Penn Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Nelson

Gold

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Post by Nelson » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:02 am

r6_philly wrote:
Nelson wrote:
hume85 wrote:How do Penn students without ties to Philadelphia fare when bidding on Philly firms? What can someone without ties do to send a convincing signal to Philly firms that they want to stay in Philly?
My understanding (1L) is that working here 1L summer plus median grades and a good interview is enough. But most people don't want to stay when similar grades can get you NYC.
Takes a lot of luck - Philly was not hiring much this year and turned out to be much more competitive than people expected.
So worse than 2011?

SportsFan

Silver

Post by SportsFan » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:10 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Nelson wrote:
hume85 wrote:How do Penn students without ties to Philadelphia fare when bidding on Philly firms? What can someone without ties do to send a convincing signal to Philly firms that they want to stay in Philly?
My understanding (1L) is that working here 1L summer plus median grades and a good interview is enough. But most people don't want to stay when similar grades can get you NYC.
Takes a lot of luck - Philly was not hiring much this year and turned out to be much more competitive than people expected.
You think it was more competitive in terms of them wanting better grades, or about them wanting people with stronger ties, or what?

Bronze

Post by 02889 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:40 pm

SportsFan wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Nelson wrote:
You think it was more competitive in terms of them wanting better grades, or about them wanting people with stronger ties, or what?
Not a Penn student, but I'd assume it was just more competitive because, given the economy, they had far, far fewer SA spots to go around. I doubt they arbitrarily upped their standards but kept the same class sizes.

SportsFan

Silver

Post by SportsFan » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:57 pm

02889 wrote:Not a Penn student, but I'd assume it was just more competitive because, given the economy, they had far, far fewer SA spots to go around. I doubt they arbitrarily upped their standards but kept the same class sizes.
I don't mean to sound rude, but obviously it was more competitive because they had less SA spots available. I'm just wondering if their response was to raise their standards or to basically just be more random (I guess look at how well people 'fit') in their offers.

Bronze

Post by 02889 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:03 pm

SportsFan wrote:
02889 wrote:Not a Penn student, but I'd assume it was just more competitive because, given the economy, they had far, far fewer SA spots to go around. I doubt they arbitrarily upped their standards but kept the same class sizes.
I don't mean to sound rude, but obviously it was more competitive because they had less SA spots available. I'm just wondering if their response was to raise their standards or to basically just be more random (I guess look at how well people 'fit') in their offers.
Your response wasn't taken to be rude, as I hope mine isn't either, but the answer to your question just seems kind of obvious. Less spots mean more competition, so the things you listed (better grades and better personality/fit) plus things like better ties, better prior work experience, better interviewing skills, attractiveness, and randomly clicking with the interviewer are all going to matter slightly more than they did previously. I can't imagine all Philly firms would pick just one thing, like grades or fit, to care more about while ignoring the rest. It's all about that holistic approach.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

battlerifle13

New

Post by battlerifle13 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:16 am

Got accepted into Penn Law a couple days ago, and I couldn't be more excited! I will be frequenting here to ask questions and what not.

yngblkgifted

Silver

Post by yngblkgifted » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:23 pm

Dear Penn Community -

I'm looking for a place to sublet in Philly for the summer, if you know anyone who is interested...send me a PM.

SportsFan

Silver

Post by SportsFan » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:17 am

02889 wrote:
SportsFan wrote:
Your response wasn't taken to be rude, as I hope mine isn't either, but the answer to your question just seems kind of obvious. Less spots mean more competition, so the things you listed (better grades and better personality/fit) plus things like better ties, better prior work experience, better interviewing skills, attractiveness, and randomly clicking with the interviewer are all going to matter slightly more than they did previously. I can't imagine all Philly firms would pick just one thing, like grades or fit, to care more about while ignoring the rest. It's all about that holistic approach.
Fair point.

To all the 2L's and 3L's, ITE do you think being a K-JD is particularly bad for employment purposes, or does it ultimately still not matter much (unless you're one of the few people with some awesome work experience)?

PennBull

Diamond

Post by PennBull » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:25 am

SportsFan wrote: To all the 2L's and 3L's, ITE do you think being a K-JD is particularly bad for employment purposes, or does it ultimately still not matter much (unless you're one of the few people with some awesome work experience)?
I think those who have worked 2+ years have, at worst, a very minimal boost if they were just doing a really basic postgrad job, to really great if they had a job (or two) that gives you some good talking points.

I'm a K-JD. I worked during undergrad and I feel like my work experience provided me just as good as talking points as someone who worked full-time. If you don't have any work experience, a.) make sure to really get involved this summer (regardless of what you're doing) so you can walk out with at least one or two awesome stories to tell, and b.) hopefully you participated in something during undergrad (music, sports, clubs, maybe greek life depending on the interviewer) that also gives you talking points.

