Texas Tech Rank, why so low?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
Bosque
Posts: 1585
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:14 pm

Re: Texas Tech Rank, why so low?

Postby Bosque » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:05 am

Hmm. I was just looking at the US news rankings, and I think I might have figured out why:
Careers
2006 full-time graduates employed at graduation 0.4 %


That is a scary number.

jcwilsn1
Posts: 132
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:35 pm

Re: Texas Tech Rank, why so low?

Postby jcwilsn1 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:21 am

All schools have "employment at graduation" extremely low.

Snooker
Posts: 360
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:50 pm

Re: Texas Tech Rank, why so low?

Postby Snooker » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:22 am

Maybe it's because their salary information is totally falsified by simply hand-picking applicants who got really good jobs in their surveys and excluding everyone else. Maybe the top 5% of the class will make biglaw and its six figure salaries. Another lucky thirty or forty percent get $50,000. The bottom half gets a princely $35,000. Can you imagine going 60k in debt to earn 35k? Can you?

Oh and it's in Lubbock, Texas, hick capital of the world. Do you seriously want to spend three years where everyone speaks with that stereotypical drawly heavy Texas accent from movies?

Texas applicants should look to UT and UH, and if you REALLY are driven to be a lawyer with low scores, Baylor or SMU.

User avatar
riburn3
Posts: 88
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:56 am

Re: Texas Tech Rank, why so low?

Postby riburn3 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:34 am

Snooker wrote:Maybe it's because their salary information is totally falsified by simply hand-picking applicants who got really good jobs in their surveys and excluding everyone else. Maybe the top 5% of the class will make biglaw and its six figure salaries. Another lucky thirty or forty percent get $50,000. The bottom half gets a princely $35,000. Can you imagine going 60k in debt to earn 35k? Can you?

Oh and it's in Lubbock, Texas, hick capital of the world. Do you seriously want to spend three years where everyone speaks with that stereotypical drawly heavy Texas accent from movies?

Texas applicants should look to UT and UH, and if you REALLY are driven to be a lawyer with low scores, Baylor or SMU.


I would absolutely love to see where you got your information regarding TTU and their salary reporting. I love people on this site that just spit off whatever numbers they want while citing no true source. I truly hope for your sake this is just a forum habit and not a RL habit. And while I doubt that the salary numbers are truly that high in which they report. TTU is the only law school Between Dallas and Albuquerque which gives it's students an area which includes El Paso, Midland/Odessa, Eastern NM, Abeliene, etc..to practrice law with no school whatsoever providing competition in the area. While it is a regional school, it can claim one of the largest regions in the country as its own.

I would also like to know where you get your Lubbock is "hick capital of the world" impression? Have you spent extensive time in Lubbock? Do realize just about everyone in Texas outside of El Paso speaks with at least some sort of drawl??? What exactly is wrong with the Texas drawl? Are you trying to stereotype it negatively? If you have actually stayed and lived in Lubbock you would know that it is an active college town with a great bar scene, college sports, and restraunts much like any other good college town. You would also know that it's a fairly diverse place compared to the rest of the country with a population that is 25% Hispanic, 9%African American, and 14% contributing from races that are "non-white". (See 2000 US CENSUS)

Sure TTU isn't in a major metro area, but for people that are looking for a nice active college town environment with literally no other local legal competition, TTU is a good option.

--I would like to note that I am not planning on attending TTU, but I have spent a few years of my life in Lubbock after living in a major metro area, and found it to be a fun youthful college town that still maintains a young professional population outside of the school year.

txag_09
Posts: 52
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:06 pm

Re: Texas Tech Rank, why so low?

Postby txag_09 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:40 pm

TEXAS TECH UNIVERSITY
I live on a piece of dirt so flat that we call the four degree incline at the intersection of 19th and Brownfield "the Big Hill". I get dirt in my eyes, hair, and teeth when I walk to class. I can out drink anyone from any other school because that is what we do best. If I'm not drunk by 4:30pm I'm high. I can't buy beer within 50 miles of where I live - so I trek to the strip, which my friends and I all consider a true paradise on Earth. I don't go to many football games. I don't go to any organizational meetings. I don't really go to anything. Not even class. I like the fact that Will Rogers' horse's ass points to College Station. I fry cow balls. I know where Buddy Holly used to live. I am desperately trying to find a rival within our conference to make fun of. Our football players get caught by the NCAA. If I'm not drunk by 4:30pm, I'm high. But I'm usually drunk by 4:30pm. Or I'm high. And what the hell is that smell?
I am a Red Raider.


