Penn Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
underachiever

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby underachiever » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:32 pm

MC Southstar wrote:
Georgiana wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
MC Southstar wrote:I still wonder who Georgiana and Underachiever are in real life.

You guys are still be anonymous? I'd like to figure out who you all are.

Under and I know each other in real life :)

I'm happy to have lunch/coffee/tea with folks who have questions or just want to chat about life (and don't want to kidnap/rape/murder me... again one of my irrational life fears) but I won't be making a huge announcement/self tar or anything.

Huge announcement would probably be too much. Want to help me out with OCI tips?

I'm partially anonymous (random kids 1L yr called me out, I played dumb) And r6_philly you really don't, it will take away the mystery.

I have no fear of kidnap/rape/murder, unlike Georgiana so I too would be willing to meet and tell you things NOT to do at OCI. Georgiana can give you the positives as she was much more successful in school and at OCI.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:32 pm

I would also be happy to take OCI/recruiting questions if you are interested in asking questions of someone in the thick of things in 2011. The job hunt has already started for me since I'm in a 2ndary market. So far, it seems to be going well.

In exchange, I only ask that those who have seen the bear field a few of mine from time to time.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:41 pm

underachiever wrote:
I'm partially anonymous (random kids 1L yr called me out, I played dumb) And r6_philly you really don't, it will take away the mystery.

I have no fear of kidnap/rape/murder, unlike Georgiana so I too would be willing to meet and tell you things NOT to do at OCI. Georgiana can give you the positives as she was much more successful in school and at OCI.

Haha well I am not anonymous at all, so if any of you wants to say hi, please do.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:44 pm

MC Southstar wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
MC Southstar wrote:I still wonder who Georgiana and Underachiever are in real life.

You guys are still be anonymous? I'd like to figure out who you all are.

Hey dude, did you decide?

Hey, Penn it is unless I get off a WL. I got pretty comfortable with the campus and everything this year, so it's the most practical choice out of all my options.

supahstahxruv

Postby supahstahxruv » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:22 pm

if there are any current students still around...

what kind of activities (and how many) do people generally get involved with outside of class, especially as a 1L? it would be nice to participate in something meaningful and to meet new people, but i definitely want to have time to study... not going to repeat my undergrad mistakes haha

TLSNYC

Postby TLSNYC » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:38 pm

Another question - what are your general impressions of the law library and/or fisher? Do you generally find that it's hard to study there, i.e. too many people you know, not enough desks,library closes too early, etc.?
I'm trying to decide what kind of furniture to get and don't want to invest in a supersize desk (since a small one at home could work) if the library were generally a viable option.

Georgiana

Postby Georgiana » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:14 pm

supahstahxruv wrote:if there are any current students still around...

what kind of activities (and how many) do people generally get involved with outside of class, especially as a 1L? it would be nice to participate in something meaningful and to meet new people, but i definitely want to have time to study... not going to repeat my undergrad mistakes haha

It really depends on who you are and what you're interested in. I didn't get involved with much as a 1L and don't really regret it, but other people were joining groups as 1L reps or doing pro bono work or doing law school sports teams. One of the more popular things is the bowling club/group/whatever they call it. I went once as a fill in on someone's team and if I liked law students I can see it being a good time :)

I think the most worthwhile thing for me in law school was pro bono work and I kind of wish I had joined my project as a 1L because it was such a good experience (no, I'm not a public interest person).

If you're good at time management, its not a problem, and the 1Ls who were involved in the program I did generally did very well (because they're self starters and awesome people of course!).

Georgiana

Postby Georgiana » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:21 pm

TLSNYC wrote:Another question - what are your general impressions of the law library and/or fisher? Do you generally find that it's hard to study there, i.e. too many people you know, not enough desks,library closes too early, etc.?
I'm trying to decide what kind of furniture to get and don't want to invest in a supersize desk (since a small one at home could work) if the library were generally a viable option.

I like the law library, you can find a pretty secluded spot with limited issues up until exam time... during exams people tend to use it a lot more. I was partial to the reading room (runs cold, but I like cold) and also the 5th floor corner tables. Other people are carrel fans, or like the wide open study space on the 4th floor... and others prefer study rooms. They have something for everyone. Fisher I did a few times as a 2L and I found their chairs terribly uncomfortable, and they don't have AC, just giant fans. I found a nice little study room in Van Pelt (I think it was 4th or 5th floor in the Southeast corner). There are lots of places to study, but by the end I was much more interested in studying at home... on my couch or in my bed :)

As far as timing goes, it really depends on how late you want to study, I think the law library is generally open until 10 or 11 (ish?) and after that you can hide from the security lady and stay elsewhere in the law school as long as you want... if for some reason you want to do that sort of thing.

OH... as a 1L I also made use of the ADR/trial ad room in Silverman as well as the con-law annex on the mezzanine level of Silverman... I will also admit to doing some late night studying (and coffee/juice drinking) in the professor's lounge/break room/awesomeness place :)

Georgiana

Postby Georgiana » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:27 pm

underachiever wrote:I'm partially anonymous (random kids 1L yr called me out, I played dumb) And r6_philly you really don't, it will take away the mystery.

