Penn Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
PennBull

Diamond

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Post by PennBull » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:19 pm

sopranorleone wrote:
Nickg415 wrote:Hoping some of the current 1Ls and 2Ls can talk about what the 1L SA opportunities are looking like the last couple of years at Upenn. Specifically grade cut-off, location, and duration of the SA.
As a current 1L, I think getting a 1L SA is sort of a crapshoot. I'm estimated in the top 10%, sent out about 90 apps for various SAs, and only got 2 interviews, none of which resulted in an offer. However, both places invited me back for an automatic callback this fall for a 2L SA (but I suspect this is basically standard operating procedure). I think having a connection or being a diversity candidate greatly increases your chances. That said, I think getting a 1L SA is easier at Penn than at many, many other schools.

Edit: I also want to add that I heard that, of the current 2L class, about two dozen or so had 1L SAs. As to duration, I believe that most 1L SAs are just as long as 2L SAs -- unless you request to split your summer and work for another organization or judge.
Yeah I mean it's not like we have a whole lot of stats on this kind of thing, like we do for OCI/2L SAs. In general, nobody should be picking a school based on stats for 1L SAs. They are pretty rare and it usually takes a particular set of circumstances to get them. Some hustle will get you in the door to a lot of places as mentioned. I also recommend trying for SAs in your home market. Maybe even Philadelphia, but that's proving to be tough sometimes even for 2Ls.

annieq

New

Post by annieq » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:40 pm

PennBull wrote:
sopranorleone wrote:
Nickg415 wrote:Hoping some of the current 1Ls and 2Ls can talk about what the 1L SA opportunities are looking like the last couple of years at Upenn. Specifically grade cut-off, location, and duration of the SA.
As a current 1L, I think getting a 1L SA is sort of a crapshoot...

I think having a connection or being a diversity candidate greatly increases your chances. That said, I think getting a 1L SA is easier at Penn than at many, many other schools.
I also recommend trying for SAs in your home market.
I definitely agree that it is a crapshoot. I applied for maybe 20 diversity and/or IP programs at firms (most of which came with scholarship $) and got one phone interview/CB in a smaller market where I had lived/worked prior to law school. So having ties to a region can certainly help.

The SA I got an offer for was through Symplicity, not explicitly for diverse candidates, but it might have made the difference. If you are a diverse candidate, Philadelphia Diversity Law Group (PDLG) is a terrific program through which 1Ls can get SA (or in-house) positions.

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:44 pm

It's not worth worrying about. If you're not diversity, your chances are basically nil.

PennBull

Diamond

Post by PennBull » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:47 pm

Nelson wrote:
It's not worth worrying about. If you're not diversity, your chances are basically nil.
And to re-emphasize, it's not going to get better at different law schools, including Yale.

Penn does have a small spring OCI for 1Ls, though. Some private sector jobs (couple in-house, couple law firms in places like Miami and Wilmington), and they end up hiring a handful of 1Ls.

Nickg415

Bronze

Post by Nickg415 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:55 pm

Yeah I figured as much. Thanks for replying! So if SA are basically not happening for 1Ls how are the majority of students funding their summers? Is it loans or do the majority receive grants?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

PennBull

Diamond

Post by PennBull » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:02 pm

Nickg415 wrote:Yeah I figured as much. Thanks for replying! So if SA are basically not happening for 1Ls how are the majority of students funding their summers? Is it loans or do the majority receive grants?
Most people qualify for a work-study stipend if they're working for public interest/government (like judicial clerkships). There are also secondary sources of funding that we get tons of e-mails about.

SportsFan

Silver

Post by SportsFan » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:46 pm

Nelson wrote:
Just hearsay, but I think people are marginally more likely to get a 1L SA in Texas (if they have very strong ties), to the extant that if I was from Texas I'd probably apply everywhere (but since I'm not, and I'm not diversity, I didn't even bother).

New

Post by 5965 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:58 am

Does anyone heard about the mediation clinic at Penn Law? Also, does Penn offer courses on alternative dispute resolution? Thanks in advance!

PennBull

Diamond

Post by PennBull » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:03 am

5965 wrote:Does anyone heard about the mediation clinic at Penn Law? Also, does Penn offer courses on alternative dispute resolution? Thanks in advance!
Yeah our mediation clinic is one of our most popular ones and I really hope to do it next year. Some really unique client interactions, and fun professors leading it. I'm pretty sure we have an arbitration class, but I forget which semester it was offered.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:59 pm

Nelson wrote:
Don't forget patent eligible folks. Also grades not as big of a deal as OCI. It's about other things. First semester grades don't really say a whole lot

JamesDean1955

Silver

Post by JamesDean1955 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:17 pm

I was going through last year's OCI thread and it looks like you did pretty darn well Penn Bull with 30+ interviews! Your strategy was to bid all NYC market paying and those with the largest class sizes?

I know it's way too early for an 0L to be thinking about this, but what can I say work slowed down here and I'm bored lol.

