Illinois Law 1L Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
blurbz

Re: Illinois Law 1L Taking Questions

Postby blurbz » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:36 am

You are one patronizing dude. You know that, right? There is no presumption of ignorance…There is a presumption that people want to know what others think. You clearly do not want to know what anyone thinks. Indeed, you just want us to tell you how lovely everything is. (Which is interesting because all of us mean old 2Ls seem to uniformly love the rest of the school…)

So let me apologize. I’m so incredibly sorry. I didn’t realize that answering questions with our specific experiences and thoughts was the wrong thing to do. My bad: I really am a disgrace! Turns out that, to avoid scaring 0Ls, we should have spun yarns about unicorns and glitter with jobs just drifting around the law school, there for the taking, if we could only jump high enough!

I feel terrible now that, when someone asked a question about something I have direct experience with, I didn’t realize that they did not want me to tell them about my experience! They wanted me to tell them about what their experience will be, which will obviously be different from all of ours—perfect and worry free. That will sure answer their questions!

So to that end, I emailed a girl in our section who always sounds like she’s talking about precisely the things you want to hear about (rainbows and butterflies). Seriously, she makes anything sound happy. I’ve quoted her response below. I just hope it’s not too little too late…I sure don’t want to continue doing a disservice to my school by telling the truth!

Question: How is OCS at Ilinois?

Email Subject Line: What I think about OCS at Illinois! Hint: I LOVE IT!! wrote:Jeepers, that’s a good question! First, the office is FILLED, just FILLED with cotton candy and soft pillows. This is because it is a naturally stress free environment where all of the cool cats at Illinois go to relax and talk about how much bread they’re going to make!
But if you do need something, they’re always soooooo willing to help! By golly, just the other day I sauntered in there, worried (haha! I know, I’m a square, right? We all get jobs!) about my job search because I’m thinking about targeting a secondary market (But now I know Illinois doesn’t have secondary markets: we place students where ever they want to go. After all, that’s OCS’s motto—“where you want to go is our primary market!”).

So I wondered up to the desk, nibbling on cotton candy, and I asked for some tips on my market. It’s like she knew I was coming! She gave me a big ol’ helpful spreadsheet with every law firm in the Midwest! And sure enough, down in the middle of page three and running until just before the end of page five, was my market! They went above and beyond! Not only did I get a list of places IN my market, I got a list of places in markets I’m not even targeting! See, they try to foresee what people want and help them before they ask. Clearly, they can tell that one day I’ll want to target a number of other cities. So far, I’m not actually interested in those cities, but OCS knows best so I’m just waiting for the day that I wake up and say “You know what? They were right! I DO want to live THERE!” And when that day comes, I know I’ll be prepared thanks to the lovely folks down at career services.

Another success story: I went in looking for a little help with my law firm research. After all, it seems like the firm websites are all so similar! And dag-gum they had just what I was looking for! A book! About all of the law firms! Sure, I wasn’t interested in all of them and sure, that book is available for free online, but it sure was comforting to know that they had copies of it, too! The book was made of nice materials, too—that good, old fashioned paper and ink stuff—so you know it’s good quality! It almost felt mass produced! Could you imagine any other career services writing you a book?!? I couldn’t! It doesn’t seem to contain any Illinois specific information but I assume OCS edited the entries about the firms so that the pertain ONLY to Illinois students. That just seems like something they’d TOTALLY do because they know it would be SOOO helpful to us to have some context!

I could go on forever about how wonderful and amazing career services is, but I suspect you tire of reading my glowing recommendations. I just hope that this post can be a beacon of light in the fog of doom and gloom spreading around here!

Edit: I saw some of the other posters were giving your friend some NASTY advice about SLU! Don’t you DARE listen to them—It’s a wonderful school! I hear that their career services office hands out lollipops and that everyone who goes there makes exactly the amount of money that would make them happy, but not so much that they get the greedy yips. I would TOTALLY go there (I LOVE lollipops) if the following conditions were satisfied: 1. I got in.

