Suffolk University Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
wpc1532

New

Re: Suffolk University

Post by wpc1532 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:00 am

super big bump for the the 2010 cycle!

I got my suffolk acceptance a week or so ago. It's, probably, my #1/#2. This thread has been VERY helpful, in regards to what areas to live in (potentially) and which to avoid.

oberlin08

Bronze

Post by oberlin08 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:46 pm

Just got into Suffolk as well!

orko60

New

Post by orko60 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:49 pm

Hey all. I got an email from the Dean of Admissions with an 11th hour fee waiver, so I sent the app in tonight (12 dollars for another chance at an admission? Sure!). What are my chances of getting in this late? How about getting money? I would love to move back to the east coast from LA, and it sounds like they have a good rep in the area, which is fine with me. My stats are 163/3.6. Thanks!

How are you guys who were admitted last year doing there?

Great Satchmo

Silver

Post by Great Satchmo » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:19 pm

I applied on 1/4 and I got an e-mailed the office a while back to make sure I was complete.

Still haven't heard anything...160/3.62 and hoping for money to make it an easy decision. I'd love to live in Boston.

barkingbug

New

Post by barkingbug » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:29 am

Last edited by barkingbug on Fri May 06, 2011 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

KennyinGrinnell

New

Post by KennyinGrinnell » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:29 pm

I don't know anything about suffolk's parking situation. I know the lot on the common is 20 dollars a day or something crazy.

The T is the best option for suffolk because it really is in the heart of Downtown

barkingbug

New

Post by barkingbug » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:59 am

Last edited by barkingbug on Fri May 06, 2011 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RedSox2010

New

Post by RedSox2010 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:45 pm

How do you guys think Suffolk compares to Northeastern?

cruzgator

New

Post by cruzgator » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:23 am

bump

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dgthree

New

Post by dgthree » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:10 am

AlyyyssaJones

New

Post by AlyyyssaJones » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:30 pm

Hi, I have recently been admitted to Suffolk University (Which was my 2nd choice under Boston College which I still haven't heard back from but the odds really aren't good).. However, I have no time with my undergrad schedule to make a visit and I have to decide by the 15th. I have recently gotten in to about 10 schools... rejected at 5... waitlisted at 2...

Without hearing back from UConn or Boston College.. My top two options are between Suffolk University Law in Boston and William Mitchell College of Law in St. Paul Minnesota (which I had the pleasure of visiting).

I'm not sure what to pick.. .where to go.. Does anyone have any stats on either of these?
I just need some insight. I am aware both places are very cold in the winter.. which isn't really a factor. I am also aware that both schools are very different (geographically and culturally). I just want the better school.. with good bar passage rates and a good employment rate after graduation. My plans are to go to school where I ultimately want to live.. (I could see myself in either of these places).. obviously with networking hopefully leading to an internship into a job opportunity...

Help?!

Yukos

Gold

Post by Yukos » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:06 pm

Suffolk is extremely expensive and less than 40% of its graduates get full-time long-term bar-passage-required jobs (ie the kind of jobs that you went to law school for). Only around 9% get jobs at large firms, which is pretty much what is required to pay back the $240,000 in debt you'll take out from there.

William Mitchell is barely better, placing 49% of its grads in FT LT BPR jobs. It's also considerably cheaper than Suffolk: you can get a JD from William Mitchell for the low low price of $200,000. On the other hand, it places less than 3% of its grads into large firms.

Neither of these schools are remotely worth attending for anything less than a full-ride, and even then I wouldn't go. You need to retake the LSAT.

PS It's really weird to read 2007 posts when going to Suffolk wasn't considered a disastrous decision. Pretty much everyone now will tell you "retake or don't go."

Manwhosoldtheworld

New

Post by Manwhosoldtheworld » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:01 pm

Friend is choosing mainly between Suffolk, RWU, UMass Dartmouth and Northeastern. Her GPA is under 3 and her LSAT is around median for such schools. She's not gonna retake. Scholarship info is unknown at this point.

Her goal is small law anywhere in Massachusetts. I'm not gonna convince her to retake as I've already tried. So with such options, what gives her a better chance? I was not sure where to post and figured possibly reviving the Suffolk thread would lead to help.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Manwhosoldtheworld

New

Post by Manwhosoldtheworld » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:28 pm

Anybody have any idea? I'd really prefer that she doesn't go, but you know what happens when people talk to boomer attorneys.

Ramius

Gold

Post by Ramius » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:42 pm

Manwhosoldtheworld wrote:Anybody have any idea? I'd really prefer that she doesn't go, but you know what happens when people talk to boomer attorneys.
Tell her to go to whichever is cheapest, thus minimizing just how effed she'll probably be. Warn her, warn her, and warn her some more, then use LST to hopefully talk her out of it.

Manwhosoldtheworld

New

Post by Manwhosoldtheworld » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:34 pm

I've tried to give good advice.....no idea how people can go to schools like RWU with their stats at almost sticker! I even asked in my thread in another forum about a friend I have with a slightly better LSAT score but equally as ready to dive into similar schools with a little less loans.

KennyinGrinnell

New

Post by KennyinGrinnell » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:06 pm

It is really weird to read some old posts (including my own). I went to Suffolk law class of '10. I am currently a solo practitioner in Haverhill, MA. My practice is a general practice with a focus on Criminal Defense. Most of my classmates have found work; some took longer than others. I will say that I do not regret going to Suffolk, but I wish I was a little smarter about the money I borrowed and my job prospects.

If I was choosing whether to go to Suffolk now, knowing what I know and seeing how the legal market has shifted since 2007 when I started Law School, I don't know if I would go there.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Yukos

Gold

Post by Yukos » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:09 am

Manwhosoldtheworld wrote:Friend is choosing mainly between Suffolk, RWU, UMass Dartmouth and Northeastern. Her GPA is under 3 and her LSAT is around median for such schools. She's not gonna retake. Scholarship info is unknown at this point.

Her goal is small law anywhere in Massachusetts. I'm not gonna convince her to retake as I've already tried. So with such options, what gives her a better chance? I was not sure where to post and figured possibly reviving the Suffolk thread would lead to help.
lol I didn't even know RWU had a law school. At least she has realistic goals, she just needs to make sure she keeps her debt as low as possible. And realizes that there's a significant chance she will never practice as a lower coming out of these schools.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”