Penn Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Gisney

Bronze

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Post by Gisney » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:53 pm

venus wrote:Great, thanks! That's what I thought. I'm not sure if renting would work for me, since I sometimes underline with a pencil but I'll definitely look for used books.

Do you guys remember when the fall semester class schedule became available to students?

I am pretty sure we get our sections and classes during orientation. Think I read that somewhere but I could be wrong.

JamesDean1955

Silver

Post by JamesDean1955 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:23 pm

PennBull wrote:
venus wrote:Great, thanks! That's what I thought. I'm not sure if renting would work for me, since I sometimes underline with a pencil but I'll definitely look for used books.

Do you guys remember when the fall semester class schedule became available to students?
When you rent books, you're allowed to do full markup on the books.
How does that work, exactly? What I mean is, if everyone started highlighting all over their books and then returning them to the rental company, wouldn't the rental copies eventually all be marked up? I'm missing something obvious here most likely.

Same question w/r/t used books; I wouldn't want to buy used unless they hadn't been marked it. I plan to brief using a preset color scheme...

PennBull

Diamond

Post by PennBull » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:09 pm

JamesDean1955 wrote:
PennBull wrote:

How does that work, exactly? What I mean is, if everyone started highlighting all over their books and then returning them to the rental company, wouldn't the rental copies eventually all be marked up? I'm missing something obvious here most likely.

Same question w/r/t used books; I wouldn't want to buy used unless they hadn't been marked it. I plan to brief using a preset color scheme...
You rent them as brand new books. Bookstore then sells them as used when you return them.

JamesDean1955

Silver

Post by JamesDean1955 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:58 pm

PennBull wrote:
JamesDean1955 wrote:
PennBull wrote:

You rent them as brand new books. Bookstore then sells them as used when you return them.
So, buying used you are most likely to get highlighted books? Or does it depend where you buy them?

PennBull

Diamond

Post by PennBull » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:03 pm

JamesDean1955 wrote: So, buying used you are most likely to get highlighted books? Or does it depend where you buy them?
Your mileage may vary everywhere bro. Some used books are marked all to hell, some are not. Once it's written in, it's used and needs to be sold as such. Once you're wet, you're wet, and you can't be more wet.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

europhile

New

Post by europhile » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:08 pm

PennBull wrote:
JamesDean1955 wrote: So, buying used you are most likely to get highlighted books? Or does it depend where you buy them?
Your mileage may vary everywhere bro. Some used books are marked all to hell, some are not. Once it's written in, it's used and needs to be sold as such. Once you're wet, you're wet, and you can't be more wet.
Thanks for being so consistently helpful PennBull. I have a related question: when is the best time to buy or rent books to minimize the cost? TIA.

PennBull

Diamond

Post by PennBull » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:12 pm

europhile wrote: Thanks for being so consistently helpful PennBull. I have a related question: when is the best time to buy or rent books to minimize the cost? TIA.
No problem at all. Would rather help out new students than work!

Uh, really don't know the answer to that. I do know that the Equal Justice Foundation in the school does a sale sometime the first week, selling all sorts of used books (and supplements) for super cheap. Depends on what professors are there this year though, and if you guys have the same ones. Availability is generally a bit limited anyways though.

My strategy is to not buy textbooks. Seriously. Some I had to because of how the professor taught it, but, if I can just get old outlines and google case briefs, then what the hell is the point of the textbook?

Other than that I don't think timing makes a difference. They're not airline tickets.

laotze

Bronze

Post by laotze » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:24 pm

PennBull wrote: My strategy is to not buy textbooks. Seriously. Some I had to because of how the professor taught it, but, if I can just get old outlines and google case briefs, then what the hell is the point of the textbook?
^ Quite a relief to hear my undergraduate tactics could possibly get me through law school too. I'd just as well prefer to do without a collection of four-hundred-dollar dust receptacles.

westphillybandr

Bronze

Post by westphillybandr » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:14 pm

SportsFan wrote:This might be sort of dumb, but since Penn doesn't give an 'official' GPA, when firms calculate ours, do they bother to calculate a weighted GPA (taking into account that electives or worth less credits) or do they just add up all the classes and treat them equally? My unweighted is 0.02 better so hopefully firms are lazy. :lol:
The number of credits aren't even on the transcript copy I use.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BigLaw_Lit

New

Post by BigLaw_Lit » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:41 am

Hey guys, I am wondering if anyone who has gone through OCI has any opinion on how employers view Penn in comparison to Columbia and Chicago. Do you think think the same person with the same GPA will have similar results at each school. Or does the Columbia or Chicago guy have an edge?

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:29 pm

BigLaw_Lit wrote:Hey guys, I am wondering if anyone who has gone through OCI has any opinion on how employers view Penn in comparison to Columbia and Chicago. Do you think think the same person with the same GPA will have similar results at each school. Or does the Columbia or Chicago guy have an edge?
Your grades and what city you're talking about matter a lot more than what school you go to. There isn't really a way to compare people with the "same GPA" across these schools since none of these schools rank so nobody really knows exactly where they stand at any of them. You should make a decision based on what each school is going to cost you and where you want to practice, not by trying to parse prestige.