Short version: Work experience of course helps. Good interviewing and a solid overall background can absolutely overcome it. Good grades are always important.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

SportsFan

Silver

Post by SportsFan » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:31 pm

PennBull wrote:
SportsFan wrote: To all the 2L's and 3L's, ITE do you think being a K-JD is particularly bad for employment purposes, or does it ultimately still not matter much (unless you're one of the few people with some awesome work experience)?
I think those who have worked 2+ years have, at worst, a very minimal boost if they were just doing a really basic postgrad job, to really great if they had a job (or two) that gives you some good talking points.

I'm a K-JD. I worked during undergrad and I feel like my work experience provided me just as good as talking points as someone who worked full-time. If you don't have any work experience, a.) make sure to really get involved this summer (regardless of what you're doing) so you can walk out with at least one or two awesome stories to tell, and b.) hopefully you participated in something during undergrad (music, sports, clubs, maybe greek life depending on the interviewer) that also gives you talking points.

Short version: Work experience of course helps. Good interviewing and a solid overall background can absolutely overcome it. Good grades are always important.
I worked during my summers in undergrad, but I figured most people did. It'll definitely give me some things to talk about in addition to what I'm doing this summer, though. Thanks.

hume85

Silver

Post by hume85 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:36 pm

This might be a question for the folks at the admissions office, but I wanted to know if you all knew how much the following events at ASW might cost me:

03/21/2013 (800 p.m. - 1030 p.m.) : Student Social at City Tap House

03/22/2013 (900 a.m. - 920 a.m.) : Breakfast and Registration

03/22/2013 (1205 p.m. - 120 p.m.) : Faculty Lunch with Admitted Students

03/22/2013 (530 p.m. - 645 p.m.) : Diversity Cocktail Reception & Fair / BREAK / Final Law School Tours

03/22/2013 (7 p.m.) : Dinner on Your Own with Current Students

03/22/2013 (9 p.m.) : Student Social

03/23/2013 (1030 a.m. - 1145 a.m.) : Trolley Tour of Philadelphia

03/23/2013 (1145 a.m. - 1245 p.m.) : Philly-Themed Lunch & Housing Panel

I imagine the faculty lunch and breakfast registration will be free, but I wanted to know how much to budget for the other stuff. Thanks in advance.

PennBull

Diamond

Post by PennBull » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:49 pm

hume85 wrote:This might be a question for the folks at the admissions office, but I wanted to know if you all knew how much the following events at ASW might cost me:

03/21/2013 (800 p.m. - 1030 p.m.) : Student Social at City Tap House

They'll have beer specials for 3-5 dollars. Up to you how much you want to drink.

03/22/2013 (900 a.m. - 920 a.m.) : Breakfast and Registration

03/22/2013 (1205 p.m. - 120 p.m.) : Faculty Lunch with Admitted Students

03/22/2013 (530 p.m. - 645 p.m.) : Diversity Cocktail Reception & Fair / BREAK / Final Law School Tours

03/22/2013 (7 p.m.) : Dinner on Your Own with Current Students

Should be 20-30 bucks. We'll supply the wine if it's a BYO (most are).

03/22/2013 (9 p.m.) : Student Social

Should be specials for 3 dollars to start, will probably cost 4-6 dollars towards the end of the night. Again, up to you.

03/23/2013 (1030 a.m. - 1145 a.m.) : Trolley Tour of Philadelphia

03/23/2013 (1145 a.m. - 1245 p.m.) : Philly-Themed Lunch & Housing Panel

I imagine the faculty lunch and breakfast registration will be free, but I wanted to know how much to budget for the other stuff. Thanks in advance.

smdpnp

Bronze

Post by smdpnp » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:36 pm

Nope.
Last edited by smdpnp on Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:08 pm

smdpnp wrote:Earlier in this thread, several students mentioned how Penn Law's a big supporter of interdisciplinary studies. Can someone describe the law and philosophy programs there? How easy is it to take classes outside the law school? I'm not a JD/PhD applicant, but I do have a background in philosophy and I'd like to continue reading Rawls.
You can take classes outside the law school pretty easily in 2L and 3L but most dual degree people are focused on more professional degrees like MBA or various policy masters. You probably won't take more than a couple of classes outside the law school as a straight law student.

bluepenguin

Bronze

Post by bluepenguin » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:01 pm

I searched, but didn't see much mention of cars. Does anyone have experience having a car at Penn?

I don't care about parking on campus, but if I wanted to bring a car would any of the housing options have room for it? Would it cost much? Or would I be stuck living further away from campus?

SportsFan

Silver

Post by SportsFan » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:33 pm

bluepenguin wrote:I searched, but didn't see much mention of cars. Does anyone have experience having a car at Penn?

I don't care about parking on campus, but if I wanted to bring a car would any of the housing options have room for it? Would it cost much? Or would I be stuck living further away from campus?
Totally depend on where you live. If you live in University City, it's not too hard to find on-street parking. If you want to live in center city, I think (but don't know, so someone correct me if I'm wrong) you'd be best off renting a garage space or something, which would be expensive.

