Penn Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
absolutazn87

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby absolutazn87 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:46 am

supahstahxruv wrote:does anyone have any suggestions for internet? it looks like only verizon and comcast offer service in the area, i would rather stick to verizon just because their basic service is cheaper, but does anyone know if it is too slow?

I know my future building has Verizon FIOS which is RIDICULOUSLY fast, at least here in NYC. I get 25Mbps/25Mbps download and upload respectively here in NYC. For some unknown crazy reason, they seem to throttle it in Philly to a slower speed but it's still miles ahead of what Comcast offers.

tipler4213

Postby tipler4213 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:21 am

absolutazn87 wrote:
supahstahxruv wrote:does anyone have any suggestions for internet? it looks like only verizon and comcast offer service in the area, i would rather stick to verizon just because their basic service is cheaper, but does anyone know if it is too slow?

I know my future building has Verizon FIOS which is RIDICULOUSLY fast, at least here in NYC. I get 25Mbps/25Mbps download and upload respectively here in NYC. For some unknown crazy reason, they seem to throttle it in Philly to a slower speed but it's still miles ahead of what Comcast offers.

2400? Yeah, I am going with FIOS even though it is more expensive. The Comcast customer service was abysmal while I was trying to set it up. I'll pay $8 more to feel better about not losing the internet during finals month.

irishman8062

Postby irishman8062 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:51 pm

For future reference by new 1Ls and such, journals called their new members this morning, 7/23/11.

marija

Postby marija » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:10 pm

irishman8062 wrote:For future reference by new 1Ls and such, journals called their new members this morning, 7/23/11.

They sure did, although I'm not really sure why that matters to 0Ls.

irishman8062

Postby irishman8062 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:20 pm

marija wrote: They sure did, although I'm not really sure why that matters to 0Ls.

Oh, I just know that I had checked this thread to try to figure out when they called last year. Figured the info couldn't hurt!

Georgiana

Postby Georgiana » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:52 pm

Woo journal...

I shall miss blue-booking... I shall not miss journal politics :)

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:11 pm

irishman8062 wrote:
marija wrote: They sure did, although I'm not really sure why that matters to 0Ls.

Oh, I just know that I had checked this thread to try to figure out when they called last year. Figured the info couldn't hurt!

Thanks guys for letting me know what journal I'm on after I've already sent out a bunch of resumes. :roll:

iusedtolurk

Postby iusedtolurk » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:58 pm

When do we get a book list? I ask because books are 'spensive and I'd like to find some cheaper than bookstore prices, if possible...

freestallion

Postby freestallion » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:07 pm

Hi everyone! I haven't been able to read through all the pages so am not sure if this has been covered yet, but I am considering applying to penn this fall and am pretty much set on doing public interest. Are there good public interest opportunities? I've heard Penn leans towards the corporate but would there be enough support for someone doing public interest re: summer internship funding, post-grad fellowships, etc?

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:23 pm

freestallion wrote:Hi everyone! I haven't been able to read through all the pages so am not sure if this has been covered yet, but I am considering applying to penn this fall and am pretty much set on doing public interest. Are there good public interest opportunities? I've heard Penn leans towards the corporate but would there be enough support for someone doing public interest re: summer internship funding, post-grad fellowships, etc?

Of course there are. In my experience, there are actually lots of benefits available as long as you are willing to drag them out of the school by main force.

freestallion

Postby freestallion » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:06 pm

Veyron wrote:
freestallion wrote:Hi everyone! I haven't been able to read through all the pages so am not sure if this has been covered yet, but I am considering applying to penn this fall and am pretty much set on doing public interest. Are there good public interest opportunities? I've heard Penn leans towards the corporate but would there be enough support for someone doing public interest re: summer internship funding, post-grad fellowships, etc?

Of course there are. In my experience, there are actually lots of benefits available as long as you are willing to drag them out of the school by main force.

Thanks. Ideally, it would be nice to be in an atmosphere where PI is supported, rather than having to drag such opportunities out of my school. Is summer funding for PI internships guaranteed, or easily available?

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:59 pm

freestallion wrote:
Veyron wrote:

Thanks. Ideally, it would be nice to be in an atmosphere where PI is supported, rather than having to drag such opportunities out of my school. Is summer funding for PI internships guaranteed, or easily available?

