Penn Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
violaboy

Bronze

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Post by violaboy » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:37 pm

Awesome, thanks for the help. When I was there, I didn't see the subway. How much do they cost? And how early/late do they run? Also, where is a good site to look for apartments, etc?

violaboy

Bronze

Post by violaboy » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:38 pm

kurla88 wrote:
violaboy wrote:I will have furniture, etc. and want a year-round place. Powelton looks nice. Assuming that CC is City Center, I probably don't want to live over there unless there's a direct bus or subway line. And UC is University City? Where does that entail exactly? Also, is there a subway in Philly?
Depending on where you live in CC, you can probably walk/bike to school. I'm on the UC/CC border, technically in CC, and it takes me less than 15 minutes to walk. There's also trolleys and such if you're a little farther away, but I don't know too much about them.
Do you live across the river?

kurla88

Bronze

Post by kurla88 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:48 pm

violaboy wrote:
kurla88 wrote:
violaboy wrote:I will have furniture, etc. and want a year-round place. Powelton looks nice. Assuming that CC is City Center, I probably don't want to live over there unless there's a direct bus or subway line. And UC is University City? Where does that entail exactly? Also, is there a subway in Philly?
Depending on where you live in CC, you can probably walk/bike to school. I'm on the UC/CC border, technically in CC, and it takes me less than 15 minutes to walk. There's also trolleys and such if you're a little farther away, but I don't know too much about them.
Yup.

SEPTA generally costs $2 per trip, you can get a student pass if you're going to use it every day, though it's not that much cheaper.

I remember using 4wallsinphilly.com a lot... I basically did a ton of insane googling and searching and then ended up signing at the last minute with a place I'd never visited. :P If you look on the Penn site there's a ton of helpful links to get you started, and Wharton has apartment reviews.
Last edited by kurla88 on Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

violaboy

Bronze

Post by violaboy » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:51 pm

kurla88 wrote:
violaboy wrote:
kurla88 wrote:
Yup.
Is it safe to walk all around there at night?

kurla88

Bronze

Post by kurla88 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:52 pm

violaboy wrote:
kurla88 wrote:
violaboy wrote:
kurla88 wrote:
Yup.
Is it safe to walk all around there at night?
Eh, some people don't think so, but I think it's fine, and I'm an average-sized girl. It's pretty well-lit where I walk. There's also the free Penn shuttle that runs in the evening, but it has pretty limited routes.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

violaboy

Bronze

Post by violaboy » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:54 pm

Okay. Well, I'm from Chicago, but have been in a suburban school with no crime. And I was comfortable walking around Manhattan at 2am, so I think I'll be fine.

SpaceDawg

Bronze

Post by SpaceDawg » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:57 pm

Craigslist is also great for Philadelphia.

violaboy

Bronze

Post by violaboy » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:04 pm

SpaceDawg wrote:Craigslist is also great for Philadelphia.
Cool

Is there anything through the law school? I may go City Center. I'm almost positive I'll be going :)

riccardo426

New

Post by riccardo426 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:47 pm

As a 1L I'd say it seems the plurality of people live between 20th and 24th streets (Center City). I live in this area and have a 15-20 minute walk to campus. It's very safe with generally a lot of people. I like being able to bump into classmates at the cafes and restaurants around here.

The walk across the Walnut Street bridge will also start getting better - Penn is opening a public park at 30th and Walnut in 2011, and hopefully a year or two later will be opening two (400-600 foot IIRC) skyscrapers.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

violaboy

Bronze

Post by violaboy » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:28 pm

Thanks for the info guys. I'm really excited about Philly. When I went a year ago, I found it to be prettier and nicer than I had expected. So, we'll see if I end up there!

riccardo426

New

Post by riccardo426 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:06 pm

violaboy wrote: I'm really excited about Philly. When I went a year ago, I found it to be prettier and nicer than I had expected.
Spread the word! We get such a bad rap all the time....

biggamejames

Bronze

Post by biggamejames » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:19 pm

violaboy wrote:Is it safe to walk all around there at night?
Dude, it's Center City and you're a boy. The main thing you have to worry about is getting struck by lightning.

Georgiana

Silver

Post by Georgiana » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:23 pm

biggamejames wrote:
Dude, it's Center City and you're a boy. The main thing you have to worry about is getting struck by lightning.
Or getting covered in 2 feet of snow?

Yay to us being done with finals!!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

biggamejames

Bronze

Post by biggamejames » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:25 pm

Georgiana wrote:
biggamejames wrote:

Seriously. I pulled an all nighter last night for my 24 hour take-home. That sucked. You going home or sticking around the city?

