Obviously Dean Pless knows a lot more about Illinois Law than I do, but if you have any general questions about 1L life I will try and answer them.
1) How's the 3L placement looking so far (I mean anecdotally)? Do you know of anyone whose offers were rescinded? [sorry, not really a question about 1L life but I just wanted anecdotes from 1L's - as in, what's the general *feel*/anxiety level right now]
2) How would you rate the student body: (a) Awesome - very helpful, collegial, always ready to be friendly and accessible, go out together to bars, share outlines all the time; or (b) pretty good - quite helpful and quite friendly, kinda above average or more than you expected but nothing spectacular; or (c) average - helpful when help needed, friendly when approached, some cliques are formed, there are a few douches and some gunners, but on the whole you are satisfied; or (d) below average - not really helpful, more cliques and groups than you're comfortable with, more douches and gunners than you expected going in, on the whole you wish things would be slightly better; or (e) horrible - let me not even explain this [and I really don't expect this to be the answer].
3) How's Urbana-Champaign? I have heard mixed stories about the place. Some say it's not bad at all while some say it's a hellhole. I am thinking it's pretty much an average large college town with cold winters, yes, and less-than-spectacular offerings all right but still a decent place to spend 3 years. How would you describe your experiences there so far?
4) How friendly/helpful are the people at Career Services there? Do they seem genuinely concerned about getting you the best? Do they offer seminars or workshops etc on resume writing, etiquette stuff, interviewing skills etc.?
5) How are the professors in general? You could use the scale above from #2 if you'd like.
6) Does one need a car in Urbana-Champaign?
This much for now. Thanks