This is why no one would want to go to Tech.

User avatar
Jasper12
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:28 pm

Re: Texas Tech Rank, why so low?

Postby Jasper12 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:46 pm

YellowRose wrote:Research Lubbock and make sure you think you'd be ok living here.

Cons: It is voted over and over as the most conservative town of its size in the US. It's quite a culture shock for someone who isn't used to Wednesday nigh being reserved for bible study. It's 5 hours away from Dallas (closest place for a rock concert or a good museum exhibit). It is not culturally diverse by any standards. It smells like shit when the wind blows from a particular direction because of the farm fields on the outskirts of town. It has notorious dust storms during the Spring semester.

Pro: the cost of living is outrageously low (I pay 250 in rent, all bills included) and the weather is pleasant. It snows once or twice a year. Tech football is quite entertaining as it is one of the few things to do during the fall semester. People are very friendly. The campus really is nice with great facilities and a substantial amount of activities (plays, performances, free movies, etc.)

I attended Texas Tech as an undergraduate and am currently in graduate school (I also took a class at the law school my junior year). I received a full ride to Tech Law, laughed and threw the letter away. However, if you want to practice in West Texas or Dallas, you'll have a degree and probably pass the bar. Whether you'll enjoy your time here is a different story. The general opinion from local firms is that Tech prepares students very fell for the actual day to day undertaking of a lawyer and doesn't focus on the ideologies of law. It's very practical (probably why the bar rate is so high, but not very academic). I hope that makes sense.

PM if you have any specific questions about either Tech or Lubbock in general.


Because I am extremely concerned about Museum exhibits while in Law School?

User avatar
kalede
Posts: 159
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:59 am

Re: Texas Tech Rank, why so low?

Postby kalede » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:21 am

I grew up in Lubbock, and my father went to law school at TTU and is currently is a lawyer there. I don't much direct experience with the school, but I have heard a little about the school from him. One of the things he says quite a bit is that Texas Tech grads tend to be very well-prepared for the practical aspects of practicing law moreso than UT grads, based on the experience he's had with the law students he's hired from both TTU and UT.

As far as Lubbock goes... well, it's not my favorite place. But Tech has a large campus with good facilities, and there's usually something going on. The areas around Tech are being developed more now, and so there's a lot of new things popping up every day. Tech's now-defunct radio station would bring in a fair number of interesting indie bands, but since the school shut it down, I'm not sure that'll keep happening.

Anyway. I'm not super-helpful with questions about TTU's law school, but I can certainly answer any questions you have about Lubbock.

User avatar
texas08
Posts: 91
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:43 pm

Re: Texas Tech Rank, why so low?

Postby texas08 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:17 pm

txag_09 wrote:I like the fact that Will Rogers' horse's ass points to College Station.


I'm also going to have to take the time to point out that most, if not all, of the kids that I know at A&M think it's hilarious that the Tech kids think that we are rivals. UT vs. A&M rivalry, yes. Tech vs. A&M, no. (This, at least in modern times, has little to do with year to year football rankings and much more to do with history and tradition)

User avatar
cqphan89
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun May 06, 2007 6:45 pm

Re: Texas Tech Rank, why so low?

Postby cqphan89 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:37 pm

texas08 wrote:
txag_09 wrote:I like the fact that Will Rogers' horse's ass points to College Station.


I'm also going to have to take the time to point out that most, if not all, of the kids that I know at A&M think it's hilarious that the Tech kids think that we are rivals. UT vs. A&M rivalry, yes. Tech vs. A&M, no. (This, at least in modern times, has little to do with year to year football rankings and much more to do with history and tradition)


In truth, in the whole scheme of things, we don't think y'all are rivals. We don't see rivalry the same why y'all do. As the top three public schools in the state, we're in the same league, and we're in the Big 12, that's the only reason we care. In truth, we just like beating Aggies and seeing pictures of your Corps (which has no affiliation to the military) during football games and laughing at how utterly ridiculous y'all are. We just see A&M as comical and really pathetic. Oh and... WHOOP! Lassie is cute and all, but honestly she seems a little... "special..." but of course... she's a "purebreed" so I'm not surprised.

