Penn Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
r6_philly

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby r6_philly » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:52 am

Veyron wrote:You're having a bad reading comprehension day. Now you're insisting that jokes must have points. Infant must be tiring you out :wink: .

Actually you are having a bad RC day. That wasn't a question ;)

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:56 am

r6_philly wrote:
Veyron wrote:You're having a bad reading comprehension day. Now you're insisting that jokes must have points. Infant must be tiring you out :wink: .

Y so serious?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:58 am

Veyron wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

Y so serious?

Y u trying to make a point out of a joke now ;)

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:04 am

r6_philly wrote:
Veyron wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

Y so serious?

Y u trying to make a point out of a joke now ;)

Damn, I hadn't even thought of it like that. This takes me back to the way my Civ-Pro exam was graded ("yes professor. . . er R6, that's EXACTLY what I meant!")

I think I need some sleep.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:10 am

Veyron wrote:I think I need some sleep.

According to your schedule, you have 50 more minutes of outlining left! No sleep for you!

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:32 am

r6_philly wrote:
Veyron wrote:I think I need some sleep.

According to your schedule, you have 50 more minutes of outlining left! No sleep for you!

I didn't say I was GOING to sleep, I said merely that I need it.

I am NOT going to bed until I outline thru chapter 8 DAMNIT!

Georgiana

Postby Georgiana » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:37 am

New day... more interesting topics please? :) Watching you guys fight about individual capabilities gets old.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:36 pm

Georgiana wrote:New day... more interesting topics please? :) Watching you guys fight about individual capabilities gets old.

We are not really fighting :)

supahstahxruv

Postby supahstahxruv » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:45 pm

the only thing i got out of this entire convo was that legal writing might be graded next year?

absolutazn87

Postby absolutazn87 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:57 pm

supahstahxruv wrote:the only thing i got out of this entire convo was that legal writing might be graded next year?

yeah that was a rumor i heard at asw...tho i think it's only if they switched to 3 doctrinal classes instead of the current 4. anyone know anything more about this like if it's gonna happen?

TLSNYC

Postby TLSNYC » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:09 pm

absolutazn87 wrote:
supahstahxruv wrote:the only thing i got out of this entire convo was that legal writing might be graded next year?

yeah that was a rumor i heard at asw...tho i think it's only if they switched to 3 doctrinal classes instead of the current 4. anyone know anything more about this like if it's gonna happen?

When I met Bayrex, he didn't mention that LRW would become graded, which would totally suck. Instead, he said that we would just lose one elective in the spring, so that one doctrinal class gets moved from fall to spring. Of course, LRW could get graded and he could just have conveniently left that detail out since he was trying to sell Penn to me at the time.

Also, do all 1Ls always take the same four classes in the fall - torts, civ pro, contracts, and property?

lolok

Postby lolok » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:14 pm

Nothing really to add except that I heard the graded lrw rumor too. But I asked the director of the writing program point-blank about it and she said she hadn't heard anything about moving to graded legal writing...so take that for what it's worth

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:14 pm

TLSNYC wrote:
absolutazn87 wrote:

When I met Bayrex, he didn't mention that LRW would become graded, which would totally suck. Instead, he said that we would just lose one elective in the spring, so that one doctrinal class gets moved from fall to spring. Of course, LRW could get graded and he could just have conveniently left that detail out since he was trying to sell Penn to me at the time.

Also, do all 1Ls always take the same four classes in the fall - torts, civ pro, contracts, and property?

Yes.

TLSNYC

Postby TLSNYC » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:17 pm

Veyron wrote:
TLSNYC wrote:
absolutazn87 wrote:

Yes.

Ah, gotcha. I kind of wish Con law and crim were in the fall. They're the two that I could see myself enjoying more and doing better with, and what better way to start law school, right? In any case, two electives in the spring is a nice touch -- I feel like it gives you a good chance to boost the GPA before OCI.

run26.2

Postby run26.2 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:22 pm

TLSNYC wrote:
absolutazn87 wrote:

I transferred to Penn, but my old school had a graded legal writing program. My opinion is that grading the program makes much more sense. As you gain exposure to the work product produced by attorneys, you realize how much of it is very poor quality. Most people do not view LRW as a class that has much value, but I think it is one of the most valuable courses. An ungraded LRW essentially results in students not taking the class very seriously (I talked to 1Ls that were not working hard on it because it was not graded) and therefore not get as much out of it as they otherwise would. Some will, but most won't. So maybe it is not a bad thing to have it as a graded class.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:23 pm

