Penn Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
kurla88

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby kurla88 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:42 pm

Georgiana wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Georgiana wrote:
onepass wrote:If you recieve need based grants, can they be renewed in full for the second and third years?

Penn generally gives a full 3 year plan for financial aid so whatever it says in your letter is what you get. Scholarships generally remain the same for the 3 years and grants tend to decrease each year.

What options are there to gain more aid such as fellowships and TA position in the law school? I suppose summer positions are supposed to supplement the income, but are there good options within school for 2L/3L year? I'd have to work part-time outside of school to offset some of the escalating cost. Do you know people who worked as part-time clerks?

I know one person who did work with a small firm in Philly and was paid pretty well for his time. Legal writing instructors make some money but not a ton. Working as an RA for a prof will usually pay about $10/hr. I also know someone who continued doing a little work on the side for his prior company which worked out well for him.

There's lots of law clerk jobs available (with varying pay) once you're a 2L or 3L. If you're willing to put in the time, you can make enough for groceries.

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:44 pm

ghog wrote:the room is also surprisingly cheap ($800/month).

QF New Yorker.

Sherwood2014

Postby Sherwood2014 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:49 pm

Since I will be a late arrival (as in the last week of August) I was interested in how far from Law School students lived from campus. In my case I will likely camp out in a hotel for the first week, or so. I have only been to Philly briefly and I did check out a few possibilities, the places I liked best were a good 15-20 minutes away. Not sure if living in an outlying area is a good move or not. . . .just checking to see the lay of the land. And most interested in UPenn law students opinion in particular.

http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=162646&view=viewpoll

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:20 pm

Sherwood2014 wrote:Since I will be a late arrival (as in the last week of August) I was interested in how far from Law School students lived from campus. In my case I will likely camp out in a hotel for the first week, or so. I have only been to Philly briefly and I did check out a few possibilities, the places I liked best were a good 15-20 minutes away. Not sure if living in an outlying area is a good move or not. . . .just checking to see the lay of the land. And most interested in UPenn law students opinion in particular.

http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=162646&view=viewpoll

What areas appeal to you?

Sherwood2014

Postby Sherwood2014 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:39 pm

Geographically, there is little I can say of much help other than I am open to a twenty-minute car drive and possibly the concept of public transportation. The couple of places I saw on my brief visit were roughly 12 miles from UPenn. I figure after a week of classes I might have a handle on this. In the meantime, I wanted to get a feel of what challenges might exist by not living within a stone’s throw of the law school.

Optimistically, there are places within the 15 mile inner circle of the map below that would work, if not, then plan B is looking 20 miles out and plan C is perhaps Delaware (mapped as a 40 minute 28 mile drive. . . how realistic that plan is, no idea).

--ImageRemoved--

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:11 am

It will generally take you about 45 minutes to get to school from the edge of your inner circle. I live within 1/3 of the radius of your inner circle and it takes me 15-20 minutes to drive to school.

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:22 am

Sherwood2014 wrote:Geographically, there is little I can say of much help other than I am open to a twenty-minute car drive and possibly the concept of public transportation. The couple of places I saw on my brief visit were roughly 12 miles from UPenn. I figure after a week of classes I might have a handle on this. In the meantime, I wanted to get a feel of what challenges might exist by not living within a stone’s throw of the law school.

Optimistically, there are places within the 15 mile inner circle of the map below that would work, if not, then plan B is looking 20 miles out and plan C is perhaps Delaware (mapped as a 40 minute 28 mile drive. . . how realistic that plan is, no idea).

--ImageRemoved--

Why not just live by school?

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:27 am

johnnyutah wrote:
Sherwood2014 wrote:Geographically, there is little I can say of much help other than I am open to a twenty-minute car drive and possibly the concept of public transportation. The couple of places I saw on my brief visit were roughly 12 miles from UPenn. I figure after a week of classes I might have a handle on this. In the meantime, I wanted to get a feel of what challenges might exist by not living within a stone’s throw of the law school.

--ImageRemoved--

Why not just live by school?

This, although if you're looking to save money and the more affordable parts of West Philly don't really appeal to you, you could always commute in from Manayunk/Roxborough. What makes you averse to living close to campus? Do you have a family?