Basically, I like a 15-20 minute walk from campus in UC. If I wanted to have a car here, it wouldn't be hard at all.

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:45 pm

bluepenguin wrote:I searched, but didn't see much mention of cars. Does anyone have experience having a car at Penn?

Having a car in West Philly is not a problem. A residential parking permit that lets you park on the street in your neighborhood costs <$50. Most neighborhoods west of 40th St. have plenty of parking. If you already have a car, I think one is worth having if you're accustomed to it, though your insurance might go up depending on where you're from now.

Parking in Center City is either a horrible nightmare (because you'll spend ages finding a space) or incredibly expensive (because you pay through the nose for a garage) so a car is not a good option.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bluepenguin

Bronze

Post by bluepenguin » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:57 pm

Nelson wrote:Having a car in West Philly is not a problem. A residential parking permit that lets you park on the street in your neighborhood costs <$50. Most neighborhoods west of 40th St. have plenty of parking. If you already have a car, I think one is worth having if you're accustomed to it, though your insurance might go up depending on where you're from now.

Parking in Center City is either a horrible nightmare (because you'll spend ages finding a space) or incredibly expensive (because you pay through the nose for a garage) so a car is not a good option.
I experienced Center City parking on my last visit. Not eager to try that again. I can handle the bus.

$50/m, I assume?

I live in Ithaca right now, so I'm assuming Philly is a steep increase. Although I'd have an older car than what I drive now.

Thanks for the help.

PennBull

Diamond

Post by PennBull » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:41 pm

Ditch the car unless you absolutely desperately need to have it for some reason.

You can find great, affordable housing within a very close walking distance of the school, and any other reason to have a car is superfluous except for extreme cases.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:29 pm

bluepenguin wrote:
Nelson wrote:Having a car in West Philly is not a problem. A residential parking permit that lets you park on the street in your neighborhood costs <$50. Most neighborhoods west of 40th St. have plenty of parking. If you already have a car, I think one is worth having if you're accustomed to it, though your insurance might go up depending on where you're from now.

I experienced Center City parking on my last visit. Not eager to try that again. I can handle the bus.

$50/m, I assume?

I live in Ithaca right now, so I'm assuming Philly is a steep increase. Although I'd have an older car than what I drive now.

Thanks for the help.
I think the transpass is $83/month. Penn sells a discounted semester class which should be 10% less. It will cost a lot more to drive because of parking.

bluepenguin

Bronze

Post by bluepenguin » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:40 pm

I meant $50/m for the residential parking pass, not for the bus.

I imagine myself living within walking distance, but idk how realistic that is. My parents have offered to take my car for a year (I was going to sell it) and give me their old Honda. I'm wonder how expensive it'd be to have it around; I wouldn't expect to drive it very much, and certainly not to campus.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:12 am

bluepenguin wrote:I meant $50/m for the residential parking pass, not for the bus.

I imagine myself living within walking distance, but idk how realistic that is. My parents have offered to take my car for a year (I was going to sell it) and give me their old Honda. I'm wonder how expensive it'd be to have it around; I wouldn't expect to drive it very much, and certainly not to campus.
Be aware that the battery will drain if you don't drive it enough, especially in the winter. Having a car that you don't drive much seem like a burden. People use zip car and car share, and you they are parked right in the lot across the street where I park. I would identify where you want to live first, then decide if you want a car. Having one around center city seems to be a waste. Having one in West Philly may be easy, but you may not actually want to live there since it isn't quite like what you get in center city. I typically drive to school and park it there and then go everyone in town on subway/trolley/bus. It is just more convenient that way.

SaintsTheMetal

Bronze

Post by SaintsTheMetal » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:26 am

r6_philly wrote:
bluepenguin wrote:I meant $50/m for the residential parking pass, not for the bus.

Be aware that the battery will drain if you don't drive it enough, especially in the winter. Having a car that you don't drive much seem like a burden. People use zip car and car share, and you they are parked right in the lot across the street where I park. I would identify where you want to live first, then decide if you want a car. Having one around center city seems to be a waste. Having one in West Philly may be easy, but you may not actually want to live there since it isn't quite like what you get in center city. I typically drive to school and park it there and then go everyone in town on subway/trolley/bus. It is just more convenient that way.
How is parking near the school? Cost? Any street parking ever available if you get there early enough?

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:07 am

SaintsTheMetal wrote:
How is parking near the school? Cost? Any street parking ever available if you get there early enough?
There is free street parking within 4-5 blocks to the north (past Drexel) or 6-7 blocks southwest (40th street and beyond). There is street parking but it's like $2 an hour -- they are all around the school but not always available. Commuter parking pass across the street works out to something like 150 a month I think (I forgot how much I paid for it) but it is right across the street.

SaintsTheMetal

Bronze

Post by SaintsTheMetal » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:09 am

Offering a finder's fee to anyone that can put me in touch with someone that will be moving out of one of the above bar/restaurant/store apartments that are right there by the law building

:lol: :lol: :lol:

serious...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”