Florida State 1L Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Tuyarp
Posts: 206
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:52 pm

Re: Florida State 1L Taking Questions

Postby Tuyarp » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:43 am

Hey guys. Can you tell us about Legal Writing at FSU? Is the class graded? How tough is it?

gottaloveJAG
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:42 pm

Re: Florida State 1L Taking Questions

Postby gottaloveJAG » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:46 am

Tuyarp wrote:Hey guys. Can you tell us about Legal Writing at FSU? Is the class graded? How tough is it?


Hi there,
Legal Writing is a required 2-semester class your 1st year here. You have the same professor and class both semesters.
The difficulty of the class really depends on which professor you get (which I know can be tough to hear since you don't get to choose your professors).
The class is graded and is on a curve like all of your other classes. The class size is generally 1/3 of your section (of which there are 3)...so the writing classes are about 30 people.
Your writing class, unlike your other classes, have many grades going toward your final grade...not just one big exam grade at the end like all of your other classes.
My writing class pretty tough, but some of the other ones sound easier.

Hope this helped!
And hope to see some of you at the ASD activities today!
Best -

melyanair
Posts: 47
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:12 pm

Re: Florida State 1L Taking Questions

Postby melyanair » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:23 pm

Thw writing class for 1st year - does this satisfy writing requirments for the degree, or will there be more required, like directed study or thesis.

Also, any FSU students married with children? How is the school/ neighbourhood for families?

mango26
Posts: 294
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:16 pm

Re: Florida State 1L Taking Questions

Postby mango26 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:45 pm

so i was wanting to live in one of the apartments right by the school, but the online reviews of most of them are kind of scaring me. do any current students or undergrads in tallahassee have more specific info living by the school? good/bad experiences?

lawschoolstudent85
Posts: 226
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:10 pm

Re: Florida State 1L Taking Questions

Postby lawschoolstudent85 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:51 pm

mango26 wrote:so i was wanting to live in one of the apartments right by the school, but the online reviews of most of them are kind of scaring me. do any current students or undergrads in tallahassee have more specific info living by the school? good/bad experiences?


Right there with you.

mango26
Posts: 294
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:16 pm

Re: Florida State 1L Taking Questions

Postby mango26 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:20 pm

wiggsb wrote:
mango26 wrote:so i was wanting to live in one of the apartments right by the school, but the online reviews of most of them are kind of scaring me. do any current students or undergrads in tallahassee have more specific info living by the school? good/bad experiences?


Right there with you.


i've asked some current students who have lived there, and it seems like the overall opinion is that the apartments aren't that nice, but the location is worth it for some. i will likely end up living in one of those for 1L. being in walking distance to the school is worth it for me i think.

adjutor
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:37 pm

Re: Florida State 1L Taking Questions

Postby adjutor » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:09 pm

melyanair wrote:Thw writing class for 1st year - does this satisfy writing requirments for the degree, or will there be more required, like directed study or thesis.

Also, any FSU students married with children? How is the school/ neighbourhood for families?


The 1st year writing class is required for all students. After that you must take an Upper Level Writing course in either your 2L or 3L year. There are various topics that can be chosen for your Upper Level Writing Requirement.

There are plenty of married student here at FSU. How many have children is unknown to me, but I do know of some that have children so the answer certainly isn't 0. If you are married with children I don't think the neighborhood directly next to the school is where you'd be living (mainly due to size of living spaces; not due to unsafe conditions). There are PLENTY of neighborhoods perfect for families in Tallahassee, I highly suggest a visit and a drive about town to see for yourself.

mango26 wrote:so i was wanting to live in one of the apartments right by the school, but the online reviews of most of them are kind of scaring me. do any current students or undergrads in tallahassee have more specific info living by the school? good/bad experiences?


Yes MANY law school students live in these apartments across the street from the law school. They are not super nice, but they are super convenient. If you want something nicer, then definitely go for something nicer you just won't be able to roll out of bed 5 min before class starts. I personally would never live in those apartments because I prefer to live in a nice place and waking up a bit earlier and driving for 5-10min really doesn't bother me at all. They are not THAT bad, they are just old and not very aesthetically pleasing.

eros
Posts: 58
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:18 pm

Re: Florida State 1L Taking Questions

Postby eros » Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:25 am

Hey I noticed on the FSU Law website some conflicting info regarding laptop requirements. One page says that you are required to have a laptop running windows, while another page states that there is "limited" mac compatibility. Was wondering if you could elaborate on the laptop situation further. Specifically, is FSU's exam program windows only?

Thanks.

Tuyarp
Posts: 206
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:52 pm

Re: Florida State 1L Taking Questions

Postby Tuyarp » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:32 pm

Do any of you guys have experience with Inns of Court in Tallahassee?

mango26
Posts: 294
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:16 pm

Re: Florida State 1L Taking Questions

Postby mango26 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:40 pm

eros wrote:Hey I noticed on the FSU Law website some conflicting info regarding laptop requirements. One page says that you are required to have a laptop running windows, while another page states that there is "limited" mac compatibility. Was wondering if you could elaborate on the laptop situation further. Specifically, is FSU's exam program windows only?

Thanks.


i have the same question. long time mac user here, and i'd rather not have to switch.

User avatar
rcharles
Posts: 229
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:50 pm

Re: Florida State 1L Taking Questions

Postby rcharles » Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:00 pm

Will there be class on Monday 4/26?

Tuyarp
Posts: 206
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:52 pm

Re: Florida State 1L Taking Questions

Postby Tuyarp » Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:27 pm

eros wrote:Hey I noticed on the FSU Law website some conflicting info regarding laptop requirements. One page says that you are required to have a laptop running windows, while another page states that there is "limited" mac compatibility. Was wondering if you could elaborate on the laptop situation further. Specifically, is FSU's exam program windows only?

Thanks.


FSU uses Exam 4 and it supports OS X 10.4 and higher.

Take a look at their website: http://www.exam4.com/

eros
Posts: 58
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:18 pm

Re: Florida State 1L Taking Questions

Postby eros » Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:01 pm

Sweet, thanks tuyarp

GTLAWSCHOOL
Posts: 102
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:32 pm

Re: Florida State 1L Taking Questions

Postby GTLAWSCHOOL » Sat May 01, 2010 12:02 pm

Hey guys I am planning on taking a trip to FSU sometime soon to take a look at apartments. Looking for something semi nice, any current students care to share some places I should check out close to the law school. Thanks in advance.

mango26
Posts: 294
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:16 pm

Re: Florida State 1L Taking Questions

Postby mango26 » Thu May 27, 2010 1:03 pm

if any current students who were out of state, but now have florida residency, have any advice on gaining residency, i would greatly appreciate it. i'm moving down to tallahassee the beginning of july so i should be there early enough to start this process...

Dallas4thewin
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 12:37 pm

Re: Florida State 1L Taking Questions

Postby Dallas4thewin » Thu May 27, 2010 1:05 pm

mango26 wrote:if any current students who were out of state, but now have florida residency, have any advice on gaining residency, i would greatly appreciate it. i'm moving down to tallahassee the beginning of july so i should be there early enough to start this process...



Hey mango, have you found a place to live yet?

mango26
Posts: 294
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:16 pm

Re: Florida State 1L Taking Questions

Postby mango26 » Thu May 27, 2010 1:07 pm

Dallas4thewin wrote:
mango26 wrote:if any current students who were out of state, but now have florida residency, have any advice on gaining residency, i would greatly appreciate it. i'm moving down to tallahassee the beginning of july so i should be there early enough to start this process...



Hey mango, have you found a place to live yet?


yes. found a place on craigslist.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest