Norman Adrian Wiggins School of Law, Campbell University Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
TLS_user

New

Norman Adrian Wiggins School of Law, Campbell University

Post by TLS_user » Sat Oct 08, 2005 1:59 pm

Law School Programs >> North Carolina Law Schools

law.campbell.edu
Norman Adrian Wiggins School of Law, Campbell University is located in Buies Creek, NC.

Please "post a reply" and add any comments you have about the Norman Adrian Wiggins School of Law. Many generations of prospective law students will benefit by the information you share.

WTF

New

Post by WTF » Thu May 03, 2007 2:46 pm

Anyone have any info? Campbell is my most likely destination. It seems to get a lot of respect in NC but gets no love from the rankings (T4). I was someone discouraged when I visited because the town its in (buies creek) seems mega-lame.
There are rumors of a move to raleigh, which I hope happens yesterday.

What is job placement like? Any info would be much appreciated.

AJ

New

Post by AJ » Sat May 05, 2007 5:38 pm

WTF--

I am a cycle behind you, but I may be attending there in '08.

I don't know if you're a native Tar Heel, but Campbell as you have stated has a great rep in NC. They have an extremely high bar passage rate--although their attrition rate is rather high. Not much to Buies Creek, but they are making lots of improvements to the general campus. As you have pointed out, there is AT LEAST a 50/50 chance that the Law School will move to Raleigh. I have mixed emotions about this because I think it might hurt the general college. However, it would likely increase the opportunities for the law students. I think the school may feel a little pressure from the new Elon School of Law in Greensboro.

The Campbell website portrays a school that is FOR the student. They have an online placement brochure there for employers with info on EVERY student at the school.

Personally I like the Christian commitment of the Law School. If everything works out, I hope to join you there in '08.

lookielou

New

Post by lookielou » Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:17 pm

it looks like it is moving
http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/1889984/
Exciting. I wasn't going to apply but I would love to live in Raleigh.

AJ, what do you mean by a
Christian commitment
?
I am atheist. Would I feel uncomfortable there?

prettypithy

New

Post by prettypithy » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:09 pm

I'm not familiar with the school, and I'm silly, and my first thought at seeing this thread was "Chief Wiggum has a law school?!"

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lookielou

New

Post by lookielou » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:33 pm

"Chief Wiggum has a law school?!"
:lol:

awesomepossum

Silver

Post by awesomepossum » Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:16 pm

Damn....someone beat me to it.....

AJ

New

Post by AJ » Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:00 pm

lookielou--it is a Baptist School.

I would bet that at least 98% of the people who attend there consider themselves Christian.

It's certainly not a fundamentalist place though and you would certainly be welcomed.

They have an open house day coming up this month. Maybe you should check it out.

I think the move to Raleigh will be great. I predict a great upsurge in apps.

lookielou

New

Post by lookielou » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:43 pm

a great upsurge in apps.
ugh just more competition. :lol:

Thanks for the info, AJ.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BUnit

New

Post by BUnit » Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:15 pm

They will be moving the Law School to Raleigh in 2009, which is great. I hadn't considered Campbell mainly because of the religious affiliation, which i prefer to avoid in education. But since I live in Raleigh, and don't want to sell my house, this seems to be a better option than NCCU at the moment.

Too dumb for Duke and Carolina...

I want to check out the open house. Anyone know the date off hand?

BUnit

New

Post by BUnit » Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:17 pm

Oh yeah, Raleigh is an awesome city, for those who don't know.

lookielou

New

Post by lookielou » Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:36 pm

--LinkRemoved--
October 20th

Does NCCU have a bad rep? It is so much cheaper than Campbell.

lookielou

New

Post by lookielou » Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:07 pm

How was the open house? Anyone?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

AJ

New

Post by AJ » Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:32 pm

I had to unfortunately miss the open house because of a family commitment. I'm going to try and visit the school sometime soon.

whitness

New

Re: Norman Adrian Wiggins School of Law, Campbell University

Post by whitness » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:53 pm

I had an interview in mid Feb.
Any idea on when I should have an answer?

jumpingback

New

Post by jumpingback » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:27 am

whitness wrote:I had an interview in mid Feb.
Any idea on when I should have an answer?
I went there in 06 -- and transferred. they are quick for decisions. ..

