Chicago-Kent Employment Prospects

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
cheff4u

Chicago-Kent Employment Prospects

Postby cheff4u » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:39 am

What are the chances of getting hired for a NLJ 250 within Chicago or in other major markets (DC, NYC, LA) if you graduate from Chicago-Kent? Does the vault ranking (4th most underrated school) play any real significance? I realize that how well you do in the school plays a critical role. For the sake of argument, what are the chances for top 5, 10, 20 and 40% of the class?

helfer snooterbagon

Re: Chicago-Kent Employment Prospects

Postby helfer snooterbagon » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:52 am

Kent 3L here: If you do well, top 5%-10%, you can get big law in Chicago. Think Jones Day, Jenner and Block, Sidley Austin, Mayer Brown etc. However, these are the *exception*. Many graduates face a significant struggle to find employment, even when things were booming.

A lot of people, even within Chicago, have not heard of Kent. My experience has been that people just seem to know DePaul and Loyola, likely because the Undergrad bears the same name. Not too many people know to associate Kent with IIT.

irie

Postby irie » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:54 am

cheff4u wrote:What are the chances of getting hired for a NLJ 250 within Chicago or in other major markets (DC, NYC, LA) if you graduate from Chicago-Kent? Does the vault ranking (4th most underrated school) play any real significance? I realize that how well you do in the school plays a critical role. For the sake of argument, what are the chances for top 5, 10, 20 and 40% of the class?

no. vault is garbage at ranking anything school related.

gardners2

Postby gardners2 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:59 am

helfer snooterbagon wrote:Kent 3L here: If you do well, top 5%-10%, you can get big law in Chicago. Think Jones Day, Jenner and Block, Sidley Austin, Mayer Brown etc. However, these are the *exception*. Many graduates face a significant struggle to find employment, even when things were booming.

A lot of people, even within Chicago, have not heard of Kent. My experience has been that people just seem to know DePaul and Loyola, likely because the Undergrad bears the same name. Not too many people know to associate Kent with IIT.

Do you mind if I ask your GPA? This is not what I have heard from associates and partners in the Chicago Area. Most people I have spoken to seem to be impressed with Chicago-kent. I have not hear of anyone placing Depaul ahead, maybe Loyala on the same level. Why have I gotten a different perspective? I understand that Kent is not in the ranks of UIUC, but I still have heard good things.

helfer snooterbagon

Postby helfer snooterbagon » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:15 pm

GPA: 3.75
Top 2%

gardners2

Postby gardners2 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:18 pm

helfer snooterbagon wrote:GPA: 3.75
Top 2%

Are the students in the top 20%-30% struggling or does it seem to be bottom half?
Last edited by gardners2 on Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

helfer snooterbagon

Postby helfer snooterbagon » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:19 pm

Define struggling

gardners2

Postby gardners2 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:21 pm

Struggling- no jobs/summer internships/leads. Prospects bellow 70K. Anything allong those lines.

Kobe_Teeth

Postby Kobe_Teeth » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:09 pm

I'm going to go ahead and revive this thread.

I'm a 2.78/165 and looking at Kent...curious as to what others at the school or in the Chi area think.

ajmiller290

Postby ajmiller290 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:07 pm

Reviving the thread again. Admitted to Kent today, (3.5 164). Also have gotten into DePaul (20k) Loyola (15k). Which is the best choice? I'm still waiting to hear back from IUB and Ohio State, however.

ajmiller290

Postby ajmiller290 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:13 pm

Also, if I hypothetically get into both IUB and Ohio State, will those degree's be able to get me to Chicago? I just love the area and want to practice there.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:23 pm

ajmiller290 wrote:Reviving the thread again. Admitted to Kent today, (3.5 164). Also have gotten into DePaul (20k) Loyola (15k). Which is the best choice? I'm still waiting to hear back from IUB and Ohio State, however.

Assuming you want to work in Chicago, Loyola looks like the choice here. Are there any strings on those scholarships?

revrocksteady

Postby revrocksteady » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:03 pm

I hate to add onto the absolutely scary realities that are stressing us all out right now, BUT I was researching Kent and came across this online post:

http://T14 Paradise.blogspot.com/2010/03/open-window-chicago-kent-college-of-law.html

The last reader's comment at the bottom seems telling - top third of his class and a 2008 grad. A lot to think about.
Last edited by revrocksteady on Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kobe_Teeth

Postby Kobe_Teeth » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:11 pm

"Ranked around top third of class" not top 3% but he is an engineering/patent guy.

revrocksteady

Postby revrocksteady » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:16 pm

sorry for my mistype!

but still - a loaded post

Kobe_Teeth

Postby Kobe_Teeth » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:18 pm

revrocksteady wrote:sorry for my mistype!

