Illinois Law 1L Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
chitown2626

New

Re: Illinois Law 1L Taking Questions

Post by chitown2626 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:27 pm

I understand how the "good faith" effort for the top students in each section works. However, for the other 15 remaining spots or so on LR and the secondaries (30 each or so), do they factor in grades at all? Or is just simply the (75ish) best/highest scores on the competition? Thanks

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:46 pm

chitown2626 wrote:I understand how the "good faith" effort for the top students in each section works. However, for the other 15 remaining spots or so on LR and the secondaries (30 each or so), do they factor in grades at all? Or is just simply the (75ish) best/highest scores on the competition? Thanks
Grades don't matter after the grade on spots. Just high scores after that

diegoforlan10

Bronze

Post by diegoforlan10 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:43 pm

Forgive how retarded/immature this question sounds, but I'm dying to know. How much do law students interact with the undergrad crowd? Specifically, do undergrad girls perceive guys in law school as old farts or do we stand a fighting chance with them?

uiucillini23

New

Post by uiucillini23 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:38 pm

diegoforlan10 wrote:Forgive how retarded/immature this question sounds, but I'm dying to know. How much do law students interact with the undergrad crowd? Specifically, do undergrad girls perceive guys in law school as old farts or do we stand a fighting chance with them?
it depends how old you are?

diegoforlan10

Bronze

Post by diegoforlan10 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:37 pm

Let's say for the 24-27 year old range.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

chitown2626

New

Post by chitown2626 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:03 am

diegoforlan10 wrote:Let's say for the 24-27 year old range.
unless you went here for undergrad and were a part of the greek system, good luck

uiucillini23

New

Post by uiucillini23 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:41 am

do you really need to use the law school edge? why not cook her a nice dinner and just act normal. is it really that hard?

diegoforlan10

Bronze

Post by diegoforlan10 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:12 am

uiucillini23 wrote:
do you really need to use the law school edge? why not cook her a nice dinner and just act normal. is it really that hard?
No not at all, that wasn't really my question. I was more asking if law students in that age range interact enough with the undergrads to even get to the point where you can cook her a nice dinner and be charming. The impression I have is that the law school exists in it's own little bubble, a world apart from the rest of the university. Is that accurate?
chitown2626 wrote: unless you went here for undergrad and were a part of the greek system, good luck
Is the University really that cliquey? I went to Maryland and while the Greek system was huge, I wouldn't say more than 40% of the general population was part of it. You weren't really at any sort of disadvantage being a GDI.

chitown2626

New

Post by chitown2626 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:47 pm

chitown2626 wrote: unless you went here for undergrad and were a part of the greek system, good luck
Is the University really that cliquey? I went to Maryland and while the Greek system was huge, I wouldn't say more than 40% of the general population was part of it. You weren't really at any sort of disadvantage being a GDI.[/quote]

honestly, yea im sure that illinois is prolly similar to marylands in that regards. The bigger problem, for me at least, was finding other law students who are in your similar state of mind. The law school is very cliquey and it can be difficult meeting other students. Im sure if youve looked over this thread you know that most law students and grad students go downtown champaign where there are very very few undergrads. Not a whole lot of interaction with undergrads as youre basically in the law building all day and then when you go out there are very few undergrads there.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Thirteen

Diamond

Post by Thirteen » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:50 pm

chitown2626 wrote:
Is the University really that cliquey? I went to Maryland and while the Greek system was huge, I wouldn't say more than 40% of the general population was part of it. You weren't really at any sort of disadvantage being a GDI.
honestly, yea im sure that illinois is prolly similar to marylands in that regards. The bigger problem, for me at least, was finding other law students who are in your similar state of mind. The law school is very cliquey and it can be difficult meeting other students. Im sure if youve looked over this thread you know that most law students and grad students go downtown champaign where there are very very few undergrads. Not a whole lot of interaction with undergrads as youre basically in the law building all day and then when you go out there are very few undergrads there.[/quote]

