How Jesuit IS Fordham? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
revolution724

Bronze

How Jesuit IS Fordham?

Post by revolution724 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:48 am

Can't seem to find too much information out there, but I'm just wondering if anyone has a sense of how Catholic-feeling Fordham might end up being. I'm applying for a public interest fellowship there and my areas of interest and experience are pretty far removed from the Pope's party line. (My pet issue is intimate partner violence within the LGBT community.) Am I wasting my time, or are they progressive enough on these issues that I shouldn't have to worry about it?

I sincerely apologize if this offends in any way. I mean no disrespect to anyone who's Catholic, just that I'm looking for a school whose interests won't be deeply opposed to mine.

legends159

Silver

Re: How Jesuit IS Fordham?

Post by legends159 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:51 am

like not even a little bit. Fordham is just as liberal as NYU if that's your concern.

I went to the UG and if you're worried about LBGT issues, I'll just say that there is a running joke on the campus that no fordham girl can find a man because it's 70% females and about 10% straight males.

ResIpsaLoquitur

New

Post by ResIpsaLoquitur » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:51 am

I seriously doubt you'll have a problem. Think about it, you'll be in NYC. The LGBTQ community is huge, and generally accepting enough. I wouldnt worry about Fordham.

revolution724

Bronze

Post by revolution724 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:53 am

legends159 wrote:like not even a little bit. Fordham is just as liberal as NYU if that's your concern.

I went to the UG and if you're worried about LBGT issues, I'll just say that there is a running joke on the campus that no fordham girl can find a man because it's 70% females and about 10% straight males.
As a single lesbian, that makes me happy in places I don't wish to discuss on this board. >.>

Haha, well, that's good. I thought I'd seen something about somebody doing her project on reproductive rights, which would tend to suggest that I didn't have anything to worry about, but it's reassuring to have confirmation. Thanks.

John C. Calhoun

New

Post by John C. Calhoun » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:00 am

I didn't got to Fordham, but I went to another Jesuit UG in the Northeast and students/faculty were not overly religious at all. My favorite professor was a priest and I am not a christian--well, not a practicing christian. The real message that my school got across (and I think all Jesuit schools are like this) is that 1. knowledge is key 2. help others who are less fortunate. Jesuits are actually known for their love of knowledge and the Catholic church has not been to happy with them at certain points throughout their history because of this acceptance of new knowledge that didn't jive with traditional Catholic teaching.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ResIpsaLoquitur

New

Post by ResIpsaLoquitur » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:14 am

revolution724 wrote: As a single lesbian, that makes me happy in places I don't wish to discuss on this board. >.>

Haha, well, that's good. I thought I'd seen something about somebody doing her project on reproductive rights, which would tend to suggest that I didn't have anything to worry about, but it's reassuring to have confirmation. Thanks.
lol. thats funny.
Did you try Cornell. Here in Ithaca we dont have April. They actually raise a flag and celebrate gaypril.

revolution724

Bronze

Post by revolution724 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:22 am

ResIpsaLoquitur wrote:
revolution724 wrote: As a single lesbian, that makes me happy in places I don't wish to discuss on this board. >.>

lol. thats funny.
Did you try Cornell. Here in Ithaca we dont have April. They actually raise a flag and celebrate gaypril.
No, you don't have April because you're buried under ten feet of snow the whole time.

In Boston, we don't have April, we have mud.

ckoz11

New

Post by ckoz11 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:26 am

i go to fordham ugrad and its liberal for any school nevermind a jesuit institution..the gay community is large and outspoken

gold537en

New

Post by gold537en » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:42 pm

Does anyone think it would be strange/bad idea to write a LGBT diversity statement on a Fordham application?

Fordham is most likely going to be one of my safety schools, but I would like to submit the strongest application that I can.

Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:49 pm

gold537en wrote:Does anyone think it would be strange/bad idea to write a LGBT diversity statement on a Fordham application?

Fordham is most likely going to be one of my safety schools, but I would like to submit the strongest application that I can.

Thanks!
Write it. My school is not perfect (same sex partners of faculty members need to get health benefits; students are working to change that), but we have a really big, inclusive and welcoming LGBT community, and many professors who are out. This is a super supportive place, and if I ever saw homophobia here I would go into cardiac arrest. Adcomms here are LGBT friendly and will look with favor on your statement.

gold537en

New

Post by gold537en » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:54 pm

Awesome.

Mulliganstew

Bronze

Post by Mulliganstew » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:45 pm

revolution724 wrote:Can't seem to find too much information out there, but I'm just wondering if anyone has a sense of how Catholic-feeling Fordham might end up being. I'm applying for a public interest fellowship there and my areas of interest and experience are pretty far removed from the Pope's party line. (My pet issue is intimate partner violence within the LGBT community.) Am I wasting my time, or are they progressive enough on these issues that I shouldn't have to worry about it?

I sincerely apologize if this offends in any way. I mean no disrespect to anyone who's Catholic, just that I'm looking for a school whose interests won't be deeply opposed to mine.
There are very few Jesuit schools that actually tow a conservative line. Heck, some St. Louis University girls were featured in Playboy spreads from what I remember.

Informative

Bronze

Post by Informative » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:37 am

I looked at GULC, BC and Fordham. None of the schools seemed too catholic to me. Even the undergrads were not as religious as I expected, which was nice. There were a lot of jewish students at Fordham and BC who said that the schools operated more like typical universities with enhanced religious options if you wanted to participate. Nothing is required and it is not in your face at any of the schools.

Stats: 166/3.8
Acceptances: BC, BU, GW, Fordham, UCLA, UConn
WL: GULC
Denied: Cornell, Chicago

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

miamiman

Silver

Post by miamiman » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:41 am

Good friend of mine went to Santa Clara Law (jesuit). He told me something I'll never forget:
Like any self-respecting Jesuit law school, Santa Clara is almost entirely Jewish.

irish017

Bronze

Post by irish017 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:03 pm

miamiman wrote:Good friend of mine went to Santa Clara Law (jesuit). He told me something I'll never forget:
Like any self-respecting Jesuit law school, Santa Clara is almost entirely Jewish.
I was talking to a Jesuit last night who said essentially the same thing about Fordham law.

revolution724

Bronze

Post by revolution724 » Mon May 24, 2010 7:11 pm

irish017 wrote:
miamiman wrote:Good friend of mine went to Santa Clara Law (jesuit). He told me something I'll never forget:
I was talking to a Jesuit last night who said essentially the same thing about Fordham law.
Now that I'm there, I realize that it is true.

revolution724

Bronze

Post by revolution724 » Mon May 24, 2010 7:13 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:
gold537en wrote:Does anyone think it would be strange/bad idea to write a LGBT diversity statement on a Fordham application?

Thanks!
Write it. My school is not perfect (same sex partners of faculty members need to get health benefits; students are working to change that), but we have a really big, inclusive and welcoming LGBT community, and many professors who are out. This is a super supportive place, and if I ever saw homophobia here I would go into cardiac arrest. Adcomms here are LGBT friendly and will look with favor on your statement.
Oh, and FWIW, I understand that a couple of weeks ago, Fordham quietly made the decision to allow same-sex partners of faculty and staff health benefits. Personally, I think it was the whole "Georgetown does it" thing that kicked them over the edge.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”