Penn Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
B.B. Homemaker

Gold

Re: Penn Students Taking Questions

Post by B.B. Homemaker » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:43 am

ymmv wrote:
tigersaresexy wrote:
B.B. Homemaker wrote: Only during finals. Building normally closes at 10 or 11 or something, and yes, you're screwed if you leave something you need between then and 7:30 am.
Dammit I'm going to have to find somewhere else to leave a spare key then
Maybe your wallet? Unless you frequently lose both your keys and your wallet simultaneously.
Give it to a friend.

ymmv

Diamond

Post by ymmv » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:47 am

B.B. Homemaker wrote:
ymmv wrote:
tigersaresexy wrote:
B.B. Homemaker wrote: Only during finals. Building normally closes at 10 or 11 or something, and yes, you're screwed if you leave something you need between then and 7:30 am.
Maybe your wallet? Unless you frequently lose both your keys and your wallet simultaneously.
Give it to a friend.
#KJDProblems

tigersaresexy

Bronze

Post by tigersaresexy » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:54 am

ymmv wrote:
tigersaresexy wrote:
I actually just found out my apartment charges an obscene amount of money for lock-outs, and I'm always switching between various handbags/wallets for various occasions (I have a fetish okay?) so it's not super unlikely that I would leave something important in my apartment. I used to remedy this problem by leaving a spare set in my mail box that had a combination on it, but it looks like my new apartment has mailbox keys =(

The only thing I consistently have on me is my cellphone..I think I might have to buy one of those cases with a storage compartment...

tigersaresexy

Bronze

Post by tigersaresexy » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:55 am

ymmv wrote:
B.B. Homemaker wrote: Give it to a friend.
#KJDProblems
What are friends?

goldenboy514

Silver

Post by goldenboy514 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:25 pm

Keep going. We've almost reached a whole page of locker discussions lol. For real though, dont stress about this small stuff

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ymmv

Diamond

Post by ymmv » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:26 pm

goldenboy514 wrote:Keep going. We've almost reached a whole page of locker discussions lol. For real though, dont stress about this small stuff
TBF the real thing to stress about is that you won't have a locker for the first two months of class while you wait for the 2Ls on journal to finally clear out their shit. For the sake of your spine I highly recommend a wheeled suitcase for your case books in the mean time.
Last edited by ymmv on Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PennBull

Diamond

Post by PennBull » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:46 pm

I highly recommend not buying books at all and just googling everything and using old outlines

ymmv

Diamond

Post by ymmv » Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:47 pm

PennBull wrote:I highly recommend not buying books at all and just googling everything and using old outlines
I'd agree with this for some classes but not all. This is probably a good way to bomb Property for instance. And everyone needs to develop case-reading/skimming skills at some point, and you might as well do it first semester while there's relatively little reading and only 3 classes.

In general I think TCR is to talk to upperclassmen about individual professors and figure out what's necessary or unnecessary for each.

PennBull

Diamond

Post by PennBull » Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:48 pm

haha property is probably the second least necessary reading course behind torts man

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ymmv

Diamond

Post by ymmv » Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:50 pm

PennBull wrote:haha property is probably the second least necessary reading course behind torts man
I take it you did not have Balganesh? Because if you managed to get an A from him without doing any reading, then JFC more power to you.

PennBull

Diamond

Post by PennBull » Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:52 pm

ohhhh right he is a bit different; usually people just had BLL Property classes so it was pretty much just follow along with a 200 page outline and don't buy a book haha

ymmv

Diamond

Post by ymmv » Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:55 pm

PennBull wrote:ohhhh right he is a bit different; usually people just had BLL Property classes so it was pretty much just follow along with a 200 page outline and don't buy a book haha
Balganesh's exam is more like, you'd better know every fucking sentence of the cases or you're SOL. And the outlines available were pretty terrible TBH, lots of errors and straight up missing the point. Either that or he changes his mind from year to year.

