FLorida Coastal

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
texaslawyer

Re: FLorida Coastal

Postby texaslawyer » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:23 pm

DUI defense can be quite lucrative. However, you don't always deal with the best society has to offer.
In fact criminal defense by it's very nature is nasty. Is FLorida Coastal on a par with Yale ? Of course not, howver
they were fully accredited within five yars of opening up. There have been some Florida Coastal grads get BIG LAW
jobs, however I agree they are few and far between.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:30 pm

texaslawyer wrote:DUI defense can be quite lucrative. However, you don't always deal with the best society has to offer.
In fact criminal defense by it's very nature is nasty. Is FLorida Coastal on a par with Yale ? Of course not, howver
they were fully accredited within five yars of opening up. There have been some Florida Coastal grads get BIG LAW
jobs, however I agree they are few and far between.

I agree that stuff like DUI work like that can be pretty lucrative -- in bulk. That is actually part of the reason I'm not dropping out right now. But it requires capital to get a lot of clients.

are you already a lawyer(based on your username) or just a lawl student?

texaslawyer

Postby texaslawyer » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:53 pm

No I'm not a lawyer yet. Actually I'm getting a very late start in law school. I'm in my late 50's and
have always wanted to be an attorney. I'm a native Texan so that's how we got the user name. Texas
has more really good lawyers than any other state I've ever lived. Although, FLorida ain't bad.

rman1201

Postby rman1201 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:56 pm

texaslawyer wrote:No I'm not a lawyer yet. Actually I'm getting a very late start in law school. I'm in my late 50's and
have always wanted to be an attorney. I'm a native Texan so that's how we got the user name. Texas
has more really good lawyers than any other state I've ever lived. Although, FLorida ain't bad.

Have you really been considering Florida Coastal for two years? Or are you an elaborate troll?

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:59 pm

texaslawyer wrote:No I'm not a lawyer yet. Actually I'm getting a very late start in law school. I'm in my late 50's and

you do realize that there are cheaper/much, much, much better Florida schools than Coastal right? Read: UF. Read: FSU. Read: FIU.

But you should check out this thread. viewtopic.php?f=10&t=123722&start=12650 We can help you with your decision making!!

FCSLBITEME

Postby FCSLBITEME » Thu May 05, 2011 3:33 am

This school is horrible. I am currently attending (prob not for much longer) and it is my worst nightmare. the reason the passage rate for the BAR is so high is because they give you bar exam style questions from the VERY BEGINNING of your law school career. your tests are like BAR exam tests. And they don't give you any forgiveness for getting them wrong. you fail your test, you fail out of FCSL. The "cream of the crop" that stay here aren't necessarily smart kids, good students, or anything of the sort. They are just good test takers and know how to pass the "one minded" BAR style tests. Before I came to law school I thought the american legal system was a common law one. open to interpretation. But I sorely misunderstood. FCSL has inconsiderate professors and the ones that aren't just don't say much because they're getting paid the big bucks to keep their mouths shut. The GPA requirements are stringent. If you don't make a certain GPA, you can't keep coming here regardless if you passed your classes with a passing grade. THEY DONT WANT YOU HERE. they need to make room for the next batch of naive 1Ls.

Now you ask me, why is their passage rate higher than UF, etc. I answered your question.

Why is the worst law school in the nation despite? I answered your question.

I have more to say, but not enough time to say it. Choose wisely. if you don't have the LSAT for UF or FSU, take it again. if that is not an option. DONT GO TO LAW SCHOOL,. Choose another career or go somewhere better. I am warning you. this school will make you want to commit suicide and become a pole dancer or gigolo. DONT COME HERE.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Thu May 05, 2011 3:42 am

FCSLBITEME wrote:This school is horrible. I am currently attending (prob not for much longer) and it is my worst nightmare. the reason the passage rate for the BAR is so high is because they give you bar exam style questions from the VERY BEGINNING of your law school career. your tests are like BAR exam tests. And they don't give you any forgiveness for getting them wrong. you fail your test, you fail out of FCSL. The "cream of the crop" that stay here aren't necessarily smart kids, good students, or anything of the sort. They are just good test takers and know how to pass the "one minded" BAR style tests. Before I came to law school I thought the american legal system was a common law one. open to interpretation. But I sorely misunderstood. FCSL has inconsiderate professors and the ones that aren't just don't say much because they're getting paid the big bucks to keep their mouths shut. The GPA requirements are stringent. If you don't make a certain GPA, you can't keep coming here regardless if you passed your classes with a passing grade. THEY DONT WANT YOU HERE. they need to make room for the next batch of naive 1Ls.

Now you ask me, why is their passage rate higher than UF, etc. I answered your question.

Why is the worst law school in the nation despite? I answered your question.

I have more to say, but not enough time to say it. Choose wisely. if you don't have the LSAT for UF or FSU, take it again. if that is not an option. DONT GO TO LAW SCHOOL,. Choose another career or go somewhere better. I am warning you. this school will make you want to commit suicide and become a pole dancer or gigolo. DONT COME HERE.

excellent

flcath

Postby flcath » Thu May 05, 2011 4:22 am

The Infilaw issue is one that honest-to-God saddens me.

I mean, it's just 3 schools, so removing them from the ABA list won't do much to save the profession in a practical sense (it's far too super-saturated). But on principle, the fact that a hedge fund is allowed to take millions of dollars in federal money from desperate kids, only to dump them into the market at a detriment to both themselves and real lawyers... is truly disgusting.

The ABA has openly acknowledged its impotence to make the real strides in accreditation that could save the dignity of the profession. But certainly they can stop this.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”