Illinois Law 1L Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
hkm6315

Bronze

Re: Illinois Law 1L Taking Questions

Post by hkm6315 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:38 am

^ All I have to say is GREEN STREET. If you love the insanity of 6th street then you will love Green Street. It is 6th street on a smaller scale... and 19 year-olds are allowed to all the bars as long as they have stamps or Xs on their hand or something like that. Honestly, I visited this campus and what sealed the deal for me was how incredibly similar Champaign is to Austin. They have a gorgeous campus with 40,000 undergrad, an awesome quad area similar to UT's by the fountain, and the overall feel of the campus very much reminded me of UT-Austin.

The sprinkling of graduate student bars in downtown Champaign is more akin to our 4th street and warehouse district. With 40,000 undergrads and a ton of grad students, you can go out and experience the night life pretty much any night of the week and you will find people at bars... The 19 and 20 year old population being allowed in definitely bolsters the numbers in the Green Street Bars... Which is why I favor the grad bars downtown and personally prefer not to go to Green Street. :D A lot of people I am in law school with hang out on Green Street every weekend, so it is just depends on your preference... Its similar to picking between 6th street vs. 4th street on any weekend night in Austin.

coolkatz321

Bronze

Post by coolkatz321 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:53 pm

Where do most of the students live (I asked yesterday but figured I would do it again!)? If you live with roommates, how did you pair up with them, and if not, how did you find your current apartment?

Also, where do most of the students go for groceries? The only thing I saw was an ad for Country Grocery...any other places?

hkm6315

Bronze

Post by hkm6315 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:45 am

I think I went to rent.com or apartmentratings.com. Some nice apartments I know of are Baytowne Apartments, Watersedge Apartments, Village at Colbert Park, and Hessel on the Park. There are a bunch of nice ones in Savoy I don't know the names of. I might start up chatter on the Illinois admitted students forum if you are looking for roommates. I believe that they sent around an email last year with a list of recommended apartments, so I would ask Paul about that. Some of the apartment complexes here have waiting lists so I would recommend that you start looking and calling around now if you know that you want to live here.

coolkatz321

Bronze

Post by coolkatz321 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:31 pm

hkm6315 wrote:I think I went to rent.com or apartmentratings.com. Some nice apartments I know of are Baytowne Apartments, Watersedge Apartments, Village at Colbert Park, and Hessel on the Park. There are a bunch of nice ones in Savoy I don't know the names of. I might start up chatter on the Illinois admitted students forum if you are looking for roommates. I believe that they sent around an email last year with a list of recommended apartments, so I would ask Paul about that. Some of the apartment complexes here have waiting lists so I would recommend that you start looking and calling around now if you know that you want to live here.
I'm pretty sure they sent that email already, but because it's on my PC at school and I'm on break right now. Where do you shop for groceries?

chalis8

New

Post by chalis8 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:36 am

Hey were you in our Conlaw class last Thursday? I thought I saw someone who looked like your picture :)

I would add a couple places to Hailey's list: Amber Pointe in Urbana (where I'm moving next year - really nice and new) and Prospect Point and Ginger Creek - both Royse and Brinkmeyer places. Royse and Brinkmeyer is a really great management company and they actually have some cheaper apartments too if you don't want to spend $650-$800 a month http://www.roysebrinkmeyer.com (although that's only for a 1 bedroom - a 2br is usually only about $100 more so is much cheaper if you split costs). They also don't require a security deposit if you're a law student. I would NOT recommend Town and Country. They put it on the "popular places students live" list and I only know a couple of people who actually live there and no one likes it. I looked at apts there and their "model" apts were smelly and old. (their website is very misleading). Also don't live at 88 West. The police are there every weekend from what I've been told and everyone I know who lives there is moving out.

Another thing, if you think you're coming here and are interested in these nicer, newer places (e.g. Watersedge, Baytowne etc.) I would fill out an application ASAP. I looked for an apt in May of last year and Baytowne had such a long waiting list they basically told me there was no way I could get a place in August. Generally they don't charge you a fee to fill out an application.

Most people found their roommates on the admitted students forum. There are a lot of housing options where you have your own lease for your room in a multiple bedroom apt. (The Village at Colbert Park, Burnham 310, Indigo Place) all are usually fully furnished, there is a full bathroom off each bedroom, and tend to be pretty inexpensive because you have roommates. Unless you're on a tight budget though I would say that having your own place is definitely worth it in law school. It gives you the option of studying at home which, given the amount of studying you will do (or at least that you should do haha) it's really nice not to have to go to the library to get things done.

There are tons of grocery stores. If you want to go the superstore route there are 3 Walmarts and 2 Meijers (Meijer has a far superior grocery store though) the more expensive route: a couple of IGA's, Schnucks, County Markets, and then there are a couple specialty health food stores (Strawberry Fields). No shortage of grocery stores in this town! (oh and Walmart, Meijer, and the IGAs are open 24 hours and I think that both Schnucks might be too but don't quote me on that)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

knownot

New

Post by knownot » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:51 am

Is there a target in Champaign? I didn't notice one.

Also, it has been mentioned that some people's SO's have jobs, mostly in teaching. Are their any buisnesses in Champaign that would have entry level positions open? Does the school ever hire SO's?

coolkatz321

Bronze

Post by coolkatz321 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:56 am

chalis8 wrote:Hey were you in our Conlaw class last Thursday? I thought I saw someone who looked like your picture :)
Yep, that was me. Our tour guide talked too long so we got to the class late, then had to finish up the tour right after the class. Hamilton was hilarious, though.

Thanks for all the info...I'll probably fill out applications in the next few weeks, but only because I'm still making my decision on where to attend (UIUC is looking pretty good though atm).

Also, do you guys have any food co-ops there? I'm an advocate for two things: cheap food (which usually isn't organic) and organic food (which usually isn't cheap).

And, +1 on the Target question, but only because I absolutely abhor Walmart.
-----------------------
Also, unrelated question: What is Culver's Butter Burgers? I saw a billion of them on my trip across the Midwest.

chalis8

New

Post by chalis8 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:45 pm

Yeah, Hamilton is awesome. We love him.

There is a Target out on Prospect Ave with all the other chain stores. I know there is at least one food coop I've heard of called Common Ground - I don't know much more than the name of it though. Culver's is a frozen custard/burger chain. They call them butterburgers because they butter and toast the bun. They're made to order burgers and are really good. Frozen custard is another midwestern phenomenon which will make you really fat but is really worth it (on occasion). It has twice the butterfat of ice cream so is SOOOOO good. (I only know all this because I worked a Culver's in high school)

As far as entry level jobs I really have no idea. My life has been consumed with getting through 1L year. This is a pretty big "small town" so it would not surprise me at all if there were more opportunities than people generally assume there are. That being said I would recommend looking in the local papers (News-Gazette or maybe Daily Illini) or maybe even on Craigslist to get a better idea of what is out there. I don't know that the reason a lot of SO's have teaching jobs is because that's what is available, I think it's more because that is what they did before moving here.

hkm6315

Bronze

Post by hkm6315 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:26 pm

^ Happy Birthday Chalis! Hope it was a good one : )

It is true that a lot of people's SO's are teachers because they taught before moving here. Teaching kids is also a job that you can do in any city. A LOT of people's SO's live in Chicago because there is obviously a much larger job market there. It depends on what type of job your SO is looking for.
Last edited by hkm6315 on Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

coolkatz321

Bronze

Post by coolkatz321 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:27 pm

chalis8 wrote:Hey were you in our Conlaw class last Thursday? I thought I saw someone who looked like your picture :)

I would add a couple places to Hailey's list: Amber Pointe in Urbana (where I'm moving next year - really nice and new) and Prospect Point and Ginger Creek - both Royse and Brinkmeyer places. Royse and Brinkmeyer is a really great management company and they actually have some cheaper apartments too if you don't want to spend $650-$800 a month http://www.roysebrinkmeyer.com (although that's only for a 1 bedroom - a 2br is usually only about $100 more so is much cheaper if you split costs). They also don't require a security deposit if you're a law student. I would NOT recommend Town and Country. They put it on the "popular places students live" list and I only know a couple of people who actually live there and no one likes it. I looked at apts there and their "model" apts were smelly and old. (their website is very misleading). Also don't live at 88 West. The police are there every weekend from what I've been told and everyone I know who lives there is moving out.
Probably a stupid question, but are most of the apartments located either somewhat near the law school or near a bus stop that goes to campus?

Also, and sorry for bombarding you guys-- have you found that the living costs that UIUC estimates are about accurate, or more than is needed? :D

chalis8

New

Post by chalis8 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:56 pm

Hey no problem. I definitely prefer giving apt advice to finishing my crim reading :)

People live all over the place to be honest. There are people who live on campus who walk to school. Hessel on the Park is the closest "nicer" apt complex that is a walkable distance (although still a good 15 min walk) but about 2 mins in the car. The apts are older but a lot of 1L's live there. I live about as far west in Champaign as you can go before you reach a cornfield and it's literally a 10 minute drive in door to door. It just depends if you want to rely on your car or not. Some people do rely on the bus but I personally wouldn't want to. That's just me though. If you look at the CUMTD website you can get a good idea of where the buses run. The law school is kind of centrally located so it's hard to find a place to live in Champaign, Urbana, or Savoy that is more than a 10 minute drive to school (15 mins tops) otherwise you'd be living in the middle of a cornfield.

I think the cost of living estimate was a little high for me, but I don't do a lot of extraneous shopping or buy takeout a lot either. If you live by yourself a reasonable estimate is $600-$750 a month for rent although if you don't mind a slightly smaller space you can definitely find something for less. In the winter my power and gas bill runs about $150, in the summer more like $80. Cable and internet runs about $60-100 depending on what sort of mega cable package you want. If you have roommates you can probably get your rent down to around $350-$450. A lot of the places have wireless internet included. Some have cable included. Food costs again depend on where you shop. If you're only buying organic stuff from Strawberry Fields you'll probably spend more on groceries. If you're buying lunch at school every day add another $7-$10 a day to your food budget. I cook (okay, well, maybe cook is not the right word. I microwave thing very skillfully :) ) and bring my lunch most days (there are two fridges where you can stash your lunch if you bring it) and probably average about $80 - $100 a week on food.

Bottom line is if you use the estimate the school gives you as your budget you'll probably live pretty comfortably, but depends on how expensive your tastes are too.

ndandekar

New

Post by ndandekar » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:00 pm

What's the story on in-state tuition? I was given a 20k scholarship, so I'll be paying the equivalent of in-state level tuition, but will they give me in-state status after my first year? I plan on calling the Financial Aid office tomorrow, but if one of you could answer tonight, that would be great too.

And thanks for answering my nightlife question, it sounds like I won't be disappointed with the nightlife at all. Another question about social life though: I've read on the Admitted Students blog that because the class size is relatively small compared to some schools, it may be a jolt, especially for someone like me coming from a large state university. The blogger compared it to high school a little bit, saying that gossip tends to spread pretty fast and things like that. What are your thoughts? Thanks again.

coolkatz321

Bronze

Post by coolkatz321 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:16 pm

ndandekar wrote:What's the story on in-state tuition? I was given a 20k scholarship, so I'll be paying the equivalent of in-state level tuition, but will they give me in-state status after my first year? I plan on calling the Financial Aid office tomorrow, but if one of you could answer tonight, that would be great too.

And thanks for answering my nightlife question, it sounds like I won't be disappointed with the nightlife at all. Another question about social life though: I've read on the Admitted Students blog that because the class size is relatively small compared to some schools, it may be a jolt, especially for someone like me coming from a large state university. The blogger compared it to high school a little bit, saying that gossip tends to spread pretty fast and things like that. What are your thoughts? Thanks again.
In-state tuition at UIUC is nearly impossible, unless you plan on marrying someone who's an Illinois resident. Believe me, I asked quite a bit about residency when I was there last week.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous0L

Post by Anonymous0L » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:18 pm

coolkatz321 wrote:
ndandekar wrote:What's the story on in-state tuition? I was given a 20k scholarship, so I'll be paying the equivalent of in-state level tuition, but will they give me in-state status after my first year? I plan on calling the Financial Aid office tomorrow, but if one of you could answer tonight, that would be great too.

In-state tuition at UIUC is nearly impossible, unless you plan on marrying someone who's an Illinois resident. Believe me, I asked quite a bit about residency when I was there last week.
Drive through marriage service available in LV. Grab- Marry- Divorce. Perfect.

coolkatz321

Bronze

Post by coolkatz321 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:19 pm

Jwatson wrote:
coolkatz321 wrote:

Drive through marriage service available in LV. Grab- Marry- Divorce. Perfect.
UGH, stop giving away my secret in-state tuition trick!

