Penn Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
damage-inc

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby damage-inc » Thu May 26, 2011 11:11 pm

Georgiana wrote: but a lot of people move out after 1L

Thanks for the reply! any particular reason for the above quoted?

Georgiana

Postby Georgiana » Fri May 27, 2011 10:20 am

damage-inc wrote:

I think there are two:
1) People lived with a roommate they no longer want to live with
2) They get to know the layout of Philly, realize they won't be in class as much as 2/3Ls, and want to be somewhere thats in a nicer location (2400 is a pretty dead spot for bars, restaurants, shopping, other people). Its not that far from the rittenhouse area (5-6 blocks) but it means taking a cab if you're at all skittish about Philly at night because the blocks closest to 2400 are pretty abandoned at night/not the best lit (note: I'm a girl and have never had issues walking around Philly at night but I have friends that would def not walk at the times/places I did... I also have an irrational fear of cabs so take that fwiw).

czelede

Postby czelede » Fri May 27, 2011 12:18 pm

Georgiana wrote:
damage-inc wrote:

I think there are two:
1) People lived with a roommate they no longer want to live with
2) They get to know the layout of Philly, realize they won't be in class as much as 2/3Ls, and want to be somewhere thats in a nicer location (2400 is a pretty dead spot for bars, restaurants, shopping, other people). Its not that far from the rittenhouse area (5-6 blocks) but it means taking a cab if you're at all skittish about Philly at night because the blocks closest to 2400 are pretty abandoned at night/not the best lit (note: I'm a girl and have never had issues walking around Philly at night but I have friends that would def not walk at the times/places I did... I also have an irrational fear of cabs so take that fwiw).

Regarding this, do you think it would be more convenient to live closer to Rittenhouse? I'm looking at apartments in the Fitler area but am concerned about some of the same things (being too far away).

Georgiana

Postby Georgiana » Fri May 27, 2011 1:23 pm

czelede wrote:Regarding this, do you think it would be more convenient to live closer to Rittenhouse? I'm looking at apartments in the Fitler area but am concerned about some of the same things (being too far away).

Fitler is a nice residential area and the walk to school isnt long using the South St bridge or the Walnut St bridge. You're more likely to get a brownstone than a highrise which is why some people may chose 2400 over it (I like have doormen, call me spoiled). It's a nicer area to live compared to the area around 2400 but its not much closer to grocery stores (remember there's always delivery groceries from genuardis.com, I did that for 2 years) but walking there at night doesn't feel as unsafe.

damage-inc

Postby damage-inc » Fri May 27, 2011 4:02 pm

unfortunately, all the studios and 1br in 2400 chestnut are taken so....

any opinions for Locust on the Park?
Georgiana, any expertise?

Georgiana

Postby Georgiana » Fri May 27, 2011 4:17 pm

damage-inc wrote:unfortunately, all the studios and 1br in 2400 chestnut are taken so....

I know at least one person in our 1L class lived there and like it, but I feel like it was expensive (Dranoff usually is, see, e.g. Left Bank). I have a friend at Left Bank who didn't love the management but I don't know if the same people manage all the Dranoff stuff. Sorry I can't be more helpful on this one!

tipler4213

Postby tipler4213 » Sat May 28, 2011 10:16 am

Does Penn have an outline bank? Is it easy to determine which ones are the "good" outlines from top students, or should I plan on making my own?

I will be working 15 hrs/week (unique circumstances, so no need to delve into this), so I need to make sure I am as efficient as possible. Plus, I like to drink. A lot.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sat May 28, 2011 3:28 pm

Georgiana wrote:
damage-inc wrote:unfortunately, all the studios and 1br in 2400 chestnut are taken so....

I know at least one person in our 1L class lived there and like it, but I feel like it was expensive (Dranoff usually is, see, e.g. Left Bank). I have a friend at Left Bank who didn't love the management but I don't know if the same people manage all the Dranoff stuff. Sorry I can't be more helpful on this one!

I live in a Dranoff property (but not the ones mentioned here; I'm across the river in Jersey). They aren't the greatest, and have plenty of flaws (though some of that could be my building) but I wouldn't NOT live somewhere because it was Dranoff.

