Penn Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
kurla88

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby kurla88 » Sat May 07, 2011 11:41 am

pereira6 wrote:
Veyron wrote:Penn 2L, taking questions.

Georgiana wrote:Penn Alumnus? Me? Really? THANK GOD :)

Congrats fellow Quakers!

I don't think I have ever heard anyone say this in real life. However, perhaps it needs to be a thing. I approve.

Newly a 3L, which I think is the most exciting thing to be. \o/

Re: jobs, 2012 might be doing better, but it's still hard out there for a pimp. However, that's just the way things are, and going to a different school cannot insulate against joblessness either, so.

pereira6

Postby pereira6 » Sat May 07, 2011 12:18 pm

kurla88 wrote:
pereira6 wrote:
Congrats fellow Quakers!

I don't think I have ever heard anyone say this in real life. However, perhaps it needs to be a thing. I approve.

Re: jobs, 2012 might be doing better, but it's still hard out there for a pimp. However, that's just the way things are, and going to a different school cannot insulate against joblessness either, so.

I'm big on sports and school spirit and all that crap so I'm gonna rep the Quaker name the best I can haha

Not exactly the most intimidating team name, but if I'm gonna be a Quaker, I'M GONNA BE A QUAKER

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sat May 07, 2011 3:02 pm

pereira6 wrote:
kurla88 wrote:
pereira6 wrote:
Congrats fellow Quakers!

I'm big on sports and school spirit and all that crap so I'm gonna rep the Quaker name the best I can haha

Not exactly the most intimidating team name, but if I'm gonna be a Quaker, I'M GONNA BE A QUAKER

*Cough, a fighting quaker*

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Sat May 07, 2011 3:58 pm

kurla88 wrote:Re: jobs, 2012 might be doing better, but it's still hard out there for a pimp. However, that's just the way things are, and going to a different school cannot insulate against joblessness either, so.

True, kurla. One of my friends who just finished at Columbia Law is getting ready to move back home with her parents because she is unemployed :cry: :cry:

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sat May 07, 2011 4:15 pm

johnnyutah wrote:
kurla88 wrote:Re: jobs, 2012 might be doing better, but it's still hard out there for a pimp. However, that's just the way things are, and going to a different school cannot insulate against joblessness either, so.

True, kurla. One of my friends who just finished at Columbia Law is getting ready to move back home with her parents because she is unemployed :cry: :cry:

Do schools publish employment numbers at graduation? I hope many without offers will get jobs soon.

Congrats on getting a job! So you are actually doing better than many ;) even with all the doom and gloom!

beebee18

Postby beebee18 » Sat May 07, 2011 5:48 pm

Does anybody know anything about living in the Left Bank? How clean is it?

Georgiana

Postby Georgiana » Sat May 07, 2011 5:53 pm

beebee18 wrote:Does anybody know anything about living in the Left Bank? How clean is it?

I have a friend there who lives on the 5th floor and hasn't had any "cleanliness" problems (no pests or anything like that). That said, the management isn't great and the prices are pretty high.

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Sat May 07, 2011 8:13 pm

Has Penn given out c/o 2011 numbers yet? I know some schools have released it to students.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sat May 07, 2011 8:36 pm

FiveSermon wrote:Has Penn given out c/o 2011 numbers yet? I know some schools have released it to students.

2012? They released them the moment that 1L final exams ended, no joke. It was our graduation present.

Unfortunately, as initiates to the mystery, we are sworn to secrecy.

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Sun May 08, 2011 12:12 pm

r6_philly wrote:
johnnyutah wrote:

Do schools publish employment numbers at graduation? I hope many without offers will get jobs soon.

Congrats on getting a job! So you are actually doing better than many ;) even with all the doom and gloom!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Mon May 09, 2011 11:46 pm

Hey,

Do any of you guys know if the legal history consortium still does a speaker series? All the info on their site is pretty old. On that note it seems like a good deal of info on the penn site in general is kinda old. I don't mind at all I'm just kinda worried I'm going to talk about something in my LOCI that doesn't exist anymore. Thank you very much in advance.

Georgiana

Postby Georgiana » Tue May 10, 2011 11:00 am

FlanAl wrote:Hey,

Do any of you guys know if the legal history consortium still does a speaker series? All the info on their site is pretty old. On that note it seems like a good deal of info on the penn site in general is kinda old. I don't mind at all I'm just kinda worried I'm going to talk about something in my LOCI that doesn't exist anymore. Thank you very much in advance.

http://www.law.upenn.edu/legalhistory/c ... 2010_1.pdf

On a broader note: They're redesigning the website for launch in the next year (I didn't focus in on the actual date bc it wasn't relevant to me lol) so things should be updated and much improved by then :)

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue May 10, 2011 11:36 am

Georgiana wrote:On a broader note: They're redesigning the website for launch in the next year (I didn't focus in on the actual date bc it wasn't relevant to me lol) so things should be updated and much improved by then :)

They are soliciting design comments right now, I think this or next week. I have no idea what is the production schedule but should be done before the next cycle? I will volunteer to work on it going forward if they have the need.