Mystery is overrated... I think we are probably cooler than they imagine us to be... maybe... though I don't think people assume TLSers are cool in real life. If only they KNEW!

And stop being such a self-depricater! (I made that word up I think...) As far as I'm aware (and as we know, I'm aware of so many things) you are successfully on your way to offer status and can breeze through 3L without thinking about trivial things like grades :)

silly101

Postby silly101 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:56 pm

any of you guys doing 0L prep?
[current students] do we need to?

Georgiana

Postby Georgiana » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:20 pm

silly101 wrote:any of you guys doing 0L prep?

Definitely NO

cherry17

Postby cherry17 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:00 am

Does anyone have any opinions on the Hub? I'm thinking about geting a 2 br. there and I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with it. It seems relatively close to campus and pretty decently priced, but I haven't gone to see it yet. I'm mostly concerned with whether or not it's more of an undergraduate place to live (which I expect could get pretty loud at night) and if it's in an okay location (close enough to campus to walk, safe at night, etc.). Thanks for any opinions/anecdotes!

dabomb75

Postby dabomb75 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:47 am

probly just going to read Getting to Maybe, possibly LEEWS, but that's about it.

Georgiana

Postby Georgiana » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:55 am

dabomb75 wrote:

probly just going to read Getting to Maybe, possibly LEEWS, but that's about it.

Oh i did read law school confidential... and forgot it all before classes started. It was an ok book but not worth reading if you have anything better to do. I also heard that LEEWS is better to do once youve started but thats just anecdotal. Substantive prepping is definitely not recommended. Penn did have a book list somewhere with "good" legal reads.

MC Southstar

Postby MC Southstar » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:57 am

supahstahxruv wrote:if there are any current students still around...

I did a lot of pro bono, but kept my time investment minimal...there are affinity groups too. Being a 1L rep for a group usually requires very little heavy lifting, but gives you exposure and lets you get to know the leaders. A lot of people I know did flag football and basketball teams, though some take it a bit too seriously. Boxing and bowling seem cool as well, though boxing is not for the faint at heart (fight night is sick though). There's a bar review every week, though I lost interested in that as the year wore on. GAPSA has events sometimes if you want to meet other grad students. They choose cool locations, but the events themselves usually run out of food/alcohol within like the first 30 minutes. You can participate in GAPSA planning if you so desire, or join some of the other groups that are cross-school at Penn, such as the Biotech group and some interest groups for stuff like management consulting and Chinese business (off the top of my head).

TLSNYC wrote:Another question - what are your general impressions of the law library and/or fisher? Do you generally find that it's hard to study there, i.e. too many people you know, not enough desks,library closes too early, etc.?

I can't stand the common areas in Biddle, people are always depressing there. My most common study spot is the study rooms inside, which are generally available throughout the year and can be reserved around finals time (4 hrs a day). Fine arts is good when it's not hot, but the ventilation somehow sucks there even though the ceilings are so high. The architecture is pretty sick though. I usually prefer Penn bookstore, starbucks, Houston hall, or a friend's apartment. I can't study in my own.

Go do something fun foo.

Georgiana

Postby Georgiana » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:33 pm

Hello All! I wanted to post that the 1L classes are up and you can (if you want) determine the possible section schedules and look at profs and exams. They're on the goat if you guys have access to that, but I've pasted there here as well (yea, I'm super nice, I know). It looks like they're doing some weird things with team teaching and it doesnt look like they've finalized the small section stuff. Take this as preliminary, but at least you'll get an idea about the timing, profs, and subjects (yay civ pro, K's, torts, and prop!)

Civil Procedure - Sec 1 Wax, Amy MTW - 10:30AM - 11:45AM
Civil Procedure - Sec 2 Burbank, Stephen B. and Wolff, Tobias B. MTW - 09:00AM - 10:15AM
Civil Procedure - Sec 3 Struve, Catherine MTW - 10:30AM - 11:45AM
Civil Procedure - Sec 3B Wolff, Tobias B. MTW - 10:30AM - 11:45AM
Contracts - Sec 1 Katz, Leo MW - 01:30PM - 02:45PM T - 03:00PM - 04:15PM
Contracts - Sec 2 Wilkinson-Ryan, Tess and Barnett, Randy TWR - 10:30AM - 11:45AM
Contracts - Sec 3 Madison, Kristin and Wilkinson-Ryan, Tess TWR - 10:30AM - 11:45AM
Contracts - Sec 3 Kraus, Jody MWR - 03:00PM - 04:15PM
Contracts - Sec 1B Bagchi, Aditi MW - 01:30PM - 02:45PM T - 03:00PM - 04:15PM
Torts - Sec 1A Feldman, Eric A. and Allen, Anita L. MWR - 09:00AM - 10:15AM
Torts - Sec 2 deLisle, Jacques and Austin, Regina MW - 01:30PM - 02:45PM R - 09:00AM - 10:15AM
Torts - Sec 3B Perry, Stephen R. and Klick, Jonathan MW - 01:30PM - 02:45PM R - 09:00AM - 10:15AM
Torts - Sec. 3A Austin, Regina MWR - 01:30PM - 02:45PM
Torts - Sec 1B Allen, Anita L. MT - 10:30AM - 11:45AM R - 09:00AM - 10:15AM
Property - Sec 1 Balganesh, Shyamkrishna MWR - 03:00PM - 04:15PM
Property - Sec 2 Wagner, R. Polk and Gordon, Sarah B. MWR - 03:00PM - 04:15PM
Property - Sec 3 Parchomovsky, Gideon MTW - 09:00AM - 10:15AM

