Florida State 1L Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
adjutor

New

Re: Florida State 1L Taking Questions

Post by adjutor » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:08 pm

ajf110577 wrote:I was recently offered a scholarship but it is for the first year only. Are there are a lot of scholarship opportunities for 2 and 3Ls? Most schools have made a point of saying that they don't give out many scholarships past what is awarded to incoming 1Ls, and I'm wondering if FSU is different in this respect.
From what I've heard, FSU is similar to "most schools" in this respect. To be honest though I'm not really too knowledgeable on the subject as I wasn't offered a scholarship as a 1L and don't plan on getting any for the other years. Sorry I can't be of too much help on this subject.

adjutor

New

Post by adjutor » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:54 am

http://www.law.fsu.edu/prospective_stud ... index.html

This is the newly created Video Viewbook. There is a lot of updated information on this site. I highly recommend any one considering FSU Law take a look. Thanks!

klmnumbers

New

Post by klmnumbers » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:03 pm

ajf110577 wrote:I was recently offered a scholarship but it is for the first year only. Are there are a lot of scholarship opportunities for 2 and 3Ls? Most schools have made a point of saying that they don't give out many scholarships past what is awarded to incoming 1Ls, and I'm wondering if FSU is different in this respect.
Keep in mind you will probably gain Florida residency for your 2nd and 3rd year. In state tuition for Florida residents is disgustingly cheap. Somewhere around 11k if I recall correctly.

AJaKe

Bronze

Post by AJaKe » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:50 pm

Last edited by AJaKe on Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AJaKe

Bronze

Post by AJaKe » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:56 pm

Last edited by AJaKe on Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

klmnumbers

New

Post by klmnumbers » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:18 am

AJaKe wrote:
misbuble wrote:Your screen is someone broken though, nobody at slb knows how to focus a projector.
You CANNOT talk bad about the SLC to me, cause yeah, I will defend this building as the best thing that ever happened to FSU, with the Cinema being a integral part of student life at FSU.
misbuble wrote:please tell me you never worked concessions
Excuse you? What is wrong with the concessions?
GO team SLB employees. Represent. =D

adjutor

New

Post by adjutor » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:55 pm

AJaKe wrote:Wow, tangent there

To the OP:

What do you know about FSU grads / 3Ls getting Clerkships? Specifically federal. Too much to hope for?
My apologies but I do not know that much about the subject. What I do know is it really comes down to having phenomenal grades and knowing the right people. The sooner you realize its not what you know, or where you go to school, but who you know/your family knows the better off you'll be in the legal profession. Yes, I do know of 3Ls who have gotten pretty awesome clerkships at the state court, and DCA level. But I personally do not know of anyone who has gotten a federal clerkship. Hope this helped a little.

pdubz05

New

Post by pdubz05 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:49 pm

Hello, and thank you for taking questions. I realize this topic hasn't been posted on in awhile but I was hoping you could answer a few things for me..

a) I visited today and I honestly could not believe how well I was received. Everyone at the law school, including the professor whose class I sat in on, seemed to think I was the second coming or something. Actually, I was almost taken aback by how nice everyone was. Is this how most people are all the time or was this just an aberration?

b) I know a lot of schools talk about their "laid-back" atmosphere, but FSU really seems to win this department hands down. Everyone I talked to claims their social life is not lacking at all, and I really feel like this is a place where someone can have fun and still perform well. Would you agree with this sentiment?

c) In your opinion, what is the worst thing about FSU Law?

d) I was born and raised in Ohio, and the farthest south I have ever lived is Louisville, KY. Is Tallahassee going to be a tough adjustment for me in any way?

pdubz05

New

Post by pdubz05 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:10 pm

bumptastic

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

adjutor

New

Post by adjutor » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:27 pm

pdubz05 wrote:Hello, and thank you for taking questions. I realize this topic hasn't been posted on in awhile but I was hoping you could answer a few things for me..

a) I visited today and I honestly could not believe how well I was received. Everyone at the law school, including the professor whose class I sat in on, seemed to think I was the second coming or something. Actually, I was almost taken aback by how nice everyone was. Is this how most people are all the time or was this just an aberration?

b) I know a lot of schools talk about their "laid-back" atmosphere, but FSU really seems to win this department hands down. Everyone I talked to claims their social life is not lacking at all, and I really feel like this is a place where someone can have fun and still perform well. Would you agree with this sentiment?

c) In your opinion, what is the worst thing about FSU Law?

d) I was born and raised in Ohio, and the farthest south I have ever lived is Louisville, KY. Is Tallahassee going to be a tough adjustment for me in any way?
a) Your professors will treat you with respect, but the fawning you claimed to have been part of today is not an everyday occurrence. I think the "nice factor" you are questioning will continue once you enroll here I think.