Georgiana

Postby Georgiana » Sat May 28, 2011 3:42 pm

tipler4213 wrote:Does Penn have an outline bank? Is it easy to determine which ones are the "good" outlines from top students, or should I plan on making my own?

I will be working 15 hrs/week (unique circumstances, so no need to delve into this), so I need to make sure I am as efficient as possible. Plus, I like to drink. A lot.

There are a lot of outlines floating around out there. Pennlawoutlines.com has a lot of 1L outlines but not much else worthwhile. Most of the affinity groups have outline banks you can probably get your hands on and the journals also tend to have outline banks (law review and JIL have them, not sure about JBL/JCL/JLASC). Unless the class is new, you should be able to find an outline but its up to you to figure out whether you learn better by making your own or by studying/updating/building upon others.

tipler4213

Postby tipler4213 » Sun May 29, 2011 9:40 am

Georgiana wrote:
tipler4213 wrote:Does Penn have an outline bank? Is it easy to determine which ones are the "good" outlines from top students, or should I plan on making my own?

There are a lot of outlines floating around out there. Pennlawoutlines.com has a lot of 1L outlines but not much else worthwhile. Most of the affinity groups have outline banks you can probably get your hands on and the journals also tend to have outline banks (law review and JIL have them, not sure about JBL/JCL/JLASC). Unless the class is new, you should be able to find an outline but its up to you to figure out whether you learn better by making your own or by studying/updating/building upon others.

Just to clarify, I assume you have to be a member of the affinity group, journal, etc to use their outlines, correct?

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Sun May 29, 2011 9:58 am

tipler4213 wrote:Just to clarify, I assume you have to be a member of the affinity group, journal, etc to use their outlines, correct?

Not necessarily.

Georgiana

Postby Georgiana » Sun May 29, 2011 5:14 pm

johnnyutah wrote:
tipler4213 wrote:Just to clarify, I assume you have to be a member of the affinity group, journal, etc to use their outlines, correct?

Not necessarily.

Agreed! Just ask around :) I "obtained" the LALSA or APALSA (or something...) database as a 1L and I'm a regular white chick with no affinities :(

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Mon May 30, 2011 11:10 am

tipler4213 wrote:
Georgiana wrote:

Just to clarify, I assume you have to be a member of the affinity group, journal, etc to use their outlines, correct?

Now that wouldn't be very collegial, would it?

illwill

Postby illwill » Mon May 30, 2011 6:45 pm

So I'm looking at a range of places in Philly, but what are the thoughts on the Roxborough/Manayunk area. Prices seem a lot more affordable, but its a bit of a daily commute. Bad idea for the 1L year?

run26.2

Postby run26.2 » Tue May 31, 2011 1:38 am

illwill wrote:So I'm looking at a range of places in Philly, but what are the thoughts on the Roxborough/Manayunk area. Prices seem a lot more affordable, but its a bit of a daily commute. Bad idea for the 1L year?

The following is long, but I am trying to draw a bit on my experience to help out. Sum: Manayunk is cheap, there are great places to eat and drink, but it is not all that convenient and may put a damper on your social life with law school friends.

These areas make more sense if you are married or your SO is going to be living with you, IMO. I knew 1 1L that lived there last year who was married, and another 2L who was in a serious relationship. Lots of local shops, restaurants, bars (most with character) in the area and some insulation from the law school if your spouse/gf/bf is not totally into hanging out with law school students several times a week. That said, your friends will not visit as often out there since it is a bit out of the way. You can make it happen, but it takes some effort to get people out there.

The commute can vary widely if you travel by car, and it will depend in part on where in Manayunk you live. I would avoid living where you have to drive on Levrington or cross Green Lane to get on 76 at all costs because these areas are highly congested during morning rush hour. By that route, it can take as long as 50 minutes to get in... but it can also be under 20 minutes some days. The better route, IMO, is to take Ridge to W. River Drive and get off on Girard Ave. That commute time is more consistent and probably around 25 minutes. Part of the problem is that you don't set your schedule 1L year. I lived in Manayunk for 2L year, and I scheduled my classes either on M/W/F or T/Th so I did not have to go in every day.