tipler4213

Postby tipler4213 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:45 pm

Georgiana wrote:Hello All! I wanted to post that the 1L classes are up and you can (if you want) determine the possible section schedules and look at profs and exams. They're on the goat if you guys have access to that, but I've pasted there here as well (yea, I'm super nice, I know). It looks like they're doing some weird things with team teaching and it doesnt look like they've finalized the small section stuff. Take this as preliminary, but at least you'll get an idea about the timing, profs, and subjects (yay civ pro, K's, torts, and prop!)

Civil Procedure - Sec 2 Burbank, Stephen B. and Wolff, Tobias B. MTW - 09:00AM - 10:15AM
Contracts - Sec 2 Wilkinson-Ryan, Tess and Barnett, Randy TWR - 10:30AM - 11:45AM
Contracts - Sec 3 Madison, Kristin and Wilkinson-Ryan, Tess TWR - 10:30AM - 11:45AM
Torts - Sec 2 deLisle, Jacques and Austin, Regina MW - 01:30PM - 02:45PM R - 09:00AM - 10:15AM
Torts - Sec 3B Perry, Stephen R. and Klick, Jonathan MW - 01:30PM - 02:45PM R - 09:00AM - 10:15AM

Awesome, Thanks! I notice none of them list Friday as a class day. Is that all-day legal writing or something? Am i missing something?

Georgiana

Postby Georgiana » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:50 pm

tipler4213 wrote:Awesome, Thanks! I notice none of them list Friday as a class day. Is that all-day legal writing or something? Am i missing something?

LW is T/Th at lunchtime (noon) and varies a lot depending on the week. As a 1L I only had one Friday class so maybe this year they decided to be nice and give 1Ls Friday off :)

dabomb75

Postby dabomb75 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:58 am

Georgiana wrote:Hello All! I wanted to post that the 1L classes are up and you can (if you want) determine the possible section schedules and look at profs and exams. They're on the goat if you guys have access to that, but I've pasted there here as well (yea, I'm super nice, I know). It looks like they're doing some weird things with team teaching and it doesnt look like they've finalized the small section stuff. Take this as preliminary, but at least you'll get an idea about the timing, profs, and subjects (yay civ pro, K's, torts, and prop!)

Thanks a lot for this! Any chance you could link directly to it. We have GOAT access already but I couldn't find it on there.

I made the class schedule for sections 1 and 2 in calendar format for anyone who wants to get a feel for what our daily lives are going to look like:

http://i.imgur.com/nQ5Jk.jpg

and I'm excited for no class on fridays. Should make the occasional trips to NY and DC I'm planning easier to do

Georgiana

Postby Georgiana » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:29 am

Theres no actual link bc its in the course portal. But to get there its main goat site --> course portal link --> course list link on left side --> fall 2011 tab on that page

underachiever

Postby underachiever » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:28 pm

Planning for 3L classes is so amazing...Looking like 8 total hrs of class, over 3 days. 0Ls/1Ls, I would say you should look forward to this 3L vacation.

run26.2

Postby run26.2 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:30 am

underachiever wrote:Planning for 3L classes is so amazing...Looking like 8 total hrs of class, over 3 days. 0Ls/1Ls, I would say you should look forward to this 3L vacation.

How did you swing this? How many credits did you take 2L year? Looks like you are going to be breezing through 3L.

underachiever

Postby underachiever » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:06 am

run26.2 wrote:
underachiever wrote:Planning for 3L classes is so amazing...Looking like 8 total hrs of class, over 3 days. 0Ls/1Ls, I would say you should look forward to this 3L vacation.

How did you swing this? How many credits did you take 2L year? Looks like you are going to be breezing through 3L.

Its 12 credits. I am just taking seminars that are 2hrs long but worth 3 credits. And 2L year I took 31 credits and basically all the classes I 'needed' to set myself up for this 3L cruise. I may however take a Wharton class so my class time will jump to 9hrs overall.

c_dubya_s

Postby c_dubya_s » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:17 pm

dabomb75 wrote:

Thought about doing LEEWS, but I'll probably just stick with Getting to Maybe. I'm getting the sense that LEEWS might not be all that helpful before I start 1L.

Georgiana--thanks for posting the 1L schedule!

TLSNYC

Postby TLSNYC » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:51 am

http://www.dailypennsylvanian.com/node/49361
This article is seriously dated but it's making me worry that there's a strict no laptop in class policy. True, false, or depends on profs? Can any of you super help penn students estimate just how wide-spread this is?

ANd once again, thanks to all the students posting here. This thread is 56 pages of gold for any future penn student!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”