Penn Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
sonervous88
Posts: 208
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:27 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby sonervous88 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:08 pm

a
supahstahxruv wrote:Can any current students/residents speak to health insurance plans that are acceptable as substitutes for Penn's heath plan, which imho is ridiculously overpriced?


where on the site are you looking? i'm lost and confused :)

supahstahxruv
Posts: 135
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:49 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby supahstahxruv » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:15 pm

sonervous88 wrote:a
supahstahxruv wrote:Can any current students/residents speak to health insurance plans that are acceptable as substitutes for Penn's heath plan, which imho is ridiculously overpriced?


where on the site are you looking? i'm lost and confused :)


the requirements are here: http://www.vpul.upenn.edu/shs/insurance.php

and the premiums for the 11-12 year are here: http://www.vpul.upenn.edu/shs/insrates1112.php
works out to about $250/month... :|

sonervous88
Posts: 208
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:27 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby sonervous88 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:17 pm

supahstahxruv wrote:
sonervous88 wrote:a
supahstahxruv wrote:Can any current students/residents speak to health insurance plans that are acceptable as substitutes for Penn's heath plan, which imho is ridiculously overpriced?


where on the site are you looking? i'm lost and confused :)


the requirements are here: http://www.vpul.upenn.edu/shs/insurance.php

and the premiums for the 11-12 year are here: http://www.vpul.upenn.edu/shs/insrates1112.php
works out to about $250/month... :|


geez

User avatar
Georgiana
Posts: 647
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:42 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby Georgiana » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:23 pm

supahstahxruv wrote:Can any current students/residents speak to health insurance plans that are acceptable as substitutes for Penn's heath plan, which imho is ridiculously overpriced?

I agree re: overpricedness!

I never bought it. I had UnitedHealthcare (~90/mo) for two years but changed recently to Aetna (~70/mo and includes dental!). The Aetna site is pretty easy to use to look at plans and you can always call them to ask abut whether certain plans fulfill the Penn requirements. My United plan went up every couple months while Aetna has only gone down since I signed up. They do randomly verify your insurance meets their requirements (mine was checked once during the three years) and you should have some insurance just in case you're hit by a SEPTA bus or something, but Penn's plan is crazy. Keep in mind that you'll be charged an extra $200/year by Penn to have access to the student health center (not optional, convenient when you have a sore throat or some other minor ailment, the visit is free but they'll bill you the cost of x-rays or intense testing, I dont think they ever charged for strep tests or simple things like that...).

Let me know if you have other questions :)

Note: If you have ongoing health problems/preexisting conditions, it might be cheaper/better to have the Penn plan giving you access to all of Penn Med stuff. I rarely go to the doctor outside of my yearly visit which is why my plans are so cheap, quotes will differ depending on your medical history.

supahstahxruv
Posts: 135
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:49 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby supahstahxruv » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:34 pm

Georgiana wrote:
supahstahxruv wrote:Can any current students/residents speak to health insurance plans that are acceptable as substitutes for Penn's heath plan, which imho is ridiculously overpriced?

I agree re: overpricedness!

I never bought it. I had UnitedHealthcare (~90/mo) for two years but changed recently to Aetna (~70/mo and includes dental!). The Aetna site is pretty easy to use to look at plans and you can always call them to ask abut whether certain plans fulfill the Penn requirements. My United plan went up every couple months while Aetna has only gone down since I signed up. They do randomly verify your insurance meets their requirements (mine was checked once during the three years) and you should have some insurance just in case you're hit by a SEPTA bus or something, but Penn's plan is crazy. Keep in mind that you'll be charged an extra $200/year by Penn to have access to the student health center (not optional, convenient when you have a sore throat or some other minor ailment, the visit is free but they'll bill you the cost of x-rays or intense testing, I dont think they ever charged for strep tests or simple things like that...).

Let me know if you have other questions :)

Note: If you have ongoing health problems/preexisting conditions, it might be cheaper/better to have the Penn plan giving you access to all of Penn Med stuff. I rarely go to the doctor outside of my yearly visit which is why my plans are so cheap, quotes will differ depending on your medical history.


