Illinois Law 1L Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
tmon

Silver

Re: Illinois Law 1L Taking Questions

Post by tmon » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:16 pm

Kind of random/early, but is everyone on their own to go get their I-card? I'm wondering if I could technically go get mine now and get into the rec center since I'm in town early.

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:27 pm

tmon wrote:Kind of random/early, but is everyone on their own to go get their I-card? I'm wondering if I could technically go get mine now and get into the rec center since I'm in town early.
Don't know when you can get your iCard but I know that unless you're taking sinner classes you can't get into the Arc during the summer without paying extra. (Like 85 bucks)

tmon

Silver

Post by tmon » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:47 pm

Foiled again. :x

LSD22

New

Post by LSD22 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:11 pm

Looks like 2L OCI and job placement has been touched on but what about 1L OCI or job placement...do 1L's typically work their first summer?

chitown2626

New

Post by chitown2626 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:47 pm

LSD22 wrote:Looks like 2L OCI and job placement has been touched on but what about 1L OCI or job placement...do 1L's typically work their first summer?
Rising 2L here, yes 1L's work their first summer. Every single 1L that I know is working a legal position this summer. A few have paid positions (whether it be a 1L summer associate position at a firm or an hourly wage with a public interest group) but most are unpaid positions. For these unpaid positions you can get between 2-4 credits that you can apply to your fall 2L semester, or another semester if you want (these are called externships). This can be very valuable as your 2L fall is busy with interviewing, applying for jobs, callbacks, ect. and having a lighter courseload can be helpful.

Most of these unpaid jobs seem to be with judges or the other government agencies (like the states attorney office for example). It seems the consensus is that what you do isn't very important, but you just want to have some legal job that you will be able to talk about in your interviews during the fall of your 2L year. If you finish with honors or high honors in legal research or legal writing (our 2 pass/fail classes here) you will be eligible for the Cook County Honors Program where essentially you will be assigned to a Cook County judge in Chicago for approximately 8 weeks. I have lots of friends who have done that and it has been a good experience. Dont hesitate to ask anymore questions. (1L summer is great and there is PLENTY of free time).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:55 pm

Great answer above. How many people in your class got firm jobs of any size? I don't know very many people who did private practice, and only one that did biglaw 1l summer. Just curious if it was any different this year

chitown2626

New

Post by chitown2626 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:16 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:Great answer above. How many people in your class got firm jobs of any size? I don't know very many people who did private practice, and only one that did biglaw 1l summer. Just curious if it was any different this year
Yea i personally and anecdotally know of 1 in biglaw and then a number of people in smaller firms, most of which seem to be in towns like champaign or peoria, ect. Could be more though. But our classes look to be about the same.

DreamsInDigital

Bronze

Post by DreamsInDigital » Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:58 pm

I'm at a firm with about 15 attorneys and know a few other people at similar size firms. Only know 2 people personally that are doing big law, both in Chicago. Then I know one person with a nicely paid position in-house with some big company. Aside from that, it does seem like the vast majority of people are with judges for the summer, I know lots of people with state judges and a couple with federal judges.

adammac17

Bronze

Post by adammac17 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:00 pm

Can any 3Ls (or competition editors :) ) clue us in on when Law Review decisions were made last year?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MBZags

Silver

Post by MBZags » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:54 am

We found out on July 18th last year.

chitown2626

New

Post by chitown2626 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:37 pm

For all you rising 3L's, did you receive any interviews from the resume collects on symplicity? And if so, did you hear back from any of the firms (or other legal employers) before the application deadline that is listed for each firm (basically, do they not even look at the resume's they've collected until the deadline passes, or do they look at them as they come in)? thanks

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:45 pm

My experience with the resume collects was not good. I had more success just directly mailing the firms, even the ones doing resume collects. Other people might have different experience, but of the firms that did resume collects last year I don't know anybody working at any of them

adammac17

Bronze

Post by adammac17 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:46 pm

Ludo - since youre on here hopefully you can clear up something about symplicity for me. Were capped at 20 docs on there at a time but obvious with cover letters and everything you can pretty quickly exceed that. How quickly do the documents we use to apply to firms get "batched" together or saved so that we can then delete/replace them?