Georgiana

Silver

Post by Georgiana » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:09 pm

biggamejames wrote:
Georgiana wrote:
biggamejames wrote:

Seriously. I pulled an all nighter last night for my 24 hour take-home. That sucked. You going home or sticking around the city?
Yea, I had two 24 hour take homes after my in class exams ended the 17th. Exams this semester hardcore sucked, if I have a B+ avg ill be surprised.

I fly out early early tomorrow and I'm coming back the 5th. Can't wait to leave the city for a bit even tho going home is super boring. How about you?

violaboy

Bronze

Post by violaboy » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:40 pm

biggamejames wrote:
Lol. Thanks :) After I wrote that, I remember that I used to live in South America and walk through the Bronx unafraid.

Georgiana

Silver

Post by Georgiana » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:44 pm

violaboy wrote:
biggamejames wrote:
Lol. Thanks :) After I wrote that, I remember that I used to live in South America and walk through the Bronx unafraid.
I'm very much NOT a guy... and I was worried about walking in Philly at night before moving here. There are a few places I won't go, but I've walked from the law school to my apt in CC at 2am before without any incident. Its really nothing to worry about, just be alert :)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

violaboy

Bronze

Post by violaboy » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:55 pm

Georgiana wrote:
violaboy wrote:
I'm very much NOT a guy... and I was worried about walking in Philly at night before moving here. There are a few places I won't go, but I've walked from the law school to my apt in CC at 2am before without any incident. Its really nothing to worry about, just be alert :)
Yeah, I don't think it'll be a problem. I just haven't lived in a big city for a while.

kurla88

Bronze

Post by kurla88 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:58 pm

SO excited to be done my first semester! :D If 0Ls have questions, I (and everyone) have more time to answer them now, with a whole semester's worth of experience, lol.

DelDad

Bronze

Post by DelDad » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:56 pm

Congrats Kurla88!

Had a Negotiations final today that had to be the most random set of multiple choice questions I've ever encountered. Glad to be done and home playing video games with my son. :)

ashleigh

New

Post by ashleigh » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:10 pm

hi everyone!

I had a quick question that I posted elsewhere but realized I probably should have asked here:

is it relatively easy to take non-law classes in other departments or even just rec classes (dance, yoga, basketweaving, etc.)?

I know some other schools can be a little strict about what other classes you can take, was wondering what penn's policy was.

thanks so much!

PS. I haven't worked my way through the other 9 pages of posts here yet, so if this has already been answered, I'm so sorry!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

CCA

New

Post by CCA » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:03 pm

In response to the question on classes out of the law school, this is from our internal website:

Guidelines for enrolling in non-Law courses:

J.D. candidates may receive credit for up to 12 semester hours of graduate level courses taken at the University during their combined 2L and 3L years. (Students taking more than 12 semester hours will be charged a course overload fee of $4,160 per course and the add'l credits will *NOT* count toward graduation.) All joint degree students will be subject to a nominal administrative fee. Courses must be relevant to your legal education and must be of sufficient academic rigor to meet the exacting standards of law school education at Penn.
The course must be a graduate level course (normally 500 level or higher). The Law School does not grant credit for introductory language study.
The decision about granting credit for non-Law courses is made by Associate Dean for Student Affairs. Accordingly, all students must complete an application and have that application approved by the Associate Dean for Student affairs before registering for non-Law courses.
It is important to note that in no case will a student be permitted to take more than two non-law courses in a given semester.

MC Southstar

Silver

Post by MC Southstar » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:12 pm

Bars?

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:14 pm

Anyone have any good info about how Penn places on the West Coast relative to Mich and NYU?

ashleigh

New

Post by ashleigh » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:16 pm

CCA wrote:In response to the question on classes out of the law school, this is from our internal website:

Guidelines for enrolling in non-Law courses:

J.D. candidates may receive credit for up to 12 semester hours of graduate level courses taken at the University during their combined 2L and 3L years. (Students taking more than 12 semester hours will be charged a course overload fee of $4,160 per course and the add'l credits will *NOT* count toward graduation.) All joint degree students will be subject to a nominal administrative fee. <b>Courses must be relevant to your legal education and must be of sufficient academic rigor to meet the exacting standards of law school education at Penn.</b>
The course must be a graduate level course (normally 500 level or higher). The Law School does not grant credit for introductory language study.
The decision about granting credit for non-Law courses is made by Associate Dean for Student Affairs. Accordingly, all students must complete an application and have that application approved by the Associate Dean for Student affairs before registering for non-Law courses.
It is important to note that in no case will a student be permitted to take more than two non-law courses in a given semester.
so is this a "no" to the yoga & basketweaving? :'(

thanks so much, CCA - really appreciate it

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”