All of this is credited. It's almost impossible to hit on girls on Green, because they only talk to guys that are in the Greek system. Also, most of the law students that I knew that went there (they all just graduated) tended to go to Esquire, Quality, and other bars in downtown Champaign.

mattviphky

Silver

Post by mattviphky » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:59 pm

it's a town with 40,000 students. How could you not talk to a girl? I would think that anywhere you look, there would be a student. In the gym, at the store, wherever. If you have any sort of confidence, some personality, and aren't physically unbecoming, then I would think that you would have a great shot. If you need a wingman, I'll gladly accompany. For the record, I'm not at Champaign, yet. However, as I said before, you are confined in a small town with 40,000 students; interaction with girls probably couldn't be avoided.

diegoforlan10

Bronze

Post by diegoforlan10 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:08 pm

mattviphky wrote:it's a town with 40,000 students. How could you not talk to a girl? I would think that anywhere you look, there would be a student. In the gym, at the store, wherever. If you have any sort of confidence, some personality, and aren't physically unbecoming, then I would think that you would have a great shot. If you need a wingman, I'll gladly accompany. For the record, I'm not at Champaign, yet. However, as I said before, you are confined in a small town with 40,000 students; interaction with girls probably couldn't be avoided.
Thanks. I'm not really asking for advice, though. What I was really trying to do was get a feel for how much the two scenes mix. I was wondering if UIUC law was as insular as TLS generalizes all law schools to be. I agree with everything you're saying, which is why my natural inclination is to believe that law students do mix with undergrads. I thought I might as well post ITT and hear what current students have to say though. Seems like the Greek scene might be a little more dominant than what I was used to in undergrad.

uiucillini23

New

Post by uiucillini23 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:51 pm

diegoforlan10 wrote:
mattviphky wrote:it's a town with 40,000 students. How could you not talk to a girl? I would think that anywhere you look, there would be a student. In the gym, at the store, wherever. If you have any sort of confidence, some personality, and aren't physically unbecoming, then I would think that you would have a great shot. If you need a wingman, I'll gladly accompany. For the record, I'm not at Champaign, yet. However, as I said before, you are confined in a small town with 40,000 students; interaction with girls probably couldn't be avoided.
Thanks. I'm not really asking for advice, though. What I was really trying to do was get a feel for how much the two scenes mix. I was wondering if UIUC law was as insular as TLS generalizes all law schools to be. I agree with everything you're saying, which is why my natural inclination is to believe that law students do mix with undergrads. I thought I might as well post ITT and hear what current students have to say though. Seems like the Greek scene might be a little more dominant than what I was used to in undergrad.
that sure as hell doesn't sound like your original question. why don't you read it one more time. if your question is about whether or not the law school crowd mixes with the undergrad crowd, why would you specifically mention if law school guys have a chance with undergraduate girls?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

chitown2626

New

Post by chitown2626 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:13 am

uiucillini23 wrote:
diegoforlan10 wrote:
that sure as hell doesn't sound like your original question. why don't you read it one more time. if your question is about whether or not the law school crowd mixes with the undergrad crowd, why would you specifically mention if law school guys have a chance with undergraduate girls?
Dude relax man he's a 0L about to start here, whats with the attitude?

mattviphky

Silver

Post by mattviphky » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:33 am

diegoforlan10 wrote:
Of the 40,000 students, only 7,000 of them are Greek. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University ... Greek_life But again, I don't see why this is an issue. If you see someone that interests you, then go talk to him/her. If you utilize some school services or go to the store, or a resteraunt, or anywhere other than the law school, you will find something. If anything, it will give you a reason to go work out at the ARC.

diegoforlan10

Bronze

Post by diegoforlan10 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:21 am

uiucillini23 wrote: that sure as hell doesn't sound like your original question. why don't you read it one more time. if your question is about whether or not the law school crowd mixes with the undergrad crowd, why would you specifically mention if law school guys have a chance with undergraduate girls?
In my original question I asked how much the two crowds mix and specifically if law school bros interact with undergraduate babes. I asked the second question because as a guy who likes girls, I'm not interested only in how much the two scenes mix but also in how undergraduate girls perceive law students. This is because of all the horror stories I've read on TLS advising us 0Ls not to hook up with girls in our classes. At Maryland, most undergrads seemed to think grad students were aliens from another planet that carried rare terminal diseases.