Tech is so free spirited and full of life and great hospitality, and just amazing people, we don't really like schools that brainwash their students and have weird and near incestuous traditions (i.e Midnight Makeout, WHOOP!, and your utter awe and love affair with Lassie, I'm sorry... Reveille. I love animals, but that's a dog, there are limits. Also, I will never forget pictures of your corps during football games. gosh... gross... I'm all for homosexuality and freedom to do whatever you want, but I don't appreciate PDA, especially on national television).

User avatar
cqphan89
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun May 06, 2007 6:45 pm

Re: Texas Tech Rank, why so low?

Postby cqphan89 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:43 pm

txag_09 wrote:TTU is rated low because there is an inverse relationship between rank and STD rate.


Actually it's Lubbock County with high STD rates not Texas Tech. In this case there seems to be a direct correlation between high STD rates and abstinence only education. Tech is not involved in the situation, except that the Child Development Research Center is working to find ways to lower the situation and educate the community at large. Nice try though.

User avatar
texas08
Posts: 91
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:43 pm

Re: Texas Tech Rank, why so low?

Postby texas08 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:53 pm

cqphan89 wrote:In truth, in the whole scheme of things, we don't think y'all are rivals. We don't see rivalry the same why y'all do.


Ok. I was just basing my opinion off of the many people who I have met who attended Tech and the many facebook groups devoted to the "rivalry."

cqphan89 wrote:As the top three public schools in the state, we're in the same league


First off, I'm just going to be mean. Hey! Remember the time Tech lost their accredidation? Yea, that was, what, two years ago?

Also, according to USNWR (which as we know is the TLS'ers Bible), UT and A&M are ranked 47 and 64 respectively on the list of National Universities (and on the list of Top Public Schools, 15 and 24, which Tech is not listed on). Tech is listed as an unnumbered Tier 3 along with UT Dallas, which has a lower percentage of acceptances (i.e. more selective) which leads me to believe that if they were ranked, UTD would be the better school.

cqphan89 wrote:near incestuous traditions


This doesn't even make sense. So if I kiss my date (of no relation to myself) at Midnight Yell, I am comitting incest? Interesting point of view.

cqphan89 wrote:but I don't appreciate PDA, especially on national television


Hey! You probably saw me then :wink:

cqphan89 wrote:seeing pictures of your Corps (which has no affiliation to the military)


Actually, it does have an affiliation with the military. Maybe if you met a few of the many young men and women who are training to serve our country you would have more respect for them.

I understand some of the things that people say about A&M, but we have this quote "From the outside looking in you can't understand it, and from the inside looking out you can't explain it." I like to think I can look at it from a somewhat open-minded point of view (I went from Brown to A&M, talk about polar opposites). Yes, we have some wierdos, but what school doesn't? I happened to love all of the traditions and while I'm looking forward to something new, my time at A&M was well spent.

User avatar
cqphan89
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun May 06, 2007 6:45 pm

Re: Texas Tech Rank, why so low?

Postby cqphan89 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:52 pm

texas08 wrote:
cqphan89 wrote:In truth, in the whole scheme of things, we don't think y'all are rivals. We don't see rivalry the same why y'all do.


Ok. I was just basing my opinion off of the many people who I have met who attended Tech and the many facebook groups devoted to the "rivalry."

cqphan89 wrote:As the top three public schools in the state, we're in the same league


First off, I'm just going to be mean. Hey! Remember the time Tech lost their accredidation? Yea, that was, what, two years ago?

Also, according to USNWR (which as we know is the TLS'ers Bible), UT and A&M are ranked 47 and 64 respectively on the list of National Universities (and on the list of Top Public Schools, 15 and 24, which Tech is not listed on). Tech is listed as an unnumbered Tier 3 along with UT Dallas, which has a lower percentage of acceptances (i.e. more selective) which leads me to believe that if they were ranked, UTD would be the better school.

cqphan89 wrote:near incestuous traditions


This doesn't even make sense. So if I kiss my date (of no relation to myself) at Midnight Yell, I am comitting incest? Interesting point of view.

cqphan89 wrote:but I don't appreciate PDA, especially on national television


Hey! You probably saw me then :wink:

cqphan89 wrote:seeing pictures of your Corps (which has no affiliation to the military)


Actually, it does have an affiliation with the military. Maybe if you met a few of the many young men and women who are training to serve our country you would have more respect for them.

I understand some of the things that people say about A&M, but we have this quote "From the outside looking in you can't understand it, and from the inside looking out you can't explain it." I like to think I can look at it from a somewhat open-minded point of view (I went from Brown to A&M, talk about polar opposites). Yes, we have some wierdos, but what school doesn't? I happened to love all of the traditions and while I'm looking forward to something new, my time at A&M was well spent.