Anonymous0L

Post by Anonymous0L » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:21 pm

Make a deal with somebody. tell them to marry you and you'd give them half of what you'd save being in-state. That'll work.

chalis8

New

Post by chalis8 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:55 pm

ndandekar wrote:
Well, U of I is a large state university :) So if you ever feel homesick you can always walk through campus... To actually answer your question though...the law school is definitely on the small side in terms of law schools but I think that's one of the redeeming factors of Illinois. As opposed to being an anonymous face in a 100+ person sections the largest class you'll have is about 63 people, and by the end of the semester the professor will know your name. The only reason people say it's like high school is because you're in the same building all day and there are lockers, but you'll find that at most law schools, it's not unique to IL. And when you're in the same classes all day with the same people for an entire semester some gossip is bound to spread. But it'll happen wherever you are. There haven't been any rampant, life ruining, vicious rumors that have swept through the school, at least that I've encountered.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

hkm6315

Bronze

Post by hkm6315 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:41 pm

In-state tuition is very very tricky here. Paul Pless directed me to a website this past summer that describes how to go about establishing residency at Illinois: http://www.usp.uillinois.edu/residency.cfm
It is possible after a year here, but not easy.

I went to University of Texas at Austin with 38,000 undergrads and classes of up to 350 people. I did not find the transition to classes with either 32 or 65 people strange at all. I prefer the smaller class size because you can have more of a voice, get to know your teachers easier, and you become really close to everyone in your section. I honestly love the small class size because I probably would not have been able to make so many close friends without it.

I honestly heard the same thing coming into UIUC about the high school analogy and drama because the school is so small. I don't know who is saying this, but I don't see any high school drama at all... People here are really decent and laid back. I can't think of anyone in our whole class who would try to start drama or high school gossip. Maybe there are small pockets of drama that I don't know about, but it is definitely not visible or significant.

coolkatz321

Bronze

Post by coolkatz321 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:31 pm

hkm6315 wrote:

In-state tuition is very very tricky here. Paul Pless directed me to a website this past summer that describes how to go about establishing residency at Illinois: http://www.usp.uillinois.edu/residency.cfm
It is possible after a year here, but not easy.
Just out of curiosity, have you/anyone you know been able to do it?

ndandekar

New

Post by ndandekar » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:27 pm

Damn...this looks like I would need to find a full-time job somewhere in order to establish residency. OK, thanks for the information though!

hkm6315

Bronze

Post by hkm6315 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:40 pm

I have heard that it is possible to get residency. Like you guys were saying, your best bet is to get your Illinois green card by marrying a resident :D . I am going to try to get residency in August. I got my Illinois DL, plates, voters registration, etc. the day I moved here. Its worth a shot. I don't really know many 2Ls or 3Ls so I am not sure if any of them have gotten in-state residency, but Paul did tell me at one point that it was possible. At some schools it is not even possible.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

coolkatz321

Bronze

Post by coolkatz321 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:47 pm

hkm6315 wrote:I have heard that it is possible to get residency. Like you guys were saying, your best bet is to get your Illinois green card by marrying a resident :D . I am going to try to get residency in August. I got my Illinois DL, plates, voters registration, etc. the day I moved here. Its worth a shot. I don't really know many 2Ls or 3Ls so I am not sure if any of them have gotten in-state residency, but Paul did tell me at one point that it was possible. At some schools it is not even possible.
Did you move to 'Chambana' (I have the lingo down!) in August? I'm really leaning towards Illinois right now, so I think I'd try to do this immediately, too. Besides, I'd be able to shed the NJ stereotype... :lol:

ndandekar

New

Post by ndandekar » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:10 pm

OK hkm here's the plan. You get your residency before this year. Next summer, we get married and everyone (or just me) gets what they want :D haha

hkm6315

Bronze

Post by hkm6315 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:38 pm

ndandekar wrote:OK hkm here's the plan. You get your residency before this year. Next summer, we get married and everyone (or just me) gets what they want :D haha
Haha. Sorry buddy, already got a ring on my finger. :D Most people who attend this school are from Illinois, so I if you get on that love connection thing quickly enough here you might be able to get hitched and acquire residency! lol :lol: Ok, not that I am really recommending that but it is an entertaining notion.

NightPutting

New

Post by NightPutting » Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:04 pm

I go to UIUC for undergrad so I can answer a few questions about the campus proper as well. As a sidenote, I love the fact everyone on TLS refers to it as UIUC while the school is trying to rebrand itself to just "Illinois" because they assume no one knows what UIUC refers to.

There are two Wal-Marts (one up north on Prospect Ave. near a Meijer and a bunch of restaurants and stores you'd expect in any city, and another south in Savoy near CMI airport) within 10-15 minutes. There are some buses that have stops right next to Meijer and Target on Prospect, but you'll basically need a car to get there.

However, a County Market literally just opened on 4th and Springfield, which is about a 5 minute walk from the quad, so you don't necessarily have to make a big trek for groceries every once in a while.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”