University of Michigan Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
sunnyea

New

Post by sunnyea » Fri May 11, 2007 8:39 pm

thanks crim and alexandria, i guess that means there's a visit to ann arbor in my near future...i hope the housing isn't like madison (which i'm guessing it is) and everything rents out in october/november for august.

Alexandria

Silver

Post by Alexandria » Fri May 11, 2007 9:18 pm

Stuff definitely hasn't all been gone since last fall, but yeah, I wouldn't wait too long, especially if you do want to live within walking distance.

betsyanna

New

Post by betsyanna » Sun May 13, 2007 12:45 pm

I've lived in downtown and farther out, and both are fine. Yes, parking's bad, but public transportation's great. Buses are clean, on time, and free for students--I take the bus into town every day, and it's not much slower than driving in and parking.

For downtown living, I'd recommend Kerrytown or 4th Ave/Main St./west of Main St. Both are walkable--about 10-15 minutes from campus. Any closer and you'll be entering undergrad territory, which can be pretty gross.

For driving in, there are plenty of apts. down Main St./Ann Arbor-Saline Rd. and in the mall area. There are also lots if you drive down Packard toward Ypsilanti. If people are in town when I'm around this summer, I'd be happy to give advice or directions.

UglyBetty

New

Post by UglyBetty » Thu May 24, 2007 5:52 pm

I'm living down S. Main Street! Not bad at all, it's a straight drive. I plan on taking the buses whenever possible, though, since gas is roughly fourteen dollars a gallon.

seagull48

New

Post by seagull48 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:21 am

bump.

let's get it together, michigan kids. school's starting soon. are you guys going to be around for all those orientation activities? service day, and all that? i'll be in ann arbor this saturday, what about the rest of ya'll?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Katkins

New

Post by Katkins » Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:02 am

Hi seagull!

seagull48

New

Post by seagull48 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:28 pm

hi katkins! hope you're having fun (?) in law school!

prophecybysnakes

New

Post by prophecybysnakes » Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:15 pm

This is my first post but I figured I'd dole out a few tidbits since I went to undergrad at Michigan (and would go to law school here if I had the numbers) Pretty much everything mentioned is valid but I'd like to stress the whole walking distance thing. This is the way to go in ann arbor. But the bus system is excellent so if you do end up commuting the bus trip is super short (about 6 min or so)...For anyone who hasn't visited yet and isn't sure, I'd just like to add that A2 is the quintessential college town and almost nothing beats football saturdays in fall even if you're not a fan of the sport. Obvi the architecture and the prestige are all great but it's the laid back michiganders that really make the school what it is. I can't address the law school specifically but I hope this helps anyone considering michigan for next year. Gotta tout my alma mater...

hameeds2

New

Re: University of Michigan

Post by hameeds2 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:59 am

hey guys,

those that got accepted, mind telling me what your numbers were? I have a 3.6 GPA and I know I should shoot for 167 + but I wanted to know what your numbers were to see what I should aim for. I don't think I qualify as a urm (I was born in America but my parents are from India, so Indian-American)

Thanks! and Congrats I wish I can get into U of M too!!! That's my dream school!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rockchalk86

Silver

Post by rockchalk86 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:08 pm

This may seem like a ridiculous question, but how awesome is Michigan Law? I am seriously considering attending and am falling in love with michigan more and more everyday. In general, how happy are you current students with the choice you made to attend?

jackassjim

Bronze

Post by jackassjim » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:21 pm

Re: Parking

It is worth noting that you can get something bigger/nicer for cheaper if you live slightly outside walking distance. You can also rent a parking spot right off the law quad for about 80-90 dollars a month. You can save at least that much by living farther away, and you'll avoid the horrible (!!!) apartments that are usually rented to undergrads. Echoing what others said, buses are cool if you live next to a line.

Obviously, the disadvantage of such a setup is that it's harder to go out, drink and get home without resorting to taxis (which are easy to get).

JetstoRJC

Bronze

Post by JetstoRJC » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:25 pm

I realize this is an old thread, but while we are on the subject of housing...

The idea of living slightly off campus in a nicer apartment for less is very appealing to me. I am married so the social aspect of living on campus is not worth much to me. Any suggestions on where to look for the best deals?

jackassjim

Bronze

Post by jackassjim » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:43 am

JetstoRJC wrote:I realize this is an old thread, but while we are on the subject of housing...

The idea of living slightly off campus in a nicer apartment for less is very appealing to me. I am married so the social aspect of living on campus is not worth much to me. Any suggestions on where to look for the best deals?
Sent you a PM

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

umichgrad

Bronze

Post by umichgrad » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:26 am

For housing, if you're looking to live off-campus but still within a short drive or a long walk (20-30 minutes, a lot of people do it) I'd strongly suggest Kerrytown and North Main St. Kerrytown is the little historic quarter and you can get quite nice apartments anywhere from a 15-30 minute walk from campus. Most come with washer/dryer in the basement and a parking space or two. Parking on campus, however, is a mean and nasty bitch.

Also I'd suggest the West Side, it's where a lot of grad students live. It's a little farther but still in downtown, and the apartments are nice (about $1200 for a typical two-bedroom). If you really need to live within a short walk from the law school, I'd look on Oxford Road and the surrounding area, though it's undergrad heavy and frankly a little scummy.

I lived there four years + so feel free to PM me with questions.

yurishima

New

Post by yurishima » Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:36 pm

I, too, am married. What about options for families on-campus? It will only be my wife and me, and we're pretty good at roughing it, so we can make do with anything. The selling points are only price and closeness to the law school. I did a bit of cursory searching on the UM website, but I dunno... It'd be nicer and more helpful to hear it from an actual student.

And a more logistical question: will it be possible to apply online, to either on or off-campus, and then simply move in when I get there? In short, I only want to make one trip to Ann Arbor--when I go there for good.

yurishima

New

Post by yurishima » Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:40 pm

Northwood!

....???

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”