Penn Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
Georgiana
Posts: 647
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:42 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby Georgiana » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:52 pm

tipler4213 wrote:Georgiana, thank you so much for all the help. I have been searching pretty hard and am pretty committed to Center City (scared of the undergrad parties during exam time). However, I noticed that the student budget breaks down to around $1500 a month for "room and board"--so, that includes food, utilities, etc. Most one bedrooms break down to about $1500 a month (2400 Chesnut, Sterling, Chathum).

Would these be too expensive for someone who will be sharing a one bedroom? My girlfriend will be going to the graduate school there, and we are worried about budgeting. Anyone can chime in.

I live with my boyfriend and our rent is $1650. We each put aside 1300ish per month in a joint checking account for joint expenses (we thought long and hard about what would be the best way to deal with joint expenses without having to nickel and dime each other each month). We have Comcast which runs about $99/month and our gas bill is about $10-15. Other than that we have food and any joint travel expenses (e.g. a car rental for the day). We go out to nice restaurants a bit too much but its something we really enjoy, and the rest of our cooking is done cheaply and with a ton of leftovers for lunch which saves money. Any thing left at the end of the month goes into the savings account we have that was set up with the checking which is slated for spending money during the bar trip we're planning for August.

As far as what people living alone do, they either get Penn to increase their budget so they can get more loan money (which is surprisingly easy to do) or they live in less desirable apartments or in studios.

User avatar
dabomb75
Posts: 376
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:56 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby dabomb75 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:38 pm

so I just reached philadelphia and went and checked out Domus and 2400 Chestnut today. A couple things I realized:

1) No way in hell would I feel comfortable paying the kind of prices Domus costs (no matter how nice it was, which it deeefinitely was). 2400 chestnut seemed pretty solid in terms of price on the other hand.

2) distance to campus is super important for me. Apparently today was a "pretty good" weather day and I still felt miserable walking more than 5 or 6 blocks in the cold and rain. In the dead of winter I know that more than 10 minutes walking = me never going to class.

So based on that information, are there an apartments at 2400 chestnut-like prices (~1k/person for a 2 bedroom appt) while still being less than 10-15 minutes of walking to campus. As of now 2400 Chestnut is looking like the best option for me.

User avatar
YK5115
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:30 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby YK5115 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:59 am

Hello Penn Law people. I googled that you have an ice-hockey team. Could you get me in touch with somebody from the team? I will study at Penn for a year on the LLM program, and I would love to have an opportunity to play ice hockey with the law school fellows. I would like to find out whether I should take my equipment to Philly. Thanks.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby r6_philly » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:26 am

YK5115 wrote:Hello Penn Law people. I googled that you have an ice-hockey team. Could you get me in touch with somebody from the team? I will study at Penn for a year on the LLM program, and I would love to have an opportunity to play ice hockey with the law school fellows. I would like to find out whether I should take my equipment to Philly. Thanks.


I will find this out for you tomorrow. I used to play open hockey/men's league games with them like 10 years back. I played with the Wharton's team too. I want to start playing again this coming winter. The rink opens late Sept and closes in March, Penn has a league anyway so you can play regardless.

User avatar
Georgiana
Posts: 647
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:42 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby Georgiana » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:12 am

dabomb75 wrote:so I just reached philadelphia and went and checked out Domus and 2400 Chestnut today. A couple things I realized:

1) No way in hell would I feel comfortable paying the kind of prices Domus costs (no matter how nice it was, which it deeefinitely was). 2400 chestnut seemed pretty solid in terms of price on the other hand.

2) distance to campus is super important for me. Apparently today was a "pretty good" weather day and I still felt miserable walking more than 5 or 6 blocks in the cold and rain. In the dead of winter I know that more than 10 minutes walking = me never going to class.

So based on that information, are there an apartments at 2400 chestnut-like prices (~1k/person for a 2 bedroom appt) while still being less than 10-15 minutes of walking to campus. As of now 2400 Chestnut is looking like the best option for me.

I agree with the domus prices complaint.... goodness are they expensive!

2400 does have a shuttle that runs pretty frequently that will take you too school and pick you up (call them for the exact hours of this). I do know that they pick up at 34th and chestnut which is where the bus stops.

Left bank and Riverloft are the other two in that general area but both are more expensive than 2400. If you go the other way from school (which I know very little about) theres Hamilton Court, the Axis(? name may have changed), Chestnut Hall, and the Old Quaker (there are definitely more but as I said, I know little about them). Theres also the Radian apartments which is set up a little more like college apartments in that you lease a bedroom and other people lease bedrooms in the same apartments (though I think they do have 1 bedroom apartment options where you wouldn't have to share).

