Penn Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby Veyron » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:38 pm

Georgiana wrote:
Veyron wrote:Anyone know what the optimal bid strategy is for a medianish kid?

What city (or cities)?


NYC.

run26.2
Posts: 896
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:35 am

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby run26.2 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:57 pm

Georgiana wrote:
mrm2083 wrote:Do you guys have any suggestions for easy upper level classes? They don't necessarily need to be classes that have A curves, just ones where you can get a B+ or even a B without worrying about it.

I'm not ignoring this Q, I swear... I just don't really have a recommendation.

I guess I would say:
1) Int'l business transactions with Mooney has a surprisingly high curve and sounds like a legit class (I did much better than I expected I would).
2) Paper classes tend to promise a B+ so long as you write a paper that conforms with the requirements.
3) Avoid classes like corps and evidence.
4) Take a clinic (assuming you don't mind doing work I haven't heard of people getting less than an A-).
5) Externships are pass fail and a lot of credits.
6) Take Wharton classes.

If I think of other things I'll share...

Agree regarding the paper classes, assuming you mean seminars.
Disagree regarding the Wharton classes. A few people had really bad experiences in them last semester. They may be too much of a crapshoot for anyone without a business ugrad degree.

xokel87
Posts: 107
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:22 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby xokel87 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:56 am

when do they tell you whether you made law review and how long is the orientation program each day of that weekend?

hds2388
Posts: 206
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:07 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby hds2388 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:14 am

Do you guys know anything about how transfers do at OCI?

User avatar
Georgiana
Posts: 647
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:42 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby Georgiana » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:33 pm

xokel87 wrote:when do they tell you whether you made law review and how long is the orientation program each day of that weekend?

Was right around July 24th my year.... not sure how long the orientations are but plan for a "full" day (aka 9 to 4 or 5)

User avatar
Georgiana
Posts: 647
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:42 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby Georgiana » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:35 pm

hds2388 wrote:Do you guys know anything about how transfers do at OCI?

I think its hard for them to gauge because firms don't judge them as though their grades are from Penn. I know some that didn't get offers, some that got V50 but were overqualified and traded up after 2L summer, and some that did well the first time around. It's really kind of a crap shoot at least as far as my anecdotal evidence suggests (and boyfriend was a transfer so I hear a bit about transfers).

User avatar
Georgiana
Posts: 647
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:42 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby Georgiana » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:37 pm

run26.2 wrote:Agree regarding the paper classes, assuming you mean seminars.
Disagree regarding the Wharton classes. A few people had really bad experiences in them last semester. They may be too much of a crapshoot for anyone without a business ugrad degree.

They have some sort of professor rating system that I've heard gives you a pretty good idea about what to expect (I never took a wharton class). Several people I know swore by them (and they generally weren't business majors in ugrad). I'm sure it varies by professor and class, so as with everything research is required :)

User avatar
Georgiana
Posts: 647
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:42 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby Georgiana » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:39 pm

Veyron wrote:
Georgiana wrote:
Veyron wrote:Anyone know what the optimal bid strategy is for a medianish kid?

What city (or cities)?


NYC.

I don't have a ton of advice since I didn't bid NYC at all. Best advice I have is bid widely but don't waste bids on GDC/Cravath/other grade whores. I also recommend having Heather Frattone take a look at it, she'll review your grades and give you a good idea about whether you're on the right track (I've heard she can more or less nice/helpful depending on the person but I've always had really good experiences).

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby HeavenWood » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:19 pm

Rumor has it 1L's won't have Friday classes this year? Is there some truth to that? Also, is there any way to check the section schedules ahead of time?

User avatar
Georgiana
Posts: 647
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:42 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby Georgiana » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:35 pm

HeavenWood wrote:Rumor has it 1L's won't have Friday classes this year? Is there some truth to that? Also, is there any way to check the section schedules ahead of time?

Click back to page 56 of this thread :)

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby HeavenWood » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:39 pm

Georgiana wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:Rumor has it 1L's won't have Friday classes this year? Is there some truth to that? Also, is there any way to check the section schedules ahead of time?

Click back to page 56 of this thread :)


Thanks! Sorry for prematurely tl;dr-ing.

