Penn Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
r6_philly

Diamond

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Post by r6_philly » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:44 am

Georgiana wrote: This. Definitely don't expect a firm job, try for one if you want it (and I mean really try, its not just send your resume and hope, you need to be contacting people and asking for informational interviews and calling to let them know you're in the area in case they might take a chance on an interview and looking for ways to apply to "diversity" programs), but you should also be looking into judicial internships, PI organizations, government work, and research jobs with profs.
Do you know if there is an advantage to work 1L summer firm job over PI and other positions? I wouldn't mind working with some sort of community service org, but if working firm 1L summer gives me any small amount of advantage I would probably go for a firm job.

Also, what about working in a small law firm? I can probably get a job with people I know.

Georgiana

Silver

Post by Georgiana » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:24 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Georgiana wrote: This. Definitely don't expect a firm job, try for one if you want it (and I mean really try, its not just send your resume and hope, you need to be contacting people and asking for informational interviews and calling to let them know you're in the area in case they might take a chance on an interview and looking for ways to apply to "diversity" programs), but you should also be looking into judicial internships, PI organizations, government work, and research jobs with profs.
Do you know if there is an advantage to work 1L summer firm job over PI and other positions? I wouldn't mind working with some sort of community service org, but if working firm 1L summer gives me any small amount of advantage I would probably go for a firm job.

Also, what about working in a small law firm? I can probably get a job with people I know.
The advantages: Money. It may slightly help during OCI but I'm not really sure about that. If I were an OCI interviewer (which would be so fun!), I don't think I would prefer one over the other so long as both candidates could speak intelligently about what they did and why they chose to do it.

1L summer is largely about doing anything legal, just do something. A firm will look down on you if you couldn't manage to find something.

Given the opportunity to make $30k+ over 1L summer is something you shouldn't pass up if given the opportunity and you want to do biglaw anyway. I have a friend who has worked for a smaller firm during the school year/over 2L summer bc OCI didn't pan out. It hasn't seemed to help much in the job search. But he's making money and if they have an opening in the near future they'll probably tap him to take it.

Georgiana

Silver

Post by Georgiana » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:31 pm

Georgiana wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

The advantages: Money. It may slightly help during OCI but I'm not really sure about that. If I were an OCI interviewer (which would be so fun!), I don't think I would prefer one over the other so long as both candidates could speak intelligently about what they did and why they chose to do it. If they like you and you like them it may serve to cut out the OCI process entirely and you can return to the same firm for 2L summer.

1L summer is largely about doing anything legal, just do something. A firm will look down on you if you couldn't manage to find something.

Given the opportunity to make $30k+ over 1L summer is something you shouldn't pass up if given the opportunity and you want to do biglaw anyway. I have a friend who has worked for a smaller firm during the school year/over 2L summer bc OCI didn't pan out. It hasn't seemed to help much in the job search. But he's making money and if they have an opening in the near future they'll probably tap him to take it.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:37 pm

Georgiana wrote: The advantages: Money. It may slightly help during OCI but I'm not really sure about that. If I were an OCI interviewer (which would be so fun!), I don't think I would prefer one over the other so long as both candidates could speak intelligently about what they did and why they chose to do it.

Thanks for the insight. Money is good, but I could manage without it. I will work part-time through school, and I will take on a small firm job if I can get one like your friend. I can probably get one through friends but it won't pay as well as my own current job, so if there is no advantage I would just do what I do now, and do something legal in the summer. I can always take a PI law job during the day and make money keep working part-time. I think I have decent options, just want to do the best for OCI/future career instead of focusing on money right now.

So do you know of any biglaw firms hiring part-time during the school year? I guess I need to crank up my networking :mrgreen:

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:59 pm

supahstahxruv wrote:
Veyron wrote:
supahstahxruv wrote:can any current Penn students speak to summer jobs after 1L? the woman at ASW said that no 1L's were lined up to work at firms this summer - do all students pursue government/PI work, and are these positions usually funded (either by the employer or by Penn)? thanks!
Who the fuck did you talk to? Several kids in my section have 1L firm jobs/offers and many got callbacks.
Yeah, definitely good to know I'm misinformed. I don't remeber her name but I spoke to someone from the career planning center and my takeaway was that I shouldn't expect at all to be working at a firm after the first year. Not that I'm set on a firm job for 1L summer, but having options is definitely a plus...