Hope that helps your friend!!!!

oldtimer

Postby oldtimer » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:00 am

blurbz wrote:You are one patronizing dude. You know that, right? There is no presumption of ignorance…There is a presumption that people want to know what others think. You clearly do not want to know what anyone thinks. Indeed, you just want us to tell you how lovely everything is. (Which is interesting because all of us mean old 2Ls seem to uniformly love the rest of the school…)

So let me apologize. I’m so incredibly sorry. I didn’t realize that answering questions with our specific experiences and thoughts was the wrong thing to do. My bad: I really am a disgrace! Turns out that, to avoid scaring 0Ls, we should have spun yarns about unicorns and glitter with jobs just drifting around the law school, there for the taking, if we could only jump high enough!

I feel terrible now that, when someone asked a question about something I have direct experience with, I didn’t realize that they did not want me to tell them about my experience! They wanted me to tell them about what their experience will be, which will obviously be different from all of ours—perfect and worry free. That will sure answer their questions!

So to that end, I emailed a girl in our section who always sounds like she’s talking about precisely the things you want to hear about (rainbows and butterflies). Seriously, she makes anything sound happy. I’ve quoted her response below. I just hope it’s not too little too late…I sure don’t want to continue doing a disservice to my school by telling the truth!

Question: How is OCS at Ilinois?

Email Subject Line: What I think about OCS at Illinois! Hint: I LOVE IT!! wrote:Jeepers, that’s a good question! First, the office is FILLED, just FILLED with cotton candy and soft pillows. This is because it is a naturally stress free environment where all of the cool cats at Illinois go to relax and talk about how much bread they’re going to make!
But if you do need something, they’re always soooooo willing to help! By golly, just the other day I sauntered in there, worried (haha! I know, I’m a square, right? We all get jobs!) about my job search because I’m thinking about targeting a secondary market (But now I know Illinois doesn’t have secondary markets: we place students where ever they want to go. After all, that’s OCS’s motto—“where you want to go is our primary market!”).

So I wondered up to the desk, nibbling on cotton candy, and I asked for some tips on my market. It’s like she knew I was coming! She gave me a big ol’ helpful spreadsheet with every law firm in the Midwest! And sure enough, down in the middle of page three and running until just before the end of page five, was my market! They went above and beyond! Not only did I get a list of places IN my market, I got a list of places in markets I’m not even targeting! See, they try to foresee what people want and help them before they ask. Clearly, they can tell that one day I’ll want to target a number of other cities. So far, I’m not actually interested in those cities, but OCS knows best so I’m just waiting for the day that I wake up and say “You know what? They were right! I DO want to live THERE!” And when that day comes, I know I’ll be prepared thanks to the lovely folks down at career services.

Another success story: I went in looking for a little help with my law firm research. After all, it seems like the firm websites are all so similar! And dag-gum they had just what I was looking for! A book! About all of the law firms! Sure, I wasn’t interested in all of them and sure, that book is available for free online, but it sure was comforting to know that they had copies of it, too! The book was made of nice materials, too—that good, old fashioned paper and ink stuff—so you know it’s good quality! It almost felt mass produced! Could you imagine any other career services writing you a book?!? I couldn’t! It doesn’t seem to contain any Illinois specific information but I assume OCS edited the entries about the firms so that the pertain ONLY to Illinois students. That just seems like something they’d TOTALLY do because they know it would be SOOO helpful to us to have some context!

I could go on forever about how wonderful and amazing career services is, but I suspect you tire of reading my glowing recommendations. I just hope that this post can be a beacon of light in the fog of doom and gloom spreading around here!

Edit: I saw some of the other posters were giving your friend some NASTY advice about SLU! Don’t you DARE listen to them—It’s a wonderful school! I hear that their career services office hands out lollipops and that everyone who goes there makes exactly the amount of money that would make them happy, but not so much that they get the greedy yips. I would TOTALLY go there (I LOVE lollipops) if the following conditions were satisfied: 1. I got in.

Hope that helps your friend!!!!