1. Sadly, the accreditation issue was an embarrassing situation. But, if you did a little bit of research, you would know we never lost accreditation we were put on probation, which is still terrible but the only reason was because President Whitmore didn't file the proper paperwork. Hence, his dismissal. Our accreditation has been restored , and long before the end of the probationary period.

2. Rankings don't really mean much in undergrad, not as much as specialty rankings. But, clearly you don't know much about funding. The State of Texas currently funds the UT System and TAMU System immensely. The Texas Tech system and the UH and Texas State System does not receive the same caliber of funding that you do. All of our funding is from private donors and from the federal government due to our various research. We're also ranked as the up and coming school to take a look at (also via U.S News and world Report). We also own our respective job market and have very strong networks in the Dallas region, we are on par if not better than Baylor and SMU in various fields.

UT Dallas only has more stringent acceptance rates because they only have specific programs worth anything (engineering). Because of this, they have a smaller demographics thus their statistics are skewed. If you look at different colleges and their acceptance rates,you wouldn't make such a flawed assumptions about the strength of our programs.

Engineering and business we have top 50 programs.

Engineering: A&M Isn't bad but your research doesn't compare to ours. We are working on Nanophotonics which is the future of the "green movement" and is going to save the nation millions of dollars in energy. Research it, it's interesting. We are also the leaders in Wind Science Engineering. We were also selected and have been working with Stanford, MIT and Cal Tech to work in Pulsed Power and Power electronics for the Department of Defense. We're working to save lives.

Business: Among the Top Finance programs in the nation. In 2007 Business Week ranked us as one of the top ten schools that fortune 500 companies prefer to hire from.

Mass Communications: We have the top 10 colleges in the nation. We are the only program in the state and one of the few in the naton were every single of of our mass comm majors are completely accredited and ranked. We also have the top 10 PUblic Relatiosn programs in the nation and the King of PR Research (via PRSA). We have the nations top research in advertising, brain and cognitive sciences focusing on sensory movement. UT and A&M has been trying to steal several of our Mass Comm professors for the past few years.

Architecture: Top 2 programs in the nation. We also have unique accelerated programs.

International Programs: We one of the top universities in the nation for study abroad opportunities and we are better known internationally than within the respective region. We have campuses in Germany and Spain and we have extension campuses all over the world. We also have more than 200 distance education centers.

We also have the largest Viet Nam War archive in the WORLD. We have the second largest conglomerate of material related to Southeast Asia wars in the world, second to the U.S

Health Science Center: One of the top medical programs in the nation and is ranked as the 2nd best place to work at in the state of Texas. Nursing program is one of the unique 10 programs offering a PhD in nursing. We have a top 15 Allied Health Program... etc.

On top of this, we are the largest continuous campus in the nation with the law school, med school, grad school right on campus with the undergrad. For an undergrad this is the BEST opportunity and that's why we can offer a lot of accelerated and unique duel degree programs that most schools cannot.

I could continue on and go into further detail. If you're going to try to talk shit about Tech academics, you should do some research about our programs.

4) Tech, UT and A&M are pretty much on par with one another. Some programs are stronger at one school over anotehr but at the end of the day, we're fairly similar. We are the leading contender to be the third flagship of Texas and when we get it and start receiving the same caliber of funding that y'all do, it'll be a different story. Already we're acquiring a lot of your schools. In the next ten years you better believe that West Texas A&M will no longer be in your system nor will UTEP and the schools in the same elk. We already aquired Angelo State from the Texas State System and we're in negotations for more schools. Basically, rankings don't say much, especially if you take a closer look at how schools are analyzed. Location, diversity, acceptance rate (which, recently we had a lower acceptance rate than A&M), etc.

5) The incestuous behavior had nothing to do with Midnight Yell. Midnight Yell is definitely trashy, but that's my opinion, but the incestuous behavior goes way beyond that. I should call a UT person to come in and explain to you because I couldn't do it without being a bitch. Your activities are very questionable. Maybe it's not fair for me to judge because my main experience with your interesting behavior stems from the various conferences that I've attended with TAMU kids. From the people who attend conferences from TAMU, you have no respect for anyone, you are rude, and activities are really gross, I have seen some really sketch things and I'm from soCal. Given, it's only a small quantity of students each time but after awhile, it seems to represent a good portion of TAMU students. Gross. I don't want to post pictures because they're personal individuals but I will.