User avatar
Georgiana
Posts: 647
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:42 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby Georgiana » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:17 am

r6_philly wrote:
YK5115 wrote:Hello Penn Law people. I googled that you have an ice-hockey team. Could you get me in touch with somebody from the team? I will study at Penn for a year on the LLM program, and I would love to have an opportunity to play ice hockey with the law school fellows. I would like to find out whether I should take my equipment to Philly. Thanks.


I will find this out for you tomorrow. I used to play open hockey/men's league games with them like 10 years back. I played with the Wharton's team too. I want to start playing again this coming winter. The rink opens late Sept and closes in March, Penn has a league anyway so you can play regardless.

I'm not sure Penn Law's team is active... I don't think there's been an email about it since its inaugural season back in 2008 and only one of the people listed on that email for contact is still at the law school (I don't feel comfortable listing his email for obvious reasons).

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby r6_philly » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:20 am

Georgiana wrote:I'm not sure Penn Law's team is active... I don't think there's been an email about it since its inaugural season back in 2008 and only one of the people listed on that email for contact is still at the law school (I don't feel comfortable listing his email for obvious reasons).


I will do some poking around. This wasn't too high on the list. But even if there is no organized team, people still play on the league teams. Wharton team is active I think I saw them on the schedule. I also kinda remember seeing Penn Law's team on the schedule but it could just be oldman's faulty memory :)

penn0Ler
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:03 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby penn0Ler » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:48 am

Georgiana wrote:
dabomb75 wrote:so I just reached philadelphia and went and checked out Domus and 2400 Chestnut today. A couple things I realized:

1) No way in hell would I feel comfortable paying the kind of prices Domus costs (no matter how nice it was, which it deeefinitely was). 2400 chestnut seemed pretty solid in terms of price on the other hand.

2) distance to campus is super important for me. Apparently today was a "pretty good" weather day and I still felt miserable walking more than 5 or 6 blocks in the cold and rain. In the dead of winter I know that more than 10 minutes walking = me never going to class.

So based on that information, are there an apartments at 2400 chestnut-like prices (~1k/person for a 2 bedroom appt) while still being less than 10-15 minutes of walking to campus. As of now 2400 Chestnut is looking like the best option for me.

I agree with the domus prices complaint.... goodness are they expensive!

2400 does have a shuttle that runs pretty frequently that will take you too school and pick you up (call them for the exact hours of this). I do know that they pick up at 34th and chestnut which is where the bus stops.

Left bank and Riverloft are the other two in that general area but both are more expensive than 2400. If you go the other way from school (which I know very little about) theres Hamilton Court, the Axis(? name may have changed), Chestnut Hall, and the Old Quaker (there are definitely more but as I said, I know little about them). Theres also the Radian apartments which is set up a little more like college apartments in that you lease a bedroom and other people lease bedrooms in the same apartments (though I think they do have 1 bedroom apartment options where you wouldn't have to share).
Last edited by penn0Ler on Wed May 14, 2014 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
DelDad
Posts: 234
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:26 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby DelDad » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:50 am

r6_philly wrote:
Georgiana wrote:I'm not sure Penn Law's team is active... I don't think there's been an email about it since its inaugural season back in 2008 and only one of the people listed on that email for contact is still at the law school (I don't feel comfortable listing his email for obvious reasons).


I will do some poking around. This wasn't too high on the list. But even if there is no organized team, people still play on the league teams. Wharton team is active I think I saw them on the schedule. I also kinda remember seeing Penn Law's team on the schedule but it could just be oldman's faulty memory :)



My co-clerk (Penn Law '10) still plays on the team - I can confirm that it's still active.

User avatar
Georgiana
Posts: 647
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:42 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby Georgiana » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:51 am

DelDad wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Georgiana wrote:I'm not sure Penn Law's team is active... I don't think there's been an email about it since its inaugural season back in 2008 and only one of the people listed on that email for contact is still at the law school (I don't feel comfortable listing his email for obvious reasons).


I will do some poking around. This wasn't too high on the list. But even if there is no organized team, people still play on the league teams. Wharton team is active I think I saw them on the schedule. I also kinda remember seeing Penn Law's team on the schedule but it could just be oldman's faulty memory :)



My co-clerk (Penn Law '10) still plays on the team - I can confirm that it's still active.

Awesome :) Thanks for providing actual knowledge (instead of my random guess :) )

penn0Ler
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:03 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby penn0Ler » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:12 am

Georgiana wrote:
DelDad wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Georgiana wrote:I'm not sure Penn Law's team is active... I don't think there's been an email about it since its inaugural season back in 2008 and only one of the people listed on that email for contact is still at the law school (I don't feel comfortable listing his email for obvious reasons).