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:32 am

r6_philly wrote:It will generally take you about 45 minutes to get to school from the edge of your inner circle. I live within 1/3 of the radius of your inner circle and it takes me 15-20 minutes to drive to school.

QF Philly traffic sucking a gigantic nut.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:35 am

Veyron wrote:
r6_philly wrote:It will generally take you about 45 minutes to get to school from the edge of your inner circle. I live within 1/3 of the radius of your inner circle and it takes me 15-20 minutes to drive to school.

QF Philly traffic sucking a gigantic nut.

Not everybody has the luxury of living in what is effectively a giant, sprawling mess of a suburb. cough cough, Phoenix, cough cough

Sherwood2014

Postby Sherwood2014 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:09 am

HeavenWood wrote:- - - you could always commute in from Manayunk/Roxborough. What makes you averse to living close to campus? Do you have a family?

Married and she is expecting around Thanksgiving. After the birth her mom will likely stay over for a few weeks, so our initial thought is a rental home.

Manayunk/Roxborough looks ideal (thanks), will check the net to see what is available. Also, today someone mentioned that living in Jersey might work. . . any thoughts about that option is appreciated. To an earlier poster, if we can find a good deal closer to school, that would be perfect. Thanks all.

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:24 am

Sherwood2014 wrote:Manayunk/Roxborough looks ideal (thanks), will check the net to see what is available. Also, today someone mentioned that living in Jersey might work. . . any thoughts about that option is appreciated. To an earlier poster, if we can find a good deal closer to school, that would be perfect. Thanks all.

Don't bother with Jersey. Manayunk will work, but check out University City/West Philadelphia between 40th and 48th street east-west and Baltimore Ave. and Walnut Street north-south.

And congrats on your new family member.

violaboy

Postby violaboy » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:16 am

johnnyutah wrote:
Sherwood2014 wrote:Manayunk/Roxborough looks ideal (thanks), will check the net to see what is available. Also, today someone mentioned that living in Jersey might work. . . any thoughts about that option is appreciated. To an earlier poster, if we can find a good deal closer to school, that would be perfect. Thanks all.

Don't bother with Jersey. Manayunk will work, but check out University City/West Philadelphia between 40th and 48th street east-west and Baltimore Ave. and Walnut Street north-south.

And congrats on your new family member.

I'm going to be living in University City in that area, and I saw tons of families and the like. It definitely has a city feeling, so if you don't want that, definitely look elsewhere. Good luck!

Sherwood2014

Postby Sherwood2014 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:20 pm

I imagine everyone has seen the recent National TV stories about the Philadelphia “flash mobs.” Since I have not seen anything posted here about the story, I checked the Philadelphia Daily News. . . .the city continued its fight against "flash mobs" of violent youths that have plagued the city for the past two years. The curfew will apply to anyone under 18 in the Center City and University City areas of Philadelphia.

Anything anyone care to add? Thanks.

xokel87

Postby xokel87 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:41 pm

Last edited by xokel87 on Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

czelede

Postby czelede » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:53 pm

Kind of a silly question, but - can anyone speak to how important the orientation/pre-orientation events (the non required ones) are? Are they attended by the majority of the incoming class? I ask because I realized that I may have several scheduling conflicts, particularly during the weekends, and I'm just trying to gauge how much I would be missing, especially with regards to class bonding and etc.

run26.2

Postby run26.2 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:46 pm

Sherwood2014 wrote:I imagine everyone has seen the recent National TV stories about the Philadelphia “flash mobs.” Since I have not seen anything posted here about the story, I checked the Philadelphia Daily News. . . .the city continued its fight against "flash mobs" of violent youths that have plagued the city for the past two years. The curfew will apply to anyone under 18 in the Center City and University City areas of Philadelphia.

If you really don't mind the drive, Manayunk is great. I am married and live there. The perks I see are that it is safer, less congested, you can have a car more easily, and it is a bit cheaper.

The major downside is commuting. My wife takes public transportation, and her commute is the same every day, but it is long. It takes her 1 hour door to door (30 minutes walking, 30 minutes on the train). I drive, and the commute varies from 18 minutes to 1 hour, depending on the time of day. Rush hour is the worst, but sometimes 76 gets backed up even in the middle of the day and it can take 30-40 minutes to get in.

