Illinois Law 1L Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Luis Gomez

Re: Illinois Law 1L Taking Questions

Postby Luis Gomez » Thu May 20, 2010 1:12 am

ChattelCat wrote:
webbylu87 wrote:Is the journal process at UIUC write-on or grade-on or a hybrid? Also, do you know of anyone doing a research assistant position? Are they common?

Law Review is hybrid - for the rising 2L's it will be the top four in each section and the rest are write-on. The bylaws are here: --LinkRemoved--. This past year I think there were around 35 people who graded/wrote on, the # of people is determined by the amount of work that needs to be done so it can vary. The writing competition is for all three journals though, not just Law Review.

Yup, I know of several people who have worked as RA's - don't really know personally about the process of getting one though. From what I've seen sometimes emails go out asking if there is interest, sometimes it's an announcement in class, and sometimes it's just someone who has gotten to know the prof and/or done well in their class.

OMG, getting into law review seems almost impossible. :(

TCScrutinizer

Postby TCScrutinizer » Thu May 20, 2010 6:11 am

Luis Gomez wrote:
ChattelCat wrote:
webbylu87 wrote:Is the journal process at UIUC write-on or grade-on or a hybrid? Also, do you know of anyone doing a research assistant position? Are they common?

Law Review is hybrid - for the rising 2L's it will be the top four in each section and the rest are write-on. The bylaws are here: --LinkRemoved--. This past year I think there were around 35 people who graded/wrote on, the # of people is determined by the amount of work that needs to be done so it can vary. The writing competition is for all three journals though, not just Law Review.

Yup, I know of several people who have worked as RA's - don't really know personally about the process of getting one though. From what I've seen sometimes emails go out asking if there is interest, sometimes it's an announcement in class, and sometimes it's just someone who has gotten to know the prof and/or done well in their class.

OMG, getting into law review seems almost impossible. :(

35 out of 232 is about 15% of the class. That's hardly impossible. Why, I thought everyone on TLS was going to be in the top 5% of their classes.

Luis Gomez

Postby Luis Gomez » Thu May 20, 2010 11:10 pm

[/quote]

35 out of 232 is about 15% of the class. That's hardly impossible. Why, I thought everyone on TLS was going to be in the top 5% of their classes.[/quote]

Oh yhea, and then I was going to transfer to HYS. However, I am now aware that my fellow classmates might be secretley planning to do the same. This might seriouslyupset my plan.
Last edited by Luis Gomez on Fri May 21, 2010 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sixburgher

Postby sixburgher » Fri May 21, 2010 9:46 am

HYL?

Luis Gomez

Postby Luis Gomez » Fri May 21, 2010 5:35 pm

sixburgher wrote:HYL?

HARVARD, YALE, LIBERTY UNIVERSITY OF COURSE.

cr073137

Postby cr073137 » Fri May 21, 2010 5:53 pm

Luis Gomez wrote:

I think the fact that most of us graduated top 10% of our class UG makes us believe firmly that we will also be top 10% of our class in law school. Well, only 10% will be able to really accomplish this... HOWEVER, knowing this is surely not going to stop us from trying!!!

Also, when it comes to transferring, I think most people that say now that if they make it to the top 10% will transfer actually end up staying. You make connections, friends, and usually get some $$ for staying, and its hard to give that up from a school like Illinois for a "better" school.

If for some reason I'm enlighten by the Law school gods and I make it to the top 10%, I honestly would only consider transferring to HY. To Yale, because, well, its Yale, and their LRAP kicks ass. And to Harvard because, well, the H-bomb carries internationally and my best friend goes there. Well, I will probably consider S because of the weather... lol

sixburgher

Postby sixburgher » Fri May 21, 2010 6:30 pm

Luis Gomez wrote:

Maybe HY, but I don't think you're 'Flames' material:

SaintClarence27

Postby SaintClarence27 » Fri May 21, 2010 6:33 pm

cr073137 wrote:
Luis Gomez wrote:

I think the fact that most of us graduated top 10% of our class UG makes us believe firmly that we will also be top 10% of our class in law school. Well, only 10% will be able to really accomplish this... HOWEVER, knowing this is surely not going to stop us from trying!!!

Also, when it comes to transferring, I think most people that say now that if they make it to the top 10% will transfer actually end up staying. You make connections, friends, and usually get some $$ for staying, and its hard to give that up from a school like Illinois for a "better" school.

If for some reason I'm enlighten by the Law school gods and I make it to the top 10%, I honestly would only consider transferring to HY. To Yale, because, well, its Yale, and their LRAP kicks ass. And to Harvard because, well, the H-bomb carries internationally and my best friend goes there. Well, I will probably consider S because of the weather... lol

DO you actually get $$ for staying?

sixburgher

Postby sixburgher » Fri May 21, 2010 6:37 pm

Usually get $$$ for staying? TINTCR

My understanding is this is extremely rare at a T1 school

Luis Gomez

Postby Luis Gomez » Fri May 21, 2010 8:35 pm

cr073137 wrote:
Luis Gomez wrote:

If for some reason I'm enlighten by the Law school gods and I make it to the top 10%, I honestly would only consider transferring to HY. To Yale, because, well, its Yale, and their LRAP kicks ass. And to Harvard because, well, the H-bomb carries internationally and my best friend goes there. Well, I will probably consider S because of the weather... lol[/quote

I was being sarcastic about transferring; I am happy with my decision. Plus I can´t afford any school at sticker.
I would, however, love to be on the law review. I believe I would actually like doing the work,independently of the carrer advancing benefits.

Chupavida

Postby Chupavida » Sun May 23, 2010 9:36 pm

Last edited by Chupavida on Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thirteen

Postby Thirteen » Sun May 23, 2010 9:45 pm

Chupavida wrote:How do first-year books work? Books budget is $1800, should I expect to use all of it? Can I be cheap on Amazon? I took a tour last summer and I seem to remember a blue bag that the woman at the bookstore said all first-years got, but I don't remember details, or if that was all the books I would need.

You can buy all of the books at once at orientation. The bookstore sells them in bundles for each section.

webbylu87

Postby webbylu87 » Sun May 23, 2010 9:50 pm

Thirteen wrote:
Chupavida wrote:How do first-year books work? Books budget is $1800, should I expect to use all of it? Can I be cheap on Amazon? I took a tour last summer and I seem to remember a blue bag that the woman at the bookstore said all first-years got, but I don't remember details, or if that was all the books I would need.

You can buy all of the books at once at orientation. The bookstore sells them in bundles for each section.

Do you really spend $1800 on them?

ChattelCat

Postby ChattelCat » Sun May 23, 2010 10:45 pm

webbylu87 wrote:
Thirteen wrote:

Do you really spend $1800 on them?

It was more like $600- $800 depending on your section (just for first semester). It may be easier just to buy the "bag o' books" for your section first semester because you likely won't know your section until a week before classes so not enough time really to have used books shipped in time to do reading for your first classes. After that though I highly recommend buying on either Amazon or Half.com - much cheaper and you can find books with no highlighting for a good $25-$50 less than new, and if you don't mind a little highlighting you can get them for much less than that.

sixburgher

Postby sixburgher » Fri May 28, 2010 11:08 am

How do you get access to past exams? Do professors post them online?

ChattelCat

Postby ChattelCat » Fri May 28, 2010 3:50 pm

sixburgher wrote:How do you get access to past exams? Do professors post them online?

There is a large collection of old exams on the Intranet that everyone has access to. In my experience, sometimes professors will also give the class an old exam to look or a sample exam question if they don't have any posted online.

sydney

Postby sydney » Sat May 29, 2010 9:33 am

Another Illinois "rising 2L" here and I only have 1 piece of advice (to echo others on here)--don't buy books from the bookstore unless you absolutely have to (like you can't find the book you need used anywhere else). You can find great books on Amazon for half the money, and all of us 2Ls will be more than happy to sell our books from last year. The law school forum will be jammed with people buying and selling books in August. And don't worry about the highlighting, underlining or writing that the previous owner has done...it will actually help you, especially in the beginning of the year when you have no idea what you're reading. The notes in the margin from a previous owner actually saved my ass when I got called on in Crim Law one time. Any other questions just ask.

Oh yeah one more thing I guess...go to football tailgates and get plastered. Just don't go to the games, the Illini suck (and so does the student section).

Luis Gomez

Postby Luis Gomez » Sat May 29, 2010 2:26 pm

sydney wrote:Another Illinois "rising 2L" here and I only have 1 piece of advice (to echo others on here)--don't buy books from the bookstore unless you absolutely have to (like you can't find the book you need used anywhere else). You can find great books on Amazon for half the money, and all of us 2Ls will be more than happy to sell our books from last year. The law school forum will be jammed with people buying and selling books in August. And don't worry about the highlighting, underlining or writing that the previous owner has done...it will actually help you, especially in the beginning of the year when you have no idea what you're reading. The notes in the margin from a previous owner actually saved my ass when I got called on in Crim Law one time. Any other questions just ask.

Oh yeah one more thing I guess...go to football tailgates and get plastered. Just don't go to the games, the Illini suck (and so does the student section).

Thanks for the advice, but do 1L have enough time to order their books on Amazon for the first semester? Is there a list of book we will absolutely need independently of sections?
Thanks.

ChattelCat

Postby ChattelCat » Sat May 29, 2010 2:44 pm

Luis Gomez wrote:
sydney wrote:Another Illinois "rising 2L" here and I only have 1 piece of advice (to echo others on here)--don't buy books from the bookstore unless you absolutely have to (like you can't find the book you need used anywhere else). You can find great books on Amazon for half the money, and all of us 2Ls will be more than happy to sell our books from last year. The law school forum will be jammed with people buying and selling books in August. And don't worry about the highlighting, underlining or writing that the previous owner has done...it will actually help you, especially in the beginning of the year when you have no idea what you're reading. The notes in the margin from a previous owner actually saved my ass when I got called on in Crim Law one time. Any other questions just ask.

Thanks for the advice, but do 1L have enough time to order their books on Amazon for the first semester? Is there a list of book we will absolutely need independently of sections?
Thanks.

No, your book list will depend on your section so you probably won't have time first semester but Sydney's right, if you keep any eye on the forums (the law school message boards) there will definitely be 2L's and 3L's selling 1L casebooks in August

sixburgher

Postby sixburgher » Sat May 29, 2010 3:38 pm

How about basketball games? What's the fan situation there?

sydney

Postby sydney » Mon May 31, 2010 3:49 pm

I had plenty of time to buy my 1st semester books online. Even if they are a few days late you can just buy the book from the bookstore and return it a few days later. The bookstore employees all know that textbooks are expensive (and overpriced), and they will allow you to return a book if you find a better deal elsewhere.

As for basketball, I have heard that the games are a blast, although I have never been to one myself. The games are usually on weekdays so it makes it a little more difficult to find the time to go. I would usually put the game on in the background while studying to sneak a peek here and there. Who am I kidding...I would watch almost the whole game and stare at my textbook during commercials. Anyways, they should be pretty good next year...the 2010 recruiting class is topnotch.

Speedzie

Postby Speedzie » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:41 am

sixburgher wrote:Usually get $$$ for staying? TINTCR

My understanding is this is extremely rare at a T1 school

I know folks who got extra money. The people at the very top of the class got meetings with dean smith, where he convinced them to stay. They really don't want the best and brightest transferring out.

As for books, I would just buy the big bag from the bookstore first semester. You're going to be stressed out enough, you probably don't want to add anything else to worry about.

zILch

Postby zILch » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:07 pm

Tell me about Peers Pub...

and other social things...Is there enough to do in town? Culture?

webbylu87

Postby webbylu87 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:42 pm

Just to revive this book discussion idea. I'm deciding on my final loan amounts and am debating whether or not I will be using all of the allotted $1800 for my books. Do people actually spend that much or is it a liberal estimation? FWIW, I plan on buying my books on Amazon whenever possible. (Side question: is it possible to get the book list by mid-July so I can order them in time? Or is that unlikely?)

Warhawk

Postby Warhawk » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:26 pm

Yet ANOTHER rising 2L here... I just checked, and buying my books in the "book bags" at the bookstore, I spend $735 the first semester, and $540 the second. So that's $1,275 total. I think the $1800 is a liberally (conservatively? probably makes more sense since higher=safer) high estimate, since there is going to be some variation from section to section.

As for the question about Peer's Pub... it was better when there was actually beer. :roll:

I'm not really the person to ask anyway, but it's difficult to really give an answer to the question about the cultural/social aspects of the town... different areas have different feels to them, and different crowds.

Oh, and for the people discussing the journal competition and law review... there's nothing wrong with the other two journals. They're very well regarded. (someone wish me luck on that front :P )

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”