Illinois Law 1L Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
chitown2626

New

Re: Illinois Law 1L Taking Questions

Post by chitown2626 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:22 pm

adammac17 wrote:
chitown2626 wrote:how likely is it that alternates turn into selects? did that happen to you guys last year?
+1. I got 9 selects and 12 alternates lol
Any movement on your mass mailing efforts yet? Lots of silence here

dreakol

Silver

Post by dreakol » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:40 pm

chitown2626 wrote:
adammac17 wrote:
chitown2626 wrote:how likely is it that alternates turn into selects? did that happen to you guys last year?
+1 to all this. 9 selects w/ 10ish alts.

Some movement on the mass mail front but mostly thanks but no thanks.

chitown2626

New

Post by chitown2626 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:48 pm

dreakol wrote:
chitown2626 wrote:
adammac17 wrote:
+1 to all this. 9 selects w/ 10ish alts.

Some movement on the mass mail front but mostly thanks but no thanks.
hmm they just sent an email saying not all selections are in. I bid on almost all firms though and have either select, alternate, or not invited for everyone.

adammac17

Bronze

Post by adammac17 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:50 pm

I think they're all in now - I checked early this morn and I had some "pending"s. Now everything is not invited, selected or alternate.

chitown2626

New

Post by chitown2626 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:12 pm

adammac17 wrote:I think they're all in now - I checked early this morn and I had some "pending"s. Now everything is not invited, selected or alternate.
as an fyi I actually did just got a select from a firm I was previously "not invited" to. so theres hope

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dreakol

Silver

Post by dreakol » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:03 pm

chitown2626 wrote:
adammac17 wrote:I think they're all in now - I checked early this morn and I had some "pending"s. Now everything is not invited, selected or alternate.
as an fyi I actually did just got a select from a firm I was previously "not invited" to. so theres hope
How were you notified? I really hope I don't have to keep checking.

chitown2626

New

Post by chitown2626 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:06 pm

dreakol wrote:
chitown2626 wrote:
i wasnt, about an hour after signing up for interview slots, i randomly logged back on and it was just there. weird i dunno.

dreakol

Silver

Post by dreakol » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:54 am

chitown2626 wrote:
dreakol wrote:
chitown2626 wrote:
i wasnt, about an hour after signing up for interview slots, i randomly logged back on and it was just there. weird i dunno.
Thanks. Just checked this morning and a few non invites turned into alts so there was some movement last night/this morning.

chitown2626

New

Post by chitown2626 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:05 pm

For the OCI scheduling page for each firm that shows what times students are interviewing at, what happens when there are 2 students under a given time? Do they interview together or are there 2 interviewers that come down and are in separate rooms?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:06 pm

Separate rooms

chitown2626

New

Post by chitown2626 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:36 pm

where is the best place to park at DCL and is there a place to eat lunch in between interviews?

dreakol

Silver

Post by dreakol » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:09 pm

chitown2626 wrote:where is the best place to park at DCL and is there a place to eat lunch in between interviews?
titcq

imma drive around and check it out tomorrow. i'm hoping it is near a neighborhood so i dont have to feed a meter all day long.

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:10 pm

I just parked at the meters right in front. I think I got a ticket one of the days but it was only 10 bucks. Had to take the car for lunch though, there's not really anything around there

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

adammac17

Bronze

Post by adammac17 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:24 pm

can anyone tell me more about Deloitte Tax? What the position entails? Ive got an oci interview but I cant find anything specific about the legal position on their site.

dreakol

Silver

Post by dreakol » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:11 pm

anyone know how safe the waiting area is? i figure it will just be us sitting in the area but want to know if its cool if i bring my laptop/bag with me and leave it there while i go to the rooms. similar to the library.