Definitely. Patent/Engineering jobs can be had from TTTT. The value comes from your engineering background, not necessarily the legal skills.

To the OP, if you got 15K from Loyola go to Loyola. Loyola>Kent>>>DePaul.

administrator

Postby administrator » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:14 pm

Kobe_Teeth wrote:
revrocksteady wrote:sorry for my mistype!

Definitely. Patent/Engineering jobs can be had from TTTT. The value comes from your engineering background, not necessarily the legal skills.

To the OP, if you got 15K from Loyola go to Loyola. Loyola>Kent>>>DePaul.

I disagree. I would say the general perception in Chicago is that Loyola = Kent>>>DePaul. If anything, Kent has a slight edge over Loyola.

revrocksteady

Postby revrocksteady » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:38 am

I had a professor/mentor in grad school who went to Kent and raves about the school. There seems to be a lot of negative stuff out there about a ton of T2 schools, definitely T3/4s too. Personally, I applied to Kent and really want to get in. Sort of a tie for me between Kent & Depaul($) for my Chicago area school, unless Kent can give me a more competitive $$ package. (I didn't apply to Loyola). I only applied to 2 Chicago schools because I was originally focused on a different region for law school (and still am somewhat). Right now, not sure what I will do. I've gotten into higher ranked schools in other cities - Still deciding & researching myself. But I do love Chicago!

People are struggling from a number of different schools and are understandably bitter in some cases, but the education is solid (from what I know as a 0L). The grim stories definitely give us a lot to think about, but I think it is important not to let them consume the positive aspects of schools and how they align with your personal educational goals. You can go to Kent and be successful. You can go to Kent and not be successful. The same can be said for a lot of schools in Chicago, or elsewhere.

I have heard good things about the alumni network, but heard better about DePaul's network. If you rank well at the school, sounds like you can fare well in Chicago.
Last edited by revrocksteady on Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.

charlesjd

Postby charlesjd » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:48 am

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

wow.

revrocksteady

Postby revrocksteady » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:00 pm

charlesjd wrote::shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

wow.

lol Why the wow?

It just seems that being top of your class at Kent can fare better/as well as DePaul. Kent seems more IP focused, and as someone who is NOT IP, that worries me. I think/hear great things about DePaul - each school it is what you make it for yourself. Bust your ass for those 3 years regardless!

I absolutely flip flop between both schools. I am definitely worried that IF I go for a Chicago school, I will make the wrong choice and be screwed employment wise after graduation.

Was nice to see that Kent sits at #50 here. Loyola at #45.
http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... hbxlogin=1

chicagolaw2013

Postby chicagolaw2013 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:19 pm

Of the three mid-range Chicago schools, I've heard the best about DePaul's alum network. That's why I chose it over both Kent and Loyola. Plus, everyone just seemed friendlier and more interested in networking there...or maybe I just caught Kent and Loyola on bad days, and it was a sign that I was supposed to choose DePaul? Fate is creepy hahaha.

Kobe_Teeth

Postby Kobe_Teeth » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:25 pm

Anyway you slice it all three are "good" not "great"schools and all three are sorta getting on my nerves

Kent - I need a decision. For the love of God.
Loyola - Stingy with the scholly's.
DePaul - stingy with scholly renewal.

as stars burn

Postby as stars burn » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:47 am

revrocksteady wrote:I hate to add onto the absolutely scary realities that are stressing us all out right now, BUT I was researching Kent and came across this online post:

http://T14 Paradise.blogspot.com/2010/03/open-window-chicago-kent-college-of-law.html

The last reader's comment at the bottom seems telling - top third of his class and a 2008 grad. A lot to think about.

Honestly, this guy just sounds bitter...and annoying.

unbrokenchain

Postby unbrokenchain » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:40 pm

revrocksteady wrote: Kent seems more IP focused, and as someone who is NOT IP, that worries me. I think/hear great things about DePaul - each school it is what you make it for yourself. Bust your ass for those 3 years regardless!

I absolutely flip flop between both schools. I am definitely worried that IF I go for a Chicago school, I will make the wrong choice and be screwed employment wise after graduation.

I'm in the EXACT same situation and still have no clue what I'll be doing.

thinkbig

Postby thinkbig » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:44 pm

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”