Illinois Law 1L Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
DoctorShawHi

Re: Illinois Law 1L Taking Questions

Postby DoctorShawHi » Wed May 23, 2012 6:28 pm

2.17 hours more than i ever studied while in undergrad

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Wed May 23, 2012 6:36 pm

i feel like many students weren't being honest. How in the hell does a student study an average of 6 hours a day?

tmon

Postby tmon » Wed May 23, 2012 11:17 pm

mattviphky wrote:i feel like many students weren't being honest. How in the hell does a student study an average of 6 hours a day?

When you go to a TTT and only a small number of people get a decent job, you've got all the motivation you need.

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Thu May 24, 2012 10:12 am

tmon wrote:
mattviphky wrote:i feel like many students weren't being honest. How in the hell does a student study an average of 6 hours a day?

When you go to a TTT and only a small number of people get a decent job, you've got all the motivation you need.

I suppose, and even though I've never been to law school, there just seems to be no efficiency in studying 6 hours a day, every day.

JoeFish

Postby JoeFish » Fri May 25, 2012 6:09 am

DoctorShawHi wrote:who are some of the toughest 1l professors?

Lesley Wexler. I absolutely loved her, but be ready to have to know your stuff. 20+ pages of reading every night (I mean, honestly, lawl school reading isn't as bad as people say it is, but in other classes we'd have 10 or 15 pages a week). She will cover, in great detail, every single case she assigns, and will discuss the law, the policy, the economics, and everything else about each case. Her torts class is simply a wall of information. It's tremendously rewarding, especially if you really enjoy torts and negligence and all that stuff, but, man, when you're sitting there and she's asked you 11 hypotheticals in a row, it's easy to be a little overwhelmed.

(Disclaimer: I don't think she grades tough - well, obviously, she can't, what with THE CURVE and all - and she does pretty much tell you exactly what she wants on the exam. It just so happens that what she wants is "everything." Be prepared for 1/3 of the exam to be a policy question.)

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Fri May 25, 2012 8:37 am

Now that grades are out if any of the rising 2ls have questions about anything feel free to post them here or you can PM me or blurbz (other rising 3l who posts here and can help). Anything you PM either of us we will be kept completely confidential. Both blurbz and I did a ton of interviews last summer from mass mailing and OCI and ended up with market paying BigLawl jobs. I'd be happy to answer questions about the process. Questions about firms, transferring (I didn't transfer but got about halfway through the process before deciding to stay. Also I can tell you who in our class transferred, where to and what job they got), OCI, mass mailing, clothes, law review, etc.

I know it's pretty early in the process but now that grades are out you'll at least want to be getting your resume together and maybe starting firm research. TLS helped me a TON last year (thank you based sealocust) so I want to pay it back a little.

DreamsInDigital

Postby DreamsInDigital » Fri May 25, 2012 9:25 am

Ludovico Technique wrote:Now that grades are out if any of the rising 2ls have questions about anything feel free to post them here or you can PM me or blurbz (other rising 3l who posts here and can help). Anything you PM either of us we will be kept completely confidential. Both blurbz and I did a ton of interviews last summer from mass mailing and OCI and ended up with market paying BigLawl jobs. I'd be happy to answer questions about the process. Questions about firms, transferring (I didn't transfer but got about halfway through the process before deciding to stay. Also I can tell you who in our class transferred, where to and what job they got), OCI, mass mailing, clothes, law review, etc.

I know it's pretty early in the process but now that grades are out you'll at least want to be getting your resume together and maybe starting firm research. TLS helped me a TON last year (thank you based sealocust) so I want to pay it back a little.

That's great man. I, and others i'm sure, appreciate it. I am going to be looking at working in California in the long term, so I expect to have to do a ton of mass mailing. Any general tips or suggestions you have for that process? This is a stupid question, but does stuff like nice resume paper really make a huge difference?