6) This is the PDA that I'm not okay with.
Image

7) Actually, I am friends with a lot of people in the military and I have a lot of close friends who are currently stationed all around the world. I have the most respect and love for our men and women in the military. What I don't like about A&M is that you act as if your "corps" is similar to a true military school like Westpoint, Naval Academy, etc. which is an insult to these amazing schools. I'm also not okay with the TAMU holier than thou attitude as if your Corps is really something special, when it's similar to an ROTC program, at best. Which is respectable but not at the same caliber as true military schools I personally would argue (because I'm biased) that our ROTC/AFROTC programs are slightly stronger than yours, but that's my biased belief. We do have one of the top Military Science degrees in the nation, among other things.

8)I'm glad that you enjoyed yourself at TAMU, it's a good school and for those who can attend, it's great for them. I probably attacked too soon. But I don't like when people go onto another schools thread and makes negative inferences about the school, when they don't know much if anything about the programs. The fact that Tech is my alma mater, you better believe I'm not okay with it. I know this was a long post but, when someone attacks, I definitely counter.

User avatar
cqphan89
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun May 06, 2007 6:45 pm

Re: Texas Tech Rank, why so low?

Postby cqphan89 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:56 pm

PS that was a great game. Fall 2006. Less than a minute on the clock and we deliver an amazing touchdown...

User avatar
texas08
Posts: 91
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:43 pm

Re: Texas Tech Rank, why so low?

Postby texas08 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:26 pm

I'm only going to respond to the parts I actually care about and then I'm done with this thread...

cqphan89 wrote:International Programs: We one of the top universities in the nation for study abroad opportunities and we are better known internationally than within the respective region. We have campuses in Germany and Spain and we have extension campuses all over the world. We also have more than 200 distance education centers.


This is cool...

cqphan89 wrote:Tech, UT and A&M are pretty much on par with one another. Some programs are stronger at one school over anotehr but at the end of the day, we're fairly similar.


This is not true at all. UT is better then A&M and both are MUCH better than Tech. I'm sorry that you don't receive as much funding (which I'm going to take as true b/c I don't care enough about it to put in the research) but that clearly emphasizes the fact that Tech is, in fact, NOT on par with UT and A&M.

cqphan89 wrote:Already we're acquiring a lot of your schools. In the next ten years you better believe that West Texas A&M will no longer be in your system nor will UTEP and the schools in the same elk.


Good, you can have them. While you're at it, would you guys like A&M - Kingsville? I'm tired of those kids pretending they go to the real A&M when they don't. (I'm sorry, I know this is coming off as totally elitist, but it is really frustrating when you are talking to someone and they claim to go to the same school as you and then you realize five minutes later that they don't)

cqphan89 wrote:Location, diversity, acceptance rate (which, recently we had a lower acceptance rate than A&M), etc.


First of all, I wasn't claiming that you should only look at acceptance rate. I was simply pointing out that between two schools that are in the same Tier (which A&M and Tech are NOT) it might be a good place to make a distinction. Also, for the record, A&M has a high acceptance rate but also a high yield rate, which makes a huge difference in how you look at it. In fact, I believe we were in the Top 5 or 10 undergraduate institutions with the highest yield. Basically, people that apply to A&M actually go there when accepted because it is their first choice.

cqphan89 wrote:What I don't like about A&M is that you act as if your "corps" is similar to a true military school like Westpoint, Naval Academy, etc. which is an insult to these amazing schools.


Not a single person I have met that is either in the Corps and/or and A&M student has EVER made this claim. It is not the same and no one thinks that it is. Which, btw, I was accepted to two "such schools" and decided to go to A&M instead (although mostly because the idea of me being in the military, if you met me, is kind of ridiculous. I would be the worst soldier ever).

cqphan89 wrote:we are the largest continuous campus in the nation


Oh man, I'm going to have to go against our Texas motto here, which totally breaks my heart, but bigger isn't better, better is better.

cqphan89 wrote:we are on par if not better than Baylor and SMU in various fields


I find this really hard to believe although I have no way to back up my opinion because once again I don't care enough to do the research. Baylor is an OK school, but it rivals Tech for worst locations ever (and I lived in Lubbock and have visited Waco mulitiple times). I didn't even apply to Baylor Law because I refuse to live in Waco. SMU is a good school, but man would I have had some serious debt already had I gone there.