b) I could not agree more with your assessment of the atmosphere at FSU. This is the #1 selling point of FSU law in my opinion. I'm not going to fool you into thinking your social life will be as active or rampant as an undergrads', but you are able to have a life outside of law school. I have had a great time in law school, something I would have never thought was possible starting out.

c) Worst thing about FSU law..... I guess that would have to be the aesthetics of the Research Center. That place is kinda gross looking. Very plain, and old. That's all I can come up with, I hope you weren't looking for something deeper than that.

d) Tallahassee is quite diverse, comprised of both students and working professionals. This means that there are people from all walks of life in this city. Judging by the way you phrased the question I'm guessing you are asking if I think Tallahassee is too southern, and the answer is no. I used to live in Gainesville, FL and would probably tell you that might be a big jump for you, but Tallahassee is not like this. You will be just fine when adjusting to Tallahassee, I have yet to see anyone find it tough to do.

Hope this helps.

Mastiff

New

Post by Mastiff » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:54 am

I am a recent FSULAW grad, Dec'08, and I would second the positive statements made here. I am not as critical of the library either.

adjutor

New

Post by adjutor » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:35 pm

FSU moves from #55 to #52.... I made this prediction earlier and it came true. I also predict FSU is going to continue to rise.

Tuyarp

Bronze

Post by Tuyarp » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:51 am

Adjutor, you should revive this thread. It's really helpful.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

adjutor

New

Post by adjutor » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:22 pm

Not a problem, I am now a 2L taking questions. Fire away.

JMBrown32

New

Post by JMBrown32 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:47 pm

adjutor wrote:Not a problem, I am now a 2L taking questions. Fire away.
How bad was OCI?

Tuyarp

Bronze

Post by Tuyarp » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:49 pm

How do you feel about the 1L curriculum change for next fall?

adjutor

New

Post by adjutor » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:19 pm

JMBrown32 wrote:
How bad was OCI?
OCI for 2Ls is mainly for those in the top 10% of the class who are on journals and moot court/mock trial. I must admit I am not in this category. That being said, I have had several interviews on campus and off campus for jobs and they are not all that bad at all. If you have work experience and are not completely socially inept then you stand a decent chance of landing jobs even if your grades aren't as stellar. I think that's what this question was asking, if not please repost with what you are looking for.
Tuyarp wrote:
How do you feel about the 1L curriculum change for next fall?
I had heard about this last year as a proposed change and now see that it is official on the website. I can only tell you that my 1L experience was not totally based on the order of classes I took, or the fact our Contracts class was 5 credits instead of 4 (split 3 fall 2 spring). I think the change might be better for all I know, I imagine the folks in the administration wouldn't go about such a change without much thoughtful deliberation. I guess only time will tell if the change has any impact at all.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Tuyarp

Bronze

Post by Tuyarp » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:36 pm

Does OCI consist of firms only? Are there other recruiting events during the academic year?

Also, what change(s) would you like to see at the law school?

adjutor

New

Post by adjutor » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:22 pm

Tuyarp wrote:Does OCI consist of firms only? Are there other recruiting events during the academic year?

Also, what change(s) would you like to see at the law school?

I'm glad you asked this, before I came to law school I was in the same boat as many TLSers, thinking that OCI was the primary time/place for jobs. When in fact, nothing could be farther from the truth. The placement office at FSU does a great job of setting up OCIs for all grade levels. These consists of not only private law firms but also government agencies, military, corporations, etc. OCIs occur throughout the year but are mainly during the fall. 1Ls cannot participate in the fall OCIs because of ABA standards which prohibit it.

The placement office here uses online software called Symplicity to help students find jobs. It organizes OCIs, resume referrals, employer lookups, etc. Also, they do on-campus recruiting events for different cities or different areas of law.

On the second question, I wish there was a financial aid rep that had an office at the law school. You have to go on campus if you don't meet with her during the few times she is in the building, which is a hassle. I hope you weren't looking for anything too big here, because to be quite honest with you I really don't have many complaints. I recommend everyone to just come for a tour and sit in on a class to understand why people are consistently choosing FSU law over UF law. (In the spirit of full disclosure I am a HUGE Gator fan and went to UF undergrad/grad.... the law school at FSU is just better)

Tuyarp

Bronze

Post by Tuyarp » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:58 pm

If you don't mind, what other schools were you considering besides FSU and UF?

Do law students hang out with students from other graduate schools?

Do you have any insights regarding securing clerkships (federal and state) from FSU?

How is FSU's placement in South Florida?

Also, if FSU law students are all like you, then I'm really looking forward to be a member of class of 2013!

adjutor

New

Post by adjutor » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:43 pm

Tuyarp wrote:1.)If you don't mind, what other schools were you considering besides FSU and UF?

2.) Do law students hang out with students from other graduate schools?

3.) Do you have any insights regarding securing clerkships (federal and state) from FSU?

4.) How is FSU's placement in South Florida?

Also, if FSU law students are all like you, then I'm really looking forward to be a member of class of 2013!
1.) I also applied to Samford in Alabama (as a back-up) but those were the only two I wanted because I wanted to practice law in Florida and those are far and away the best law school in Florida (anyone trying the UM argument is blinded by volumes of debt, don't waste your time).

2.) Yes, law students do see students from other graduate schools. Namely, we have a Med/Mal Social with the Med students. Besides this if you make an effort to be social (e.g. go out to the bars at night or whatever scene you are in to) then you are bound to meet students from other graduate school as well as the undergrads.

3.) I wish I knew more about this, but I can tell you that I know of several people personally who have clerked for all levels of judges around the state and region (none federal that I can think of off the top of my head). The placement office would most likely know the statistics on this.

4.) FSU doesn't pick any one area of the state to help students acquire jobs. They look better as a school if they can place students all over, so that is obviously what they set out to do. I recall they even put on a luncheon called "Jobs in South Florida" and had speakers and lawyers come in to discuss this very topic. FSU placement office will help you if you make the effort to seek employment.

Send any of the TLSers from your FSU 2010 group over here if they have any questions, I'll be glad to answer them.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jlnoa0915

Bronze

Post by jlnoa0915 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:50 pm

Thanks again for taking the time to answer the questions.

If you have any knowledge on the subject; does the FSU degree have the ability extend outside of FL in your opinion? If so how how far?

iShotFirst

Bronze

Post by iShotFirst » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:54 pm

Are there many married students? Any comments on how married people get along at FSU?

Also, my wife is SUPER-safety conscious, and I always hear about the crime in tallahassee... please relieve my concerns if possible :D

lawduder

Bronze

Post by lawduder » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:43 pm

tjeffery wrote:Are there many married students? Any comments on how married people get along at FSU?

Also, my wife is SUPER-safety conscious, and I always hear about the crime in tallahassee... please relieve my concerns if possible :D
I'm an undergrad at FSU and I thought this past fall semester was the worst as far as crimes reported to the students by the university. It seemed like there was another report of a robbery every other week. That being said, I've never felt unsafe in Tallahassee, provided I wasn't in French town. There are definitely some sketchy places here and the couple of times I had evening classes I definitely drove to campus where as I'd usually walk to class (my apartment is very close) during the day. I do, however, come from a very small town so it's possible that I just think there's more crime here based on where I grew up.

adjutor

New

Post by adjutor » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:54 pm

jlnoa0915 wrote:Thanks again for taking the time to answer the questions.

If you have any knowledge on the subject; does the FSU degree have the ability extend outside of FL in your opinion? If so how how far?
To be completely honest, people go to FSU because they want to practice law in Florida (most of the time) or because they are Seminole fans (never, haha). All kidding aside, FSU is a great school if you want to practice in Florida because the school's alumni mainly reside in Florida (meaning the people who are going to hire you) and the classes sometimes focus on Florida elements of law as when giving specific example of laws in that area. On to your question, the JD from FSU will extend outside of Florida as far as you make it go. If you are #1 in your class, on journals, and mock trial team, I guarantee you could apply for jobs in any state and have a good a shot as any. Chances are though, your degree will be most valuable in Florida and the southeast, beyond that you would have to do something beyond to make it 'extend outside of FL'.

tjeffery wrote:Are there many married students? Any comments on how married people get along at FSU?

Yes, there is a large contingent of you married folks at FSU law. It was actually something I was not expecting when starting law school, but didn't really affect me one way or the other. I am guessing the 'get along' question is meant to be very broad so I will answer it broadly; Married students get along just like any other student. Main difference being that they have other obligations (i.e. spouse) that other students don't have to worry about. Some do very well in law school, treating like a job where they are in the library or class from 9-5, while others take the opportunity to go home to be with their family and read/study there.

Tallahassee is a medium sized city, it has a medium amount of crime to match that. I agree with parts of what lawduder stated about crime in Tallahassee, namely that I have never felt unsafe here. Granted, there are not-so-great (read: bad) neighborhoods but in general I feel as safe here as I would just about anywhere. If you were to read the Tallahassee Democrat's crime section I'd be willing to bet a vast majority of all crimes committed here occur in a few selected parts of town. Come take a tour of campus, the law school, and the town itself (esp the surrounding areas where you would most likely live) and see for yourself.

Pardon any spelling and/or grammatical errors.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”