There are a lot of other cool things about the area that I like, e.g. frequent street festivals, running clubs, driving range nearby, super strong biking community, seeing people I know on the street, etc. It is a really different feel from U City or Center City, more of like a suburb or small city feel with a pretty tight community. I really like Manayunk, and I think it has made my experience in Philly very enjoyable.

If you have any questions about particular places, PM me and I'll do my best to respond. Hope the above info is helpful.

damage-inc

Postby damage-inc » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:54 am

Anyone mind sharing the class schedule they had for 1L?

Just trying to get a sense of what my schedule will be like to plan gym/studying/cooking

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:16 am

damage-inc wrote:Anyone mind sharing the class schedule they had for 1L?

Just trying to get a sense of what my schedule will be like to plan gym/studying/cooking

School said the schedule may be different for this year so don't use last year's schedule as a guide. That said, you can get an idea... It's usually light on Fridays.

https://goat.law.upenn.edu/registrar/Do ... leFall.pdf

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:18 am

illwill wrote:So I'm looking at a range of places in Philly, but what are the thoughts on the Roxborough/Manayunk area. Prices seem a lot more affordable, but its a bit of a daily commute. Bad idea for the 1L year?

Just remember if you live on the hilly side streets of Manayunk, bus may not run when it's snowy/icy. People often get stranded on the buses or at home/work when a storm hits. Doesn't happen often, but something to keep in mind. And if you drive, city is so broke they may not be able to plow side streets for a few days, and manayunk has to be the last place they attempt to go.

tipler4213

Postby tipler4213 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:33 pm

r6_philly wrote:
damage-inc wrote:Anyone mind sharing the class schedule they had for 1L?

School said the schedule may be different for this year so don't use last year's schedule as a guide. That said, you can get an idea... It's usually light on Fridays.

https://goat.law.upenn.edu/registrar/Do ... leFall.pdf

Would someone mind posting a couple sample schedules? I don't think it counts as "proprietary information", and I actually stored my LawKey information in my phone, then it blew up, and now I can't remember it. So, i had to apply for a new one, which takes a week!

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:53 pm

You can use the ASW username/password.

sonervous88

Postby sonervous88 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:20 pm

Hi guys! So i'm looking at apartments...this may have already been posted, but how easy is it to get from center city to classes? I'm confused regarding the Penn Shuttle. Do people just walk it? Thanks for the help!

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:27 pm

sonervous88 wrote:Hi guys! So i'm looking at apartments...this may have already been posted, but how easy is it to get from center city to classes? I'm confused regarding the Penn Shuttle. Do people just walk it? Thanks for the help!

The summer schedule is different so don't go by what's on the site right now. You can easily walk it from Rittenhouse. I usually have to walk half as far from where I park, not a big deal.

run26.2

Postby run26.2 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:30 pm

r6_philly wrote:

Just remember if you live on the hilly side streets of Manayunk, bus may not run when it's snowy/icy. People often get stranded on the buses or at home/work when a storm hits. Doesn't happen often, but something to keep in mind. And if you drive, city is so broke they may not be able to plow side streets for a few days, and manayunk has to be the last place they attempt to go.

I can't speak to the bus issue, cause I didn't take them. But as to the plowing of the streets, my streets were always plowed when it snowed. It was no different driving in Manayunk than driving in town.

If you live in Manayunk, it would make more sense to take the train, anyhow. And those were always running as well. So don't let the weather factor be a decider for you.

sonervous88

Postby sonervous88 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:04 am

run26.2 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

I can't speak to the bus issue, cause I didn't take them. But as to the plowing of the streets, my streets were always plowed when it snowed. It was no different driving in Manayunk than driving in town.

If you live in Manayunk, it would make more sense to take the train, anyhow. And those were always running as well. So don't let the weather factor be a decider for you.

Thank you all so much! Found an apartment! So excited to be joining all of you!

supahstahxruv

Postby supahstahxruv » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:04 pm

Can any current students/residents speak to health insurance plans that are acceptable as substitutes for Penn's heath plan, which imho is ridiculously overpriced?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”