TLSNYC
Posts: 509
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:38 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby TLSNYC » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:17 pm

I started flipping through the orientation site and noticed that there a bunch of organizations (way more than I thought) and many of them have 1L reps. Any ideas on how much of a time commitment joining one org is during 1L? And how much would that kind of a time commitment change if you became a 1L rep? I imagine the primary benefit of the groups is networking and social?

User avatar
Wholigan
Posts: 763
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:51 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby Wholigan » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:50 pm

First time posting here. I just got accepted as a transfer and wasn't really expecting it. Very excited about it though! I am plenty familiar with Philly & UC, however not so much with the academics. Sorry if I am rehashing anything which has been covered. Any advice on picking 2L classes? Is it true there is no general curve? Any profs or classes known for being a little more forgiving, grade-wise? I'd like to take a couple of survey/foundation classes, but I don't want to do a killer schedule either. Is it common to do Evidence & Corporations in the same semester, or could that be asking for trouble? I was going to do those at my old school, but now I'm wondering if I should. Thanks!

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby Veyron » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:09 am

Wholigan wrote:First time posting here. I just got accepted as a transfer and wasn't really expecting it. Very excited about it though! I am plenty familiar with Philly & UC, however not so much with the academics. Sorry if I am rehashing anything which has been covered. Any advice on picking 2L classes? Is it true there is no general curve? Any profs or classes known for being a little more forgiving, grade-wise? I'd like to take a couple of survey/foundation classes, but I don't want to do a killer schedule either. Is it common to do Evidence & Corporations in the same semester, or could that be asking for trouble? I was going to do those at my old school, but now I'm wondering if I should. Thanks!



Dude, welcome to the T-14. As long as you land a job at OCI you don't have to worry about it.

User avatar
Wholigan
Posts: 763
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:51 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby Wholigan » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:35 am

Veyron wrote:
Wholigan wrote:First time posting here. I just got accepted as a transfer and wasn't really expecting it. Very excited about it though! I am plenty familiar with Philly & UC, however not so much with the academics. Sorry if I am rehashing anything which has been covered. Any advice on picking 2L classes? Is it true there is no general curve? Any profs or classes known for being a little more forgiving, grade-wise? I'd like to take a couple of survey/foundation classes, but I don't want to do a killer schedule either. Is it common to do Evidence & Corporations in the same semester, or could that be asking for trouble? I was going to do those at my old school, but now I'm wondering if I should. Thanks!



Dude, welcome to the T-14. As long as you land a job at OCI you don't have to worry about it.


Thanks - guess it's hard to kick the habits that brought me here. Plus, it can't hurt to be safe just in case. So, for OCI, do a lot of students bid the Philly firms heavily? I'm most interested in Philly and wondering if it will be hard to get a lot of interviews since there are only about a dozen firms or so.

sonervous88
Posts: 208
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:27 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby sonervous88 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:08 am

Wholigan wrote:
Veyron wrote:
Wholigan wrote:First time posting here. I just got accepted as a transfer and wasn't really expecting it. Very excited about it though! I am plenty familiar with Philly & UC, however not so much with the academics. Sorry if I am rehashing anything which has been covered. Any advice on picking 2L classes? Is it true there is no general curve? Any profs or classes known for being a little more forgiving, grade-wise? I'd like to take a couple of survey/foundation classes, but I don't want to do a killer schedule either. Is it common to do Evidence & Corporations in the same semester, or could that be asking for trouble? I was going to do those at my old school, but now I'm wondering if I should. Thanks!


I'm an incoming student so i have no useful advice but i just wanted to say congrats!!!!


Dude, welcome to the T-14. As long as you land a job at OCI you don't have to worry about it.


Thanks - guess it's hard to kick the habits that brought me here. Plus, it can't hurt to be safe just in case. So, for OCI, do a lot of students bid the Philly firms heavily? I'm most interested in Philly and wondering if it will be hard to get a lot of interviews since there are only about a dozen firms or so.


CONGRATS!
Last edited by sonervous88 on Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

5110
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon May 23, 2011 2:53 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby 5110 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:41 am

Can anybody comment on the carrel situation in the library? I’ve heard 'rumours' about the carrels (in Georgiana’s posts, on Penn’s website, but I’ve never seen a picture and couldn’t visit the library). Any details concerning their numbers, quality, and availability would be greatly appreciated.

(Anybody who posts a picture will have my unending love and devotion… no joke.)