PennBull

Diamond

Post by PennBull » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:42 pm

Nelson wrote:
BigLaw_Lit wrote:Hey guys, I am wondering if anyone who has gone through OCI has any opinion on how employers view Penn in comparison to Columbia and Chicago. Do you think think the same person with the same GPA will have similar results at each school. Or does the Columbia or Chicago guy have an edge?
Your grades and what city you're talking about matter a lot more than what school you go to. There isn't really a way to compare people with the "same GPA" across these schools since none of these schools rank so nobody really knows exactly where they stand at any of them. You should make a decision based on what each school is going to cost you and where you want to practice, not by trying to parse prestige.
Yeah it's pretty clear from the data where schools are sending graduates to work and at what percentages/cities. It's not like a Penn student is going to know something specifically that will change that

SportsFan

Silver

Post by SportsFan » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:57 pm

Why does it seem (based on facebook, anyway) that half my class is/was abroad this summer? :? What is everyone doing abroad?! :lol:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

PennBull

Diamond

Post by PennBull » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:24 pm

SportsFan wrote:Why does it seem (based on facebook, anyway) that half my class is/was abroad this summer? :? What is everyone doing abroad?! :lol:
Ha, I'm sure it's because they have far more interesting things to post than we ever do.

westphillybandr

Bronze

Post by westphillybandr » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:12 pm

When do we find out about journals?

westphillybandr

Bronze

Post by westphillybandr » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:02 pm

westphillybandr wrote:When do we find out about journals?
Anybody have any idea?

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:18 pm

westphillybandr wrote:
Anybody have any idea?
Next week if previous years and the rumor mill are right. I heard that they were still scoring this week.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

westphillybandr

Bronze

Post by westphillybandr » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:30 am

Nelson wrote:
westphillybandr wrote:
Anybody have any idea?
Next week if previous years and the rumor mill are right. I heard that they were still scoring this week.

Thanks.

whatsthat

New

Post by whatsthat » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:46 am

Does anyone have any input on any of these professors and/or courses?

Evidence (Gordon or Fletman)
Fed Income Tax (Shuldiner or Sanchirico)

Also, I assume the courses under "no examination" have papers or something instead?

run26.2

Silver

Post by run26.2 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:13 pm

whatsthat wrote:Does anyone have any input on any of these professors and/or courses?

Also, I assume the courses under "no examination" have papers or something instead?
I took Fletman for evidence. Whether you like her will depend on whether you like participating in-class and attending or if you are the type that likes to just show up at the end of the semester for the exam.

Classroom participation is a part of the grade, so you should come prepared to most classes. If you do, you are well on your way to a good grade in the class. She shows a lot of videos, so that part of the class is interesting.

BTW - I recommend taking evidence in law school because it is a common bar exam topic and is useful in many practice areas.

whatsthat

New

Post by whatsthat » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:23 pm

run26.2 wrote:I took Fletman for evidence. Whether you like her will depend on whether you like participating in-class and attending or if you are the type that likes to just show up at the end of the semester for the exam.

Classroom participation is a part of the grade, so you should come prepared to most classes. If you do, you are well on your way to a good grade in the class. She shows a lot of videos, so that part of the class is interesting.

BTW - I recommend taking evidence in law school because it is a common bar exam topic and is useful in many practice areas.
Thanks. What kind of exam does she give?
Also, is there any reason why Evidence w/ Rudovsky in the spring is 4 credits instead of 3? And does anyone have anything to say about Rudovsky?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Wholigan

Silver

Post by Wholigan » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:15 pm

whatsthat wrote:
run26.2 wrote:I took Fletman for evidence. Whether you like her will depend on whether you like participating in-class and attending or if you are the type that likes to just show up at the end of the semester for the exam.

Thanks. What kind of exam does she give?
Also, is there any reason why Evidence w/ Rudovsky in the spring is 4 credits instead of 3? And does anyone have anything to say about Rudovsky?
In the past, Rudovsky's class has met 3 days per week (which usually includes Friday morning) and the other evidence classes 2 days. He covers more topics from what I have heard of the other sections. Rudovsky was definitely one of my favorite professors at the law school. He usually wins whatever the favorite professor prize is called from the graduating class every other year, since you can't win it back-to-back years. He lets you know who is on call by email prior to class (about a day ahead, IIRC). He's a practitioner and has been teaching forever, so he brings a lot of real world experience. He is very civil-liberties leaning for what that's worth. The exam was half MC and half essay. I would recommend his class over the others if you have an interest in the subject matter or in criminal law work.

Georgiana

Silver

Post by Georgiana » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:45 pm

whatsthat wrote:Does anyone have any input on any of these professors and/or courses?

I had Rudovsky for evidence and hated it, but I would have hated any evidence class I think. I only took it because of the "its on the bar!" argument and definitely regret it. Learning it for the bar would have been easier than absolutely hating it for a full semester of school (and wasting a class). A lot of people really do love him/the class, I was just not one of them.

I had Sanchirico for Fed Income Tax and he definitely knew his stuff... but didn't really know how to teach it. Lovely man who is very smart, but I have never been more lost in my life. Luckily everyone else was lost too so our exam grades evened out even though I literally made things up. I expected a C (or worse...), got a B+. I did not learn anything in that class unfortunately (which is sad because knowing something about tax in my current job would be helpful).

SportsFan

Silver

Post by SportsFan » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:12 pm

Nelson wrote:
westphillybandr wrote:
Anybody have any idea?

I'm legitimately excited to find out what journal I'm on, even though I'm 99% sure it won't be LR.

westphillybandr

Bronze

Post by westphillybandr » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:06 pm

Don't think we'll hear back until August.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”