I will do some poking around. This wasn't too high on the list. But even if there is no organized team, people still play on the league teams. Wharton team is active I think I saw them on the schedule. I also kinda remember seeing Penn Law's team on the schedule but it could just be oldman's faulty memory :)



My co-clerk (Penn Law '10) still plays on the team - I can confirm that it's still active.

Awesome :) Thanks for providing actual knowledge (instead of my random guess :) )


Is it also true that there's some sort of broomball tournament that takes place each year?

User avatar
YK5115
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:30 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby YK5115 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:52 pm

Thank you for the replies guys. r6_philly special thanks to you, I will be waiting for more info.

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby Veyron » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:07 pm

^ A clone?

User avatar
Georgiana
Posts: 647
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:42 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby Georgiana » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:08 pm

Veyron wrote:^ A clone?

Its a form of flattery :D

User avatar
YK5115
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:30 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby YK5115 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:37 pm

:) I used Wikipedia's logo of Penn. Penn/Flyers combo will look different than yours.
Last edited by YK5115 on Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
achilles
Posts: 160
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:08 am

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby achilles » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:38 pm

I also visited 2400 and Domus today. I could do Domus in a two bedroom on the cheaper end, but the price range is so big, $2700-3400. And the guy at the leasing office said the cheap ones are already gone. And don't forget about the electric, water and $5 trash removal bills!

At this point I'm leaning towards a studio at 2400, which would actually be the same price as the cheapest two bedroom unit at Domus. I practiced the walk to the law school--is it safe at around midnight? It seemed fine once on Drexel's campus but the area near the bridge seemed a little sketchy. Any thoughts?

run26.2
Posts: 896
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:35 am

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby run26.2 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:53 pm

Veyron wrote:^ A clone?

I never thought about it until now but you spent some time on that avatar, I would guess.

carrier
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:11 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby carrier » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:55 pm

Georgiana wrote:I do awesomely awesome pro bono work


Can you expand on that, particularly if it is IP related? (Sorry if this was already answered in the 43 pages of discussion)

Do you have an impression of the IP job market in Philly? Obviously IP is bigger in DC and NYC, so is it slim pickin's in Philadelphia?

Thanks.

User avatar
Georgiana
Posts: 647
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:42 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby Georgiana » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:56 pm

achilles wrote:I also visited 2400 and Domus today. I could do Domus in a two bedroom on the cheaper end, but the price range is so big, $2700-3400. And the guy at the leasing office said the cheap ones are already gone. And don't forget about the electric, water and $5 trash removal bills!

At this point I'm leaning towards a studio at 2400, which would actually be the same price as the cheapest two bedroom unit at Domus. I practiced the walk to the law school--is it safe at around midnight? It seemed fine once on Drexel's campus but the area near the bridge seemed a little sketchy. Any thoughts?

I've done a longer walk than that past midnight (law school-->19th and walnut and left bank-->19th and walnut) and haven't had a problem, but generally I tried to stay in contact with people via phone/gchat on my phone so they'd know if I died :)

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby Veyron » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:57 pm

run26.2 wrote:
Veyron wrote:^ A clone?

I never thought about it until now but you spent some time on that avatar, I would guess.


Why would you guess that, I copied a Penn logo from the internet, nothing simpler.

run26.2
Posts: 896
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:35 am

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby run26.2 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:59 pm

Veyron wrote:
run26.2 wrote:
Veyron wrote:^ A clone?

I never thought about it until now but you spent some time on that avatar, I would guess.


Why would you guess that, I copied a Penn logo from the internet, nothing simpler.

I did not know they had any transparent gifs although it makes sense that they would.

User avatar
Georgiana
Posts: 647
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:42 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby Georgiana » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:05 pm

carrier wrote:
Georgiana wrote:I do awesomely awesome pro bono work


Can you expand on that, particularly if it is IP related? (Sorry if this was already answered in the 43 pages of discussion)

Do you have an impression of the IP job market in Philly? Obviously IP is bigger in DC and NYC, so is it slim pickin's in Philadelphia?

Thanks.

My pro bono has nothing to do with what I'll end up doing in my career (or what I originally thought I would do in my career, namely IP). I work with lower income Philadelphia residents who have custody/support/domestic violence issues and questions. The program runs through Philadelphia Legal Assistance (the less gov. funded sister of Community Legal Services). (If you want more details on that program feel free to PM me or let me know here, but it seems you're more interested in the pro bono market in general) As far as the market for career pro bono people in Philly, I can't say I know too much about it. Several people I work with in pro bono are going that route and it seems to be both harder and easier than the traditional biglaw OCI route. Its harder in that there isn't some huge, easy program like OCI where you expect to get a job and then life is grand for the remaining two years of law school. There are organized pro bono hiring/interview events but these take place much later than OCI for firm jobs. You generally don't have the full time post law school gig locked down until 3L so there's a lot more time to stress. That said, people who want biglaw who fail through OCI have NO idea what to do after that, and the system isn't really made for that since it used to be that failure was uncommon. It's different for pro bono in that you come in knowing that its going to be a bit more legwork to find a job and you know there are fellowships out there that you should be looking into (and generally you made the cost analysis before entering to be sure that the non 160k income could service the debt you were planning to take on). There are a lot of opportunities to do pro bono work in Philly, but I don't know what the job market is like on a personal level because I haven't had to evaluate it.

