Penn Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
TLSNYC

Silver

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Post by TLSNYC » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:38 pm

bdubs wrote:
r6_philly wrote:I was admitted in Dec. and still no scholarship info. The admitted blog's latest post says they will go out in early March.
I asked Bayrex last week and he said mid-march. He also mentioned during a different conversation that they go in order of acceptance, so I think the earliest batches will hear first.
Does anyone know what the general batches were, i.e. 12/28, 1/11, etc.?

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:14 pm

TLSNYC wrote:
bdubs wrote:
r6_philly wrote:I was admitted in Dec. and still no scholarship info. The admitted blog's latest post says they will go out in early March.
I asked Bayrex last week and he said mid-march. He also mentioned during a different conversation that they go in order of acceptance, so I think the earliest batches will hear first.
There was 1 batch pre-Christmas. I was 12/20 and that was on the 3rd day I believe.

absolutazn87

Silver

Post by absolutazn87 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:26 pm

r6_philly wrote:
TLSNYC wrote:
bdubs wrote:
There was 1 batch pre-Christmas. I was 12/20 and that was on the 3rd day I believe.
The first batch started on 12/17 and then more on 12/20, 12/21, and 12/22. I was on 12/21.

TLSNYC

Silver

Post by TLSNYC » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:32 pm

Haha, crap..I feel so late in the game knowing that I got my decision on 1/10. Penn, hurry up and send me some $ so I can withdraw from everywhere else!!

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:41 pm

TLSNYC wrote:Haha, crap..I feel so late in the game knowing that I got my decision on 1/10. Penn, hurry up and send me some $ so I can withdraw from everywhere else!!
Yeah I'm starting to get really anxious because I have offers from all my other top choices now. Penn's my top choice, but it's getting scary to look at the $ from other schools and have a big fat 0 next to Penn. :shock:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:49 pm

Guys, you all need to chill the fuck out. Penn is the slowest, always has been, always will be. If you have another deadline, they will suddenly hurry the fuck up. Calmate.

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:51 pm

Veyron wrote:Guys, you all need to chill the fuck out. Penn is the slowest, always has been, always will be. If you have another deadline, they will suddenly hurry the fuck up. Calmate.
Hahaha can't be chill. It's not in my nature. Maybe you all don't want me at Penn... :D

Gold

Post by 4102011 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:00 pm

law_monkey wrote:
Veyron wrote:Guys, you all need to chill the fuck out. Penn is the slowest, always has been, always will be. If you have another deadline, they will suddenly hurry the fuck up. Calmate.
Hahaha can't be chill. It's not in my nature. Maybe you all don't want me at Penn... :D
I'm going to be so sad if we aren't at the same school next year. We would totally get along XD <3

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:07 pm

Penn is not the kind of place for stressed out individuals :( I think a certainly big city to the NE has a much better atmosphere for that kind of living :lol:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

run26.2

Silver

Post by run26.2 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:26 am

r6_philly wrote:Penn is not the kind of place for stressed out individuals :( I think a certainly big city to the NE has a much better atmosphere for that kind of living :lol:
Funny that you say that. I think either JohnnyUtah or Veyron said earlier that Penn was a west coast kind of school. But it didn't hit me until you said this that I don't know a single person who is stressed out at Penn.

I like Penn a lot and I am very happy to be there.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:31 am

run26.2 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:Penn is not the kind of place for stressed out individuals :( I think a certainly big city to the NE has a much better atmosphere for that kind of living :lol:
Funny that you say that. I think either JohnnyUtah or Veyron said earlier that Penn was a west coast kind of school. But it didn't hit me until you said this that I don't know a single person who is stressed out at Penn.

I like Penn a lot and I am very happy to be there.
Weeeeellll, I'm pretty intense but I'm an anomaly. I kinda thrive on tension, can't bring myself to work otherwise. Still, its cool to be around a bunch of people who are chill.

whitman

Silver

Post by whitman » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:34 am

OK, this is obviously not a major criterion for me when choosing a school; but it is something I'm thinking about. What are the women like? Attractive ones in the school, undergrad, other grad programs, the surrounding neighborhoods? Much dating, etc?

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:54 am

Veyron wrote: Weeeeellll, I'm pretty intense but I'm an anomaly. I kinda thrive on tension, can't bring myself to work otherwise. Still, its cool to be around a bunch of people who are chill.
Intense is not stressed out. I am very focused/driven, but I never stress out. The school culture from UG to the grad divisions are just not one that would lead to much stressing. Some people over worry but everyone else and the environment is calming and reassuring.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:35 am

r6_philly wrote:
Veyron wrote: Weeeeellll, I'm pretty intense but I'm an anomaly. I kinda thrive on tension, can't bring myself to work otherwise. Still, its cool to be around a bunch of people who are chill.
Intense is not stressed out. I am very focused/driven, but I never stress out. The school culture from UG to the grad divisions are just not one that would lead to much stressing. Some people over worry but everyone else and the environment is calming and reassuring.
Haha stress is how I handle with my drive. I thrive on being worried, and if I'm not very worried I start worrying about what I might be forgetting to worry about. I won't show my stress in public though. I'll be freaking in my mind, and none of you will ever know. Unless you come on TLS where I will be ranting about all my stress! :D