[/quote]

Ah, gotcha. I kind of wish Con law and crim were in the fall. They're the two that I could see myself enjoying more and doing better with, and what better way to start law school, right? In any case, two electives in the spring is a nice touch -- I feel like it gives you a good chance to boost the GPA before OCI.[/quote]

Yes, second semester is about 1000X more fun. Also, at least our section saved the really good professors for second semester.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:47 pm

run26.2 wrote:I transferred to Penn, but my old school had a graded legal writing program. My opinion is that grading the program makes much more sense. As you gain exposure to the work product produced by attorneys, you realize how much of it is very poor quality. Most people do not view LRW as a class that has much value, but I think it is one of the most valuable courses. An ungraded LRW essentially results in students not taking the class very seriously (I talked to 1Ls that were not working hard on it because it was not graded) and therefore not get as much out of it as they otherwise would. Some will, but most won't. So maybe it is not a bad thing to have it as a graded class.

I agree with the reasoning. Although I would be just as happy taking it ungraded. I think it's better graded, if you can get a good grade (obviously).

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:08 pm

r6_philly wrote:
run26.2 wrote:I transferred to Penn, but my old school had a graded legal writing program. My opinion is that grading the program makes much more sense. As you gain exposure to the work product produced by attorneys, you realize how much of it is very poor quality. Most people do not view LRW as a class that has much value, but I think it is one of the most valuable courses. An ungraded LRW essentially results in students not taking the class very seriously (I talked to 1Ls that were not working hard on it because it was not graded) and therefore not get as much out of it as they otherwise would. Some will, but most won't. So maybe it is not a bad thing to have it as a graded class.

I agree with the reasoning. Although I would be just as happy taking it ungraded. I think it's better graded, if you can get a good grade (obviously).

You'll get a better education if its graded, but firms are much more likely to ding median kids in legal writing than kids who are median in doctrinal classes. It would kinda screw up the whole non-competitiveness thing.

run26.2

Postby run26.2 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:19 pm

Veyron wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

You'll get a better education if its graded, but firms are much more likely to ding median kids in legal writing than kids who are median in doctrinal classes. It would kinda screw up the whole non-competitiveness thing.

How can you make this statement? What information are you basing it on?

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:24 pm

run26.2 wrote:
Veyron wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

How can you make this statement? What information are you basing it on?

Magic, puppy dogs, conversations with TAs and lawyers.

If you disagree, it would probably be more productive to just say why. Though, if you transferred from a lower ranked school, I can see how graded legal writing would be an advantage from your perspective since it allows the solid students to really distinguish themselves from the unwashed masses.

run26.2

Postby run26.2 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:36 pm

Veyron wrote:Magic, puppy dogs, conversations with TAs and lawyers.

If you disagree, it would probably be more productive to just say why. Though, if you transferred from a lower ranked school, I can see how graded legal writing would be an advantage from your perspective since it allows the solid students to really distinguish themselves from the unwashed masses.

If firms were much more likely to ding someone at median in LRW, this would imply that fewer Penn students would find firm positions at OCI. I just do not see that happening. Slightly more likely to ding - perhaps. Much more likely, i disagree. I think your point MIGHT be valid if tempered a bit.

run26.2

Postby run26.2 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:42 pm

To counter your point, I had good options for 1L summer despite being median in my legal writing program. I don't think the grade reflected the quality of my writing, however. But the fact that it was graded prompted me to put in additional effort and to improve my writing considerably.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:33 pm

run26.2 wrote:

If firms were much more likely to ding someone at median in LRW, this would imply that fewer Penn students would find firm positions at OCI. I just do not see that happening. Slightly more likely to ding - perhaps. Much more likely, i disagree. I think your point MIGHT be valid if tempered a bit.

Fair enough, but certainly more likely to ding for that than median in any other class, which is why it isn't graded in the first place.

beebee18

Postby beebee18 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:04 am

I have a question about job prospects...

What happens to students that preform poorly and are at the bottom of their class? Do they get summer jobs and jobs after graduation? What kind of jobs?

Georgiana

Postby Georgiana » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:35 am

Veyron wrote:
TLSNYC wrote:Also, do all 1Ls always take the same four classes in the fall - torts, civ pro, contracts, and property?

Yes.

NO!

At least not my year... Section 1 had Crim instead of Prop.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”