Like for early OCI - once the application deadline passes and materials get sent out its obviously ok to delete cover letters but can we do it earlier? Right away? I asked OCI and got a typical unhelpful response.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:58 pm

adammac17 wrote:Ludo - since youre on here hopefully you can clear up something about symplicity for me. Were capped at 20 docs on there at a time but obvious with cover letters and everything you can pretty quickly exceed that. How quickly do the documents we use to apply to firms get "batched" together or saved so that we can then delete/replace them?

Like for early OCI - once the application deadline passes and materials get sent out its obviously ok to delete cover letters but can we do it earlier? Right away? I asked OCI and got a typical unhelpful response.
That's a good question. I didn't apply to that many firms that required cover letters so I never reached the cap. I think as soon as you bid on a firm your documents are saved and you can delete them from the system but I'm really not sure. Sorry, I am as unhelpful as OCS on this one!

chitown2626

New

Post by chitown2626 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:17 pm

adammac17 wrote:Ludo - since youre on here hopefully you can clear up something about symplicity for me. Were capped at 20 docs on there at a time but obvious with cover letters and everything you can pretty quickly exceed that. How quickly do the documents we use to apply to firms get "batched" together or saved so that we can then delete/replace them?

Was concerned about this as well haha. Well, I deleted some of the cover letters that I used for OCI to apply for some of the resume collects and there was no problem with that. When I go to the early OCI and click on the CL "file" that I deleted, it comes up just fine.

However, unfortunately, I am not sure about deleting documents for the resume collects yet I havnt tried it.

tmon

Silver

Post by tmon » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:51 am

Anyone have a barber recommendation?

DreamsInDigital

Bronze

Post by DreamsInDigital » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:52 am

What kind of hair do you have? Mine is kind of difficult but the woman at Clutch Cuts does a really nice razor cut. It's pretty expensive because you are also paying for the atmosphere (very "man cave"-ish: you get a beer when you walk in, all the women are incredibly attractive, huge tv with sports on all the time). Honestly, I could do without all of that, but I get my hair cut so infrequently that it is worth it just because I know she is going to do a good job.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

diegoforlan10

Bronze

Post by diegoforlan10 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:41 pm

tmon wrote:Anyone have a barber recommendation?
So much this. Got my hair cut at the local Hair Cuttery after 6 months of hippie growth (I have extremely thick hair) and it looks terrible. I'm thinking about buzzing it all down.
DreamsInDigital wrote: I get my hair cut so infrequently that it is worth it just because I know she is going to do a good job.
I agree 100%. You get what you pay for. I'm never going for the cheapest option again.

tmon

Silver

Post by tmon » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:48 pm

Mine's pretty thick, but not especially difficult to deal with. I usually try to find an actual barber shop because the old dudes seem a bit better at their job than the randoms in the generic chain places. Yelp seems to have a couple options that look decent, so maybe I'll give that a shot.

tmon

Silver

Post by tmon » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:44 pm

Update: look up Andy's Barber Shop if you're into the barbershop experience. They're just a little southwest of campus. TVs on sports, dude who cut my hair was good to talk to, gave a great cut, and they do the straight razor back of neck shave/hot towel routine when they're done. It was like $17 I think, which is right around what I expect to pay with tip. Very satisfied.

diegoforlan10

Bronze

Post by diegoforlan10 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:46 pm

tmon wrote:Update: look up Andy's Barber Shop if you're into the barbershop experience. They're just a little southwest of campus. TVs on sports, dude who cut my hair was good to talk to, gave a great cut, and they do the straight razor back of neck shave/hot towel routine when they're done. It was like $17 I think, which is right around what I expect to pay with tip. Very satisfied.
Are you serious? That cheap? I paid more than that for my POS hair cut!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

chitown2626

New

Post by chitown2626 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:45 am

how likely is it that alternates turn into selects? did that happen to you guys last year?

adammac17

Bronze

Post by adammac17 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:48 am

chitown2626 wrote:how likely is it that alternates turn into selects? did that happen to you guys last year?
+1. I got 9 selects and 12 alternates lol

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:58 am

I got a couple last year. Don't get your hopes up, but it's definitely possible

blurbz

Silver

Post by blurbz » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:02 am

I think I had one or two alternates that turned into selects.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”