Wash U 2L/transfer taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Wash U 2L

Wash U 2L/transfer taking questions

Postby Wash U 2L » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:35 pm

Hey everybody. Since i just finished an exam a few hours ago and can't really study for my next one yet, I thought i would hop on and see if I could answer any questions about Wash U in general, or any transfer admissions questions you may have. Lets have em, I need to kill some time.

Jasper12

Re: Wash U 2L/transfer taking questions

Postby Jasper12 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:42 pm

:D
Last edited by Jasper12 on Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

*devo*

Postby *devo* » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:42 pm

From where did you transfer? Class rank?

What do you like most about WashU that was not available at your previous school?

Thanks!

MTal

Postby MTal » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:44 pm

Hey man, thanks for taking questions. To cut right to the chase, how did you fare in fall OCI? How picky were employers about your being a transfer? Were those in the top-half who did not get biglaw able to get other decent paying mid-size firm jobs?

Wash U 2L

Postby Wash U 2L » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:51 pm

To Jasper: How exactly does it suck now because it stayed in the same slot as last year? Obviously if my name is "Wash U 2L", I transferred in. That kind of lack of precision and observation will not carry you far in law school. :lol: Please, no hate guys. Funny digs are ok.

To Devo: I transferred from a T4 in Texas (South Texas College of Law if you must know). I was ranked roughly 7-8% after my first year. As for what i like best, its a pretty long list. But if there was one thing I am excited about, it was all of the clinical opportunities that Wash U offers. I will be working in the Appellate Clinic next year, which takes pro se assignments from the 8th Circuit. You work on all aspects of the appeal with your clinical partners, and if oral argument is granted, one of the students makes the oral argument. So it is a pretty cool opportunity.

In general, everyone there is awesome, laid back, smart but not pretentious about it, and likes to have a good time. and as a transfer I haven't felt looked down upon at all.

Tehpokerstar

Postby Tehpokerstar » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:54 pm

What reasons did you give for transferring? Did you interview? Did you qualify for scholarships? Where else did you try to transfer to?

Jasper12

Postby Jasper12 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:55 pm

Sorry, I am so used to GWU threads that I got confused. My bad.

Wash U 2L

Postby Wash U 2L » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:56 pm

OCI was, well, hit and miss. I transferred from a Texas school and got shut out of all of my Texas bids. Maybe they held the transferring out against me. But the good thing about Wash U is that they do part lottery. Which helped. I got to speak to several firms I wouldn't have otherwise. I have to say the transfer thing probably hurt me a little in OCI, but at the same time, I still did better than I would have at my old school. I have a great job with a great firm in Nashville this summer ( I want to be in the South), and had my summer locked up by November.

As for everyone else, Wash U only ranks top 1/3. But everyone who was ranked I think had a pretty decent OCI. Its kind of a hard year to analyze, because jobs are just not what they were two years ago. The landscape has definitely changed.

Tehpokerstar

Postby Tehpokerstar » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:58 pm

Could you explain more about the lottery part?

Wash U 2L

Postby Wash U 2L » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:02 pm

My cycle was: in at Wash U and Tulane, dinged at UT, GULC and UGA, and withdrew from Emory because they took too long.

As for reasons, I think everyone knows in admissions why you are applying from a T4, and I am sure that they are just looking for bright students who can pay. No, i didn't qualify for schollys, which hurts, but i wasn't really even giving up that much at my T4, so it could have hurt a lot worse. But in my app, I tried to show some continuity between my old school and new one (Wash U i focused on my continued interest in litigation, and how I wanted to take advantage of their clinics and trial ad program [4th and 5th in nation respectively I think]).

Lastly, I didn't interview. Kinda did it on a whim as a last minute add on to my cycle because it was a free app. but as I started researching, it quickly became my top choice (along with Emory). And I went complete one day, and was accepted the next morning. So i don't think not interviewing will hurt your chances.

Wash U 2L

Postby Wash U 2L » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:04 pm

This is from memory, so don't hold me to it (visit http://law.wustl.edu/career_services/ if you want know for sure), but I think 1/3 of the interviews for each firm is a blind lottery, so that firm will interview you regardless of your rank, or lack thereof in my case. I actually got more lotteries than selections. that make more sense?

People's Eyebrow

Postby People's Eyebrow » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:10 pm

How does it work to make Law Review as a transfer? What is the appropriate deadline to send in transfer materials?

Wash U 2L

Postby Wash U 2L » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:16 pm

I don't remember when the deadline is, but I didn't go complete until June 26th. I think you may have until July 15th or so. But the earlier the better. I know that for certain.

