Penn Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
r6_philly

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby r6_philly » Mon May 16, 2011 4:12 pm

I was just thinking too, if you are wondering what bank is convenient, there is a Wells Fargo across the street.

underachiever

Postby underachiever » Tue May 17, 2011 8:43 am

r6_philly wrote:I was just thinking too, if you are wondering what bank is convenient, there is a Wells Fargo across the street.

Ya, banking was a pain for me when I got to Philly. PNCs are everywhere (the official Penn bank I believe) and thats who I went with for a local account. TD bank is also popular in the city.

There arent any Chase banks closer then a 30min drive into NJ and Bank of America has a few locations in the city (like 3 or 4).

Georgiana

Postby Georgiana » Tue May 17, 2011 10:09 am

underachiever wrote:
r6_philly wrote:I was just thinking too, if you are wondering what bank is convenient, there is a Wells Fargo across the street.

Ya, banking was a pain for me when I got to Philly. PNCs are everywhere (the official Penn bank I believe) and thats who I went with for a local account. TD bank is also popular in the city.

There arent any Chase banks closer then a 30min drive into NJ and Bank of America has a few locations in the city (like 3 or 4).

+ Bank of America if you're in CC, I haven't looked at it in UC bc I spend no time there.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue May 17, 2011 10:13 am

Georgiana wrote:+ Bank of America if you're in CC, I haven't looked at it in UC bc I spend no time there.

Very few BOAs. PNC/Wells Fargo (formerly Wachovia) is the way to go. PNC probably has the most ATMs in area malls. TD opens later than all and on weekends.

silly101

Postby silly101 » Tue May 17, 2011 4:45 pm

what about Chase?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue May 17, 2011 4:55 pm

silly101 wrote:what about Chase?

Not in PA (at least southeast PA)

marija

Postby marija » Tue May 17, 2011 6:06 pm

Last edited by marija on Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Tue May 17, 2011 6:10 pm

This was probably asked somewhere in this thread, but whats the cheapest that housing usually goes for in the area relatively close to Penn? If I get in as a transfer, I'm looking to live on the cheap, so I would definitely look into subletting a single room, but not sure if there are any local residential neighborhoods. Not sure what the cheapest options are.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue May 17, 2011 6:40 pm

kaiser wrote:This was probably asked somewhere in this thread, but whats the cheapest that housing usually goes for in the area relatively close to Penn? If I get in as a transfer, I'm looking to live on the cheap, so I would definitely look into subletting a single room, but not sure if there are any local residential neighborhoods. Not sure what the cheapest options are.

The easy guide is, the higher the house's street numbers the lower the price should be ;) I'd not go much farther than 4800 xxx street or 900 S. number street. (in UC)

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Wed May 18, 2011 5:13 pm

Hey r6, I'm thinking about moving in to a place I found on 31st and Mantua - right at that part of Mantua that curls around and follows the Schuykill. It's got a gorgeous view. What do you think?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed May 18, 2011 5:18 pm

johnnyutah wrote:Hey r6, I'm thinking about moving in to a place I found on 31st and Mantua - right at that part of Mantua that curls around and follows the Schuykill. It's got a gorgeous view. What do you think?

The view must be awesome. I think that's an ok area, a bit isolated since it's the last street before the river. I'd drive by there at night and on weekend nights and see how it is. It's probably fine though.

Is it loud? The expressway is right there. I know they have sound walls but you should check it out at night and make sure.

So you are staying? Your job's is in the city? Cool!

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Wed May 18, 2011 5:21 pm

r6_philly wrote:So you are staying? Your job's is in the city? Cool!

Hell yeah, man. Networking and volunteering finally paid off, I'm clerking for a judge in City Hall this year.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed May 18, 2011 5:24 pm

johnnyutah wrote:

Hell yeah, man. Networking and volunteering finally paid off, I'm clerking for a judge in City Hall this year.

Nice. I will hit you up, maybe we can have lunch. There are more networking things you may be interested in.

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Wed May 18, 2011 5:25 pm

r6_philly wrote:
johnnyutah wrote:

Nice. I will hit you up, maybe we can have lunch. There are more networking things you may be interested in.

Sounds good man.

damage-inc

Postby damage-inc » Sun May 22, 2011 8:02 pm

Can students comment on the fact that nearly every university city student housing I look up has some kind of issue with mice and roaches? Is this just the result of old buildings that havent been renovated and cleaned or is it just a problem in the area? Sorry if this question comes off ignorant and offensive but its deff a huge issue for someone that doesnt want to share an apartment with roaches and rats

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Mon May 23, 2011 12:24 am

damage-inc wrote:Can students comment on the fact that nearly every university city student housing I look up has some kind of issue with mice and roaches? Is this just the result of old buildings that havent been renovated and cleaned or is it just a problem in the area? Sorry if this question comes off ignorant and offensive but its deff a huge issue for someone that doesnt want to share an apartment with roaches and rats

I saw one mouse all year and 0 roaches in my apt.

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Mon May 23, 2011 11:40 am

damage-inc wrote:Can students comment on the fact that nearly every university city student housing I look up has some kind of issue with mice and roaches? Is this just the result of old buildings that havent been renovated and cleaned or is it just a problem in the area? Sorry if this question comes off ignorant and offensive but its deff a huge issue for someone that doesnt want to share an apartment with roaches and rats

Don't live in a city.

monarchylover

Postby monarchylover » Mon May 23, 2011 8:28 pm

is University city uber ghetto also if you park on the street will peeps mess up your car?

c_dubya_s

Postby c_dubya_s » Tue May 24, 2011 9:37 am

monarchylover wrote:is University city uber ghetto also if you park on the street will peeps mess up your car?

Or--is there street parking readily available in University City in the first place? I'm debating over whether or not to bring my car.

Also, when do 1L fall schedules usually get posted on Penn InTouch (or whatever it's called)?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue May 24, 2011 11:48 am

c_dubya_s wrote:
monarchylover wrote:is University city uber ghetto also if you park on the street will peeps mess up your car?

Or--is there street parking readily available in University City in the first place? I'm debating over whether or not to bring my car.

Also, when do 1L fall schedules usually get posted on Penn InTouch (or whatever it's called)?

Depends on how far you are away from the school. Generally you can find parking but not always in front of your place.

They said 1L schedule will be ready later in the summer, and it could be different than last year's. You can find last year's on the goat but they told me not to use that as a guide.

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Wed May 25, 2011 9:57 am

monarchylover wrote:is University city uber ghetto

Yes. University City is the ghetto. It is very dangerous there, and you should feel threatened every time you walk down the street.

Core

Postby Core » Wed May 25, 2011 10:04 am

johnnyutah wrote:

Yes. University City is the ghetto. It is very dangerous there, and you should feel threatened every time you walk down the street.

TITCR.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed May 25, 2011 3:17 pm

johnnyutah wrote:

You probably shouldn't think about walking down the street at all.

damage-inc

Postby damage-inc » Thu May 26, 2011 10:41 pm

Any comments/experiences with 2400 chestnut?

reasonable to walk over to and back from campus when the weather is good?

Georgiana

Postby Georgiana » Thu May 26, 2011 11:07 pm

damage-inc wrote:Any comments/experiences with 2400 chestnut?

reasonable to walk over to and back from campus when the weather is good?

I have friends there... it's a good choice for people who don't have time to visit to look at apartments but a lot of people move out after 1L. Its convenient for school (10 min walk and they have a shuttle) but not super convenient for anything else. The apartments are nice enough and laundry is free but not in your apartment (they have it on every floor though). Electric runs high. Doormen are supposed to be really nice and the gym is nice.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”