Either way, both points were raised in my original post. I also admitted that the question could be perceived as shallow and petty.
diegoforlan10 wrote:Forgive how retarded/immature this question sounds, but I'm dying to know. How much do law students interact with the undergrad crowd? Specifically, do undergrad girls perceive guys in law school as old farts or do we stand a fighting chance with them?
Thanks to everyone who offered actual feedback, though. Much appreciated. I get the feeling that it won't be a big deal.
mattviphky wrote: Of the 40,000 students, only 7,000 of them are Greek. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University ... Greek_life But again, I don't see why this is an issue. If you see someone that interests you, then go talk to him/her. If you utilize some school services or go to the store, or a resteraunt, or anywhere other than the law school, you will find something. If anything, it will give you a reason to go work out at the ARC.
For sure, man. I'm hoping and thinking this is the case. That's how it was when I was an undergrad - few girls gave a shit about whether or not you were Greek. However, other threads on TLS make it seem like law schools exist a world apart from the rest of the institution. I was hoping to get some current students to offer their perspectives on the issue.

uiucillini23

New

Post by uiucillini23 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:00 pm

I also admitted that the question could be perceived as shallow and petty.
And I give a crap that you admitted it was shallow and petty because?? If you know its a stupid question, why did you ask it?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:02 pm

uiucillini23 wrote:
And I give a crap that you admitted it was shallow and petty because?? If you know its a stupid question, why did you ask it?
Yeah, you should probably shut the fuck up and chill.

diegoforlan10

Bronze

Post by diegoforlan10 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:33 pm

bjsesq wrote:Yeah, you should probably shut the fuck up and chill.
+1

nshapkar

Gold

Post by nshapkar » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:46 am

uiucillini23 wrote:

I hope I never run into you.

chitown2626

New

Post by chitown2626 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:44 pm

were reference lists commonly asked for at OCI, and did your past references get contacted by firms?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:49 pm

chitown2626 wrote:were reference lists commonly asked for at OCI, and did your past references get contacted by firms?
Not a single firm asked for this. Good thing because I didn't even have one.

blurbz

Silver

Post by blurbz » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:34 am

So Illinois OCS took a pretty big step back this week. They released a list of firms interviewing 3Ls at OCI....It's pretty embarrassing.

Advice to rising 2Ls..rock OCI and pick a firm you will be happy with, because 3L OCI is non-existent at Illinois. We can hustle for jobs if we want to (I hope I don't have to--I love my current firm!) but the official 3L OCI is absolutely terrible and I'm shocked that OCS had the balls to send an email announcing it.

diegoforlan10

Bronze

Post by diegoforlan10 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:40 pm

blurbz wrote:So Illinois OCS took a pretty big step back this week. They released a list of firms interviewing 3Ls at OCI....It's pretty embarrassing.

Advice to rising 2Ls..rock OCI and pick a firm you will be happy with, because 3L OCI is non-existent at Illinois. We can hustle for jobs if we want to (I hope I don't have to--I love my current firm!) but the official 3L OCI is absolutely terrible and I'm shocked that OCS had the balls to send an email announcing it.
Can you give a little more information as to what about the list makes it so terrible and embarrassing? Are they joke firms?

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:43 pm

diegoforlan10 wrote:
blurbz wrote:So Illinois OCS took a pretty big step back this week. They released a list of firms interviewing 3Ls at OCI....It's pretty embarrassing.

Can you give a little more information as to what about the list makes it so terrible and embarrassing? Are they joke firms?
There are barely any firms coming, and the majority of ones that are coming are IP only. 3l OCI is basically universally bad though. I have a friend at my summer firm from a similarly ranked school and 3l OCI there is also a bloodbath.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”