Yeah, nice... and I'M "patronizing."

Chupavida

Postby Chupavida » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:04 am

Last edited by Chupavida on Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

adammac17

Postby adammac17 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:12 pm

please tell me blurbz is not going to uiuc in the fall.....

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:20 pm

Hahaha as far as I know he/she will be there :lol: You won't have any classes with them though, don't worry

adammac17

Postby adammac17 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:25 pm

Kilpatrick wrote:Hahaha as far as I know he/she will be there :lol: You won't have any classes with them though, don't worry

Why not? ill be a 1L in a few weeks, has he/she set up private one-on-one classes with all the instructors? i mean, its the least uofi can do with the sorry state of OCS.......

edit: saw that blurbz was a 2L....but i still think they should let you take private classes blurbz :P

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:32 pm

Welcome to Illinois, adammac17.

Honestly, if you read through the thread/my posts in this and other threads you'll see that I generally give pretty good advice and that I love Illinois. This guy just got under my skin and I sunk to his level--I apologize to anyone caught in the crossfire here. There was a question asked about OCS and a number of us answered it but oldtimer decided that our answers were not accurate (even though they were firsthand accounts)...and it kind of went from there.

For what it's worth, I'd be happy to help you out/give you advice/buy you a beer.

Private classes would be cool though--but I suspect the socratic would be just brutal....

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:34 pm

Haha. Don't judge blurbz too harshly because of the lashing out at one annoying poster. blurbz is cool. He/she is actually a lot nicer in real life than I am.

Chupavida

Postby Chupavida » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:37 pm

Last edited by Chupavida on Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

NancyBotwin

Postby NancyBotwin » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:15 pm

Kilpatrick wrote:Haha. Don't judge blurbz too harshly because of the lashing out at one annoying poster. blurbz is cool. He/she is actually a lot nicer in real life than I am.

Yeah, blurbz is a lot nicer than Kilpatrick....

:mrgreen: <3

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:22 pm

NancyBotwin wrote:
Kilpatrick wrote:Haha. Don't judge blurbz too harshly because of the lashing out at one annoying poster. blurbz is cool. He/she is actually a lot nicer in real life than I am.

haha you guys are too nice. Maybe you can join me in my private classes? :-)

NancyBotwin

Postby NancyBotwin » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:25 pm

blurbz wrote:
NancyBotwin wrote:

Love to!

Corwin

Postby Corwin » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:20 pm

For all incoming L1s, go to the Black Dog to celebrate starting law school. :D Order a Founders Breakfast stout and whatever off the menue (it's all good). Best BBQ in town. Get there at 11AM or 5PM, otherwise be willing to wait a while for a table.

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:27 pm

Corwin wrote:For all incoming L1s, go to the Black Dog to celebrate starting law school. :D Order a Founders Breakfast stout and whatever off the menue (it's all good). Best BBQ in town. Get there at 11AM or 5PM, otherwise be willing to wait a while for a table.

No no don't listen to him! Stay away from Black Dog!

Because it's delicious and already too crowded :D

Corwin

Postby Corwin » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:30 pm

Kilpatrick wrote:
Corwin wrote:For all incoming L1s, go to the Black Dog to celebrate starting law school. :D Order a Founders Breakfast stout and whatever off the menue (it's all good). Best BBQ in town. Get there at 11AM or 5PM, otherwise be willing to wait a while for a table.

No no don't listen to him! Stay away from Black Dog!

Because it's delicious and already too crowded :D

I think I ate there three times a week for my entire last month of undergrad. Felt like a blob, but it was so worth it. :P

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:31 pm

Black dog is probably the most credited piece of advice on this thread. Go there but not when I'm there. If you show up and I'm there, pay for my lunch.

Also, Siam Terrace if you like Thai food. It's the best in CU.

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:04 pm

I like where this thread is going now :D

Here's my picks for the best in C-U (no need to include Savoy since there's no good food there)

BBQ - Black Dog

Thai - Siam Terrace

Chinese - Rainbow Garden (a lot of people say Golden Harbor is better and they might be right. I've never been there)

Tapas - Luna (just slightly better than Radio Maria which is also good)

Sushi - none. If I have to I like Sushi Kame. Or Oishi is OK but kind of ridiculous.