Gold

Post by 4102011 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:40 am

law_monkey wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Haha stress is how I handle with my drive. I thrive on being worried, and if I'm not very worried I start worrying about what I might be forgetting to worry about. I won't show my stress in public though. I'll be freaking in my mind, and none of you will ever know. Unless you come on TLS where I will be ranting about all my stress! :D
IT'S LIKE YOU'RE IN MY HEAD <3

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:52 am

dulcatis wrote:
law_monkey wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Hahaha. Dulcatis/law_monkey stress invasion. Even the chillest of schools won't survive! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:29 am

[/quote]

Intense is not stressed out. I am very focused/driven, but I never stress out. The school culture from UG to the grad divisions are just not one that would lead to much stressing. Some people over worry but everyone else and the environment is calming and reassuring.[/quote]

Haha stress is how I handle with my drive. I thrive on being worried, and if I'm not very worried I start worrying about what I might be forgetting to worry about. I won't show my stress in public though. I'll be freaking in my mind, and none of you will ever know. Unless you come on TLS where I will be ranting about all my stress! :D[/quote]

IT'S LIKE YOU'RE IN MY HEAD <3[/quote]

Hahaha. Dulcatis/law_monkey stress invasion. Even the chillest of schools won't survive! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:[/quote]

Are we witnessing the birth of a Penn gunner revolution?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

run26.2

Silver

Post by run26.2 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:08 am

law_monkey wrote:
Hahaha. Dulcatis/law_monkey stress invasion. Even the chillest of schools won't survive! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
I'd rather go to a school where people were stressed on the inside and didn't show it than they were showing their stress on a regular basis.

How different is this any way from normal human experience?

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:10 am

run26.2 wrote:
law_monkey wrote:
I'd rather go to a school where people were stressed on the inside and didn't show it than they were showing their stress on a regular basis.

I don't really care if they are stressed on the inside or the outside or both. As long as they are stressed, I will be in a better position.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:14 am

Veyron wrote:
Are we witnessing the birth of a Penn gunner revolution?
Speaking of gunners, I finally observed one in person. Guy continues to answer questions in long-winded, off-topic answers when not called on, cutting off students that were called on. When the cut-off student decided to speak up to tell him he is off-topic and should stop, he laughs sarcastically and reiterates and expands his rant.

run26.2

Silver

Post by run26.2 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:13 pm

r6_philly wrote:
run26.2 wrote:
law_monkey wrote:

I don't really care if they are stressed on the inside or the outside or both. As long as they are stressed, I will be in a better position.
I assume this is said tongue in cheek.

Law school is a place where you know you're in competition with others, but because you go through a rigorous experience together, you tend to form bonds that make you regret that some people do not succeed.

The point I was trying to make is that most people experience some level of stress, but some people learn to manage it. Perhaps others can be helped to manage it. Regardless, the students at Penn seem to do well with not letting their busyness interfere with their affability or the social process that goes on at the school.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:29 pm

run26.2 wrote: I assume this is said tongue in cheek.

Law school is a place where you know you're in competition with others, but because you go through a rigorous experience together, you tend to form bonds that make you regret that some people do not succeed.

The point I was trying to make is that most people experience some level of stress, but some people learn to manage it. Perhaps others can be helped to manage it. Regardless, the students at Penn seem to do well with not letting their busyness interfere with their affability or the social process that goes on at the school.
Yeah I will definitely be rooting for my friends/classmates too. I'm not the cutthroat type. Hence why I have been just as excited about other TLSers cycles as my own, and I get really sad when my TLS buddies get bad news too.

glacierfrost

Bronze

Post by glacierfrost » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:40 pm

I heard that Penn is the "social Ivy".

achilles

Bronze

Post by achilles » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:47 pm

law_monkey wrote:
dulcatis wrote:
law_monkey wrote: Haha stress is how I handle with my drive. I thrive on being worried, and if I'm not very worried I start worrying about what I might be forgetting to worry about. I won't show my stress in public though. I'll be freaking in my mind, and none of you will ever know. Unless you come on TLS where I will be ranting about all my stress! :D
aaah stressed out people stress me out haha. If yall go to Penn (dear Penn, please give monkey some money...), I can't speak to you for a few weeks before exams :)

mcweanis

Bronze

Post by mcweanis » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:06 pm

whitman wrote:OK, this is obviously not a major criterion for me when choosing a school; but it is something I'm thinking about. What are the women like? Attractive ones in the school, undergrad, other grad programs, the surrounding neighborhoods? Much dating, etc?
http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/philad ... iest_city/

yes, it is a silly online survey, but i do find it to be a pretty ugly city.*

*I don't go to Penn, but I live and work here.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”