Thanks so much for clearing that up!
Oh, its still the exception rather than the rule, but not impossible. Also, you might find, as I did, that other options are more desireable than working for a firm in a place like central Jersey or something.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:07 pm

Veyron wrote: Oh, its still the exception rather than the rule, but not impossible. Also, you might find, as I did, that other options are more desireable than working for a firm in a place like central Jersey or something.
What other options? If I don't find something through the school I will have to try to get something at friends' firms but they don't practice in anything I am interested in.

silly101

Bronze

Post by silly101 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:46 am

leaning towards living in 2400 Chestnut

whats the success rate of getting subletters for the summer?
is it mostly through craigslist

niederbomb

Silver

Post by niederbomb » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:48 am

What happens if you are geographically unable to visit before August to look for apartments?

Grad housing? Is it that bad? lol

wondering

New

Post by wondering » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:15 pm

How are career counselors assigned? Can you meet with anyone you want or does the school assign you someone to meet with all the time? Can you switch if you don't like your assigned counselor?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:19 pm

wondering wrote:How are career counselors assigned? Can you meet with anyone you want or does the school assign you someone to meet with all the time? Can you switch if you don't like your assigned counselor?
No assignment. You meet with whoever you want and eventually develop a good relationship with one or two.

Georgiana

Silver

Post by Georgiana » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:37 am

niederbomb wrote:What happens if you are geographically unable to visit before August to look for apartments?

Sansom is pretty bad... I don't know anyone who lived there who liked it for any reason other than 1) proximity to school and 2) 9 month lease option.

If you can't visit, I know people who signed with 2400 sight unseen, there are also admits generally looking for roommates in 2400 so you can pair up with one of them and maybe they have time to go look at places.

pereira6

Silver

Post by pereira6 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:45 am

What are the laundry and grocery store proximities to 2400? Do people typically walk there? I won't be having a car my 1L year, perhaps ever.

What are good places to live with laundry/stores right there? I would enjoy having a roommate, for what its worth.

Georgiana

Silver

Post by Georgiana » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:30 am

pereira6 wrote:What are the laundry and grocery store proximities to 2400? Do people typically walk there? I won't be having a car my 1L year, perhaps ever.

What are good places to live with laundry/stores right there? I would enjoy having a roommate, for what its worth.
2400 has laundry so theres no worries there.

And the most convenient thing for groceries is genuardis.com which delivers. There's a Trader Joe's on 21st and Market and a Whole Foods on 20th and Callowhill-ish. There are also a few smaller markets for quick shopping. Philly is not great on grocery shopping.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

pereira6

Silver

Post by pereira6 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:37 am

Georgiana wrote:
pereira6 wrote:What are the laundry and grocery store proximities to 2400? Do people typically walk there? I won't be having a car my 1L year, perhaps ever.

And the most convenient thing for groceries is genuardis.com which delivers. There's a Trader Joe's on 21st and Market and a Whole Foods on 20th and Callowhill-ish. There are also a few smaller markets for quick shopping. Philly is not great on grocery shopping.
Looks like I'll have to convince a friend with a car to go to a Wegmans 15-20 minutes away! It's totally worth it, for anyone who's never been. Best grocery store in the world, period.

Is 2400's laundry coin-op?

mcweanis

Bronze

Post by mcweanis » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:40 am

pereira6 wrote:
Georgiana wrote:

Looks like I'll have to convince a friend with a car to go to a Wegmans 15-20 minutes away! It's totally worth it, for anyone who's never been. Best grocery store in the world, period.

i always go to trader joes and load up the groceries in my bike basket

absolutazn87

Silver

Post by absolutazn87 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:47 am

pereira6 wrote:
Georgiana wrote:

I think 2400's laundry is free!

Also, there's always zipcar or phillycarshare if you want to drive out to Wegmans :) i have zipcar now in nyc and it's amazing!

pereira6

Silver

Post by pereira6 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:50 am

absolutazn87 wrote:
pereira6 wrote: Looks like I'll have to convince a friend with a car to go to a Wegmans 15-20 minutes away! It's totally worth it, for anyone who's never been. Best grocery store in the world, period.