TTT 4 ME

New

Post by TTT 4 ME » Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:58 pm

i had an interview in mid february and heard back in a week or two. it was a fast turnaround.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

MyHeadHurts

New

Post by MyHeadHurts » Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:46 pm

I applied here out of strong urging from several friends and some rather distinguished people in Raleigh based on its reputation. I'm just curious who else has applied, and what their feelings on the school are?

Its awesome that it'll be in Raleigh in 08/09 (I lived there a few years ago), but how about Buies Creek? Shall we set up weekly barbecues?

Personally I'm torn, there are some other schools I'd like to attend, but the opportunities from Campbell seem like they're pretty good (especially with the school moving and its increasingly strong reputation for those who wish to stay in NC)... Do you think a degree from here would be worth as much as a say... Top 50 school?

aguyingeorgia

Silver

Post by aguyingeorgia » Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:47 pm

I wonder if Nydia in the admissions office is single...
I've been wondering that for a while now. :)

Good luck to all of you!

MyHeadHurts

New

Post by MyHeadHurts » Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:52 pm

Lol, all I know is that she's in admissions. Guess that just means I need to get my arse out there and visit the school, hmm?

Thanks for the wishes.

CaptainDirtyBird

New

Post by CaptainDirtyBird » Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:19 pm

Top 50? Not in the next three years, especially with the economic downturn we're in.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

woodford

New

Post by woodford » Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:30 pm

my grandparents actually refer to campbell as the "best law school in america"

when i told them i was applying to wake forest, they in turn told me that i shouldn't bother because campbell was a MUCH better school than wake, UNC or even duke.

so yea, Top 50? if my grandparents are any indicator, we're talking CYS instead of HYS

MyHeadHurts

New

Post by MyHeadHurts » Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:34 pm

Haha. Yeah, I've heard a lot of similar comments about the school. Just really curious about the job prospects is all, if its truly limited to NC or if its reputation has picked up at all.

If anything, it wouldn't be a bad school to go to, and transfer out of if things didn't click.

hooter

New

Post by hooter » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:47 am

Campbell has a very good reputation in North Carolina and for years has consistently had the highest bar passage rate among law schools in NC (usually 95-100%). The move to Raleigh should make admissions more competitive (as Raleigh is a great place to live) which improve Campbell's reputation both within the state and throughout the country. The move to Raleigh will also provide students with more valuable intern and externships.
In terms of job placement, Campbell students do not have much of a problem finding employment, however some of the larger "more prestigous" firms do not hire from Campbell. Campbell has only had a law school for about 30 years and there are many graduates that are beginning to recieve positions as judges and partners in reputable firms throughout the state. As the number of Campbell grads holding these positions increases, job prospects for Campbell students will expand.
Campbell does have a high attrition rate, but the rigorous standards and the emphasis on the Socratic Method ensure that students who complete the program are very well prepared to practice in the legal profession. Unlike most law schools in North Carolina that administer open book exams and set their median grades relatively high, Campbell forces students go beyond what other schools consider to be acceptable in order to be sucessful.
If you are planning on practicing law outside of North Carolina, Campbell may not be the best choice as it is relatively unknown outside of the state. In North Carolina, Campbell has an excellent reputation and a Campbell degree will give you access to a network of Campbell lawyers who have shared the unique experience of attending the school and will readily assist fellow graduates both in finding employment opportunities and learning the ropes of practicing law in North Carolina.
While some may be skeptical about Campbell due to its placement in the fourth tier and lack of name recognition, you can be assured that Campbell has excellent professors and students recieve top notch educations. There is no school in North Carolina that prepares students for the actual practice of law better than Campbell.

tarp

Bronze

Post by tarp » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:30 am

This last post sounds like a shill.

I can name at least two schools in NC that definitely prepare students for the actual practice of law better than Campbell. UNC and Wake Forest. Even Elon's new law school will probably be a better choice than Campbell.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”