Unless law school leads to the development of some serious health problems :lol: , the once-yearly plus when I have a cold is about all I need a plan to cover! Thanks Georgiana, you are a champ!

beebee18
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:56 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby beebee18 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:23 pm

I'm looking into purchasing a new laptop for next year. Any recommendations: pc vs. mac?
Are tests usually taken on laptops?

User avatar
Georgiana
Posts: 647
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:42 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby Georgiana » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:49 pm

beebee18 wrote:I'm looking into purchasing a new laptop for next year. Any recommendations: pc vs. mac?
Are tests usually taken on laptops?

Tests are generally on laptops unless its MC. Buy whatever you're comfortable with, I'd say the split is pretty 50/50.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby r6_philly » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:53 pm

Georgiana wrote:
supahstahxruv wrote:Can any current students/residents speak to health insurance plans that are acceptable as substitutes for Penn's heath plan, which imho is ridiculously overpriced?

I agree re: overpricedness!

I never bought it. I had UnitedHealthcare (~90/mo) for two years but changed recently to Aetna (~70/mo and includes dental!). The Aetna site is pretty easy to use to look at plans and you can always call them to ask abut whether certain plans fulfill the Penn requirements. My United plan went up every couple months while Aetna has only gone down since I signed up. They do randomly verify your insurance meets their requirements (mine was checked once during the three years) and you should have some insurance just in case you're hit by a SEPTA bus or something, but Penn's plan is crazy. Keep in mind that you'll be charged an extra $200/year by Penn to have access to the student health center (not optional, convenient when you have a sore throat or some other minor ailment, the visit is free but they'll bill you the cost of x-rays or intense testing, I dont think they ever charged for strep tests or simple things like that...).

Let me know if you have other questions :)

Note: If you have ongoing health problems/preexisting conditions, it might be cheaper/better to have the Penn plan giving you access to all of Penn Med stuff. I rarely go to the doctor outside of my yearly visit which is why my plans are so cheap, quotes will differ depending on your medical history.


The United and Atena plans pass the benefit tests for waiver? That's pretty cheap. Some plans don't carry enough coverage so be careful with the plans you buy.

Student health plan is overpriced for sure.

User avatar
Georgiana
Posts: 647
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:42 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby Georgiana » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:29 pm

r6_philly wrote:The United and Atena plans pass the benefit tests for waiver? That's pretty cheap. Some plans don't carry enough coverage so be careful with the plans you buy.

Student health plan is overpriced for sure.

The United one did bc I called and gave them my list of requirements (and thats the one I was audited on), I'm not sure whether my Aetna one does, but I didn't sign up for it until after fall semester started so it didn't matter :)

User avatar
underachiever
Posts: 401
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:09 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby underachiever » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:28 am

supahstahxruv wrote:Can any current students/residents speak to health insurance plans that are acceptable as substitutes for Penn's heath plan, which imho is ridiculously overpriced?



Ya, I went 1L w/o insurance (just put in old insurance info and was not audited), then got a cheap plan 2L which failed about 25% of their requirement test, from Aetna and was audited, yet still passed. My advice is get a cheap plan in Aug and apply for the waiver with it. They would have to drag me kicking and screaming on to their 2400$ plan.

User avatar
Georgiana
Posts: 647
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:42 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby Georgiana » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:59 am

underachiever wrote:
supahstahxruv wrote:Can any current students/residents speak to health insurance plans that are acceptable as substitutes for Penn's heath plan, which imho is ridiculously overpriced?



Ya, I went 1L w/o insurance (just put in old insurance info and was not audited), then got a cheap plan 2L which failed about 25% of their requirement test, from Aetna and was audited, yet still passed. My advice is get a cheap plan in Aug and apply for the waiver with it. They would have to drag me kicking and screaming on to their 2400$ plan.

Well hello! I hope your summer is going as stress free as possible :)

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby r6_philly » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:28 pm

underachiever wrote:
supahstahxruv wrote:Can any current students/residents speak to health insurance plans that are acceptable as substitutes for Penn's heath plan, which imho is ridiculously overpriced?