Also, there's always zipcar or phillycarshare if you want to drive out to Wegmans :) i have zipcar now in nyc and it's amazing!
Wanna drive out to Wegmans with me if I grab a zipcar? Haha if you've never been, you'll never want to go to a Trader Joe's or w/e they have in Philly

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

absolutazn87

Silver

Post by absolutazn87 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:00 am

pereira6 wrote:
absolutazn87 wrote:
pereira6 wrote: Looks like I'll have to convince a friend with a car to go to a Wegmans 15-20 minutes away! It's totally worth it, for anyone who's never been. Best grocery store in the world, period.

Wanna drive out to Wegmans with me if I grab a zipcar? Haha if you've never been, you'll never want to go to a Trader Joe's or w/e they have in Philly
sure!

pereira6

Silver

Post by pereira6 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:16 am

Still gotta figure out exactly what it is I want. I don't really need a doorman, but I stayed at 2400 when I visited and it was alright, and a pleasant walk to campus (although you do have to walk through Drexel haha). I think a 2nd trip to Philadelphia might be in order to peruse the different housing options.

There's zipcar where I'm at, but I've never used it. Doesn't look like the cheapest option, or am I not reading the membership deals right?

I'm an avid bike rider but I don't think I could fit all the groceries I'd want on my bike. I like to cook so I always end up buying lots of stuff.

absolutazn87

Silver

Post by absolutazn87 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:25 am

pereira6 wrote:Still gotta figure out exactly what it is I want. I don't really need a doorman, but I stayed at 2400 when I visited and it was alright, and a pleasant walk to campus (although you do have to walk through Drexel haha). I think a 2nd trip to Philadelphia might be in order to peruse the different housing options.

There's zipcar where I'm at, but I've never used it. Doesn't look like the cheapest option, or am I not reading the membership deals right?

I'm an avid bike rider but I don't think I could fit all the groceries I'd want on my bike. I like to cook so I always end up buying lots of stuff.
I think Zipcar's a pretty great deal.

You don't have to pay for gas or insurance and there's no membership fees at all if you pledge to drive a certain amount of money per month (like $50/month). Cars run from like $7/hour for the cheapest civics to around $11ish for BMWs :D

I have a 3-series addiction. It's a problem. :oops:

pereira6

Silver

Post by pereira6 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:33 am

So, if I wanted to use a car 3 times a month for a 1.5-2 hour trip to a grocery store, it would cost me like 100$ a month?

I could look this up but it's more fun to ask here haha

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

absolutazn87

Silver

Post by absolutazn87 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:50 am

pereira6 wrote:So, if I wanted to use a car 3 times a month for a 1.5-2 hour trip to a grocery store, it would cost me like 100$ a month?

Lol no...it'd probably cost like $54

pereira6

Silver

Post by pereira6 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:53 am

absolutazn87 wrote:
pereira6 wrote:So, if I wanted to use a car 3 times a month for a 1.5-2 hour trip to a grocery store, it would cost me like 100$ a month?

Lol no...it'd probably cost like $54
Sold.

underachiever

Bronze

Post by underachiever » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:11 pm

Georgiana wrote:
niederbomb wrote:What happens if you are geographically unable to visit before August to look for apartments?

Sansom is pretty bad... I don't know anyone who lived there who liked it for any reason other than 1) proximity to school and 2) 9 month lease option.

If you can't visit, I know people who signed with 2400 sight unseen, there are also admits generally looking for roommates in 2400 so you can pair up with one of them and maybe they have time to go look at places.

DO NOT LIVE IN SANSOM!

I live in 2400 now and its okay. Electric can run high in the Summer and Winter but past that its 1 of the best large apt buildings from which you can walk to school.

silly101

Bronze

Post by silly101 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:15 pm

underachiever wrote:
Georgiana wrote:

DO NOT LIVE IN SANSOM!

I live in 2400 now and its okay. Electric can run high in the Summer and Winter but past that its 1 of the best large apt buildings from which you can walk to school.
is it easy to find summer subletters

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”