In any case, as long as he's the only property prof I think reading for P is mandatory.

PennBull

Diamond

Post by PennBull » Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:58 pm

well now he's the only one because the ABA yelled at Penn for making our 1Ls work too hard and hurting their feelings

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

tigersaresexy

Bronze

Post by tigersaresexy » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:02 pm

Talking about lugging books around...how about that old college trick where you get the spine cut off your textbook and hole-punch it so you can take the relevant parts with you in a binder and leave the rest behind.

Is that feasible?

Also, why no lockers for 2 months?

ymmv

Diamond

Post by ymmv » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:16 pm

tigersaresexy wrote:Talking about lugging books around...how about that old college trick where you get the spine cut off your textbook and hole-punch it so you can take the relevant parts with you in a binder and leave the rest behind.

Is that feasible?
A small handful of people did this. It seems like way too much work to me. And depending on the prof you won't always know the "relevant parts" to lug around to class.
tigersaresexy wrote:Also, why no lockers for 2 months?
Because 2Ls don't give a shit about 1Ls or their problems. And are lazy.

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:54 am

tigersaresexy wrote:
Don't leave anything valuable in the lockers.

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:56 am

PennBull wrote:I highly recommend not buying books at all and just googling everything and using old outlines
Don't do this as a 1L.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

PennBull

Diamond

Post by PennBull » Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:29 pm

Nelson wrote:
Don't do this as a 1L.
Haha I mean I made it work but I think it takes a certain mentality and a solid gameplan. But it saves you a thousand bucks and you cut through the bullshit faster.

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:20 pm

PennBull wrote:
Nelson wrote:
Don't do this as a 1L.
Haha I mean I made it work but I think it takes a certain mentality and a solid gameplan. But it saves you a thousand bucks and you cut through the bullshit faster.
Yeah I think half of 1L fall is figuring out what works for you. You can't do that unless you experiment a little. I still do all of my casebook reading and make my own outlines. Different strokes.

wlee1220

Bronze

Post by wlee1220 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:05 pm

goldenboy514 wrote:
Nelson wrote:
goldenboy514 wrote:Anyone have any experience with buying a parking pass for Penn? Will be commuting and trying to figure out how/where I go to sign up for one
You get it through the University. Look on Security's website. It's really expensive though. No way you can park and take Septa?
I'm in NJ. I could but then Id have to drive to Patco 20 mins, take patco to like 15th and locust, then take septa and walk a few blocks. Too much for me
What part of Jersey? You could drive over to the station in Cherry Hill, take that train into 30th Street station and walk from there. That's my plan at least.

wildcatatpenn

New

Post by wildcatatpenn » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:23 pm

Anyone taken a class with Kreimer? Or particularly Constitutional litigation?

Stickler for attendance/not being late etc?

Only class on my schedule I'm not sure if I particularly want

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:30 pm

wildcatatpenn wrote:Anyone taken a class with Kreimer? Or particularly Constitutional litigation?

Stickler for attendance/not being late etc?

Only class on my schedule I'm not sure if I particularly want
If your goal is an easy A, that class is usually pretty gunner-ish and is on the curve. I like Kreimer, though your mileage may vary since he rubs some people the wrong way.

B.B. Homemaker

Gold

Post by B.B. Homemaker » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:50 pm

Nelson wrote: If your goal is an easy A
hypothetically, what are the best options for meeting this goal?

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:58 pm

B.B. Homemaker wrote:
Nelson wrote: If your goal is an easy A
hypothetically, what are the best options for meeting this goal?
If you're good at exams, then big black letter law classes that everyone takes: corps, evidence, admin, etc. (avoid the typical clerk classes: fed cts, con lit, complex lit). If you're bad at exams, seminars (but you have to do your due diligence since some seminars are a ton of work and/or harshly graded).

WhirledWorld

Bronze

Post by WhirledWorld » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:38 am

The easiest of A's is an independent study. Some of the Wharton classes come close though.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”