I didn't intend this to be an "attack" on your school. In fact, my original post was merely about the supposed "rivalry." However, in response to that post you attacked A&M and I think it a tad ridiculous that you would claim to be on par or better than A&M. Maybe I'll meander over to the Harvard thread and claim to be better than them. Surely I can pull some bullshit out of my ass that purports our superiority :mrgreen: . I'm glad that at least I know the limitations and oddities of my own school.

User avatar
riburn3
Posts: 88
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:56 am

Re: Texas Tech Rank, why so low?

Postby riburn3 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:40 pm

I like that a supposed rivalry started the whole argument over which Texas public school is better. The big 3 Texas public schools all kind of have a rivalry due to being in Texas and in the same conference division. You're wrong if you say TTU and A&M aren't a rivalry as they certainly are based on geography and conference affiliation. I know A&M says UT is their sole rival, but in the grand scheme of things they aren't even UT's biggest rival. Everyone living in Texas knows the biggest rivalry out of all three schools is the UT/OU rivalry. That's the only one that really matters. By the time UT and A&M face off on thanksgiving weekend, no one gives a shit, except maybe for A&M who are constantly in perpetual UT envy.

And in the grand scheme of things in the Great State of Texas, this UG pissing match of which school is better is kind of worthless as all three schools are going to give you awesome job prospects in just about every city as long as you picked a decent/useful major. That's how all UG schools are these days and even when going to grad school, you can go just about anywhere from any of these schools provided you maintained a good enough GPA and score well on your GRE, MCAT, LSAT, etc...

rhortx
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:33 pm

Re: Texas Tech Rank, why so low?

Postby rhortx » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:38 pm

In regard to taking the GRE (as mentioned in the above post), here is a site where you can take a timed, practice GRE EXAM to get a sense of how you would perform on it:

http://www.freemultiplechoicetests.com/?category=GRE

thanks
Rh

User avatar
cqphan89
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun May 06, 2007 6:45 pm

Re: Texas Tech Rank, why so low?

Postby cqphan89 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:31 pm

riburn3, I agree.

Anyways, when it comes down to it, this Aggies biggest debate is equivalent to:

Schools like Claremont McKenna or Swathmore are not on par with Texas A&M or any nationally ranked school because they are not ranked in the same tier as us. Actually, since those schools aren't ranked nationally, at all, they must be shit schools. Since they don't receive funding from their respective states, they really suck and it just shows they really aren't up to par.

Funny part. These two schools, among others, are liberal arts universities and are ranked among the top 10 in the nation via the specialty rankings not only as liberal arts schools, but in the vast majority of their programs. These schools, make all Texas schools and most universities throughout the world look mediocre. The programs and professors they offer are not only top notch but completely to die for. But none of that counts, it's all "bullshit" and information that these schools and alumni just pull out of their asses to feel on par with all the amazing and superior 'nationally' ranked universities.

I could go further, but I'm heading to the beach. It's so hot right now in SoCal...

In end, the difference between the OP and I, even though we're both pretty much bitches, is that I don't go onto another schools pages or threads, and make inferences about the students or university. And after, I don't attack the school and call it mediocre or sub par or whatever, whether I believe it or not. This is especially when I don't know a darn thing about the school, programs and what it offers. That's equivalent to Russell Brand visiting the United States and talking shit about our country and leaders. Whether you believe it or not, whether it's true or not, it's rude and disrespectful. Talk shit, make inferences, under your own roof.

suidreams
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:39 pm

Re: Texas Tech Rank, why so low?

Postby suidreams » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:42 am

cqphan89 wrote:4) Tech, UT and A&M are pretty much on par with one another. Some programs are stronger at one school over anotehr but at the end of the day, we're fairly similar. We are the leading contender to be the third flagship of Texas and when we get it and start receiving the same caliber of funding that y'all do, it'll be a different story. Already we're acquiring a lot of your schools. In the next ten years you better believe that West Texas A&M will no longer be in your system nor will UTEP and the schools in the same elk. We already aquired Angelo State from the Texas State System and we're in negotations for more schools. Basically, rankings don't say much, especially if you take a closer look at how schools are analyzed. Location, diversity, acceptance rate (which, recently we had a lower acceptance rate than A&M), etc.