It is technically neither (although everyone gets funding who does PI). However, play your cards right and it can be some of the most generous in the country. This is what I mean by the benefits of going to a school that has lots of funding for PI but less interest, you have a better shot at getting lots of cash and support thrown your way than at a PI centric school where you have tons of competition. I'm doing PI this summer and between the school and my stipend I'm quite comfortable but did I ever have to wail and gnash my teeth to get what I wanted.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:02 pm

Veyron wrote:
freestallion wrote:
Veyron wrote:

It is technically neither (although everyone gets funding who does PI). However, play your cards right and it can be some of the most generous in the country. This is what I mean by the benefits of going to a school that has lots of funding for PI but less interest, you have a better shot at getting lots of cash and support thrown your way than at a PI centric school where you have tons of competition. I'm doing PI this summer and between the school and my stipend I'm quite comfortable but did I ever have to wail and gnash my teeth to get what I wanted.

I'm envisioning you wailing and gnashing your teeth. The mental image is quite entertaining.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:43 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
I'm envisioning you wailing and gnashing your teeth. The mental image is quite entertaining.

A real man is not afraid to cry when money is on the line

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:18 pm

Veyron wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:

A real man is not afraid to cry when money is on the line

Troof.

ghog

Postby ghog » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:49 am

my friend was going to penn law- just got off the waitlist to nyu and now has a room he needs to sublet. he's living with two penn (undergrad) alums who are both working and very easy going and just looking for someone friendly. the apartment is really nice and in a great location. the room is also surprisingly cheap ($800/month). if anyone's looking for an apt, PM me and I can give you more details and pictures.

OutCold

Postby OutCold » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:54 pm

He should post it to the Facebook group.

silly101

Postby silly101 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:38 am

do we need a printer? is there a place we can print on campus if needed (and cost)?

laser printer or inkjet? should it have copy/scan capabilities?
i dont anticipate ever needing color...right?

thanks!

kurla88

Postby kurla88 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:09 am

silly101 wrote:do we need a printer? is there a place we can print on campus if needed (and cost)?

thanks!

The school gives you $100 something worth of printing per semester (that doesn't carry over :() and there's 5-7 printers around the school you can use... I usually use very little of it. Some people get really intense about reading notes and print them off for class everyday, and some professors assign some supplementary material now and then, but you really shouldn't need to print too much.

I do have a basic inkjet printer/copier/scanner at home for emergencies. You might want one to do mail merge on for your 1L job search. I'm sure you could do it at school, but a little harder to mess with all the settings and print on envelopes and whatnot.

Georgiana

Postby Georgiana » Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:23 pm

silly101 wrote:do we need a printer? is there a place we can print on campus if needed (and cost)?

thanks!

You get about $120 printing credit per semester at the law school which lasts most people the whole semester (the only thing that can require a lot of printing is legal writing). I bought a laser printer for my apartment and I used it fairly regularly, especially after the first year.

Also, the lexis/westlaw printing is all free at school.

underachiever

Postby underachiever » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:39 pm

thanks!

I never got one, just did my printing at school with the credit and always had at least 20 dollars worth of print credits left at the end of a semester.

onepass

Postby onepass » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:41 am

If you recieve need based grants, can they be renewed in full for the second and third years?

Georgiana

Postby Georgiana » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:10 am

onepass wrote:If you recieve need based grants, can they be renewed in full for the second and third years?

Penn generally gives a full 3 year plan for financial aid so whatever it says in your letter is what you get. Scholarships generally remain the same for the 3 years and grants tend to decrease each year.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:26 am

Georgiana wrote:
onepass wrote:If you recieve need based grants, can they be renewed in full for the second and third years?

Penn generally gives a full 3 year plan for financial aid so whatever it says in your letter is what you get. Scholarships generally remain the same for the 3 years and grants tend to decrease each year.

What options are there to gain more aid such as fellowships and TA position in the law school? I suppose summer positions are supposed to supplement the income, but are there good options within school for 2L/3L year? I'd have to work part-time outside of school to offset some of the escalating cost. Do you know people who worked as part-time clerks?

Georgiana

Postby Georgiana » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:31 am

r6_philly wrote:
Georgiana wrote:

What options are there to gain more aid such as fellowships and TA position in the law school? I suppose summer positions are supposed to supplement the income, but are there good options within school for 2L/3L year? I'd have to work part-time outside of school to offset some of the escalating cost. Do you know people who worked as part-time clerks?

I know one person who did work with a small firm in Philly and was paid pretty well for his time. Legal writing instructors make some money but not a ton. Working as an RA for a prof will usually pay about $10/hr. I also know someone who continued doing a little work on the side for his prior company which worked out well for him.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”