User avatar
dabomb75
Posts: 376
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:56 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby dabomb75 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:33 pm

Georgiana wrote:
dabomb75 wrote:so I just reached philadelphia and went and checked out Domus and 2400 Chestnut today. A couple things I realized:

1) No way in hell would I feel comfortable paying the kind of prices Domus costs (no matter how nice it was, which it deeefinitely was). 2400 chestnut seemed pretty solid in terms of price on the other hand.

2) distance to campus is super important for me. Apparently today was a "pretty good" weather day and I still felt miserable walking more than 5 or 6 blocks in the cold and rain. In the dead of winter I know that more than 10 minutes walking = me never going to class.

So based on that information, are there an apartments at 2400 chestnut-like prices (~1k/person for a 2 bedroom appt) while still being less than 10-15 minutes of walking to campus. As of now 2400 Chestnut is looking like the best option for me.

I agree with the domus prices complaint.... goodness are they expensive!

2400 does have a shuttle that runs pretty frequently that will take you too school and pick you up (call them for the exact hours of this). I do know that they pick up at 34th and chestnut which is where the bus stops.

Left bank and Riverloft are the other two in that general area but both are more expensive than 2400. If you go the other way from school (which I know very little about) theres Hamilton Court, the Axis(? name may have changed), Chestnut Hall, and the Old Quaker (there are definitely more but as I said, I know little about them). Theres also the Radian apartments which is set up a little more like college apartments in that you lease a bedroom and other people lease bedrooms in the same apartments (though I think they do have 1 bedroom apartment options where you wouldn't have to share).


Thanks for the recommendations Georgiana! I went and checked out Left Bank and really liked the place, much more than 2400. Gonna have to look up some reviews and stuff online but as of now I'm down to 2400 chestnut and Left Bank. Gotta decide if the extra couple of hundred bucks a month is worth it. decisions, decisions...

User avatar
Georgiana
Posts: 647
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:42 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby Georgiana » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:00 pm

dabomb75 wrote:
Georgiana wrote:
dabomb75 wrote:so I just reached philadelphia and went and checked out Domus and 2400 Chestnut today. A couple things I realized:

1) No way in hell would I feel comfortable paying the kind of prices Domus costs (no matter how nice it was, which it deeefinitely was). 2400 chestnut seemed pretty solid in terms of price on the other hand.

2) distance to campus is super important for me. Apparently today was a "pretty good" weather day and I still felt miserable walking more than 5 or 6 blocks in the cold and rain. In the dead of winter I know that more than 10 minutes walking = me never going to class.

So based on that information, are there an apartments at 2400 chestnut-like prices (~1k/person for a 2 bedroom appt) while still being less than 10-15 minutes of walking to campus. As of now 2400 Chestnut is looking like the best option for me.

I agree with the domus prices complaint.... goodness are they expensive!

2400 does have a shuttle that runs pretty frequently that will take you too school and pick you up (call them for the exact hours of this). I do know that they pick up at 34th and chestnut which is where the bus stops.

Left bank and Riverloft are the other two in that general area but both are more expensive than 2400. If you go the other way from school (which I know very little about) theres Hamilton Court, the Axis(? name may have changed), Chestnut Hall, and the Old Quaker (there are definitely more but as I said, I know little about them). Theres also the Radian apartments which is set up a little more like college apartments in that you lease a bedroom and other people lease bedrooms in the same apartments (though I think they do have 1 bedroom apartment options where you wouldn't have to share).


Thanks for the recommendations Georgiana! I went and checked out Left Bank and really liked the place, much more than 2400. Gonna have to look up some reviews and stuff online but as of now I'm down to 2400 chestnut and Left Bank. Gotta decide if the extra couple of hundred bucks a month is worth it. decisions, decisions...


No problem! One of my LS BFFs lives in LB and moved there from 2400, so I've spent time in both and I can't say there's THAT much of a difference (at least not enough to justify more than $100-200 in rent imo).

User avatar
johnnyutah
Posts: 1709
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:00 pm

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Postby johnnyutah » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:55 am

You guys should also keep in mind that you can find a studio in West Philly within half an hour walking distance of the law school for between $500 and $700 per month.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: General_Tso and 4 guests