Penn Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
r6_philly

Diamond

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Post by r6_philly » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:07 pm

tipler4213 wrote:
Wait--having a Mac is seriously a really bad idea?
My mac can run any PC program from the mac desktop, so no.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:07 pm

tipler4213 wrote:How dumb would it be to work part time 1L year?

I have a great job with a company based in NY and DC. They want me to work part time, mainly doing mobile work during law school. I am intrigued b/c it is with very high ranking former government members, and I want to do government after law school. The money would be nice. The continued connections would be great. But I don't want to screw my grades over.
Only do it if you are SURE you don't want biglaw or any other job that looks at grades (including most good gvmt gigs).

I cannot emphasize how stupid it would be to work 1L year even if you could get away with it. I pulled 100 hr + weeks my first semester just between class and school work. Second semester is a bit better but. . .

TL/DR: DUMB, why its FUCKING IDIOTIC
Last edited by Veyron on Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:08 pm

Veyron wrote:

I have a great job with a company based in NY and DC. They want me to work part time, mainly doing mobile work during law school. I am intrigued b/c it is with very high ranking former government members, and I want to do government after law school. The money would be nice. The continued connections would be great. But I don't want to screw my grades over.
Only do it if you are SURE you don't want biglaw or any other job that looks at grades.

I cannot emphasize how stupid it would be to work 1L year even if you could get away with it. I pulled 100 hr + weeks my first semester just between class and school work. Second semester is a bit better but. . . don't be a FUCKING IDIOT you IDIOT (sorry to be so mean, its for your own good).

TL/DR: Don't be a FUCKING IDIOT
you are wrong, but whatever.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:10 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Veyron wrote:

Only do it if you are SURE you don't want biglaw or any other job that looks at grades.

I cannot emphasize how stupid it would be to work 1L year even if you could get away with it. I pulled 100 hr + weeks my first semester just between class and school work. Second semester is a bit better but. . . don't be a FUCKING IDIOT you IDIOT (sorry to be so mean, its for your own good).

Says the 0L :roll:
I mean, any firm that issues you a laptop is going to issue you a PC. You mac people may have some cool workaround but some firms just won't allow Macs to be used at all. Why not get used to it now?

run26.2

Silver

Post by run26.2 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:16 pm

Veyron wrote:
TLSNYC wrote:Couple of quick questions as I look forward to the fall:

1. Are macs compatible with exam software that Penn uses? And I imagine most, if not all, exams are taken on laptops?

This year, for the first time, yes. Still, the legal world runs on PCs (IBM platforms), save yourself some trouble when you start working and swtich now.

2. Are exams generally taken in a big room where everyone brings their laptops or can you take your exam at home? I'm wondering for something of a weird reason -- I have a laptop that isn't 100% dependable and don't want to invest in a new one for a few months, as I generally do most of my work on my desktop at home. I would bring both to law school, but if exams would have to be taken on a laptop, then I'd probably have to reconsider waiting on the laptop.
Some are in-class, some are takehome. Get the new laptop NOW, I cannot empasise this strongly enough. It is so much easier to start loading the software you need from day 1. Also, Lexis Nexis takes MAD processing power. Besides, do you really want to move your files in the middle of the semester.

I'd keep the old laptop as a backup.
True most offices will have PCs, but the important thing is the ability to use Word and/or WordPerfect. You can certainly use Word on a Mac and be perfectly comfortable at school - plenty of people do it. If you clerk and you have to use WordPerfect, you basically are just going to have to get used to it when you get there.

That said, I would familiarize myself with Windows-based operating systems, and Word on those systems, as you probably will be using those in the real world. I actually run a mac with a PC emulator (VMWare Fusion) because I like the office suite better on the PC side but I like the stability of OS X.

Also, what exactly are you talking about Lexis taking "mad processing power?" I'm assuming you are talking about Lexis for Microsoft Office. The Lexis or Westlaw services are obviously hosted remotely, and when used this way do not really consume excessive processing power.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Georgiana

Silver

Post by Georgiana » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:17 pm

r6_philly wrote:

School won't let you.
This might be true (I honestly don't know but I know other schools do "outlaw" it) but I know someone in a similar situation who did work for his prior company during his 1L year (and throughout law school).

I glanced through the policies and didn't notice anything, but I'd look a little more in depth/ask someone.

absolutazn87

Silver

Post by absolutazn87 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:18 pm

tipler4213 wrote: Wait--having a Mac is seriously a really bad idea?
No, macs are fine. I'm bringing my Macbook Air! :D

When I was sitting in on a class, most people had macs. The exam software is totally compatible.

run26.2

Silver

Post by run26.2 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:18 pm

Veyron wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Veyron wrote:

Says the 0L :roll:
I mean, any firm that issues you a laptop is going to issue you a PC. You mac people may have some cool workaround but some firms just won't allow Macs to be used at all. Why not get used to it now?
Dude, you need to leave some room for people that have other capabilities. R6 is pretty prolific. Some people have different bandwidths.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:19 pm

Georgiana wrote: This might be true (I honestly don't know but I know other schools do "outlaw" it) but I know someone in a similar situation who did work for his prior company during his 1L year (and throughout law school).

I glanced through the policies and didn't notice anything, but I'd look a little more in depth/ask someone.
I asked already. Dean of student has to approve it. You would need a compelling reason and convince them it's worth it. Also if you are not expecting a whole lot of income, they try to steer you toward getting a secondary loan to replace the lost income.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Georgiana

Silver

Post by Georgiana » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:21 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Georgiana wrote: This might be true (I honestly don't know but I know other schools do "outlaw" it) but I know someone in a similar situation who did work for his prior company during his 1L year (and throughout law school).

I asked already. Dean of student has to approve it. You would need a compelling reason and convince them it's worth it. Also if you are not expecting a whole lot of income, they try to steer you toward getting a secondary loan to replace the lost income.
Honestly I don't see how they would know about it unless you told them... but maybe thats just me not caring what the law school says anymore :)

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:22 pm

Veyron wrote: Says the 0L :roll:
Let's suppose you did work 100+ hours per week for school work. 100/7 = 14+ hours a day. You mean to say that you fit eating/crapping/showering/commuting/sleeping/resting into 9 hours per day for a whole year?????

Ok dude, I could be a 3 grader instead of 0L to be able to say you are wrong.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:23 pm

Georgiana wrote: Honestly I don't see how they would know about it unless you told them... but maybe thats just me not caring what the law school says anymore :)
I like to respect rules lol

It would be interesting to explain my income when they get my tax forms the next year...

run26.2

Silver

Post by run26.2 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:25 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Georgiana wrote: Honestly I don't see how they would know about it unless you told them... but maybe thats just me not caring what the law school says anymore :)

It would be interesting to explain my income when they get my tax forms the next year...
I think your best bet is to work out an arrangement that gives you flexibility at the outset so you can determine how much time you are going to have. I would also think about letting your employer know up front when the exam season begins and inform them that you are probably going to need to either take that time off entirely or reduce your workload at that time. If the time comes and you don't think you need to do this, then you can keep on working. But if you find yourself needing the extra time to study, your employer will be on notice.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:27 pm

run26.2 wrote: Dude, you need to leave some room for people that have other capabilities. R6 is pretty prolific. Some people have different bandwidths.
Thanks man, some people have a little more common sense. I have already done my research on working (quite a bit of research) and I am pretty sure I can do it with minimal downside. I am not taking the stance of advocating it, but to call people idiots for thinking about it is a bit much.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:31 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Let's suppose you did work 100+ hours per week for school work. 100/7 = 14+ hours a day. You mean to say that you fit eating/crapping/showering/commuting/sleeping/resting into 9 hours per day for a whole year?????

Last 2-3 months of first semster, the answer is yes. Otherwise more like 80hrs/wk. It ammuses me greatly that you don't believe this.

Wake up at 8:30 - shower, get ready, walk to class
School from 9-midafternoon (different timesdepending on the day). Somewhere in here 15 min for lunch, rest of "luch" spent reading
Rest of day, go to library, read and outline. Order dinner in library or go to food court
Take shit, read cases on toilet
11:45, library closes.
12:15-3:00 read myself a bedtime story consisting of Torts cases

Weekends, wake up at 10 read and outline till 3:00am

rinse, repeat. You can see that even given my TLS posting, there is more than enough time in the day for 100 hr weeks.
Dude, you need to leave some room for people that have other capabilities. R6 is pretty prolific. Some people have different bandwidths.
For sure, but any energy you have left over SHOULD be saved for law school. Thats the work that it took me to crack median. If you are more prolific than I am, why not gun for top 10% instead of spending the extra effort working? The ROI is definitely higher.
True most offices will have PCs, but the important thing is the ability to use Word and/or WordPerfect. You can certainly use Word on a Mac and be perfectly comfortable at school - plenty of people do it. If you clerk and you have to use WordPerfect, you basically are just going to have to get used to it when you get there.
In theory, yes. In practice, many IT departments find Macs not to be secure enough to use. Whether this is true or not is irrelevant to you as a lowly associate.
Last edited by Veyron on Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:33 pm

I am fairly sure not everyone puts in so much time. So there is wiggle room for a job for those people. (since I know more than a handful of your classmates)

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:36 pm

r6_philly wrote:I am fairly sure not everyone puts in so much time. So there is wiggle room for a job for those people. (since I know more than a handful of your classmates)
see above Normative judgment, not everyone does but everyone should. If you are more efficient than me, there is no excuse for not aiming for the top of the class.

Also, at least the people I know who did well worked almost as hard (and a lot more efficiently). Law students at Penn like to pretend that they don't work that hard so they look "naturally" smart but that's BS. You'll learn to see thru it.

The ones that really don't work that hard provide nice padding for my grades.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

run26.2

Silver

Post by run26.2 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:39 pm

Veyron wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

Last 2-3 months of first semster, the answer is yes. Otherwise more like 80hrs/wk. It ammuses me greatly that you don't believe this.