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:33 pm

dreakol wrote:anyone know how safe the waiting area is? i figure it will just be us sitting in the area but want to know if its cool if i bring my laptop/bag with me and leave it there while i go to the rooms. similar to the library.
Should be safe, there's always people in there including the career services people. I left stuff in there and there was no problem. No one else goes in there besides OCI people

tmon

Silver

Post by tmon » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:28 am

As an incoming student, should I have access to the intranet yet, or is there some separate username/password combo given out around orientation that's different from the enterpriseID/password for other stuff?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

adammac17

Bronze

Post by adammac17 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:54 pm

anybody want to keep track of callbacks as they happen? i can confirm Taft Stettinius Hollister (indy) made callbacks wed night after their interviews. anybody else heard things yet? the cso email suggests a lot have been given out already.

dreakol

Silver

Post by dreakol » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:30 pm

adammac17 wrote:anybody want to keep track of callbacks as they happen? i can confirm Taft Stettinius Hollister (indy) made callbacks wed night after their interviews. anybody else heard things yet? the cso email suggests a lot have been given out already.
if we are to do this, we should do it in the employment forum so people can poast anonymously and not hog this thread

with that said, i can confirm schiff hardin + seigfreid bingham (KC) have given call backs out and jones day and edelson mcquire (spelling?) have started to ding people

tmon

Silver

Post by tmon » Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:06 pm

Random question.

Can you copy/paste from your outline into ExamSoft if the prof allows open everything, or is this a class-by-class sort of thing? Specifically, crim with Ross.

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:48 pm

tmon wrote:Random question.

Can you copy/paste from your outline into ExamSoft if the prof allows open everything, or is this a class-by-class sort of thing? Specifically, crim with Ross.
I don't know anything about Ross specifically but if it is open everything then yes you can copy and paste. The problem is Exam Soft's copy and paste sucks. You can't just ctrl v. You have to have both windows open next to each other (the exam and the outline or whatever you want to copy from) then you have to select the text and drag it into the exam window. Sometimes it's just not worth the effort. I did it in the open everything exams I took and in some cases it's helpful.

They usually send out an email with the copy and paste instructions as it gets closer to exam time. Definitely experiment with doing it before exam day

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

tmon

Silver

Post by tmon » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:50 pm

Did any 2/3Ls happen to have Moore for Con Law, Brubaker for Ks, or Wasserman for Torts? I found it helpful to check profs' online posted exams early last semester to see what they test, but none of them have posted any.

DreamsInDigital

Bronze

Post by DreamsInDigital » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:21 pm

tmon wrote:Did any 2/3Ls happen to have Moore for Con Law, Brubaker for Ks, or Wasserman for Torts? I found it helpful to check profs' online posted exams early last semester to see what they test, but none of them have posted any.
I had Wasserman for Torts. If I remember correctly, it was what I think about as a standard issue spotter. A few long scenarios with open ended "who can sue who and likelihood of success" prompts.

She will give you sample questions throughout the semester and a full sample exam at the end I believe.

I have a pretty bad-ass outline/flowchart thing I put together. Can't guarantee it will be helpful to you, but send me a PM if you want it (this goes for any other 1Ls too).

Also, I think I have the emmanual flash cards for torts that I would let go for cheap if you're interested. Can't rely on them completely, but I found them helpful just for the examples and stuff.

tmon

Silver

Post by tmon » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:52 pm

So, any Illinois-specific OCI or pre-OCI advice? Is mass mailing (emailing?) a good idea at some point in the summer?

Obviously there are lots of factors, but can anyone estimate average numbers of OCI interviews/callbacks/offers for someone in the top third?

blurbz

Silver

Post by blurbz » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:34 pm

tmon wrote:So, any Illinois-specific OCI or pre-OCI advice? Is mass mailing (emailing?) a good idea at some point in the summer?

Obviously there are lots of factors, but can anyone estimate average numbers of OCI interviews/callbacks/offers for someone in the top third?

Top third? It might be tough. Are you on a journal? My year, those of us within the top 10% or top 15% (plus IP folks) had upwards of 25 interviews each. Those outside of the top 15% but still with decent grades got a handful. People under 25%? I don't know that they got more than one or two total OCI interviews...Such is the life at a 100% pre-select school (which means the firms get to pick EVERYONE they interview based only on grades/resume/coverletter or some combination of the three.)

The takeaway for you: Mass mail like a fiend. Write to every single firm you would even remotely consider in every single market you would even conceivably think of.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”