PennBull

Diamond

Post by PennBull » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:54 am

r6_philly wrote:
Nelson wrote:
Don't forget patent eligible folks. Also grades not as big of a deal as OCI. It's about other things. First semester grades don't really say a whole lot
+1

PennBull

Diamond

Post by PennBull » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:58 am

JamesDean1955 wrote:I was going through last year's OCI thread and it looks like you did pretty darn well Penn Bull with 30+ interviews! Your strategy was to bid all NYC market paying and those with the largest class sizes?

I know it's way too early for an 0L to be thinking about this, but what can I say work slowed down here and I'm bored lol.
It is way too early, so I'll just say that the only things that helped me were a.) I'm a stats guy, so I kinda knew mathematically how to maximize my interviews, and b.) I really just wanted to end up in NYC, which is the easiest market from Penn (i.e. more interview slots).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

OutCold

Bronze

Post by OutCold » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:31 pm

PennBull wrote:
JamesDean1955 wrote:I was going through last year's OCI thread and it looks like you did pretty darn well Penn Bull with 30+ interviews! Your strategy was to bid all NYC market paying and those with the largest class sizes?

It is way too early, so I'll just say that the only things that helped me were a.) I'm a stats guy, so I kinda knew mathematically how to maximize my interviews, and b.) I really just wanted to end up in NYC, which is the easiest market from Penn (i.e. more interview slots).
I think most people who went directly after the biggest New York firms wound up with around 30, give or take a few. I was around 28 with a few DC and Philly firms sprinkled in. I personally went in early just about every day at OCI and resume dropped while the firms were setting up shop. Got about 4 additional interviews that way.

wert3813

Silver

Post by wert3813 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:04 pm

I've read this thread the last few months and have read extensively about how a car is certainly possible to have...but is it necessary?

PennBull

Diamond

Post by PennBull » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:52 pm

OutCold wrote:
PennBull wrote:

I personally went in early just about every day at OCI and resume dropped while the firms were setting up shop. Got about 4 additional interviews that way.
Same. I got 6 interviews from doing that, including a firm I ended up narrowing down to my final 2.

Also I had 3 DC and 2 Philly interviews. One of the DC firms I was legitimately interested in.

PennBull

Diamond

Post by PennBull » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:53 pm

wert3813 wrote:I've read this thread the last few months and have read extensively about how a car is certainly possible to have...but is it necessary?
Not at all. It's a very walkable city, cabs are pretty cheap, and our public transit, while not the most sightly around, is very affordable and gets you around the city pretty quickly.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

OutCold

Bronze

Post by OutCold » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:25 pm

I've lived in CC by Rittenhouse since 1L. I took the bus all of 1L. It takes about 15 minutes and drops me off right at the law school. I walk now, and it takes about 20-25 minutes door to door. Everything I need is within walking distance, and I've never once wished that I had a car here.

SportsFan

Silver

Post by SportsFan » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:09 pm

Finally thought of 2 things I don't like, to answer that question.

1. The heating/air conditioning in Gittis. Seriously, they need to fix that or something...
2. Legal writing. LOVE that its ungraded (though I guess thats changing for c/o 2016?), but everything else about it sucks.

PennBull

Diamond

Post by PennBull » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:26 pm

SportsFan wrote:Finally thought of 2 things I don't like, to answer that question.

1. The heating/air conditioning in Gittis. Seriously, they need to fix that or something...
2. Legal writing. LOVE that its ungraded (though I guess thats changing for c/o 2016?), but everything else about it sucks.
The heating and air conditioning throughout the entire school is absolutely terrible haha. 30 degrees outside? HERE COMES THE AIR CONDITIONER. 75 degree day? TIME TO BLAST THE HEAT.

Legal writing is pretty much a drag everywhere, having it graded will kinda suck tho IMO

OutCold

Bronze

Post by OutCold » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:32 pm

PennBull wrote:
SportsFan wrote:Finally thought of 2 things I don't like, to answer that question.

The heating and air conditioning throughout the entire school is absolutely terrible haha. 30 degrees outside? HERE COMES THE AIR CONDITIONER. 75 degree day? TIME TO BLAST THE HEAT.

Legal writing is pretty much a drag everywhere, having it graded will kinda suck tho IMO
CREAC is worthless. Thankfully our legal writing wasn't graded.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:41 pm

It's not changing. It's going to be ungraded.

PennBull

Diamond

Post by PennBull » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:55 pm

r6_philly wrote:It's not changing. It's going to be ungraded.
Source? I could've sworn they were talking about this all year.

Hopefullyfuturelaw

New

Post by Hopefullyfuturelaw » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:02 pm

Does anyone know where I can get pictures of the rooms for Sansom East or West? Is it the general consensus that I should only go there for my last option?

Thanks

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:10 pm

PennBull wrote:
r6_philly wrote:It's not changing. It's going to be ungraded.
Source? I could've sworn they were talking about this all year.
I don't think they've figured out a replacement for LWIs yet and I don't think anyone is comfortable with 3Ls giving out grades.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”