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby Veyron » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:54 am

Wholigan wrote:
Veyron wrote:
Wholigan wrote:First time posting here. I just got accepted as a transfer and wasn't really expecting it. Very excited about it though! I am plenty familiar with Philly & UC, however not so much with the academics. Sorry if I am rehashing anything which has been covered. Any advice on picking 2L classes? Is it true there is no general curve? Any profs or classes known for being a little more forgiving, grade-wise? I'd like to take a couple of survey/foundation classes, but I don't want to do a killer schedule either. Is it common to do Evidence & Corporations in the same semester, or could that be asking for trouble? I was going to do those at my old school, but now I'm wondering if I should. Thanks!



Dude, welcome to the T-14. As long as you land a job at OCI you don't have to worry about it.


Thanks - guess it's hard to kick the habits that brought me here. Plus, it can't hurt to be safe just in case. So, for OCI, do a lot of students bid the Philly firms heavily? I'm most interested in Philly and wondering if it will be hard to get a lot of interviews since there are only about a dozen firms or so.


Suposedly, more kids go to PA than any other state market. That being said, # of firms is not a good metric. Dechart, for instance, had 200 interview slots available for OCI (not all of them Philly, but still). Penn is target school #1 for Philly firms. Better 1 Dechart than a 10 firms with 20 interview slots planning on hiring 1 person each.

johnB86
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:33 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby johnB86 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:45 pm

.
Last edited by johnB86 on Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Wholigan
Posts: 763
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:51 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby Wholigan » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:10 pm

johnB86 wrote:Sorry if this has been asked before. I am a recent transfer admit (and absolutely thrilled to join the c/o 2013). Wondering if anyone can shed some light on neighborhood safety. I am not bringing a vehicle so I will be walking 15-20 mins to and from school, is UC generally safe? I am looking around the 41st-45th street and Walnut area. Thanks in advance.


I am a transfer too, but I'm from Philly. Others may want to add, but I will go with this quote:

r6_philly wrote:The easy guide is, the higher the house's street numbers the lower the price should be I'd not go much farther than 4800 xxx street or 900 S. number street. (in UC)


I would personally not go past around 44th & Walnut. For one thing, that's about a mile, or a bit more, from the law school. Although it might be safe for another couple blocks out, you are not going to want to walk much more than that consistently (at least I wouldn't), and I think it takes the convenience of living in UC away if you are walking 2-3 blocks to the El station, riding down a couple stops, and then walking a block to the law school.

xokel87
Posts: 107
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:22 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby xokel87 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:42 pm

.
Last edited by xokel87 on Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby Veyron » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:23 pm

xokel87 wrote:
Georgiana wrote:
xokel87 wrote:when do they tell you whether you made law review and how long is the orientation program each day of that weekend?

Was right around July 24th my year.... not sure how long the orientations are but plan for a "full" day (aka 9 to 4 or 5)


okay.. holding the orientation weekend open on the slim chance of making law review is an issue since my family from out of the country is trying to buy tickets to visit right around that time. Do you / does anyone know what the gpa cutoff tends to be? Like all grade-related things at Penn, it's well-hidden and I can't find it.


Something like top 24 people in the class I THINK. Can't remember the exact number, but it isn't based on GPA but rather rank. Then you can write on as long as you aren't in the bottom 1/3 grade wise and you can also get on one other strange way that involves personal statements and voodoo dolls. I ain't holding my breath.

User avatar
Wholigan
Posts: 763
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:51 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby Wholigan » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:48 pm

Question on OCI mechanics for current students. Once bidding is over and you find out what firms you got screening interviews at, are you just given the interview schedule, or can you go into symplicity and select the times you want to do the interviews?

User avatar
Georgiana
Posts: 647
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:42 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby Georgiana » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:03 pm

Wholigan wrote:Question on OCI mechanics for current students. Once bidding is over and you find out what firms you got screening interviews at, are you just given the interview schedule, or can you go into symplicity and select the times you want to do the interviews?

They give you your schedule and you can try to switch times/firms with other people.

supahstahxruv
Posts: 135
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:49 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby supahstahxruv » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:38 am

does anyone have any suggestions for internet? it looks like only verizon and comcast offer service in the area, i would rather stick to verizon just because their basic service is cheaper, but does anyone know if it is too slow?




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests