Illinois Law 1L Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
hkm6315
Posts: 126
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:31 pm

Re: Illinois Law 1L Taking Questions

Postby hkm6315 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:27 am

Everyone will tell you not to read anything as a 0L, and they are right. If you start buying supplements on subjects and reading them before your classes even start, there is a good chance that you will be reading different material on that subject that will only confuse you more (or just be a flat out waste of time) once you get to law school. You could be reading a property supplement as a 0L, and then get to law school and find out that your property book is written by a completely different author and covers completely different cases. I guess the more amorphous books like E&Es or Q&As won't have that problem as much, but even there you may be teaching yourself information you don't cover in class (or cover differently). SO, reading as a 0L could potentially do more harm than good by shoving unnecessary info into your brain and muddying the waters for the info you are supposed to learn.

Seriously though, reading in advance is just UNNECESSARY. I realize that even though we have all said this, some of you will find another thread talking about recommended supplements and run out and buy those and start reading them (I did too). Yet, the books will be useless to read before school starts and will sit on your shelf collecting dust (like mine did).

Just wait till you get in class, and if you want to buy a supplement to help you through the semester, first ask a professor to recommend one. A lot of the time they will recommend supplements that have the same author as your casebook and will correspond to the way your professor teaches. Some profs have supplements listed on their syllabus. If that doesn't work, you can always go to the bookstore and flip through supplements to find one that would be helpful with your book. Usually that is the supplement which is keyed to your casebook or written by your book's author. So seriously, just wait to read anything. I asked Pless what he thought I should read before entering law school, and he told me not to read law school stuff and to just have fun and enjoy my summer before law school starts!

User avatar
mako_shark
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:58 am

Re: Illinois Law 1L Taking Questions

Postby mako_shark » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:33 pm

Hey to any of you coming for the ASW tomorrow, whille i'm not one of the people giving tours, i'll stop by breakfast to answer questions and see how people are doing.

cheers & hope to see some of you tomorrow!
-Sean (figure its more practical to know my name so people don't ask if i'm mako_shark :) )

User avatar
TCScrutinizer
Posts: 497
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:01 pm

Re: Illinois Law 1L Taking Questions

Postby TCScrutinizer » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:09 pm

To those of you at the AS open house, I'm with you in spirits.

Let me know what you thought. This "sight unseen" thing that I'm doing with UIUC is nerve-wracking sometimes.

User avatar
crombot
Posts: 173
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:41 pm

Re: Illinois Law 1L Taking Questions

Postby crombot » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:03 pm

TCS wrote:To those of you at the AS open house, I'm with you in spirits.

Let me know what you thought. This "sight unseen" thing that I'm doing with UIUC is nerve-wracking sometimes.


I'm sitting in my hotel in Champaign right now after a yummy meal at Thara Thai!! The ASD made me feel a LOT more comfortable about the prospect of being here for 3 years. Also, I got the chance to meet OP too--it's nice to see that there are normal, seemingly-happy students at UIUC!!

User avatar
Thirteen
Posts: 23929
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:53 pm

Re: Illinois Law 1L Taking Questions

Postby Thirteen » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:20 am

Champaign is a great place, and everyone considering Illinois should try to visit. It would be a great place to live for 3 years, and most of the students are pretty chill. That being said, it's no SMU :P .

User avatar
hkm6315
Posts: 126
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:31 pm

Re: Illinois Law 1L Taking Questions

Postby hkm6315 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:05 am

Rankings leak: Illinois is 21 for those of you who haven't already heard. : )

User avatar
Speedzie
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:26 pm

Re: Illinois Law 1L Taking Questions

Postby Speedzie » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:45 pm

Thirteen wrote:Champaign is a great place, and everyone considering Illinois should try to visit. It would be a great place to live for 3 years, and most of the students are pretty chill. That being said, it's no SMU :P .


Man, no one's identity is secret on here. We miss ya buddy...

LoveJones
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:35 am

Re: Illinois Law 1L Taking Questions

Postby LoveJones » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:00 am

I have enjoyed reading all of your posts! UIUC class of 2012 seems like a very diverse group!

My question is...I am a 1L at another school who is considering transferring to UIUC. I know most of you are 1L's but have any of you spoken to 2L or 3L that transferred from another school? I know UIUC takes several transfers and I am trying to get an idea of how well they assimilate.

Thanks!!

User avatar
ChattelCat
Posts: 128
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:59 pm

Re: Illinois Law 1L Taking Questions

Postby ChattelCat » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:02 pm

LoveJones wrote:I have enjoyed reading all of your posts! UIUC class of 2012 seems like a very diverse group!

My question is...I am a 1L at another school who is considering transferring to UIUC. I know most of you are 1L's but have any of you spoken to 2L or 3L that transferred from another school? I know UIUC takes several transfers and I am trying to get an idea of how well they assimilate.

Thanks!!


Actually this thread is a few years old so half of us are actually 2L's (3L's in less than a month - yikes!). I have a few good friends who transferred into our class this past year and by the end of first semester I think people could hardly remember that the people who transferred hadn't been there all along. Since the 1L sections are so isolated you end up 2L in classes with a lot of people that you barely know from 1L (or literally have never seen), so I think it's pretty difficult to even know who is a transfer (in other words, I wouldn't worry about sticking out because you won't). Also, we're a pretty nice bunch - obviously it's hard at first because you're with hundreds of people you don't know, but I've never, ever gotten the sense that anyone here attaches any stigma to whether someone is a transfer or not.

User avatar
Thirteen
Posts: 23929
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:53 pm

Re: Illinois Law 1L Taking Questions

Postby Thirteen » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:28 pm

Speedzie wrote:
Thirteen wrote:Champaign is a great place, and everyone considering Illinois should try to visit. It would be a great place to live for 3 years, and most of the students are pretty chill. That being said, it's no SMU :P .


Man, no one's identity is secret on here. We miss ya buddy...


Thanks, buddy. I'll see y'all out there in a week or so.

LoveJones
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:35 am

Re: Illinois Law 1L Taking Questions

Postby LoveJones » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:53 am

ChattelCat wrote:
LoveJones wrote:I have enjoyed reading all of your posts! UIUC class of 2012 seems like a very diverse group!

My question is...I am a 1L at another school who is considering transferring to UIUC. I know most of you are 1L's but have any of you spoken to 2L or 3L that transferred from another school? I know UIUC takes several transfers and I am trying to get an idea of how well they assimilate.

Thanks!!


Actually this thread is a few years old so half of us are actually 2L's (3L's in less than a month - yikes!). I have a few good friends who transferred into our class this past year and by the end of first semester I think people could hardly remember that the people who transferred hadn't been there all along. Since the 1L sections are so isolated you end up 2L in classes with a lot of people that you barely know from 1L (or literally have never seen), so I think it's pretty difficult to even know who is a transfer (in other words, I wouldn't worry about sticking out because you won't). Also, we're a pretty nice bunch - obviously it's hard at first because you're with hundreds of people you don't know, but I've never, ever gotten the sense that anyone here attaches any stigma to whether someone is a transfer or not.


Thanks ChattelCat!
I'm really glad to hear that transfers don't stick out too much at UIUC (not the case everywhere). And I agree that the students are super friendly, I sat in on a class when I came for a visit and several students started talking to those of us visiting.

More generally, has anyone participated in the litigation clinic at UIUC? It seems like such a great opportunity. I am wondering if it is competitive to get into? Anyone have any thoughts on the Business and Policy course stream... or the teaching abilities of the faculty? (especially Hurt and Ribstein)

normn3116
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:02 pm

Re: Illinois Law 1L Taking Questions

Postby normn3116 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:24 pm

or the teaching abilities of the faculty? (especially Hurt and Ribstein)[/quote]

I am a 1L (c/o 2012) at UIUC, and by doing this guess I've signed up to answer any questions anybody might have too. I'm responding now because I have Professor Hurt this semester for Torts, and she is absolutely awesome. She has this innate ability to take legal doctrines that are fairly difficult to parse through, and state them in a way that most people can understand them. She has been my favorite professor this semester, easily. She's also very accessible. I've visited her office on numerous occasions to have her clarify something in class that I didn't quite get, and if she's there, all I have to do is knock.

To anyone who got into UIUC c/o 2013 congrats, and look forward to seeing some of you in the fall!

User avatar
webbylu87
Posts: 659
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:07 pm

Re: Illinois Law 1L Taking Questions

Postby webbylu87 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:29 pm

I'm a potential incoming 1L with a couple questions.

I've currently not decided where I'm going and am deciding between Illinois and another similarly ranked Midwest school. Illinois would be slightly more expensive and I am concerned about the debt level. I'm staring down $150k in debt and it's very worrying. I guess I'm wondering if anyone else has selected Illinois despite it being the more expensive option and if they can reflect on what they anticipate the debt burden being like given the current job market. Also, as someone who wouldn't mind Chicago but is currently looking at a move to St. Louis in the future, do you know of any Illinois grads in the St. Louis area? Is there variety in where firms at OCI are recruiting from or is it mainly a Chicago crowd?

Thanks in advance.

normn3116
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:02 pm

Re: Illinois Law 1L Taking Questions

Postby normn3116 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:37 pm

webbylu87 wrote:I'm a potential incoming 1L with a couple questions.

I've currently not decided where I'm going and am deciding between Illinois and another similarly ranked Midwest school. Illinois would be slightly more expensive and I am concerned about the debt level. I'm staring down $150k in debt and it's very worrying. I guess I'm wondering if anyone else has selected Illinois despite it being the more expensive option and if they can reflect on what they anticipate the debt burden being like given the current job market. Also, as someone who wouldn't mind Chicago but is currently looking at a move to St. Louis in the future, do you know of any Illinois grads in the St. Louis area? Is there variety in where firms at OCI are recruiting from or is it mainly a Chicago crowd?

Thanks in advance.


I'll try and do this the best as I can, as we actually just had a presentation of sorts about OCI and whatnot about 2 hours ago. The gist of that presentation is that the vast majority of firms that conduct interviews here are from Chicago. There will be some from Indianapolis, and the COL is also going to be hosting a UIUC-specific job fair for Indianapolis and the surrounding cities. With that said, I see you seem to be concerned about St. Louis. That, I have no personal experience with. The general consensus (by means of talk around the school) seems to be that with a UIUC law degree, St. Louis is not at all out of the question, since WUSTL is the only direct competitor in that market. Chicago is definitely the primary market here, however.

To try and answer your school question, I would need to know more information.
1, where are you looking at working?
2, what is that other school, and does it have that city as your primary market?

My decision came between UIUC and IU-Bloomington. I ultimately chose UIUC because I plan on working in the Chicago area, and I had ties to Indianapolis that I could otherwise utilize if I decide to go there.

Hope this helps.

User avatar
ChattelCat
Posts: 128
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:59 pm

Re: Illinois Law 1L Taking Questions

Postby ChattelCat » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:44 pm

LoveJones wrote:
ChattelCat wrote:
LoveJones wrote:I have enjoyed reading all of your posts! UIUC class of 2012 seems like a very diverse group!

My question is...I am a 1L at another school who is considering transferring to UIUC. I know most of you are 1L's but have any of you spoken to 2L or 3L that transferred from another school? I know UIUC takes several transfers and I am trying to get an idea of how well they assimilate.

Thanks!!


Actually this thread is a few years old so half of us are actually 2L's (3L's in less than a month - yikes!). I have a few good friends who transferred into our class this past year and by the end of first semester I think people could hardly remember that the people who transferred hadn't been there all along. Since the 1L sections are so isolated you end up 2L in classes with a lot of people that you barely know from 1L (or literally have never seen), so I think it's pretty difficult to even know who is a transfer (in other words, I wouldn't worry about sticking out because you won't). Also, we're a pretty nice bunch - obviously it's hard at first because you're with hundreds of people you don't know, but I've never, ever gotten the sense that anyone here attaches any stigma to whether someone is a transfer or not.


Thanks ChattelCat!
I'm really glad to hear that transfers don't stick out too much at UIUC (not the case everywhere). And I agree that the students are super friendly, I sat in on a class when I came for a visit and several students started talking to those of us visiting.

More generally, has anyone participated in the litigation clinic at UIUC? It seems like such a great opportunity. I am wondering if it is competitive to get into? Anyone have any thoughts on the Business and Policy course stream... or the teaching abilities of the faculty? (especially Hurt and Ribstein)



Hurt is great - as noted above. I have absolutely no business background and am taking Business Associations with her right now and she makes the material really accessible. Unfortunately I haven't taken anything with Ribstein but I hear good things. There are a LOT of business and business/policy type classes offered every semester. You won't have trouble taking two or three every semester if that's what you want to do.

Clinic-wise - there are two litigation clinics you can do your third year that I have some familiarity with. One is the Civil Litigation clinic where you get your 711 license (you have to have completed two years of school before you can get this) and you actually represent clients in state court (the Champaign County Courthouse is in Urbana). The other is Federal Civil Rights Clinic - in that one you represent real clients in federal court (also in Urbana). I know 3L's who are in both of them and have had absolutely fantastic experiences in both. Common sentiment is that it's a lot of work, but completely worth it for the learning experience. And then there's also Trial Team where you go to mock trial competitions (I'll be doing that next year).

User avatar
ChattelCat
Posts: 128
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:59 pm

Re: Illinois Law 1L Taking Questions

Postby ChattelCat » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:46 pm

webbylu87 wrote:I'm a potential incoming 1L with a couple questions.

I've currently not decided where I'm going and am deciding between Illinois and another similarly ranked Midwest school. Illinois would be slightly more expensive and I am concerned about the debt level. I'm staring down $150k in debt and it's very worrying. I guess I'm wondering if anyone else has selected Illinois despite it being the more expensive option and if they can reflect on what they anticipate the debt burden being like given the current job market. Also, as someone who wouldn't mind Chicago but is currently looking at a move to St. Louis in the future, do you know of any Illinois grads in the St. Louis area? Is there variety in where firms at OCI are recruiting from or is it mainly a Chicago crowd?

Thanks in advance.


Can't really speak to current debt - but last year at OCI there were several St. Louis employers.

User avatar
Speedzie
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:26 pm

Re: Illinois Law 1L Taking Questions

Postby Speedzie » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:53 pm

ChattelCat wrote:
webbylu87 wrote:I'm a potential incoming 1L with a couple questions.

I've currently not decided where I'm going and am deciding between Illinois and another similarly ranked Midwest school. Illinois would be slightly more expensive and I am concerned about the debt level. I'm staring down $150k in debt and it's very worrying. I guess I'm wondering if anyone else has selected Illinois despite it being the more expensive option and if they can reflect on what they anticipate the debt burden being like given the current job market. Also, as someone who wouldn't mind Chicago but is currently looking at a move to St. Louis in the future, do you know of any Illinois grads in the St. Louis area? Is there variety in where firms at OCI are recruiting from or is it mainly a Chicago crowd?

Thanks in advance.


Can't really speak to current debt - but last year at OCI there were several St. Louis employers.


First, I'm not too sure how useful OCI is these days, but that (i think) goes to the real answer to webbylu's questions: What's your guess about how the job market will turn around? (And I say "guess" since we're all just guessing at this point). Similarly, how risk-averse are you; and what do you think is the bigger risk, debt or lack of prestige? If you think debt is the bigger risk, that leans towards going to the cheaper school … I think you can imagine the remaining permutations of "ifs" here. Personally, I’m pessimistic about the economic outlook for the next few years, but I’m also in the worst-hit class: 2011.

Secondly, if it's St. Louis you're looking for, look to what schools send people to St. Louis (or at least MO). These numbers aren't hard to find. Look on school websites, NLJ figures, Martindale Hubbell, LSAC might have some, etc, etc. I say this because there’s really no better indicator of a school’s connection to a particular area than the number of 1) graduates it sends there (newlawyers), or 2) the number of alums working there generally (all lawyers).

Lastly, and going back to my first point: If you’re looking for a good balance of “good school,” “low price,” and “good economy,” you might be best off waiting another cycle. A minor change in LSAT score could substantially improve your odds of getting a decent scholarship; not to mention the benefit of being the earliest applicant in the cycle (where people are admitted more easily); and maybe most importantly, you’d ride out another year of this danged economy . The 1-year opportunity cost might be very small, compared to the cost of graduating in a tough job market, with crippling debt.

User avatar
dmcbride
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:31 pm

Re: Illinois Law 1L Taking Questions

Postby dmcbride » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:53 am

Not sure if this was asked/answered already but what apartment complexes offer furnished apartments? Also are there any good second-hand furniture shops in the area other than Salvation Army-type thrift shops?

User avatar
ChattelCat
Posts: 128
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:59 pm

Re: Illinois Law 1L Taking Questions

Postby ChattelCat » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:55 pm

dmcbride wrote:Not sure if this was asked/answered already but what apartment complexes offer furnished apartments? Also are there any good second-hand furniture shops in the area other than Salvation Army-type thrift shops?


short answer = there are lots, most of them are on campus though. The best (and easiest) way to start is by googling management companies. There are several companies that manage a lot of the properties on and off campus and most have pretty good websites. Off campus options are a lot more limited in terms of furnished places. Here are a few that I know of:

ChattelCat wrote:
ChattelCat wrote:If you're looking for furnished place try Town and Country http://www.tandcapartments.com, the Pointe http://www.pointe-ui.com, or the Village at Colbert Park (which has a free shuttle which takes you directly to the law school) http://www.villagecp.com


You can also try Hessel on the Park - I'm pretty sure they have furnished places (it's an older complex though) http://www.mckinley.com/apartments/illinois/champaign/ (though very close to the law school). I don't know a whole lot about on campus places, but Burnham310 is a highrise that opened last year and seems nice http://www.burnham310.com


I also have some friends who live here (on campus) --LinkRemoved-- close to the law school and is a nice, new building.

User avatar
MBZags
Posts: 552
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:21 pm

Re: Illinois Law 1L Taking Questions

Postby MBZags » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:54 pm

The Village at Colbert Park is furnished, too.

User avatar
DerrickRose
Posts: 1106
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:08 pm

Re: Illinois Law 1L Taking Questions

Postby DerrickRose » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:56 pm

I cannot stress this strongly enough: Be very sure about the public transportation situation with regard to where you live. Both for getting to and from school as parking is a big hassle, and going out to the bars and whatnot as the cab situation in Champaign is embarrassingly bad.

The buses on the other hand are free to students, extensive in their coverage, and as reliable as you could reasonably expect them to be.

Don't live in some far-aflung locale where the buses don't go. You'll be walking long distances to school, pouring your student loans into parking meters, and avoiding going out just because you don't know how to get home.

User avatar
ChattelCat
Posts: 128
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:59 pm

Re: Illinois Law 1L Taking Questions

Postby ChattelCat » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:42 am

DerrickRose wrote:I cannot stress this strongly enough: Be very sure about the public transportation situation with regard to where you live. Both for getting to and from school as parking is a big hassle, and going out to the bars and whatnot as the cab situation in Champaign is embarrassingly bad.

The buses on the other hand are free to students, extensive in their coverage, and as reliable as you could reasonably expect them to be.

Don't live in some far-aflung locale where the buses don't go. You'll be walking long distances to school, pouring your student loans into parking meters, and avoiding going out just because you don't know how to get home.


If you're not planning on living on campus I personally wouldn't recommend relying on the buses at all if you can help it. The three people I knew first semester of 1L that didn't have cars got them by second semester. I'm all about public transportation when it can get you where you need to go - but time becomes such a precious commodity in law school that spending extra money on gas and parking just starts to make sense if it means you have two extra hours in your day. Parking in E-14 is not bad, about a 10 minute walk or 4 min bus ride, and will cost you $120 for the whole year. Also - on a side note, if you aren't going to have a car, make sure you know where the closest grocery stores are. There are areas of campus that are convenient and within walking distance of the law school but are very residential and the only place to buy food is a 7-11 or chain restaurant on Green Street (Chipotle, Jimmy John's etc.)... although I guess that might be what some people survive on anyhow :) just my $0.02.

User avatar
MBZags
Posts: 552
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:21 pm

Re: Illinois Law 1L Taking Questions

Postby MBZags » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:06 pm

For the current students, two questions:

1. Is there a printing allowance that you get through the law school, or do you have to pay per page?

2. Is the city relatively good about keeping the roads clear? I'm likely going to live off campus and not within walking distance, so I'm concerned about getting to school in the winter.

Thanks!

User avatar
ChattelCat
Posts: 128
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:59 pm

Re: Illinois Law 1L Taking Questions

Postby ChattelCat » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:43 pm

MBZags wrote:For the current students, two questions:

1. Is there a printing allowance that you get through the law school, or do you have to pay per page?

2. Is the city relatively good about keeping the roads clear? I'm likely going to live off campus and not within walking distance, so I'm concerned about getting to school in the winter.

Thanks!


1. You'd think they would, but no, we have to pay per page. Thing is most of what you'll want to print out will be off Westlaw and Lexis and they both have printers in the computer lab and printing from either of those services is free.

2. They're okay with clearing off the roads, not great, but there's never really that much snow accumulation. We're pretty far south so it would be unusual to have enough snow where you would be snowed in (not saying it couldn't happen, but in two winters here the most I think I've ever seen it snow at one time was about 4") I have a 10 year old two wheel drive car that REALLY hates snow and getting to school was never an issue - you just need to leave extra time and be careful.

unbrokenchain
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:06 am

Re: Illinois Law 1L Taking Questions

Postby unbrokenchain » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:56 pm

hkm6315 wrote:Champaign is a fun place to live. There is a huge undergrad bar scene here, but there are also a lot of more laid back bars that graduate students hang out at... Unless they are law student dudes trying to pick up undergrads with the whole "I'm a law student" line... Those guys might be at the undergrad bars. Chicago is only about a two hour drive and I go there sometimes to hang out with my cousins there on the weekends.



Don't know if you're still checking on this thread because lord knows I didn't read all 14 pages. But I for one have an IMPORTANT question...

About how well does that "I'm a law student" line really work on undergrad females?




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: mccracal and 2 guests