Ya, I went 1L w/o insurance (just put in old insurance info and was not audited), then got a cheap plan 2L which failed about 25% of their requirement test, from Aetna and was audited, yet still passed. My advice is get a cheap plan in Aug and apply for the waiver with it. They would have to drag me kicking and screaming on to their 2400$ plan.


My plan does not consider HUP a part of my primary network so I can't go there for service, which was kind of annoying when Student Health send me referrals to HUP but I have to jump through hoops to get my insurance to honor it.

User avatar
ayahara
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:42 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby ayahara » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:18 pm

underachiever wrote:
supahstahxruv wrote:Can any current students/residents speak to health insurance plans that are acceptable as substitutes for Penn's heath plan, which imho is ridiculously overpriced?



Ya, I went 1L w/o insurance (just put in old insurance info and was not audited), then got a cheap plan 2L which failed about 25% of their requirement test, from Aetna and was audited, yet still passed. My advice is get a cheap plan in Aug and apply for the waiver with it. They would have to drag me kicking and screaming on to their 2400$ plan.


If you go this route, how does it affect your student loans? Are you still offered the full student budget, or do they adjust it for your rate? I am a bit concerned about my student loan budget because their 8K rent allotment is lower than I will be paying, and this seems like a potential area for making up the difference .. aside from blanching at the cost of the Penn plan.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:49 pm

ayahara wrote:
If you go this route, how does it affect your student loans? Are you still offered the full student budget, or do they adjust it for your rate? I am a bit concerned about my student loan budget because their 8K rent allotment is lower than I will be paying, and this seems like a potential area for making up the difference .. aside from blanching at the cost of the Penn plan.


SFS has a budget increase form, you can try to get your housing bumped. There is also a computer allowance that you can get without actually buying a computer.

User avatar
Georgiana
Posts: 647
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:42 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby Georgiana » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:54 pm

r6_philly wrote:
ayahara wrote:
If you go this route, how does it affect your student loans? Are you still offered the full student budget, or do they adjust it for your rate? I am a bit concerned about my student loan budget because their 8K rent allotment is lower than I will be paying, and this seems like a potential area for making up the difference .. aside from blanching at the cost of the Penn plan.


SFS has a budget increase form, you can try to get your housing bumped. There is also a computer allowance that you can get without actually buying a computer.

The first year I increased my budget quite a bit (I have an irrational fear of not having cash to cover x, y, z catastrophe... I have a lot of irrational fears in life...). They don't adjust it based on your health insurance so there are savings there. The computer route is another one... you have to print out an invoice for a computer (not a receipt) and send it along with your budget increase request, I think it was $3k? I just picked an expensive Sony to tell them I wanted and it came close to the max (obv you can only do this once in the 3 years). I also sent in prices for internet and TV (when really I just tethered my cellphone and didn't have TV). I think I possibly even sent them my cellphone cost for increase... I don't remember if I went that far but knowing me, I did. They will also increase it if your rent is higher than their budget allows for. You just send in a copy of the lease with your rent amount and they'll adjust it.
Last edited by Georgiana on Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ayahara
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:42 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby ayahara » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:04 am

Georgiana wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
ayahara wrote:
If you go this route, how does it affect your student loans? Are you still offered the full student budget, or do they adjust it for your rate? I am a bit concerned about my student loan budget because their 8K rent allotment is lower than I will be paying, and this seems like a potential area for making up the difference .. aside from blanching at the cost of the Penn plan.


SFS has a budget increase form, you can try to get your housing bumped. There is also a computer allowance that you can get without actually buying a computer.

The first year I increased my budget quite a bit (I have an irrational fear of not having cash to cover x, y, z catastrophe... I have a lot of irrational fears in life...). They don't adjust it based on your health insurance so there are savings there. The computer route is another one... you have to print out an invoice for a computer (not a receipt) and send it along with your budget increase request, I think it was $3k? I just picked an expensive Sony to tell them I wanted and it came close to the max (obv you can only do this once in the 3 years). I also sent in prices for internet and TV (when really I just tethered my cellphone and didn't have TV). I think I possibly even sent them my cellphone cost for increase... I don't remember if I went that far but knowing me, I did. They will also increase it if you rent is higher than their budget allows for. You just send in a copy of the lease with your rent amount and they'll adjust it.