PM me if you want more details.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:00 pm

run26.2 wrote:If you really don't mind the drive, Manayunk is great. I am married and live there. The perks I see are that it is safer, less congested, you can have a car more easily, and it is a bit cheaper.

The major downside is commuting. My wife takes public transportation, and her commute is the same every day, but it is long. It takes her 1 hour door to door (30 minutes walking, 30 minutes on the train). I drive, and the commute varies from 18 minutes to 1 hour, depending on the time of day. Rush hour is the worst, but sometimes 76 gets backed up even in the middle of the day and it can take 30-40 minutes to get in.

It's almost better just to stick to Belmont Ave all the way to Manayunk, it's predictably 30 minutes. But the lure of the expressway is strong lol

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:20 pm

Sherwood2014 wrote:I imagine everyone has seen the recent National TV stories about the Philadelphia “flash mobs.” Since I have not seen anything posted here about the story, I checked the Philadelphia Daily News. . . .the city continued its fight against "flash mobs" of violent youths that have plagued the city for the past two years. The curfew will apply to anyone under 18 in the Center City and University City areas of Philadelphia.

It's a city. Any time you put millions of people in the same place, some of them are going to jack others. I walk around Center City, West Philly and Mantua at all hours of the day and night, and no one has ever seriously bothered me, and I have never felt unsafe (well, other than the one time I accidentally took the 10 Trolley out to, like, 54th & Lansdowne, and had to walk home at 1 AM...).

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:21 pm

czelede wrote:Kind of a silly question, but - can anyone speak to how important the orientation/pre-orientation events (the non required ones) are? Are they attended by the majority of the incoming class? I ask because I realized that I may have several scheduling conflicts, particularly during the weekends, and I'm just trying to gauge how much I would be missing, especially with regards to class bonding and etc.

It's been three and a half years, but from what I remember, they were not important at all, but most people did go to them.

run26.2

Postby run26.2 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:30 pm

r6_philly wrote:
run26.2 wrote:If you really don't mind the drive, Manayunk is great. I am married and live there. The perks I see are that it is safer, less congested, you can have a car more easily, and it is a bit cheaper.

It's almost better just to stick to Belmont Ave all the way to Manayunk, it's predictably 30 minutes. But the lure of the expressway is strong lol

I agree that the lure is strong.

Generally, though, when I skip the expressway, I go down Main to Falls Bridge and cross it. I stay on River Drive down to the Girard Exit and then just cruise on 34th all the way down. I would say this is actually slightly under 30 minutes and fairly dependable.

If there's one thing I hate, it is being stuck in bumper to bumper traffic, and I'll take longer to get to my destination to avoid it. It's just that you never know at 11 AM if 76 is going to be that way...

marija

Postby marija » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:39 pm

czelede wrote:Kind of a silly question, but - can anyone speak to how important the orientation/pre-orientation events (the non required ones) are? Are they attended by the majority of the incoming class? I ask because I realized that I may have several scheduling conflicts, particularly during the weekends, and I'm just trying to gauge how much I would be missing, especially with regards to class bonding and etc.

The vast majority of events that you will be "required" or "encouraged" to attend throughout 1L are not important. That said, you should still probably go to them.

underachiever

Postby underachiever » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:26 am

marija wrote:

The vast majority of events that you will be "required" or "encouraged" to attend throughout 1L are not important. That said, you should still probably go to them.

Nothing is 'necessary' but I would go to as many things as I could, the events really are great for bonding and making early 1L friends.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:26 pm

underachiever wrote:

Nothing is 'necessary' but I would go to as many things as I could, the events really are great for bonding and making early 1L friends.

Did you guys find out your section and cohort assignments before the official orientation? There are social events the weekend before, and it would be great to get to know the people you will be having class together.

marija

Postby marija » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:25 am

r6_philly wrote:
underachiever wrote:

Did you guys find out your section and cohort assignments before the official orientation? There are social events the weekend before, and it would be great to get to know the people you will be having class together.

Yes, and that will be the first or second question you ask every single person you meet at those social events.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”