Postby anthonyc7599 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:13 am

tipler4213 wrote:Any thoughts on Parchomovsky (Property), Klick (Torts), Struve (Civ Pro), Safane (LW), Glickman (LW-yearlong), or Kraus (Contracts)?

Get Glannon Civ Pro supp for Struve. She is awesome.

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:27 am

Had Struve for Fed Courts. She's super smart, and slyly funny if you pay attention.

CCA

Postby CCA » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:48 pm

Klick is very laid back - there is no cold calling or pressure. For his class, I recommend reading outside hornbooks/supplements rather than focusing on the assigned readings. I typically read the assignments in the syllabus and nothing else (which has been fine for me in most classes), but this was a mistake with Klick. He is also very into economics, which is not one of my strong points either. I didn't find him to be the most interesting professor, but others really liked him.

czelede

Postby czelede » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:52 pm

Last edited by czelede on Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:30 am

What's the general impression on this year's OCI? How's the job marketing looking?

Wholigan

Postby Wholigan » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:56 am

r6_philly wrote:What's the general impression on this year's OCI? How's the job marketing looking?

This is my own impression, but I got the sense that many got more screeners and callbacks than would have been expected for someone similarly situated in the past couple of years. Are you looking at Philly?

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:47 am

r6_philly wrote:What's the general impression on this year's OCI? How's the job marketing looking?

Anecdotal evidence suggests that rising 2Ls have been getting wayyyyyyyy more interviews and callbacks than my year did, at least.

LAguy

Postby LAguy » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:58 am

johnnyutah wrote:
czelede wrote:Kind of a silly question, but - can anyone speak to how important the orientation/pre-orientation events (the non required ones) are? Are they attended by the majority of the incoming class? I ask because I realized that I may have several scheduling conflicts, particularly during the weekends, and I'm just trying to gauge how much I would be missing, especially with regards to class bonding and etc.

It's been three and a half years, but from what I remember, they were not important at all, but most people did go to them.

I disagree with the poster above. IMO the orientation events are very important for getting to know your peers, especially those outside your section. That said, only a few uber-zealous people went to every event i.e. the zoo tour and rocky run. Though I didn't go to these, there are several people who are close now because they "spent all day together at the zoo".

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”