Georgiana

Postby Georgiana » Tue May 10, 2011 11:40 am

r6_philly wrote:
Georgiana wrote:On a broader note: They're redesigning the website for launch in the next year (I didn't focus in on the actual date bc it wasn't relevant to me lol) so things should be updated and much improved by then :)

They are soliciting design comments right now, I think this or next week. I have no idea what is the production schedule but should be done before the next cycle? I will volunteer to work on it going forward if they have the need.

Found the email...
Joan Rose wrote:It’s been nearly 10 years since Penn Law created our current website. Even with a few tweaks along the way, that makes our website about the age of the dinosaurs (in web years, that is). It’s time for change …

And so, we are beginning a process to totally revamp the Penn Law website, from improved navigation to cutting-edge design. After a national search, we are pleased to announce that White Whale, a California-based firm, will design the new site, which our ITS department will implement over the summer and fall. Our goal is to launch the new site in early 2012.

When the new site launches, the Goat Intranet will be no longer; instead, the present Intranet content will be integrated within the external site, eliminating the need for similar content in two places – and more importantly, making it possible for us to share more information about our programs and services with our external audiences. We will, of course, maintain password-protected areas where appropriate in the new site.

Developing a new website is a lot of work and involves a lot of people – including you. Your input is key, so we are scheduling a meeting with White Whale just for students.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Tue May 10, 2011 5:31 pm

Georgiana wrote:

On a broader note: They're redesigning the website for launch in the next year (I didn't focus in on the actual date bc it wasn't relevant to me lol) so things should be updated and much improved by then :)

hey the date on what you sent me is from last summer haha. i'm going to guess its still around though. thanks!

Georgiana

Postby Georgiana » Tue May 10, 2011 5:40 pm

FlanAl wrote:
Georgiana wrote:

hey the date on what you sent me is from last summer haha. i'm going to guess its still around though. thanks!

Right... which was a lot more recent than the 2008/9 I was seeing before... And the person who looked like they were in charge (Sarah Barringer Gordon) is still very much active at the law school so it doesn't seem like expressing an interest in legal history would implicate something that doesn't exist.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Tue May 10, 2011 5:42 pm

awesome thanks again for your help!

sfxx

Postby sfxx » Tue May 10, 2011 6:57 pm

Do you guys ever interact with the MBA students around campus?

run26.2

Postby run26.2 » Tue May 10, 2011 8:07 pm

FlanAl wrote:awesome thanks again for your help!

You could also phrase it with some ambiguity, as in "I would like to help raise the profile of ..." or something along those lines. Not the best wording, but you get the idea.

Georgiana

Postby Georgiana » Tue May 10, 2011 9:02 pm

sfxx wrote:Do you guys ever interact with the MBA students around campus?

Depends on if you want to :wink:

The grad program people host some inter-program mixers and the law kids will often put a law/MBA mixer together along the lines of a bar review night, making friends with a JD/MBA will obviously get you more in contact with MBAers, a lot of people take classes at Wharton, and some people are just really good at making friends. There's nothing stopping you from finding/socializing with them.

underachiever

Postby underachiever » Sun May 15, 2011 8:56 am

Yes and no. I do b/c I have been taking classes at Wharton and there are always some JD/MBA folks who kind of cross pollinate b/t the groups, I am friends with a few so I have been at parties/events w/ the 2 groups mixing. Really its up to you to do it, they are mostly older/ less intense then law students

Lermontov

Postby Lermontov » Sun May 15, 2011 10:14 am

Georgiana wrote:
FlanAl wrote:
Georgiana wrote:

Right... which was a lot more recent than the 2008/9 I was seeing before... And the person who looked like they were in charge (Sarah Barringer Gordon) is still very much active at the law school so it doesn't seem like expressing an interest in legal history would implicate something that doesn't exist.

This is a little on the old side now, so you've probably already sent your letter in, but I just wanted to let you know so that you've got all the info when it comes to actually making a decision. Gordon's going on sabbatical next year, so if she's the prime mover it might have a lull next year (which might be why you couldn't find a schedule for upcoming stuff?). That said though, she will be back for your 2L and 3L years, when you would probably be more inclined to actually do stuff like that.

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Sun May 15, 2011 10:30 am

I don't.

gbpackerbacker

Postby gbpackerbacker » Mon May 16, 2011 1:08 am

What pharmacy is closest to campus?

Edit: Is there a Walgreens within walking distance of the university?

marija

Postby marija » Mon May 16, 2011 3:02 am

gbpackerbacker wrote:What pharmacy is closest to campus?

Edit: Is there a Walgreens within walking distance of the university?

There's a CVS <30 seconds away from the law school.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=walgreens+near+340 ... phia%2C+pa

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”