Mexican - the only time I have had good Mexican is when my girlfriend has made it for me with stuff bought from the carniceria El Progreso. OR from the one taco truck in town that is actually delicious.

Pizza - Papa del's. Not as good as real Chicago pizza but good enough for me

Vietnamese - none. Be warned, if you are from Southern California where pho is everywhere you will be disappointed here

Steak - Alexander's. Definitely the best cuts of meat you can get in Champaign, and you get to grill it yourself.

Special occasion place - Bacaro. Only been there once but it was by far the best place I've been to in Champaign.

The food options in Champaign are pretty spectacular for a small town. I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting, and there are places I've heard are good that I haven't even been to yet. Other people feel free to add more.

yhezel

Postby yhezel » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:13 pm

NancyBotwin wrote:
blurbz wrote:
NancyBotwin wrote:

Love to!

Damn it! Who are you people?

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:16 pm

yhezel wrote:Damn it! Who are you people?

Wellllllllll I'm definitely facebook friends with you!

Chupavida

Postby Chupavida » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:27 pm

Last edited by Chupavida on Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chupavida

Postby Chupavida » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:34 pm

Last edited by Chupavida on Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

NancyBotwin

Postby NancyBotwin » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:55 pm

Chupavida wrote:Nancy is pretty easy to figure out. I could see the WoW in her eyes when she visited the federal courthouse today. I have no idea who everybody else is.

/creep

WHOA. WHO ARE YOU?????

NancyBotwin

Postby NancyBotwin » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:56 pm

blurbz wrote:
yhezel wrote:Damn it! Who are you people?

Wellllllllll I'm definitely facebook friends with you!

I'm pretty sure I am too, lol.

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:58 pm

NancyBotwin wrote:
Chupavida wrote:Nancy is pretty easy to figure out. I could see the WoW in her eyes when she visited the federal courthouse today. I have no idea who everybody else is.

/creep

WHOA. WHO ARE YOU?????

Hahahahaha this is awesome.

I feel like I know everyone on here...

oldtimer

Postby oldtimer » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:59 pm

blurbz wrote:Welcome to Illinois, adammac17.

Honestly, if you read through the thread/my posts in this and other threads you'll see that I generally give pretty good advice and that I love Illinois. This guy just got under my skin and I sunk to his level--I apologize to anyone caught in the crossfire here. There was a question asked about OCS and a number of us answered it but oldtimer decided that our answers were not accurate (even though they were firsthand accounts)...and it kind of went from there.

For what it's worth, I'd be happy to help you out/give you advice/buy you a beer.

Private classes would be cool though--but I suspect the socratic would be just brutal....

FWIW, you'll probably be happy to help me out/buy me a beer/give me advice too when you meet me in real life because 1) You'll never know who my "internet persona" is and 2) Even if you did, we'd find that we're BOTH probably musch less "offensive" in real life than our internet personas allow us to be... Most people generally are.

It's all good.

If "annoying poster" is the worst slur that can be slung at me... I'm fine with that. At this point, that's really all you have anyway because this singular thread is the extent of your knowledge of me... and likewise.

Again, in a few weeks/months, if/when we do meet, I have a feeling the last thing you'll concern yourself with is "oldtimer" on TLS. (and likewise the last thing I'll be concerned with is Blurbz). This law school thing is probably best done as a collaborative effort, so I would hope that this thread wouldn't burn that bridge for any of us on that front.. It surely wouldn't for me. I can't imagine any of us are thin skinned enough for that to be the case. But of course, I could be wrong, since apparently that's all I do well at this point... (be wrong, that is).

Some day, we'll all have a beer and a laugh about something else completely and probably never realize our "connection."

OR not, I guess... there are 600 or so students at the law school, right?... we may never have any contact whatsoever... I suppose that is possible.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”