Thanks for these suggestions, R6 and Georgiana! I have a pittance saved, which will get me through my first year budget excesses, but I feel much better knowing I can go these routes when I am depending on loans for everything thereafter.

User avatar
Georgiana
Posts: 647
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:42 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby Georgiana » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:23 am

Oh, and a semi-related thing I remembered that could be helpful for a few rising 2Ls out there... they'll reimburse (aka let you have more loans) for a certain amount of "interview expenses" which includes the need to purchase a suit or fly out for regional interviews and the like.

User avatar
underachiever
Posts: 401
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:09 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby underachiever » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:56 pm

ayahara wrote:
underachiever wrote:
supahstahxruv wrote:Can any current students/residents speak to health insurance plans that are acceptable as substitutes for Penn's heath plan, which imho is ridiculously overpriced?



Ya, I went 1L w/o insurance (just put in old insurance info and was not audited), then got a cheap plan 2L which failed about 25% of their requirement test, from Aetna and was audited, yet still passed. My advice is get a cheap plan in Aug and apply for the waiver with it. They would have to drag me kicking and screaming on to their 2400$ plan.


If you go this route, how does it affect your student loans? Are you still offered the full student budget, or do they adjust it for your rate? I am a bit concerned about my student loan budget because their 8K rent allotment is lower than I will be paying, and this seems like a potential area for making up the difference .. aside from blanching at the cost of the Penn plan.


I couldnt tell you, I never had to maxout or try and get the GradPlus loans. I would think you would still be offered the full amount (aka still getting $2400 or so for healthcare) and you could then use the money as you please.

User avatar
underachiever
Posts: 401
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:09 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby underachiever » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:58 pm

Georgiana wrote:Well hello! I hope your summer is going as stress free as possible :)


Oh yes! Not as much fun as studying for the Bar I hear, but good times nonetheless.

User avatar
MC Southstar
Posts: 1238
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby MC Southstar » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:15 pm

I still wonder who Georgiana and Underachiever are in real life.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby r6_philly » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:34 pm

MC Southstar wrote:I still wonder who Georgiana and Underachiever are in real life.


You guys are still be anonymous? I'd like to figure out who you all are.

User avatar
MC Southstar
Posts: 1238
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby MC Southstar » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:36 pm

r6_philly wrote:
MC Southstar wrote:I still wonder who Georgiana and Underachiever are in real life.


You guys are still be anonymous? I'd like to figure out who you all are.


Hey dude, did you decide?

User avatar
Georgiana
Posts: 647
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:42 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby Georgiana » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:42 pm

r6_philly wrote:
MC Southstar wrote:I still wonder who Georgiana and Underachiever are in real life.


You guys are still be anonymous? I'd like to figure out who you all are.

Under and I know each other in real life :)

I'm happy to have lunch/coffee/tea with folks who have questions or just want to chat about life (and don't want to kidnap/rape/murder me... again one of my irrational life fears) but I won't be making a huge announcement/self tar or anything.

User avatar
MC Southstar
Posts: 1238
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby MC Southstar » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:47 pm

Georgiana wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
MC Southstar wrote:I still wonder who Georgiana and Underachiever are in real life.


You guys are still be anonymous? I'd like to figure out who you all are.

Under and I know each other in real life :)

I'm happy to have lunch/coffee/tea with folks who have questions or just want to chat about life (and don't want to kidnap/rape/murder me... again one of my irrational life fears) but I won't be making a huge announcement/self tar or anything.


Huge announcement would probably be too much. Want to help me out with OCI tips?

User avatar
Georgiana
Posts: 647
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:42 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby Georgiana » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:56 pm

MC Southstar wrote:
Georgiana wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
MC Southstar wrote:I still wonder who Georgiana and Underachiever are in real life.


You guys are still be anonymous? I'd like to figure out who you all are.

Under and I know each other in real life :)

I'm happy to have lunch/coffee/tea with folks who have questions or just want to chat about life (and don't want to kidnap/rape/murder me... again one of my irrational life fears) but I won't be making a huge announcement/self tar or anything.


Huge announcement would probably be too much. Want to help me out with OCI tips?

Happy to help in any way I can :)




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: charmonster and 4 guests