Also, do you remember what the cut-off's (10%, top third) were at the end of your 1L year? I'm sure they'll tell us ours in a few days, but it would be nice to have some idea what to expect.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Fri May 25, 2012 9:43 am

Last year the cumulative cutoffs were:

Top 10% 3.66
Top 15% 3.61
Top 20% 3.55
Top 25% 3.5
Top third 3.39

As far as resume paper goes I doubt it made much difference. For mass mailing I think 99% of firms specifically required submissions by email or online form. And the other 1% just strongly encouraged it. Biglaw firms are really into the image of going green. At OCI and in interviews I had resumes on hand and would sometimes be asked for a copy, but I don't think I would be dinged for the wrong paper. I would at least invest in something better than regular white computer paper just in case but I would (and did) just buy the cheapest resume paper available.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Fri May 25, 2012 9:51 am

General tips for California. One absolutely critical one: find a way to be in California before OCI, like early August. In your cover letters let employers know when you will be in CA. Even in 2012 don't think firms will just let you do a phone or skype screener. Many want an in person interview and if you're not there you're screwed. To get to a market on the coasts, even with amazing grades, be prepared to do a lot of work. Find a way to have some money for flights. If dream CA firm calls you and says we can inteview you in our offices next week, you be in their office next week no matter the cost or inconvenience.

Mass mailing is about playing the odds. Email every single firm on nalp in the area you're interested in. If you get a handful of screeners from 100 resumes sent out, you were successful.

E: on phone so please excuse typos or weird autocorrects

DreamsInDigital

Postby DreamsInDigital » Fri May 25, 2012 10:20 am

Thankfully I am going to be working in southern CA this summer, so I will be out there up until the middle of August and if I get any interviews, hopefully they can be done during that time. The whole traveling for interviews is definitely something that I am kind of concerned about. There was at least one job this semester that I know I didn't get because I wasn't able to fly out there for the interview and had to do it over the phone . . . it's just so expensive and takes so much time to make it back to Cali.

Also, the general consensus that I've heard is that I should be aiming to send stuff out around the second week of July? Does this sound right to you?

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Fri May 25, 2012 10:32 am

Yeah midJuly is good. Too early and you run the risk of getting ignored and forgotten. I know the recruiting coordinator at my firm is insanely busy right now doing stuff for the summer program and wouldn't have time to look at a resume. So July is good to send them out but until then you can be researching and building a list of firms to mail

uiucillini23

Postby uiucillini23 » Fri May 25, 2012 6:58 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:Now that grades are out if any of the rising 2ls have questions about anything feel free to post them here or you can PM me or blurbz (other rising 3l who posts here and can help). Anything you PM either of us we will be kept completely confidential. Both blurbz and I did a ton of interviews last summer from mass mailing and OCI and ended up with market paying BigLawl jobs. I'd be happy to answer questions about the process. Questions about firms, transferring (I didn't transfer but got about halfway through the process before deciding to stay. Also I can tell you who in our class transferred, where to and what job they got), OCI, mass mailing, clothes, law review, etc.

are these grades real or "provisionary"?

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Fri May 25, 2012 7:09 pm

What are provisionary grades? As far as I know they're real

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Fri May 25, 2012 8:41 pm

Definitely open to taking questions here!

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Fri May 25, 2012 8:45 pm

blurbz wrote:

Oh yeah I forgot to tell you I volunteered you for duty. :D

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Fri May 25, 2012 8:48 pm

uiucillini23 wrote:

We don't do provisional grades here: The professors had a deadline of the 18th to turn grades in. That means that they had at least a week to grade and spread the curve. After they're turned in, the curve is checked and they're approved by the registrar and released as final grades to us. On the unofficial transcript it says your class standing is uncalculated or provisional--that is referring to your ranking (deans list/harno scholar). They haven't yet released that information so the boilerplate language is still up. The grades themselves, though, are final.