Ok...I may think you are an idiot now. Tech will not "acquire" UTEP. Its so sad to hear Aggies and Red Raiders go on and on in these whining matches about their schools and funding and blah blah blah. A&M was originally founded as Texas' Agriculture and Mechanics campus. UTEP was founded as the School of Mines therefore making it part of the Texas system even before the name was changed to reflect that fact. Hence the reason we have the same alma mater. I doubt the students would have adopted the same song if they weren't a part of UT. Granted, as a UT alum, I don't think getting a degree from el paso is the same as austin, but I also don't see Texas giving UTEP up to Tech. It doesn't make sense. Also, in the argument of funding it would make no sense that y'all would acquire WTAMU either since you can't afford to run it with the little amount of funding that you currently get.

This entire argument is retarded. Tech considers A&M to be its biggest rival. A&M considers Texas to be its biggest rival. At Texas, we all consider OU to be our biggest rival and think it would be lovely if A&M would just reciprocate the rivalry feelings with Tech. Its rather amusing actually. Tech, A&M, and UT aren't on the same level, in anything. UT is THE University of Texas, hence the one that gets the most funding and is meant to be the pride of the state. A&M comes in second. After that, its debatable, but I would say a degree from Rice is worth more than one from Tech.

User avatar
riburn3
Posts: 88
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:56 am

Re: Texas Tech Rank, why so low?

Postby riburn3 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:01 am

suidreams wrote:
cqphan89 wrote:4) Tech, UT and A&M are pretty much on par with one another. Some programs are stronger at one school over anotehr but at the end of the day, we're fairly similar. We are the leading contender to be the third flagship of Texas and when we get it and start receiving the same caliber of funding that y'all do, it'll be a different story. Already we're acquiring a lot of your schools. In the next ten years you better believe that West Texas A&M will no longer be in your system nor will UTEP and the schools in the same elk. We already aquired Angelo State from the Texas State System and we're in negotations for more schools. Basically, rankings don't say much, especially if you take a closer look at how schools are analyzed. Location, diversity, acceptance rate (which, recently we had a lower acceptance rate than A&M), etc.



This entire argument is retarded. Tech considers A&M to be its biggest rival. A&M considers Texas to be its biggest rival. At Texas, we all consider OU to be our biggest rival and think it would be lovely if A&M would just reciprocate the rivalry feelings with Tech. Its rather amusing actually. Tech, A&M, and UT aren't on the same level, in anything. UT is THE University of Texas, hence the one that gets the most funding and is meant to be the pride of the state. A&M comes in second. After that, its debatable, but I would say a degree from Rice is worth more than one from Tech.


+1

Although I'm from Texas, I didn't go to school in Texas, and I have a large soft spot for TTU. Regardless of that, I know and everyone else knows that in the State of Texas, UT-Austin (Texas) is king of the state and as our flagship university outside of the state. But like I said before, who cares where you really go whether it be UTEP, SMU, UT, A&MKingsville, or UH for UG as long as you do something worthwhile. BSN's from any school are going to get great jobs anywhere. Engineers from these schools are going to get good jobs in Texas. A family home science major, or modern art major from any of these schools is going to be shit out of luck. In Texas regardless of school, choosing a viable UG degree is going to get you a job.

User avatar
quetzalcoatl
Posts: 156
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:23 am

Re: Texas Tech Rank, why so low?

Postby quetzalcoatl » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:59 pm

Texas A&M bookstore before the hurricane

Image

User avatar
Adrian
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:53 am

Re: Texas Tech Rank, why so low?

Postby Adrian » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:05 pm

riburn3 wrote:
Snooker wrote:Maybe it's because their salary information is totally falsified by simply hand-picking applicants who got really good jobs in their surveys and excluding everyone else. Maybe the top 5% of the class will make biglaw and its six figure salaries. Another lucky thirty or forty percent get $50,000. The bottom half gets a princely $35,000. Can you imagine going 60k in debt to earn 35k? Can you?

Oh and it's in Lubbock, Texas, hick capital of the world. Do you seriously want to spend three years where everyone speaks with that stereotypical drawly heavy Texas accent from movies?

Texas applicants should look to UT and UH, and if you REALLY are driven to be a lawyer with low scores, Baylor or SMU.


I would absolutely love to see where you got your information regarding TTU and their salary reporting. I love people on this site that just spit off whatever numbers they want while citing no true source. I truly hope for your sake this is just a forum habit and not a RL habit. And while I doubt that the salary numbers are truly that high in which they report. TTU is the only law school Between Dallas and Albuquerque which gives it's students an area which includes El Paso, Midland/Odessa, Eastern NM, Abeliene, etc..to practrice law with no school whatsoever providing competition in the area. While it is a regional school, it can claim one of the largest regions in the country as its own.

