Drexel Law vs. FSU Law

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Notsurewhattodo

Drexel Law vs. FSU Law

Postby Notsurewhattodo » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:59 pm

Thank you for viewing and/or participating in my thread. I'm in a somewhat precarious position and I'm having a bit of trouble making a decision, or even favoring one school over the other. I'm a 27-year-old paralegal in NYC. I've applied to schools all over the country, but have essentially narrowed my options down to Drexel and FSU. After law school, I'm not 100% sure where I'd like to end up, but most likely I'll want to return to NYC.

(For the record, I'd like to stay in NYC for law school and I'm still waiting to hear back from Brooklyn Law. However, even if I do get in, unless they offer me a hefty scholarship, it's probably too expensive to go.)

So here are some things I'm considering and are affecting my decision...

Drexel offered me a $25k scholarship. It would essentially cost me $5k out of pocket per year for school (plus cost of living, which I've heard isn't bad in Philly). Drexel's co-op program seems great, especially being in Philly, where I would think is more opportunity to get work experience than Tally. Philadelphia is a metropolitan area, which, I don't know, take that for what it's worth. Drexel seems to be doing everything in it's power to provide its students with a great legal education, faculty, work experience prior to graduation, and job placement after graduation. However, on the flip side...it's a new school. It's not a nationally known law school. It doesn't have the alumni network.

FSU would cost me $10k per year, as I've maintained my Florida residency. (I grew up in Florida and went to UF.) So, tuition is affordable at both schools. FSU law is a nationally known (and "ranked") school, however job placement after graduation seems to be primarily in Florida. Students seem to enjoy FSU law school, based on forums and articles I've read.

Keep in mind I haven't had a chance the visit the schools yet, which I realize may sway me one way or the other once I do. In addition, at this point, I think I may want to study IP, but that may change at some point (or not).

If anyone has any input/suggestions/feedback on either school or my options, please feel free to ring in. If anyone has any questions, I'll do my best to answer them. Thanks for the help!

hypermeganet

Re: Drexel Law vs. FSU Law

Postby hypermeganet » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:07 pm

Notsurewhattodo wrote:Thank you for viewing and/or participating in my thread. I'm in a somewhat precarious position and I'm having a bit of trouble making a decision, or even favoring one school over the other. I'm a 27-year-old paralegal in NYC. I've applied to schools all over the country, but have essentially narrowed my options down to Drexel and FSU. After law school, I'm not 100% sure where I'd like to end up, but most likely I'll want to return to NYC.

(For the record, I'd like to stay in NYC for law school and I'm still waiting to hear back from Brooklyn Law. However, even if I do get in, unless they offer me a hefty scholarship, it's probably too expensive to go.)

So here are some things I'm considering and are affecting my decision...

Drexel offered me a $25k scholarship. It would essentially cost me $5k out of pocket per year for school (plus cost of living, which I've heard isn't bad in Philly). Drexel's co-op program seems great, especially being in Philly, where I would think is more opportunity to get work experience than Tally. Philadelphia is a metropolitan area, which, I don't know, take that for what it's worth. Drexel seems to be doing everything in it's power to provide its students with a great legal education, faculty, work experience prior to graduation, and job placement after graduation. However, on the flip side...it's a new school. It's not a nationally known law school. It doesn't have the alumni network.

FSU would cost me $10k per year, as I've maintained my Florida residency. (I grew up in Florida and went to UF.) So, tuition is affordable at both schools. FSU law is a nationally known (and "ranked") school, however job placement after graduation seems to be primarily in Florida. Students seem to enjoy FSU law school, based on forums and articles I've read.

Keep in mind I haven't had a chance the visit the schools yet, which I realize may sway me one way or the other once I do. In addition, at this point, I think I may want to study IP, but that may change at some point (or not).

If anyone has any input/suggestions/feedback on either school or my options, please feel free to ring in. If anyone has any questions, I'll do my best to answer them. Thanks for the help!

Not only is Drexel not nationally known, it's not regionally known. Philly is dominated by Nova and Temple. Drexel's co-op, while nice, probably won't get you a job at Morgan Lewis even if you're near the top of your class. It probably won't get you a job at Duane Morris, either.

I don't see how you could pick Drexel unless you were going for free + a stipend. The fact you don't want to be in Philly makes Drexel a complete no-go, IMO.

superflush

Postby superflush » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:32 pm

They are both regional schools, so I think that is maybe the biggest consideration.

gottaloveJAG

Postby gottaloveJAG » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:37 pm

I'm a 1L at FSU law and I love it.
I was accepted to Brooklyn law as well, and I had to turn it down because it was too expensive (I'm in-state at FSU).
For what it's worth, I'm enjoying my classes here at FSU. The faculty is excellent, the students are cooperative (instead of competitive) and Tallahassee is pretty nice.
Please feel free to PM me or reply if you have any specific questions.
Best -

xyzzzzzzzz

Postby xyzzzzzzzz » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:47 pm

:D
Last edited by xyzzzzzzzz on Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Luis Gomez

Postby Luis Gomez » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:03 pm

I got into both schools and got full tuition scholly from Drexel and resident tuition and a nice scholly from FSU.

I researched the schools extensively and FSU seemed better inmost issues.

FSU has being constantly improving on the rankings and it is just under UF, way higher than Drexel. It is located on the State's Capital. Its main competition does not seem to dominate the market, and it has a strong reputation gained over several years.

Drexel on the other hand has an interesting Co-op Program program, which in my opinion does not compensate for the other shortcomings.

I won't attend neither school, but if those where my choices I would choose FSU. (Even over UF which also gave me a very considerable scholly)

ckbourland

Postby ckbourland » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:19 pm

1. Drexel grads do get hired by Big Law and Fed. judges.
2. On the most recent PA bar exam, Drexel had the highest bar passage rate among Philadelphia law schools. See: --LinkRemoved-- Feb, 2010.
3. Drexel is on track to be ranked as a top 100 law school. See: --LinkRemoved-- (maybe a slight bias, but still)
4. Drexel Law and FSU Law are both good schools. But, if you want to live/work in the Mid-Atlantic region, you'll benefit by starting your legal career in that area.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”