As for law review, the week before class (and during OCI), they hold the transfer write-on for all three of the school sponsored journals. I had weddings bookending that week, which prevented me from writing on. But, most everyone I know who completed the write-on got something. You basically do one write-on packet, pref the journals 1-3, and then wait and see. I know a transfer is now the Managing Editor of the law review, so anything is possible. Also, I was just named the EIC of the IP journal that a group of students is in the process of securing school sponsorship, so there is that opportunity as well. We are hoping for sponsorship within the next 12 months. But its a long process. Either way, there is no shortage of opportunity for scholastic participation.

Tehpokerstar

Postby Tehpokerstar » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:23 pm

when you were initially applying to law schools did you think about defering a year? I mean your LSAT score probably kept you back from getting into UW initially. Was this your plan to transfer out? If so, how did you ensure that you would be able to transfer? Do you consider yourself a gunner?

Wash U 2L

Postby Wash U 2L » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:48 pm

First off, just to make sure we are clear, I'm at Wash U (in St. Louis), not UW (as in Wash State). In the event you are thinking of UW not Wash U, I didn't want to give you advice you couldn't use. Although what i say is pretty applicable across the board.

As for your question, I didn't really think about deferring for a year. I was 27 at the time I applied, and I had already retaken the LSAT. So I went to law school hoping to transfer, but not expecting it. You know the adage I'm sure, but in case you are the one person never to have heard it, "don't go somewhere you couldn't see yourself graduating from." I went somewhere I would have been content graduating from, but believed I was better than my LSAT and set out to prove it.

But that did not make me a gunner once I got to law school. I generally kept out of the professor's way in class, answered when called on, and otherwise kept quiet. Gunners never end up at the top of the class. EVER!

As far as making sure I put myself in a position to transfer, I read every day, made amazing friends, played and worked like it was my last day on earth every day, and made sure to try and spend some time with my wife and pets every day. I don't know if everyone preaches this enough, but balance is everything in this profession. No, I wasn't top in my class, but I wasn't far behind.

Leeroy Jenkins

Postby Leeroy Jenkins » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:46 pm

Wash U 2L wrote:Also, I was just named the EIC of the IP journal that a group of students is in the process of securing school sponsorship, so there is that opportunity as well. We are hoping for sponsorship within the next 12 months. But its a long process. Either way, there is no shortage of opportunity for scholastic participation.

I realize these questions may be too early for a full response, but if the IP journal gets sponsorship is it going to be part of the regular journal competition? Do you know if students in the other journals would contemplate quitting their respective journals to join the IP one when it gets off the ground?

Wash U 2L

Postby Wash U 2L » Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:31 am

When it gets school sponsorship/funding/etc, yes, it would participate in the general competition like any other journal. But again, it is in early stages. I hope that with a LOT of hard work, and a little luck, it will get school sponsorship by the time I leave. But when it does, I doubt very seriously any of the people will jump from one of the other journals to ours. Although i am sure there may be a few who would prefer to be on the new IP journal. Who knows.

OnAMission

Postby OnAMission » Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:55 am

Do you have any study tips? Explain your study habits during your first year...

Wash U 2L

Postby Wash U 2L » Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:21 pm

First year was basically as follows for each subject:

read my assigned pages once. highlight the second time through. Go to every class. After class (or at the end of classes for the day), create an outline from my notes for the day. Lather, Rinse, Repeat. Forever and ever.

I found that by doing that, I got 4 good passes at the material. Generally never had a problem with any concepts, but if i did, the professor was always willing to answer questions. Then when it came time to study for exams, I knew the material, had an outline, and only really needed to refresh.

Thats about it. Oh, and I made sure to blow off steam at least once a week, and if everything was light that week, maybe take two late nights off. I promise, you HAVE to take time away from school, or else you will get burned out by the third month and then will have ZERO motivation for exams. Trust me.

Total Litigator

Postby Total Litigator » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:01 am

Hey,

I'm not sure if you are still hanging around this thread, as you must have recently graduated from WUSL... that being said, I hope you can answer my two related questions.

I recently transfered from a school in the low 50's, ranked in my class at around top 30%. I have not completely written off OCI, but have all but done so. However, I was glad to see that you were able to get a job, although I am not sure how employers view T4 at top 8% vs. low 50's at top 30%...

I have a feeling that OCI gets a little less competitive as you proceed into the sessions (as in off campus interview programs don't go as far into the class as early OCI does, as OCI Session 1 does, as OCI session 2 does, and so on)

My two questions are: 1) At what point during OCI did you receive your offer for employment, or did you pursue the job outside the scope of OCI? 2) Did you know any transfers with a similar rank as me (30% at school in the low 50's) and do you know how they did at OCI?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”