School from 9-midafternoon (different timesdepending on the day). Somewhere in here 15 min for lunch, rest of "luch" spent reading
Rest of day, go to library, read and outline. Order dinner in library or go to food court

rinse, repeat. You can see that even given my TLS posting, there is more than enough time in the day for 100 hr weeks.
For sure, but any energy you have left over SHOULD be saved for law school. Thats the work that it took me to crack median. If you are more prolific than I am, why not gun for top 10% instead of spending the extra effort working? The ROI is definitely higher.
In theory, yes. In practice, many IT departments find Macs not to be secure enough to use. Whether this is true or not is irrelevant to you as a lowly associate.
2 things:
1) Maybe you're working too much - try taking more breaks (I did better 2nd semester of 1L year when I committed to getting 7+ hrs of sleep/night)

2) I was not implying that you would use a Mac at your workplace, merely that you could use it in law school while acquiring skills on the PC, which one could easily do by using the workstations around the school

So what were you saying about Lexis taking up all the processing power?

Georgiana

Silver

Post by Georgiana » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:39 pm

r6_philly wrote:

They never got tax forms after applications... you fill out the fafsa each year (which I don't think they scrutinize) but that's it.

But yes, following rules is good, usually.

But you will not be struck down by god/fail 1L if you work a little bit (they let you do pro bono work for goodness sake!)... my friend who worked does in fact have a job and didn't do poorly in 1L (and regularly skipped class as a 2L/3L). Just know whether you're the type of person who can do that or if you're the person who really needs to buckle down 24/7.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:40 pm

No idea, it just takes forever on my computer when I'm doing research and I have a really fast computer. Also, it makes everything else run slow. Maybe its that it takes up a ton of bandwith, not processing power but I sure runs faster on my new computer than on my old one.
1) Maybe you're working too much - try taking more breaks (I did better 2nd semester of 1L year when I committed to getting 7+ hrs of sleep/night)
Almost certainly true, but still, use the extra time for sleep, not work.

tipler4213

Silver

Post by tipler4213 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:42 pm

run26.2 wrote:
Veyron wrote:

1. Are macs compatible with exam software that Penn uses? And I imagine most, if not all, exams are taken on laptops?

This year, for the first time, yes. Still, the legal world runs on PCs (IBM platforms), save yourself some trouble when you start working and swtich now.

2. Are exams generally taken in a big room where everyone brings their laptops or can you take your exam at home? I'm wondering for something of a weird reason -- I have a laptop that isn't 100% dependable and don't want to invest in a new one for a few months, as I generally do most of my work on my desktop at home. I would bring both to law school, but if exams would have to be taken on a laptop, then I'd probably have to reconsider waiting on the laptop.
Some are in-class, some are takehome. Get the new laptop NOW, I cannot empasise this strongly enough. It is so much easier to start loading the software you need from day 1. Also, Lexis Nexis takes MAD processing power. Besides, do you really want to move your files in the middle of the semester.

That said, I would familiarize myself with Windows-based operating systems, and Word on those systems, as you probably will be using those in the real world. I actually run a mac with a PC emulator (VMWare Fusion) because I like the office suite better on the PC side but I like the stability of OS X.

Also, what exactly are you talking about Lexis taking "mad processing power?" I'm assuming you are talking about Lexis for Microsoft Office. The Lexis or Westlaw services are obviously hosted remotely, and when used this way do not really consume excessive processing power.
Its not a matter of getting used to it--I just already have a relatively new macbook. I use Microsoft suite at work and actually have my Mac synced to use outlook, word, etc.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

run26.2

Silver

Post by run26.2 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:43 pm

Veyron wrote:
No idea, it just takes forever on my computer when I'm doing research and I have a really fast computer. Also, it makes everything else run slow. Maybe its that it takes up a ton of bandwith, not processing power but I sure runs faster on my new computer than on my old one.
Do you have a bunch of tabs open? Sometimes that causes slowdowns. Firefox can also be something of a memory hog. Are they both PCs?

run26.2

Silver

Post by run26.2 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:43 pm

tipler4213 wrote:
run26.2 wrote:
Veyron wrote:

Its not a matter of getting used to it--I just already have a relatively new macbook. I use Microsoft suite at work and actually have my Mac synced to use outlook, word, etc.
Then you should be all good!

Georgiana

Silver

Post by Georgiana » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:44 pm

Veyron wrote:

My schedule is/was NEVER anything like this... EVER. EVER. (this may change once I'm working biglaw obv... but even over the summer I had more free time than this!)

That said I was *only* top third after 1L... I don't think I'd trade that schedule for being top 10% (especially knowing what I know now re: my job outcome). Maybe I'd do it to be #1... but you never know if you're #1 bc thats how Penn works :)

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:44 pm

Veyron wrote: For sure, but any energy you have left over SHOULD be saved for law school. Thats the work that it took me to crack median. If you are more prolific than I am, why not gun for top 10% instead of spending the extra effort working? The ROI is definitely higher.
It will be after I spend the energy I have allotted for other things. Maybe I should stop spending time with my kids, or go to the doctors, or visiting family, or ... ?

Other people spend time on other priorities, and no one is trying to work a full-time job or anything. 2-3 hours per day should be able to be spared, especially if you are doing something you have been doing for a long time.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”