Ludovico Technique wrote:
blurbz wrote:

Haha it's cool :) I know we talked about it last week, so it's all good! TLS wisdom got me my job so I'm happy to share what I can, too.

uiucillini23

Postby uiucillini23 » Fri May 25, 2012 9:02 pm

blurbz wrote:
uiucillini23 wrote:

We don't do provisional grades here: The professors had a deadline of the 18th to turn grades in. That means that they had at least a week to grade and spread the curve. After they're turned in, the curve is checked and they're approved by the registrar and released as final grades to us. On the unofficial transcript it says your class standing is uncalculated or provisional--that is referring to your ranking (deans list/harno scholar). They haven't yet released that information so the boilerplate language is still up. The grades themselves, though, are final.

blurbz wrote:

Haha it's cool :) I know we talked about it last week, so it's all good! TLS wisdom got me my job so I'm happy to share what I can, too.

thank you for the information. i was wondering why they had the "provisionary" text on it. So should I actually purchase a new transcript now or should I hold off until they have the harno stuff done?

JoeFish

Postby JoeFish » Fri May 25, 2012 10:15 pm

uiucillini23 wrote:So should I actually purchase a new transcript now or should I hold off until they have the harno stuff done?

Dean Vermillion told me that she'd recommend one wait until June 1st to get an official transcript, just to be sure that it's got all of the newest stuff on.

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Fri May 25, 2012 11:51 pm

JoeFish wrote:
uiucillini23 wrote:So should I actually purchase a new transcript now or should I hold off until they have the harno stuff done?

Dean Vermillion told me that she'd recommend one wait until June 1st to get an official transcript, just to be sure that it's got all of the newest stuff on.

Why do you need to purchase a transcript at all? Just use the template from simplicity and buy transcripts only when asked for an official one. I didn't need an official transcript until September and even then only one firm asked for one. My current summer firm hasn't asked.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Sat May 26, 2012 12:22 am

blurbz wrote:
JoeFish wrote:

Why do you need to purchase a transcript at all? Just use the template from simplicity and buy transcripts only when asked for an official one. I didn't need an official transcript until September and even then only one firm asked for one. My current summer firm hasn't asked.

For transferring I assume.

By the way, I wouldn't necessarily trust Dean V when it comes to transfer stuff. She pretty actively tried to prevent people from transferring last year. I would request the official transcript as soon as the ranking appears online

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Sat May 26, 2012 1:56 am

blurbz wrote:
JoeFish wrote:

For transferring I assume.

By the way, I wouldn't necessarily trust Dean V when it comes to transfer stuff. She pretty actively tried to prevent people from transferring last year. I would request the official transcript as soon as the ranking appears online

Oops. Yeah, that should have been obvious to me.

uiucillini23

Postby uiucillini23 » Sat May 26, 2012 2:08 am

don't u need transcripts for symplicity....thats what i wanted them for....

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Sat May 26, 2012 2:14 am

uiucillini23 wrote:don't u need transcripts for symplicity....thats what i wanted them for....

Not official ones, no. There's a template you just put your grades into, save it as a .pdf and upload it to symplicity. It's under the resources tab and is called "unofficial transcript template."

uiucillini23

Postby uiucillini23 » Sat May 26, 2012 9:45 am

blurbz wrote:
uiucillini23 wrote:don't u need transcripts for symplicity....thats what i wanted them for....

Not official ones, no. There's a template you just put your grades into, save it as a .pdf and upload it to symplicity. It's under the resources tab and is called "unofficial transcript template."

What are you serious? Thank you so much! Geez I should have been on this site months ago. All this collective wisdom is helping me out so much.

chitown2626

Postby chitown2626 » Sat May 26, 2012 1:16 pm

Again, thanks for the help. Can you provide any insight into a doing secondary journal v. doing moot court? Does one or the other look better on your resume? Is there any prestige difference between the 2 secondary journals (elder v. technology)?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”