I would also like to know where you get your Lubbock is "hick capital of the world" impression? Have you spent extensive time in Lubbock? Do realize just about everyone in Texas outside of El Paso speaks with at least some sort of drawl??? What exactly is wrong with the Texas drawl? Are you trying to stereotype it negatively? If you have actually stayed and lived in Lubbock you would know that it is an active college town with a great bar scene, college sports, and restraunts much like any other good college town. You would also know that it's a fairly diverse place compared to the rest of the country with a population that is 25% Hispanic, 9%African American, and 14% contributing from races that are "non-white". (See 2000 US CENSUS)

Sure TTU isn't in a major metro area, but for people that are looking for a nice active college town environment with literally no other local legal competition, TTU is a good option.

--I would like to note that I am not planning on attending TTU, but I have spent a few years of my life in Lubbock after living in a major metro area, and found it to be a fun youthful college town that still maintains a young professional population outside of the school year.


El Paso? I spent a month there one night.... Well El Paso usually gets pretty good students to work in their firms because the undergraduate institution there has a program that is designed to get students into top schools. I know one firm specifically has a Yale and two Berkeley students.

By the way Tech will never get UTEP. UTEP is happy in the UT system and any student who transfers usually tries to transfer to UT... you can take my word about UTEP. Anyways UTEP students don't claim to be from UT they just say you-tep they think it sounds cool.

User avatar
TheReignmaker
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: Texas Tech Rank, why so low?

Postby TheReignmaker » Fri May 07, 2010 3:22 pm

I'll probably go to Tech this fall. While I could've opted for some higher-ranked choices, I'm excited. Their reputation seems solid enough for the region and the atmosphere matches what I'm looking for as a non-traditional student. Plus, I imagine the savings in tuition will make up for any prestige lost from not going to a Tier 2 (lower 50).

As a side note, recently TT led all Texas schools on the bar exam for a second consecutive time.

http://today.ttu.edu/2010/05/law-grads- ... ar-exam-2/

User avatar
TheReignmaker
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: Texas Tech Rank, why so low?

Postby TheReignmaker » Fri May 07, 2010 3:28 pm

To add to this, I realize I'm commenting on an old and rather dead thread. Just wanted to add this for anyone that's searching for info on the university.

atfarmer
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:11 am

Re: Texas Tech Rank, why so low?

Postby atfarmer » Sun May 09, 2010 2:23 am

This thread is so typical of the A&M/tu/tech relationship :mrgreen:

Techies making up statistics like "we do far better research at Tech than at A&M" to validate their ranking (PS - sorry, your wind program is great, but A&M is a land, sea, and space grant college and as such has the biggest research budget of any university in the state by a decent margin). UT students talking about how they're "THE university of texas" based on the highest rankings and a dominant football team, and A&M students defending their traditions and being belligerent toward both. The squeeze pic even made an appearance. All we need are a few Baylor students talking about how much they despise "aggy" and how this is THE YEAR to make a bowl game, and this thread will be perfect



Anyway, to answer the OP for the next generation of TLSers.

Pros: Affordable, decent placement in Dallas and probably Ok City (and texas and Ok have board reciprocity laws so you're good at either), tech women are smoking (this is almost unanimously recognized), they grow a ton of cotton (okay I'm reaching here, but I'm running out of good things to say...)

Cons: Lubbock is just not a good place to live. It stinks, they don't sell booze, there's no vegetation for miles, Lubbock county does have a high STD rate, the whole area is as flat as a board, it snows mud sometimes (yes it's possible when you have a duststorm & snow at the same time). Being so isolated up in the panhandle, its reach is somewhat limited. Also UT, SMU, Baylor, and Houston are all more highly ranked in the state so you'll be playing second fiddle to those guys.

User avatar
Bosque
Posts: 1585
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:14 pm

Re: Texas Tech Rank, why so low?

Postby Bosque » Sun May 09, 2010 11:35 am

atfarmer wrote:Lubbock county does have a high STD rate


As a TTU alum, I am not going to try and convince anyone that Lubbock is a great place to live (I didn't mind it while I was there, but I am not going back). Most of what you said was valid, but I had to clarify about this.

The STD rate is for the COUNTY, not the school. The school's rate is relatively normal. If you feel the need to sleep around, as long as you do not do it with townies (and you shouldn't be, as your options are high schoolers and some rather gross 30/40 somethings) you should be fine.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Aquinas, doyleoil, shineoncrazydiamond and 4 guests